SPOILERS: War and Romance Coming to True Blood

In an interview with EW.com, Alan Ball reveals a couple of nuggets about what’s coming up on True Blood season 4. Sounds like they’re planning to make love and war.

“It gets ugly between the vampires and the witches,” says Ball. “There’s more than one fight coming up. There’s also a very unexpected romantic attachment which you’ll start to see the beginnings of I believe in next week’s episode. We’re gonna find out a lot about Jesus’ magic that’s in his family. We’re gonna get to the bottom of what’s going on with Arlene’s baby.”

1. Kelsey

July 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Uhh! so I’m a book fan, and although I’m not super judge-mental about book-movie-tv similarities. Book 4 is my favorite book and I’m kinda getting irritated with all of the other story-lines taking over the main plot…jessica/hoyt, sam, tara, lafayette, tommy, bill, portia, andy, arlene/terry…..uhh!! the best thing about book 4 is that it’s all sookie/eric with a little Jason and some witches! I’m getting irritated with the supporting characters being in the show as much as the “main” characters if not more. There is too much going on in the show. So instead we as book fans are getting shorted on the things that are the most interesting in order to play out all of these alternate story-lines that very few people actually care about. I don’t watch the show to see what happens to Arlene’s baby because I don’t really care. I end up watching the show later so I can fast forward all the non-important supposed sub-plots so I can watch the good stuff. Okay, I’m done ranting.

• suki

July 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

War and romance !!!!ok so i can not disagree more with the comment i just read about to much going on with the show. WHAT! no way! YOU CAN NOT SAY “im not super judge-mental about book-movie-tv similarities” and then go all judgey….saying you want everything taken out of the show that is not in the book lol…boring! I too read the fourth book. The fourth book is good yea. I think the other story lines added in are GREAT and exciting! There is so many exciting things happening i go through withdraw waiting for Sundays!!! I do not think i would enjoy the show as much if it were exactly like the book. You would always know whats coming. I do want to see eric and sookie together… im thinking they still will be? Its what only on the 3rd episode. I am VERY curious about arlenes crazy baby! I think True blood is a masterpiece. Its def my fav show and has been for awhile now……Keep it up <3

• Jessica

July 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

I COMPLETELY agree. If you look at the reviews of the this season that aren’t posted on the hard core fan sites, that’s basically the general consensus. When I was rewatching season 1, I noticed that there was about 10-15 minutes of screen time that didn’t include the main Sookie story line. Now, there’s about 10-15 minutes that DO include the main Sookie story line. I love TB so much, but it’s hard to feel invested when you spend 5 minutes each episode with each random story line. Plus, I’m really disappointed that Bill and Sam are kind of turning out to be bad guys on the show.

• Jessica

July 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

I agree with Kelsey, I meant.

• Kelsey

July 15, 2011 at 11:47 am

I completely agree! It is VERY hard to get invested in any of the other storylines because there are too many…and you only get about 5-10 minutes of each…and I feel like you can’t completely develop at thorough story arch when you aren’t given much time.

• Crystal-Annie

July 18, 2011 at 9:27 am

I totally agree that there is too much going on. Mostly because I honestly could NOT care less about Arlene and her baby. Seriously, booooorrrrring. Same with Tara discovering her lesbianism. So pointless. However, I do very much enjoy everything else that is going on. I love that Lafayette is a major character in the show. I am intrigued to see where they are taking this Debbie Pelt story…I love that Bill is King and getting all power hungry. I like that his character is being revealed as more and more seedy and evil-y. I find Crystal’s character insipid and the whole Hotshots parts annoying because of how it deviates from the book but poetic license, I guess. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that they make the Eric and Sookie portions more amazing…there is definitely not enough interaction between those two right now….

2. Eva

July 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I read book four and it’s one of my favorites, I am upset about Claudine and specially the queen. But the most disturbing of all is Bill as king really? WTH were they thinking I know that they need a story line for Bill but wasn’t him being a lying cheating scumbag who made a phone call using Eric’s voice enough? The only thing I want to see is Sookie and Eric

3. Lyonene

July 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

I couldn’t’ve said it better! More Sookie and Eric. I’m still getting used to all of the changes. It does help that everyone on the show are fabulous actors. Can’t wait till next Sunday!

