Tonight On True Blood: “She’s Not There”

It’s here! True Blood season 4 is here! After nine long months, tons of spoilers and speculation, and anticipation levels through the roof, we’re headed back to Bon Temps at last.

Sookie journeys away from Bon Temps; Eric and Bill try to win back the human public; Jason learns that no good deed goes unpunished; Tara finds refuge in close quarters; Sam bonds with his own; Hoyt and Jessica debate the dinner menu; Jesus urges Lafayette to join a coven; Terry tries to alleviate Arleneʼs fears about the baby. (Written by Alexander Woo; directed by Michael Lehmann.)

“She’s Not There” airs at 9/8c on HBO. We’ll be hosting a live chat (see below) beginning at 8:45/7:45c; we hope you’ll join us! While you count down those final remaining hours, have a look at the promotional stills for this episode, rewatch the first 8 minutes, enter our Tru Blood beverage giveaway, listen to our exclusive interview with Janina Gavankar, or pop over to the forum to chat with other fans.

1. MISTYBLU

June 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

WE HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR OUR SUNDAY NIGHT THRILL… LOVE YOU ERIC !!!

2. Tala loves Eric

June 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Is it just me or are there WAY to many plot lines like last season? As a BIG fan of the books I expected more Sookie time on the show but now it’s like there are 50 plot lines and you see Sookie for 2 mins out of the hour long show. I was disappointed last season and I hope this season there is more of the core characters like Eric Sookie and Bill.

June 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Well, as we’ve discussed many, many times here, the books are told only from Sookie’s point of view. This show is called “True Blood”, and it is not from Sookie’s point of view. This is one of the biggest differences between the books and the show. It is the reason there are ‘so many other plotlines’. “True Blood” shows us what’s going on in Bon Temps when Sookie is not in the room. with all the other characters from the books and them some. Sorry you’re so disappointed, and you may not like this season either.

• Jon

June 26, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Yeah, that’s true that the show has more perspectives to show than the books. And it’s true thatsince Terence are alot of charachters, there will be many, many plotlines. HOWEVER, Sookie, as in the book series, is billed in everything True Blood related as the series’ main character. That being said, I think she deserves the most time in the series- not just the five minutes an episode we saw of he last season. And her storyline should be the most carefully handled one- not that convoluted mess it was last season.

• Jon

June 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm

*there, not Terrence. Darn iPhone.

• Sara K.L. B

June 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Loving the show! But agree on the critique. Thoroughly enjoyed season one and two, then season three I didn’t like at all, and when trying to figure out why, I realized it was because I didn’t really “feel” any of the story lines,- simply, probably, because there were too many of them.

I suppose it happened after the love attack from fans after season two and the show decided to focus on more characters and give them more story. This, purely according to the cinematography of making a television show seems to me like a bad move. Should have tried to keep the attention on other characters a tad less, like season two. Keeps the fans hungry and wanting more, instead of feeling “full”, like I was left feeling last season. Fans still seem as hungry as ever though so obviously it’s not as damaging as I percieve it! And I suppose that for the people who have read the books it a joy to see more of their favourite characters in action and not only the main character. All I’m saying though is that this critique is not silly in any way! Would like to see writers or whomever in charge play it with more cool.

Now! That said, I still think this season will be excellent and I passionately look forward to it! I have not read the books but I have heard some rumours on what is to come – and also excited to see my fellow swede Skarsgård again.

Best wishes and lots of electronic love,
            Sara

• CathyW.

June 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm

As a big fan of the books I understand about too many story lines, but Alan Ball brought up a good point that if Sookie was in the show as much as in the books Anna Pacquin would have to be in just about every scene of the show, so I think they had to expand other stories. I can’t believe tonights finally here!!! Go Eric!!

June 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, Cathy!

3. Sole

June 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m mostly enjoying the HBO writing to expand the plot. Hoping Sam comes out of his funk asap because it doesn’t chime with the demeanor of his character. Happy the show made Godric Eric’s maker so, we all know there won’t be the ridiculous arranged marriage story-line that’s been ticking me off in the book series.

