SPOILERS: Secrets from the First 3 Minutes of True Blood Season 4

HBO GO subscribers (hey, that’s me!) got to see the first three minutes of the True Blood season 4 premiere today, and in True Blood fashion, those three minutes are packed with surprises! The video itself is not yet available to non-subscribers (we’ll post as soon as it is), but we’ve got the scoop on what happens to share with you.

Sookie finds all sorts of surprises in faerie land.

The episode opens in the faerie world where all is calm and pleasant, full of tinkling music and happy people. A golden light pulses and Sookie appears with Claudine. Inquiring if Claudine is the “leader” in this world, Sookie is informed that no, in fact Claudine is her faerie godmother. “If you’re job is to look after me, can I just say that you suck? Do you know many times I could’ve used a faerie godmother?” Sookie huffs. “You’re still alive, aren’t you? You’re not exactly Miss Trouble Free you know,” Claudine notes.

At this point Sookie is greeted by Barry the Bellboy, who just arrived with his faerie godmother, Lloyd. I know, right? The faeries go off to get a drink and let Barry & Sookie catch up. Another faerie comes by and offers them a lumiere, a “light fruit,” what look like glowing peaches. As Barry bites into his, Sookie sees others eating them and something seems “off” to her. She warns Barry to stop, but then her eye is caught by a man off to the side, enjoying his own fruit. It’s her grandaddy, Earl. She greets him, but Earl doesn’t recognize her. When she tells him who she is, he is disbelieving. “I just saw you last week, it was your birthday.” “Grandaddy, that was 20 years ago.” Cut to black.

So what did we learn?

• Time in faerie land is not the same as in our world.
  • Barry and Sookie weren’t the only humans present raising the question of just how many people with faerie blood exist.
  • In the True Blood-verse, it appears that Earl didn’t die, he just disappeared into faerie land.

HBO GO promises to reveal three more minutes from the premiere next week. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to catch up on Game of Thrones while sitting in my backyard soaking up the sun.

1. Emily

May 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Here is a link to watch it on YouTube. It isn’t the greatest quality but it works!

2. Dan

May 30, 2011 at 4:06 am

Even in the books I raised an eyebrow at the whole “Fairy Thing” … I think Ball has done an amazing job translating these stories to the screen… so we’ll see.. But I’m not sure how this “fairy” world is gonna work out…

3. Bethany

May 31, 2011 at 3:49 am

First off… I totally called it. In a previous thread I speculated that “Grandpa Earl” would be found in Farie (still feels wrong to spell it that way) when it was announced that Gary Cole would be guesting on the show. I Soooooo called it. :) And I am glad that I did. I think that is going to make for some wonderful storyline ideas.

I have to agree with Dan, the Fairy thing made me wonder how it would translate to the screen, and I think they are playing it out well. However I do wish they had Brandon and Fintan and Dermot and of course Niall rather than some of the others I have heard mentioned. Even if they don’t interact with Sookie just yet. I think it would be really fun if they could work in a single episode of “Gift Wrap” too. (wink wink say no more).

It looks to me that this Light Fruit thing makes people/Fairies just forget everything and not age or anything. Like they are prisoners or somethng? Hmmmmm, could the Fae be trying to round up all of the part-fae and keep them for breeding purposes maybe? I mean Grandpa Earl was still pretty young, he looked like he could have been Gran’s son rather than her husband. Ug! I can hardly wait to see what comes next. At least we get another 3 minutes next week. YAY!

4. Rebecca anderson

May 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

Well…sorry guys but that isn’t Earl Stackhouse, it’s Fintan! Sookie’s true blood, sorry!, grandfather, where she inherited her fae blood. Also, have to say Alan Ball wins for changing Eric’s maker, he must have foreseen book#11…just saying, for anyone who’s read it. Dont wanna ruin it for anyone who hasn’t…but you might wait till after season 4 to read it. As for me, I know HBO will deliver a fantastic season, as Book 4 is the favorite.

May 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Sorry, but on the show, that is Earl Stackhouse. While the show is only based on the books, I hardly thing anyone will be ruined if they read book #11 right now. In fact, most fans already have. ;-)

5. Anja

May 31, 2011 at 9:22 am

Very interesting! I think you’re right about that fruit, it probably makes them forget real life or something like that. Am I wrong or does it seem like in a couple of shots there’s a Jason look-alike standing, talking to someone? It seems like that same guy is in many shots for a reason. Could it be who I think it is?

6. Devi

May 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’m kind of put-off about the show’s take on faeries and especially Claudine (who’s SO not the fun, lively Claudine fr the books). I actually like that there is a separation between the normal world and the land of Faery in the book and that Sookie has never been able to access it and so there’s a mystery there. This clip just feels very cheesy to me. But then again, how DO you realistically portray 6’0 ft something gorgeous identical twins (with rippling black hair)? lol..

• Jes

June 6, 2011 at 4:09 am

I kind of agree with you- I really miss the Claudine in the books. I always pictured the actress who played Dawn as how Claudine physically looked (because I read the first like 7 or however many books were out after watching the first episode of trueblood- watched episode two VERY well-versed… haha!). Still, Claudine was going to be really hard to cast. It’s not like they could just re-use the actress who played Dawn.

I still can’t *wait* to see how the faery stuff pans out in the series. I posted a comment about the *next* three minutes of the show, but it either got deleted or never went through :(. I’ll just say that it does get way less cheesy, imo, in those next 3 minutes.

7. kiejs

June 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

The thing thats annoying me is that in the books it says that being a Telepath has nothing to do with being a fairy, so it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have Barry being a fairy aswell.

June 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Since the show is only based on the books and we haven’t seen the entire episode yet, I think you’re judging too harshly, no?

8. Gidget

June 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I hate the Fairy Scenes right now. I’m hoping Alan Ball is using it as a Front. Masking their true selves. I hope the Faires are Dark viscious & Blood Thirsty.

Not sure what the Fruit does…..BUT, The 3minute scenelet shown reminded me of Percy jackson & the lightning theif where their stuck in the casino for days after eating the lotus flowers, experiencing time deferently as well as the feeling of total euphoria.

• Jes

June 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

If any of you guys have HBOgo, you should head over there to watch the next 3 minutes. Gidget- you got exactly what you wanted: they’re horrifying.