SPOILERS: Is the Shower Scene Happening?

Ausiello has a wealth of True Blood scoop this week, including that shower scene, Scott Foley’s character, and the time jump.

Question: I have to know — will this season of True Blood have the smokin’ hot Sookie/Eric shower scene featured in the book? Please say yes! —Sam
Ausiello: Yes… and No. “There is a shower scene,” explains exec producer Alan Ball. “But it is not a direct re-enactment of the shower scene in the book. It goes to a slightly different place.” Emphasis on slightly. “Sookie and Eric are in the shower together,” confirms Ball, who assures me that, “Everybody who’s been waiting for Sookie and Eric to hook up, this will be a very good season for them.”

Question: Any more details on Scott Foley’s True Blood role? —Anna
Ausiello: “He was Terry’s platoon leader in Iraq,” says Ball of Foley’s character, Patrick. “So they [share] a military history.” (Rumor has it Terry saved Patrick’s life not once but twice.) Foley will debut in the Season 4 finale and then recur throughout Season 5. Ball, meanwhile, confirms that a deal is not yet in place for him to return as showrunner for a fifth season. “I’m negotiating,” he says. Of course, HBO hasn’t renewed the show itself — but Ball isn’t worried. “There are no plans for this show to end,” he assures. “I’m pretty sure there will be at least one more season, if not more. It seems like it has a lot of life in it still.” That’s an understatement given the boffo ratings for Sunday’s premiere.

Question: In a recent Ask Ausiello, you said that there was a very subtle clue for “one of the biggest (literally and figuratively) twists in True Blood‘s history” in the linked trailer. Now that we’ve seen the premiere — and know the twist in question was the yearlong time jump — you have to reveal what the clue was! Was it that Eric said “for the past year” at the beginning of the trailer? —Nancy
Ausiello: Nope. The clue was Tara declaring, “It’s been a while since I got attacked by a vampire, and guess what — it still sucks.” Had the show stuck with tradition — i.e. no time jump between seasons — it would’ve only been a few days since Tara’s deadly run-in with psycho vamp Franklin Mott.

1. SVB

June 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

His blowing this now makes me *extremely* paranoid.

I wish someone would just gag him while the season is airing. Truly, I do.

LOL.

• NG

June 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

I agree…the shower scene is not important in the larger scheme of things…the progression of Eric and Sookie’s relationship means more than how/when they “do it.” AB is off to a good start and I hope he doesn’t let us down.

2. Jill

June 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I’m worried. Alan Ball is too big a fan of Bill & Sookie. I don’t think Eric fans will be pleased. It’s just my opinion. I have a feeling we will be unhappy with the shower scene. I hope I am wrong.

Yeah for “Noel” um Scott Foley coming!!!!!!

Enjoy the season everyone!!!

• Emily

June 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I know…I have that feeling too. 🙁 He says that it goes a different place…does that mean they end up fighting instead? I don’t know…Oh well, We’ll see what happens

June 28, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Here’s an idea, let’s not worry about it and just wait and see what happens!

• RonnieQ

June 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

What if during the middle of the shower scene, Eric regains his memory. ;P

June 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

That would be HOT.

3. Astrid E.

June 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Again with the shower scene… (sigh). Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about it ? Apparently yes… They soap each other up, kiss a bit, touchy-feely-blah-blah… Come on ! I much much much prefered the following bed scene (and all other such scenes between those two, actually). THAT was a-w-e-s-o-m-e !

I’m looking for some hot love and as far as I’m concerned, it could as well take place in the shed on a hay bale, I wouldn’t mind. As long as it’s sexy, True Blood style. 🙂

Seriously, the expections are much too high for that shower and I’m afraid people will be unhappy with it.

• RonnieQ

June 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I kind if agree with Astrid. As much as I look forward to the shower scene, I feel like we’ll be disappointed bc we all envision what it should be and AB can’t just satisfy everyone. I really like the bed scene in season 2 between Dookie n Eric even though it was a dream. I think it better represents they relationship in the book…it’s not all sexual, but they talk and share thier opinions. I hope we do see more of that intimate conversation.

June 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I think the appeal of the shower scene is that it’s the culmination of a lot of sexual tension and Sookie changing her mind about Eric. It’s not as hot as the following scene, but it’s sweet in the tradition of Lizzie and Darcy finally acknowledging their feelings or Margaret kissing Thornton.

• Meanne

June 29, 2011 at 2:54 am

I think the importance of this scene is the fact that when this happens, Sookie and Eric will take that step towards building a somehow real relationship (well. until Eric is amnesiac) It is a big deal because Sookie will somehow come to terms with her feelings for Eric. And I mean come on, a shirtless Eric? Apparently I care a big deal about that :))))) and also, Sookie ranks that intimacy with Eric the highest compared to the others.

