Recap 4.05 True Blood “Me and the Devil”

Sookie: “I always knew there was decency in you, even when you were a smug, sarcastic ass.”

This episode was a hoot. We got an upgrade in plotlines I initially thought were a waste of time, and a specific all-encompassing theme: parents, grandparents, great-great-great-great grandfathers, packmasters and makers, and I think we even got an ancestor in there. The whole parental gamut, as it were.

Matricide, patricide, and justifiable homicide

I don’t plan to cry about the deaths of the horrible Mickenses, especially after they tried to chain, imprison and exploit their own son. Does Tommy have the emotional strength to survive something like this? At least he has a big brother who has experience concealing murders and getting rid of bodies. Gators like marshmallows. (What’s that in Swedish? I was saying “krokodiler” all last week.)

It was smart of Tommy to go to Sam for help, and Sam showed Tommy some compassion by sharing the truth about his own murders. But Sam’s coldness has been quite a turnoff for me, I must say; he showed no sadness at the deaths of both of his parents, or remorse for the two people he killed. If Tommy hadn’t been sharp enough to masquerade as a gator, would Sam have killed Andy just as coldly?

Tommy can shift into his mother now, can’t he?

A timely visit from Gran

Sookie went undercover to read Marnie’s mind about Eric, and instead got a strong message from her Gran. And we got a vampire history lesson. Apparently, vampires had infiltrated the Catholic Church back in 1610, and at her execution, Antonia used necromancy to pull them into the light. No wonder Marnie is freaking the vamps.

The execution Bill had to carry out at the behest of the Authority makes more sense plotwise, now. Bill can’t have Marnie killed. And Marnie genuinely doesn’t know how to reverse the spells that Antonia cast (at least Antonia finally has a name) and I bet Antonia can never be compelled to reverse them herself. I wonder if Antonia is an ancestor of Marnie’s? It would certainly be in keeping with the theme of this episode. Every time Antonia looks right at Marnie, I think her master plan is to switch places with her.

Grandfathers with lead in their pencils

Lafayette and Jesus, still terrified of Eric, are off to Mexico to visit Grandpa because Jesus wants that goat-killing power. Getting off on killing a goat doesn’t make me feel all that good about Jesus. I still think Lafayette, not Jesus, is the answer to the spells. I bet he’s the only one more powerful than Marnie and/or Antonia.

Portia went through all of the arguments about incest and common DNA that we went through last week, and I was right; Bill can’t do it because it’s an emotional issue for him. He probably sees Portia as an extension of his daughter. I bet glamoring Portia will come back to bite Bill.

Makers

Godric returned in Eric’s dream, although it obviously was less Godric and more the voice of Eric’s conscience. Eric’s amnesia and confusion have made him child-like. It was so sweet, him crying in Sookie’s lap. And he was dressed like a teenager. Okay, a really large teenager with fangs. (Those shorts strike fear in no one, Eric.)

Speaking of innocuous clothing, Sookie spent most of the episode in a sweet yellow sundress, definitely in line with her new softness. (More like book Sookie, too.) Maybe she really is falling in love with Eric, even though her Gran just warned her not to do it, Eric is bound to change back at some point, and Bill is about to explode on her doorstep, catching them at some flagrante position or another. Damn. Hate it when that happens. Well, it hasn’t happened yet.

At least we got passionate smoochies, initiated by Sookie, no less. How cute that they staged it on the steps so that the height difference wouldn’t be so noticeable.

I was sad that Pam betrayed Eric. Was it just being freaked about her face? Maybe a little jealousy about Eric’s affection for someone else?

Ghost daddy

The devil baby plot was actually fun this time. How did that happen? Maybe because Arlene has realized that baby daddy Rene is probably behind it all. Although the best part was Tara’s horrendous mother and new stepdaddy prancing around the Bellefleur
abode with burning sage unsuccessfully evicting evil from the corners. (Maybe they should try salt in the doorways.)

During the entire hilarious exorcism scene, baby Mikey was wearing a beret. Nice touch.