I don’t get all the wishes for Alcide to step-up as the love interest. It’s TrueBlood.. it needs to be a vampy love interest. Besides, Alcide is a were who ends up as pack leader and needs to mate w/ other weres. Not to mention… ERIC! Need I say more? I’d love to see Charles Twining brought into the plot. That was a fun story-line. Arrrr there should be a pirate vampy-villain!

• Maegan

June 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks that arranged marriage is ridiculous! The last book was lacking in a lot of ways, it felt like she was using a ghost writer. Very disappointing!

• Tiff

July 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

Whew! I thought it was just me. I dunno if it was just my take on the last book but did it seem like there was no plot line movement at all. I mean it felt like pages of filler. I kept waiting for the AH HA moment in the book or at least some more development with Eric and Sookie but nope denied. I suppose the only development was the bond was broken, which I wont start on. As for the arranged marriage…ugh Im still annoyed with the book before this last one when it comes to the Eric’s maker storyline. I am hoping the next book turns everything around but more likely this will be another series that is dead to me like Laurell K Hamilton’s Anita Blake or MaryJanice Davidson’s Queen Betsy.

July 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hey, we have a book discussion going on in the forum! Why not sign up and have some fun with us there and we can get back on topic here. 😀

4. Jules

June 26, 2011 at 6:27 pm

“Are we there yet??” Less than 5 hours to go until we get to Bon Temps!!

5. bayoubaby

June 26, 2011 at 10:59 pm

i love the arlene – terry storyline that baby is sooooo cute. did not see tara switchin teams thou…. its kinda hot from the very begining i have thought the writters have not given eric n sookie the great moments they had in the books. all the times he has helped her in one way r another. spoiler: in the book club dead alone then altogether dead missed opportunites. i will see how this season goes …

June 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm

That scene at the end of tonight’s episode, oh mama that was hot!

6. Liz

June 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm

This was a great way to start off the season. I love Bill as the new king. What a shocker that was! Pam was perfect. Eric was, well, Eric-y. Loved Sookie and Jason moment.

So let me ask you all this: how do you like Tara now?

• Kay Bear

June 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I totally agree! And Pam is indeed, always perfect XD I think it was a great way to come back, I am so happy they covered all the bases of what happened to everyone since the last season. (Is it me or is Jason breaking more seams in his shirt than we last saw him? You go boy!) Though, I would have loved to have seen that brawl between the queen and Bill.
      (For the comments above) I am a big fan of the book as well as the series and comic. I knew already they would differ in many ways. You just gotta take it all in and love them all, just in different ways. ^u^ I die waiting for the next book as I do the next episode.
      (For our Liz’s Q) I think Tara is doing exactly what Sam told her, “you can always start again”. I still feel terrible for her for all she went through so at this point she can do whatever she wants, I love her all the same. (Love the way her hair is now as well.) She’ll be back, it’s not the same without her there and no matter where she goes there will be some kind of being besides just humans, it’s inevitable.
      Liz, I’d love to know your intake on the faeries! O.O

June 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm

These fairies are not so pretty are they? They are decayed and crazed and I wonder if they were always that way or if something happened to make them that way. They are also dangerous as we all saw in this episode. I didn’t focus so much on the look of the opening scene as much as the why. Mab explained some but there are still questions. I’m curious and I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of them.