• queenbee

July 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Why are there no straight blacks in the show and why do both blacks have to not only be interested in the same sex but seem to be interested in just white people? Great way to subliminally nullify the historical sexuality of an entire race.

July 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Um, Jesus is Hispanic and Naomi is Asian. Also Pam (white) is bi, Sophie-Anne (white) was gay, Hadley (white) is/was gay, Russell Edgington (white) is gay…

• Tracy

July 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

All the male relationships Tara has had, have turned out bad. She is to blame for some of those outcomes, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that she is trying something different. Plus she has a cousin who is in a stable gay relationship.. who wouldn’t be a little curious of that? If her being with men = bad times, hey I don’t blame her. BTW… aren’t most vampires bi? Queen Sophie Anne and Hadley, Pam and the girl from Estonia last season, Eric and Talbot, the dream sequence with Bill and Sam, hmmm all of them are lighter skinned so what is the big deal? And there were straight blacks in the show… what were Tara and Eggs? I think you need to look past the skin color and enjoy the actors doing their jobs.

4. valentyna

July 13, 2011 at 7:22 am

omg!!can’t wait to see the new episode!!i bet the new romance involves jason and jessica!!if my instinct is right she will find him unconcious on the middle of the road after returning from work and she will give him her blood to save him!!after she will take him to her house to take care of him cause the episode 5 spoiler says that he will regain his health so i am guessing she has something to do with this! i think most of the hoyt/jessica fans won’t be happy with this change, but let’s face it hoyt is getting boring i think he just needs a normal wife i don’t think he can handle jessica!!i was so happy when i found out this because from the first moment i saw jessica on this show i knew that she would somehow be with jason even if for a short while.i don’t know why i am getting so excited about these two!!!

• Bethany

July 14, 2011 at 6:39 am

I think you are on to something there. There was a blurb that says Jason tells Jessica not to tell Hoyt to spare his feelings right? Good call.

• Tracy

July 18, 2011 at 10:13 am

I was thinking the same thing too! She is sharing her blood with Jason, where is the connection going to take them? Also wondering if the vampire blood will affect the process of him turning into a werepanther.

5. mary

July 13, 2011 at 9:01 am

I am a huge book fan. but i will say i like the differences, this season is close to the book. They are just adding a lot of other things as well, and thats what makes it good. If the show just had eric, sookie, and jason..we’d all get a little bored.

But i do wish they would bring in “Elvis” from the book, i always liked him

• Snarksville

July 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

No, no, it’s NOT Elvis…it’s BUBBA. If you call him Elvis he gets mad. 😉

• mary

July 16, 2011 at 8:46 am

bubba! thats right i knew he got mad but i forgot his other name

6. summer

July 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I hope that the new romance is between Eric and Sookie.

• mary

July 16, 2011 at 8:47 am

it will be!!!!!!!

7. Bethany

July 14, 2011 at 6:50 am

I am an insanely huge fan of the books. I read all 11 books and all of the short stories weekly (and I am not exagerating, I have a lot of free time when I am at Dr apts with my mother who I care for) I am LOVING watching the show, but am extremely upset that they killed off Claudine. I mean Sookie was just supposed to be meeting her, and Claudine should be saving her live over and over again from this point on right? They could have gone farther into the story, and still stuck with that much at least, IMHO. And Eric keeps trying to attack Sookie, which he shouldn’t be doing. It is a HUGE part of why she falls for him in the first place. He is NOT like the old Eric, and yet he can control himself. I thought AB was a fan of the books. This would be the one book you simply should not mess with. I understand they decided to bring in Jessica (which I have personally never understood) and now need to give her a reason for being there. I understand they decided to not kill of La La, and have worked him into the story quite well. But Sookie should be having those little moments with Sam, She should be searching for her Brother, And Debbie should not be in recovery, acting all nicey-nice to Sookie. It just makes me want to scream. We should have seen Sookie going to sleep holding hands with a vampire, not watching him kill her fairy godmother (however that line is a classic and I did LMAO) . And Bill being King, how are they going to even come close to following the story in All Dead Together if the Queen is already dead? And having Bill sleep with Portia…. may I just say EWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok air cleared.

