CASTING NEWS: Meet Hallow Stonebrook

Well that was fast! Just a day after we asked who you thought should play Marnie/Hallow Stonebrook in True Blood season 4, Deadline announces that veteran theater actress Fiona Shaw has landed the role.

Fiona Shaw lands regular role on True BloodWARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Marnie is the timid, self-loathing, z-list palm reader who is overtaken by the spirit of a real witch – Hallow – and becomes a powerful witch. Originally the role was meant for someone younger, but is being adjusted to match Shaw’s skills. A revered theater actress and director, you probably recognize her as Aunt Petunia in the Harry Potter films. She’ll be joining True Blood as a regular in season 4.

What do you think? Not quite who I envisioned, but the character suddenly feels much more substantial and even frightening in the hands of someone like Shaw.

1. Sara Masciulli

November 8, 2010 at 8:35 am

Not who I expected! I pictured someone younger, but I expect Hallow to be even more terrifying now with a seasoned actress like Shaw. I figured (but hope) Allan would/will still with at least the very beginning of Book Four. I’m sure all of us would enjoy seeing Mr. Skarsgard running in the buff down the road.

Regardless, I can’t wait!

2. Missy

November 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

I think it is Awesome!! she is such an amazing actress!! Can’t Wait!!

3. Liz

November 8, 2010 at 9:43 am

Oh wow! Aunt Petunia as Hallow? I love Fiona Shaw, so I think this is an excellent addition to the cast for S4.

4. Katharine

November 8, 2010 at 10:47 am

I really like this casting decision, and look forward to S4.

5. dexter30

November 8, 2010 at 11:12 am

The fact that Alan Ball casts an actress of quality like Fiona Shaw makes me looks forward to Marnie. Like some people, I saw someone younger, but I’ll take a quality actress over a young inexperienced actress any day.

6. La Verne

November 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

It seems to me, I am the only one objecting to what Alan Ball is doing. I love Ms. Shaw, I think she is a wonderful actress, but she is not Hallow. I don’t like the fact that he is making her a self hating person. I also, do not like these other chactacters is adding to the show. This man is ruining True Blood now. Last season had the worst ending EVER! Okay, I can see changing things around a little bit mixing stuff up, but why does he have to go out of his way to destroy the stories in the books? Yes, he has done some good thing. Keeping Lafayette, and creating Jessica was great, but season 2 the maenad was bad, and season 3, the fae (fairies) were awful. I started out loving this show, but lately he has really been making it worst. The books have enough chactacters that he can develop, why is he adding new ones?

7. Lidia

November 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Watch out Eric! I think an older Hallow will be much more menacing, I can’t wait!

Further to previous commwnts, I think I must be one of the few that enjoyed the season 3 finale. I was personally glad there was no cliff hanger ending, that way season four can take place months down the track. Remember seasons 1-3 were only set over 6-8 weeks. I’m looking forward to the characters moving on a little.

• Melissa

November 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I agree with Lidias comments about the casting and the season 3 cliffhanger. B/t season 3 and 4 some time needs have elapsed as the first 3 season where back to back. This is especially important for character such as Sookie, Tara and Bill.

• E

November 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I want to see the scene where Hallow comes on to Eric, indicating she’ll trade sex with him to leave his business uncursed. I like the idea of an older woman coming on to a younger looking man.

• La Verne

November 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I don’t believe that scene is going to happen. Alan Ball has changed the books so much.

8. StaceyJ

November 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I’m not too sure. But, maybe we’ll see.

9. Liz

November 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm

LaVerne, please remember that this is a FAN site, not IMDb. If you don’t like the show anymore, it’s probably best that you move on.

• La Verne

November 11, 2010 at 12:47 am

That’s my problem. I am a fan. So, you are saying that I can’t say what I have a problem with? I have to say Liz, I am really disappointed. I guess I can only express my opinion if I want to gush about how great the show is. Well, like I said, I am a fan, and yes, I can be disappointed with what started out as being a great show, and is now moving very far away from the books. I guess if it bothers you, I will not post anything on your website again.

10. Astrid

November 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

Alan Ball has changed the story SO much ! I don’t think we, Bookies, can expect it to be predictible. Last season, I had a hard time relating to the books. Everything on the show was a surprise. It took me time to adjust to the new storyline, but after a while, I began to think season 3 was the best so far.

Yes, I’d like to see Hallow and Eric interact as it is written in the books. But I don’t expect anything of the sort, now. Season 4 will probably be as far away from the books (if not even more) as season 3 was. Or maybe not… We’ll see.

So I’m not so surprised by Alan’s choice for Hallow. Nothing surprises me anymore… She’s certainly not what I expected, but I can see the potential. We have to keep in mind that Hallow is mean and heartless. That’s her main feature, right ? I think Fiona Shaw can easily fit the profile. It’ll be interesting !

11. Majel

November 10, 2010 at 7:46 am

Hallow was a fairly minor character in the overall scheme of the series, she only really impacted that one book. Casting someone who is older than the written version is a non-issue for me. It will be fantastic to see what Ms. Shaw can do with the role. Plus – maybe it’s just me – but the cast is pretty young, especially now that Sheriff Bud and Russel Edgington are out of the picture. It’s nice to have a more realistic representation of all age groups. 🙂

12. Alf

November 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

Fiona will chew up and spit Hallow in our face, I love Fiona, is so surprising that she was casted
    that I am counting for season 4