7. empress ammie

June 27, 2011 at 12:39 am

The fairy realm was pretty out there eric bought sookies house that took me like 2 seconds 2 figure that out bill as king I figured out within a few seconds that one was. easy he was alive and the queen was gone pam did surprise me w/her attempt to talk to jessica kind of like a motherly vamp maybe there’s hope for pam yet

8. Jeff Smoot

June 27, 2011 at 6:20 am

Episode 1 was GREAT!! I wont spoil it but episode 2 was on HBO go last night and it was AMAZING !!!!!! They have stepped it up a notch this season, I cant wait for the rest….. It seems like most of our speculations about Eric buying Sookie’s house, Tara “rebooting” and “becoming a whole new person”, and most of the other things were spot on. THE main surprise I got was with Bill. I feel they needed to make him King though, the reason being, Eric is SO powerful on the show, and now as all of the book readers know hes about to become Sookies new man for a LONG time. They needed something to keep people interested in Bill for the upcoming seasons, as well as give him some kind of power. Eric has been the most powerful force pretty much (besides Russell) on this show since it started, and now he has Sookie. They couldn’t give him everything, I feel now that Bill is king, he has a little power of his own, which his character has needed since he lost Sookie.

9. Dee

June 27, 2011 at 9:22 am

Pleeeeeeease put warnings in your post if you’re going to throw in info about episode 2!!!!

12 weeks is short enough. I’m not watching the episode early on www.hbogo.com and I want to be surprised next week.

I’m happier than a vampire on fairy blood that True Blood is back!

June 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

I’ve edited Jeff’s comment above and removed the ep 2 stuff so no one else will be inadvertently spoiled. Sorry I didn’t catch it sooner!

• Jeff Smoot

June 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm

No, I am sorry, that was unintentional, I watched them both and they blurred together, sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone…….

June 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Jeff, I’m having that same problem. LOL!

10. stasha

June 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

what a disappointment I ordered hbo just to watch it. Now ‘m stucking paying for it. They are making it a circus

June 27, 2011 at 10:41 am

How did you order HBO and not know that you have to pay for it? What circus?

11. Carla

June 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I understand that Sookie cant be around as much in the show but why stray so far from the charactors personalities in the book! I am such a big fan of the show and books but I’m concerned that the show is losing me because they are not keeping the charactors true to the beginning of the show. Examples- Sam a killer? Bill lying, cheating, power-hunger people eating and full of anxiety? Sookie laughing like a mad-women while she pours Talbott down the drain (last season I know) ? The relationship between Pam and Sookie in the books is so well done and then just skipped in the show is such a mistake and Jason should be doing more tail chasing and less serious dating. Having said that.. I love Erics charactor, nailed it! Its what keep me watching last season and I hope it carries me through this season.

• RonnieQ

June 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I do miss the relationship with Sookie and Pam from the book, but I think AB is slowly getting there. That relationship can’t exist without the whole Sookie and Eric thing, and we are just finally getting to it! I was upset from the start how AB had Bill kill off Longshadow in season 1 bc I felt he miss an opportunity to show how Eric always care n try to protect Sookie. But the way this season is starting off…I almost prefer it. As you point out, Bill is a liar and manipulator. Hopefully this shows that in the long run Sookie should be with Eric.

So I have a question…with Bill having a “spy” in the witch coven, is he possibly the one who “started” this whole witch “problem.” He obviously must be the one sending Eric to investigate n therefore cause Eric to lose his memory, but if he “solves” the issue, maybe he’ll gain respect as a king?

• Sarah_Jenice

June 29, 2011 at 9:19 am

Carla, I could not agree more. Sookie pouring Talbot down the drain and cackling like a witch did seem very out of character. The thing that bothers me more than the cackling is the screaming. If you’ve been watching the marathon encores of the past season, I can’t even count the number of times our brave and resourceful heroine screams at the top of her lungs before it cuts to black or changes scene (and if it’s not her screaming, it’s another girl). I related to Sookie so much in the books because of her grandmother’s rule that she lived by – a woman worth anything, could do whatever she had to do. I just want to see that girl on the show, and I did feel like they were getting closer last season. The other character inconsistency that drives me crazy is Jason. It seems like from Season 1-3 they kept making him dumber and dumber so that he would have funny lines and add comic relief. Now, he’s in charge over Andy and seems to have become exceeding smarter in a year’s time. I will watch True Blood until it is over, and I know I will love some choices and hate others. My only irritations are not enough to make me stop watching because they do make it a lot of fun to watch.