The romantic attachment I do agree will probably be with Jason/Jessica because she gives him her blood as suggested by another poster (so many posts I don’t have time to find it again now) and we all know what happens when you have had a vamp’s blood. Think back to Bill/Sam from season 3. At least it wasn’t Eric who gives Jason his blood,that would just be creepy. LOL

July 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

I am saddened that Claudine is already gone (watch this week’s podcast for more on that), but I disagree re: Eric. He hasn’t tried to attack her. Occasionally his fangs pop out because he’s aroused, but when has Amnesiac Eric been anything but a gentleman with her?

8. Mischa Denmark

July 15, 2011 at 2:52 am

Firstly, I’d like to say that I love reading comments from other True Blood fans. It’s great to see what fellow fans are thinking and it’s reassuring that I’m not the only one who is nuts about TB!

Secondly I’d like to say FORGET THE DAMN BOOKS ALREADY!! I too have read and re-read the books. Though not terribly well written, they are full of exciting and surprising ideas and new angles on the whole supernatural world, and I’ve enjoyed them a lot. Allan Ball uses the books as an inspiration – not as gospel. Personally I find his storylines to be more mature and multi faceted than the books. The series is never going to follow the books 100%, so why do people keep writing comments about it? ENOUGH – PLEASE fellow fans! Let’s all enjoy one of the most exciting, funky, sexy, quirky and entertaining tv shows ever ( not to mention the men….. )

I’m loving season 4, watching every episode at least twice and can’t wait for what’s going to happen next!

• Deborah

July 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I disagree, its not problem for me if they vary the story line to keep it fresh, but I have a problem when then they change the personality of a character. It spoils the fun for those of us who enjoyed the books.

• mary

July 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

ya,no book thats is created into a movie is going to be the same, its a differen’t writer basicly. you are totally right! and in the end we are all going to get what we’ve been waiting for.

9. Jennifer

July 16, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I agree with Mischa that we have to put the books aside for the purpose of enjoying the show. I sort of view the True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse universe as similar to the X-Men/Marvel universe. Comic writers and artists frequently take characters and spin them slightly to give the storylines a fresh twist. I admit that it messes with my head slightly that the mythology of the Sookie Stackhouse books is altered for the show–I’m one of those blasted rule-followers who like a sense of synchronicity between the visual representation and the book. Having said that, I agree with a previous poster that AB’s storylines and character development are actually better in some cases than the books upon which they are based.

10. valuba

July 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I did look at a couple of the books but found the writing lacking for me,but then I am 51…The tv show on the other hand is silly,juicy, and mostly written hilariously well. I’m glad they are based very loosely on the books (from what I saw of them) and my opinion is they appeal to a larger audience.
    I found e03 the best of the season so far but I do like Alan Bells writing and sense of timing.
    I do hope things hot up for Eric and Sookie,I could see her being able to act on her attraction to him now he’s all vulnerably and all…
    and I can’t wait to see what happens to Jess and Jason ? could be interesting there with him all full of her blood and all…I wonder if he was close enough to death to become a Vampire ware panther thingy…

11. Renee

July 18, 2011 at 11:26 pm

THANK YOU!!!! I, too, am very tired of reading all the complaints about the differences from Page to Screen! GET OVER IT!!! True Blood is not Charlaine’s baby, it’s Alan Ball’s! I understand there are plot points you are now unsure of, because of changes to the cast, but that is what makes it exciting. Yes, they are devoting more time to subplots now, but please remember, it is only 4 episodes in. As we saw in “I’m Alive and On Fire”, things are going to get more focused, but for now, just enjoy the show or stop watching! I for one don’t want all Sookie and Eric for an hour, because then the season would be over in 6 episodes instead of 10-12!