4. viggolover1

June 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I agree with Mel…the shower scene it’s not as hot as the bed sex but it represents all the waiting and sexual tension from 3 books. Finally, Sookie yields to Eric. It’s the beginning of things to come. It’s a shame that AB doesn’t see it and apparently CH forgot about it. Someone post it her tweets from the premier and some of her comments where like: look whose bossing around now and Yes, Eric we get it. I assume the first one it’s about when Bill told Eric to leave Sookie’s house. I think that CH has been drinking the AB Kool Aid. just saying.

5. Bianca

June 29, 2011 at 8:34 am

hmmmm…my prediction is they make it to the shower…and bill interupts it. do you how PIST eric fans would be if that happened. and alan ball would just love to throw all of us a loop. i really hope they do this correctly because…honestly for anyone who’s read the books. THAT ONE CHAPTER seals their fate. Really , Truly and honestly it does.

6. Michele

June 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I just can’t wait for the Eric/Sookie hookup no matter where, and yes the tension between those 2 has been building since season 1. I just love how they have had Bill move on and be with other women, while Eric has remained faithful an entire year waiting for her to return. Hope we do not have to wait long.

7. Bethany

June 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I have always considered the shower scene as being the beginning of the big following bed scene. I am just hoping that “taking it to a different place” means they get even hotter. I mean that hard-core make-up sex that Bill and Sookie had at the end of season 3 was never in the books, but WHEW! So maybe they will take it farther? I mean she did say that we were going to be very happy this season, right? Maybe the shower scene will come earlier, and we will get even more glimpses into their physical relationship. I mean when they spend those few hours showing each other how creative they can be, well it was a few sentences in the books. But the show has so much potential for hot and steamy scenes. 🙂 either way, I am just so happy that we can watch the shows at long last. And hope they keep showing the episodes a week early on demand so we don’t have to wait forever again. 🙂

8. Lex

June 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I have no idea how it can be diffrent or slightly diffrent? I am not worried because you cant stray too much from it, that scene is what it is. Its a pretty straight forward scene. lol… A dream?!?!?! Anyways, I agree with alot of you, its the bed pat after that gives the shower scence alot of its appeal.

9. Astrid E.

June 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I totally agree that the shower scene, in the book, is definitely a turning point. The sexual tension culminates and Sookie finally aknowledges her feelings for Eric. I get the importance of the moment in their relationship (and the appeal of seeing both Anna and Alex wet and panting…haha !), but I’m really not sure that AB will use THAT as a spectacular turning point, as some expect it. I have to say that I was really disappointed by some changes he made for Sookie/Eric in season 3 so maybe I’m just being overly cautious with my expectations, this year? … I don’t want to be disappointed… I just hope the whole amnesia part of the story shows what it’s supposed to : a growing bond, an understanding, sweetness and a deep trust and loyalty between Sookie and Eric. Those feelings were really sexy !

10. Mara

June 30, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi, I just want to ask something to you guys. I have not read the books, and I am not interested because then I end knowing the story and I don’t want to. Ok I don’t really care whom Sookie ends up with, although I think Alcide is really sweet. SO my question is, are these feelings between Sookie and Eric generated after his amnesia? because what I’ve been watching is that Sookie hates him, so the only way she falls in love with him is because he becomes a different person?? Tell me what you love about it because I don’t understand. Thanks!

• Michele

July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Mara,
      Since i say from book 1 there was always an attraction between both Sookie and Eric. But Eric has an arrogance that puts Sookie off, so she keeps putting him in his place. Now amnesia Eric is a sweet, non-arrogant man that Sookie completely falls for, he’s still Eric but without those walls he has put up over those 1,000 years. Trust me you will fall in love with him also =)

• njVamp

July 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I think the other thing to remember is that even tho Sookie is pretty conventionally attractive she’s always been treated as a weirdo and never thought a big sexy alpha male like Eric would ever like her so she goes/settles for the nerdy doof she can “get” (i.e. Bill) but she clearly wants more out of life and wants to be respected and known and have someone be honest with her which we know Bill really never is and Eric sometimes isnt but with Eric it’s generally for her own good rather than with Bill who just protects himself.

11. Summer

July 1, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I don’t really care if they only show one shower scene and that’s it. I would rather see Sookie and Eric’s relationship progress, more interaction between them. I loved Sookie’s first dream about Eric in season 2. More scenes like that, just in reality! And I don’t want them to just hook up, I want to see a real relationship between them. The have so much sexual chemistry between them. Eric looks good in anything but I would like to see him naked in bed with Sookie.