Is Joe Manganiello The Next Superman?

True Blood star Joe Manganiello in talks to play SupermanJoe Manganiello is appearing at True Blood convention EyeCon this weekend, and per reports from fans at the convention, he revealed that he is in talks with Warner Bros. to play the Man of Steel in the upcoming Superman reboot. Others rumored to be up for the role are Brendan Routh who played Clark Kent in Superman Returns and Tom Welling who has played the role on Smallville for 10 seasons. The feature will be directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300) and produced by Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas (Batman franchise reboot).

Updated 5:55PM: Joe took to Twitter to clarify his statements:

“Just to be clear… as of today, I am not “negotiating” to play SuperMan …but keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the wishful thinking!”

This likely means he’s still on the list, but has not (yet) been offered the role.

What do you think, would Joe make a good Superman during his time off from playing Alcide on True Blood?

1. v

November 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Oy Vey! Not another Superman movie… the last one was REALLY bad!!!

2. Pam

November 7, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Joe Manganiello cannot play Superman. Every Superman there ever was has always looked alike. Christopher Reeve, Tom Welling, and Brendan Routh; they all looked alike. Joe Manganiello does NOT look like them at all.

November 7, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Just like Christian Bale could never play Batman, right?

• Wit Dickman

November 7, 2010 at 8:02 pm

maybe that’s why they should

• Loona

November 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I agree, a slight change might be what’s needed…

3. Steve C.

November 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

They all looked alike? Really Routh couldn’t hold a burnt match to Reeve and George Reeve looks nothing like either of them so get the facts right, Joe Mags is Superman, he absolutely could play the part! Sorry But GO JOE!!!!!!!!!

4. Katharine

November 8, 2010 at 10:42 am

Actually, I thought Brendan Routh did an excellent job as Superman; he was a good actor in a poorly scripted and directed movie.

5. Loona

November 8, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I can’t picture anyone BUT Joe in this role now! The last movie was mediocre. If Joe gets in, this new one will rock!

6. good christmas gifts

November 11, 2010 at 5:31 am

Hello there.. I am a newbie to wordpress and I been doing some browsing to get some ideas. Your wordpress blog definitely has given me some inspiration. Really appreciate for that!.. and not to mention I’vebookmarked your Joe Manganiello in talks to play Superman | True-Blood.net – True Blood season 4 news, spoilers, & photos! .

7. Captain Flaps

November 15, 2010 at 5:37 am

That’s funny, when i saw this guy in True Blood I wondered if he would be considered for the Superman role. I think he’d be quite good. Henry Cavil looks the part as well