Recap 4.3 True Blood “If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin’?”

Eric: “Would you like to be mine?”
Sookie: “Not really. But thank you for asking.”

I love True Blood, but I find myself constantly miffed that episodes don’t stand alone in any way, shape or form — it’s all arc. But I suppose transformation was the common theme in this one: Eric, Jason, Jessica, Marnie.

And we start with Eric, of course

Eric is certainly not his usual arrogant self: shy smiles, ticklish feet, rambling confusedly in Swedish. I especially loved the way he clapped his hand over his mouth when his fangs popped out, the way Jessica does. Eric the baby vamp. Although he’s still vamp enough to make dust out of Claudine. (Quiet sigh of regret that we never got book Claudine, who was a lot more fun than this one was.) Did Claudine have good intentions or evil? Did Eric just save Sookie from being flambeed for dinner in Faerie, or would she have been safe there?

Even though she kept showing sympathy for Eric, Sookie certainly did her level best to offload him on to anyone else. But it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Fangtasia is too dangerous. And the idiotic Alcide is back with Debbie. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in Debbie’s capacity for genuine change.

The reveal of Eric’s cubby reminded me of Spike’s luxurious crypt in the sixth season of Buffy. And we all know why the writers gave Spike that luxurious crypt, now, don’t we? (Okay, if you’ve never seen Buffy, it was because Spike was about to get lucky with a certain blonde. Which gives me hope for Eric and Sookie.)

Panther Magic?

Poor Jason. Is he really turning into a panther as well as an involuntary father, or is he dying? You know, I bet the old Jason would have been turned on by the prospect of a line of nubile young things waiting to have sex with him. Instead, it was actually pretty creepy. Generation Jason in Hotshot. After all the sleeping around he did in the past, it’s sort of karmic. I bet he’s sorry now that he ever made a pass at Crystal, because like Debbie Pelt, I sure don’t have a lot of confidence in Crystal’s intentions.

Regurgitated Ghost Mama and Ghost Daddy at the campfire reminded me of the storytelling in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Except much weirder and a lot more gross.

Jessica and the Fortenberrys

So Tommy is planning to con Maxine. What a surprise. Hard to feel bad for her when she tried to kill Jessica. Except that Maxine may have been right about Jessica, whose thirst for blood and adventure just turned her into a manipulative liar. Poor Hoyt.

Except, again, that there’s something going on with that weird old doll. What is it? More witch stuff? Is Jessica acting this way because of a spell? And hey, who do we know who has a continually growing doll collection? It would be a pretty big coincidence if Maxine weren’t responsible for that doll. And hey, evil doll, Arlene’s devil baby, match made in, well, not heaven.

Marnie continues to confuse me

Marnie is trying to transform herself, too. Although I thought she already had. I’m still trying to get a handle on what’s going with her. That sacrifice scene was gross. I thought for sure she was about to cut something off. Is Marnie truly in the dark about what she did to Eric? Does that mean she can’t reverse it?

And did Bill deliberately put Eric in danger from the witches? That phone message didn’t sound like it, but I honestly can’t tell.

Bits and pieces:

— Alcide has a gorgeous new house. That seems to be a theme this season, too, since Sookie and Bill both have much different and improved houses.

— The vamp that Bill had executed was exposed on Vamps-Kill.com. And yes, it’s a real site created by HBO, although it says it can only be viewed in the United States.

— Eric apologized for “fang-raping” Sookie.

— Bill has gotten busy with Portia Bellefleur. I’m usually pretty careful not to mention book spoilers, but I really want to make a book reference here. But I’ll restrain myself. Argh!

— Steve Newlin has been missing for six months? Has that been mentioned before? At least we know he’s not in the basement at Fangtasia.

— I don’t think Ginger knows what “brujo” means.

— I liked that Jessica went to Bill with her problem. Bill told Jessica to “vamp up” with Hoyt.

— Andy continues to disappoint me. I used to sort of like Andy.

— Sookie was reading one of Charlaine Harris’ Harper Connolly novels.

