Alan Ball & Charlaine Harris Talk Death of (SPOILER)

EW.com has an interview with True Blood executive producer Alan Ball and author Charlaine Harris to discuss the death of a major character on Sunday night’s episode of the TV series. This character played a major role in the books, so why was the storyline cut short on the show?

Executive producer Alan Ball tells EW that just because Sookie’s mentor is gone doesn’t mean we’ve seen the last of the fairy world. “After everything that was going on with the fairies in the first episode, I think we wanted to sort of put a pin in that, but obviously it’s not over,” says Ball. “I felt it would have more impact if it was someone we knew as opposed to just a random fairy.”

It’s also another example of Blood diverging from its source material, like keeping Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) alive and introducing the original character of Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll). Says Ball, “If we did just do everything in the books, there would be no surprises. It’s not like we have a formula for what we’re going to keep from the books and what we’re going to change. If there’s a consensus that something makes sense, that’s usually the way we go.” For her part, Harris says she “was surprised” by the death of Claudine, but trusts in Ball and where he takes the stories. Says the author, “If he can be gracious to me, I can certainly be gracious enough to wait and see where he’s going.”

1. Ron E.

July 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I like Ball’s version of Claudine’s death a lot better than Harris’ to be honest.

• Lisa S

July 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Maybe we’ll see Claudette or Claude…

• Teya

July 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm

OMG!!! We already saw Claude a bit but wouldn’t it be AWESOME to get to know Claudette?? We got to know a little bit about her from one Charlaine’s short stories, but, yeah, i think it would be cool for the show to add her.

2. Granna

July 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I didn’t like Claudine’s arc at all compared to the one in the books. She was a fun and happy character in the books who gave Sookie a lot of emotional support. She was just the opposite in the show.

For the most part I’ve loved the show and seeing the pov of so many of the people in Sookie’s life. I have to say that so far, other than the MaryAnne segment, the only characters that I’ve been disappointed about how they were portrayed in the show vs the book are Claudine and Felton Norris.

Other than that, I think that Alan Ball and the other writers and directors are doing an awesome job. We’re in season 4 and hubby and I are still addicted and lovin’ it!

3. Jules

July 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

To be honest, I prefer the character Claudine from the books. This Claudine didn’t seem otherworldly to me in the slightest. So I’m ok w/ her exit on the show. It was funny.

4. amanda

July 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I love the surprises that Alan throws at us he is still taking consideration of his source but adding his own flare, such as bill that’s a true surprise and how he surprises us dedicated readers all the time and sometimes makes it fun for us readers such as Bills lawyer that’s a crazy twist in itself.