— In this week’s hair report, Crystal managed to attain a whole new level of trashcan chic with those ratty homemade curlers.

— I just noticed that my cat Fox reacts to the theme song, “Bad Things.” His ears twitch back and he gets an odd look on his furry face.

— Halloween is next week? Please tell me we’re going to get a True Blood Halloween episode. Pretty please with sugar on it?

Quotes:

Eric: “I know I’m a vampire, Snooki.”
Sookie: “It’s Sookie!”
Seriously LOL.

Witch: “What does he think this is? Nazi Germany?”
Other Witch: “He did look kind of Aryan.”

Jessica: “Bill, I am not stupid. I’m just unfaithful.”

Jason’s voicemail: “You’ve reached Officer Jason Stackhouse. If this is an emergency, dial 9-1-1 and ask for me.”

Andy: “God grant me the serenity… fuck it.”
Yeah, I most certainly agree that addiction is not funny. Except this made me laugh.

Pam: “I will give you twenty-four hours to deliver that witch to me. And if you don’t, I will personally eat, fuck and kill all three of you.”

Sookie: “You just killed my fairy godmother!”
Eric: (abashed) “Sorry.”

Fun episode to watch, with the usual quotient of outrageous. Three out of four nubile female werepanthers,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Kat

July 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

The vamps-kill.com site works outside the US, in Canada at least.

2. Ellie

July 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm

After the first season, i read all the books…and loved them! Then had a hard time w/ the second season. Last season i was okay, but now each week i’m reminding myself the books & tv show are just different. but i really did love the book, and this was such a fun one…On some things, i do wish they’d stayed closer to book.

Oh well, TB is still fun to watch! great recap 🙂

3. Andee

July 12, 2011 at 12:17 am

What the the made Eric a wimp. I hope he changes back. This last episode was horrible. With horrible ending. I know the did a change in him but come on really. I’m going to cross my fingers

4. Eva

July 12, 2011 at 12:34 am

I am viewing the vampskill.com site from China so no problem there…

5. Baby-vamp

July 12, 2011 at 5:12 am

and I’m viewing the vamps-kill.com/ from Sweden..
    as far as I know all the HBO created true blood sites in the past was viewable from other countries 🙂

6. tori

July 12, 2011 at 8:31 am

please turn tara back straight god you tortured this woman in 3 seasons then too only turn her into a lesbian so she can find happiness is just horrible writting ,alan ball im a big fan of yours but please turn tara straight im not happy with this you have enough gay elements going on in the show .tara does not need too be gay

July 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

I don’t begrudge her a little happiness, after all she went through.

• Dana

July 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Why in the world would you think that her being gay is a bad thing? Some people are gay and some are straight. It’s about being able to relate to characters and their emotions that make good writing.

• Danielle

July 12, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I don’t care if she’s gay or straight. I’m just glad we’ve gotten back to ass-kicking Tara. I’ll be very upset if her chin starts quivering again.

7. summer

July 12, 2011 at 8:46 am

I thought Fairy blood was too potent for vampires to drink per SS books? But, with the way the series was going with the Fae, I wasn’t sorry to see Claudine turn to ashes. However, I think they will pop up again soon.

I think Tommy is just a little greedy brat, and he really doesn’t really know how to be good deep down inside. He is trying to make amends with Sam by trying to lure him in with Maxine’s property, but Sam is just too resistance to Tommy to really sit down and talk to him. So, of course Tommy curses Sam, ” I hate you” and runs away. That isn’t the last time we see Tommy.

I believe Lafayette to be the key to the witch group. If you notice in all the circle scenes, nothing happens (i.e. bird/Eric) until Lafayette enters the circle by grabbing someones hand. I’ve noticed they put direct emphasis on Lafayette. I think Lafayette is a powerful witch, and it is up to him if he wants to do good or bad magic. Jesus is a little manipulator if you ask me. He is getting Lafayette in all sorts of trouble, especially trying to track Eric down and beg for mercy.

I thought it was hilarious that Jessica gave that doll to Arlene’s and Terry’s baby, what else would Jessica give? Dead doll fits perfect! I agree with Billi, poor Hoyt!

Eric’s little smirk at the end of the show was PRICELESS! Alex Skars has done an excellent job in portraying a naive Eric with proper manners.

July 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I thought Fairy blood was too potent for vampires to drink per SS books?

But this isn’t the books, it’s Alan Ball’s show, so he’ll change things if it moves his story along.

Aw, go easy on Tommy! Remember, he has never been taught right from wrong. He spent his whole life being used and abused by his parents. Sam should have sat him down and talked with him. Sam missed an opportunity to start to build that trust that Tommy so desperately wants and needs.

• summer

July 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yeah, I know the series differs from the books which is good. I just thought that was an important factor with the Fae and vampires, but then again Vampires did wipe out the Fae in the books, but made the Vampires all crazy/strung out because they had the Fae blood.

As for Tommy, yes he did have a bad upbringing, and Sam tried to help him out. Tommy was unappreciative by trying to steal Sam’s money at the end of season 3, thus him getting shot in the leg by Sam. Now, Sam should have not shot him, but Tommy did ask for it! Tommy was a little thief! I think Tommy is a knuckle head and is going to get into some trouble the way he is headed, especially if Sam is not backing him up as a brother or as a family member.

• Danielle

July 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Actually not that far off from books. In books, vamps find fairy blood irresistable and would probably not be able to stop themselves once they bite. They just get kind of drunk if they drink it.

8. Velvet

July 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

Loving it so far! And no problems viewing van kill and lotd sites from Singapore! Gosh, can’t wait for the next ep!

9. Dana

July 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Can I just mention how much I love Ginger. When Jesus mentioned he was a brujo and she went completely hysterical.. I loved it.

10. Lyonene

July 13, 2011 at 12:40 am

Amazing show! I had to watch it a few times to pick up all of the details.

11. Sarah

July 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Off of what someone said about Vampires getting drunk off of Fae blood not being in the series- it is. I remember seeing a promo where Eric is laughing and wobbling around drunkenly. Sookie yells at him “You’re drunk!”, and he tells her something along the lines of “catch me”, and runs off. Unless I’m making it up, but I’m pretty sure I saw it. And it was the same outdoor scene as when Claudine died.

12. Kim

July 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

– I just noticed that my cat Fox reacts to the theme song, “Bad Things.” His ears twitch back and he gets an odd look on his furry face.

My dog totally reacts to the song too…every week, it’s so funny

13. Diana

July 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Who was the lady in the mirror when Marnie was chanting? She looked so familiar but I could be wrong…

July 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

We’ll find out more about her this week in episode 4.04, and we’ll have an interview with the actress posted soon.

14. Elaine

July 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Why do you think Bill doesn’t bite Portia?

• BillieDoux

July 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

Elaine, the reason why is a book spoiler. I think you’ll find out.

15. Janine Du Jour

July 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hi folks. Anybody have a line on what Eric says in Swedish at the beginning of the episode when he’s telling Sookie what he does remember about the witches? He does this whole Swedish speech before Sookie interjects and tells him to “focus” and speak in English. The only bit I could make out was “hennes ogon” (Google translate says it’s “her eyes”), but I’d really like to know the rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• BillieDoux

July 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’d love to know what Eric said, too. All I’ve ever gotten is “krokodiler!” Thanks so much for your comments, Janine.

• Janine Du Jour

July 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

Cool, thanks Billie! Will keep an eye out and an ear to the ground and let you know if I find anything…

• BeccSS

July 23, 2011 at 8:52 pm

“Hi there,

Eric says;

“The wet sand between my toes, the wind on my shoulder blades. Her eyes (hennes ogon). Her empty eyes…”

My husband is Swedish, so I get all the translations in real time 🙂

Love those beautiful Swedish men. Eric’s current baby-vamp persona is very Swedish.

• BillieDoux

July 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm

BeccSS, your translations are very welcome any time. It’s frustrating not to know what Eric is saying. Although I can guess from his tone.

• Janine Du Jour