Okay, I can’t think of a parental heading for this one

Jason is now free, healthy again, and rethinking his former habits, but his new dream theme isn’t going to help that along at all. I could not stop laughing, especially when Hoyt showed up to coach from the sidelines. I bet Jason’s conscience couldn’t quite allow him to cheat with his best friend’s girl, even in a dream and while under the influence of vampire blood.

Now all that remains is to wait and see what happens to Jason during the full moon.

Bits and pieces:

— Did the title of this episode change? When I was looking for photos, they all said something else.

— Marcus Bozeman, Shreveport packmaster, stopped by to assert his authority, and Alcide refused to heel. Wonder what Debbie will do?

— We met the four other Louisiana sheriffs, one of which was just outside of town during Antonia’s execution in 1610. I bet Antonia and Luis the sheriff are destined to meet again.

— The burning sage and of course the magic shop reminded me of Buffy. Sookie mentioned Sabrina and Charmed, and Lafayette called Marnie “Witchy-poo.”

— Sookie kept Eric’s presence from Tara. Surprise. I bet that friendship is over. And Tara’s lies just got her in trouble with her girlfriend. It’s too bad it was the least interesting part of this episode.

— Bill’s prison is a lot nicer than the basement at Fangtasia.

— Andy is constantly encountering shifters in animal form, isn’t he? Maybe it’s his karma.

— Since I’ve mentioned clothes, Sookie’s pink nightshirt had angels on it. Really. Why was Eric in his cubby while it was still dark out? Did Sookie make him go to bed early?

Quotes:

(Standing over Tommy’s unconscious body)
Melinda: “Is he dead?”
Joe Lee: “He’s just resting.”
Pining for the fjords, no doubt.

Hoyt: “You just saved my best friend’s life.”
Jessica: “It’s all in the wrist.”

Eric: “Am I evil?”
Sookie: “You’re not Gandhi. But no, you’re not evil.”

Bill: “Good. The world needs more beekeepers.”

Pam: “I can put up with a lot. But when you fuck with my face, it’s time to die.”

Jason: (as God) “You have fucked too many hot women. Now let’s see how *you* like it.”

Tommy: “It’s in the Ten Commandments. Don’t kill shit, don’t fuck with your parents. I did both.”

Bill: “In the 1600s, that was the Catholic Church. And today, as you all know, it’s Google and Fox News.”
There’s a large vampire presence at Google and Fox News? That explains a lot.

There wasn’t anything about this episode I didn’t enjoy. Four out of four beekeeper veils,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Jules

July 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Jason in this episode was too funny! However, not liking Gran’s seemingly foreboding msg to Sookie. If I recall correctly, she was saying not to trust the love she feels because it’s temporary?! I would think this is Eric’s true self we are being shown. So, how is this love not true?

• Devi

July 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Jules, I think Gran was just making a point that book readers already knew, that the situation they are in really is ‘temporary’ and Sookie shouldn’t put too much of her heart in it. Eric can’t stay memory-less for the remaining of the story, no it’s never that simple and who knows how things will be if/when he does get it back. Sookie’s feelings are very ‘in the moment’ right now, IMO. She’s hurt and vulnerable and it’s nice to have someone else there so it’s probably the worst time to ‘fall in love’ (again).

• Jules

July 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for your insight Devi. It is very in the moment, and yes she is still hurting from Bill although I was over it. I think I jumped on this bit from Gran because I wonder how much vision does one have on the other side…does she know Sookie’s future or just a few episodes down the road? LOL.

2. Kim O.

July 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

I noticed 2 names for this episode as well. I anticipated the Jessica/Jason plot and that is going to be so much fun. I think Pam is slightly jealous of Eric’s relationship with Sookie and she also knows that it wouldn’t help to not tell Bill. He’s older and much stronger and could really torture her and get it out of her anyway. Now we know why Antonia hates the vamps like she does. That was helpful. I agree with the rating too – 4 out of 4 – excellent episode.

3. summer

July 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I did not like when Gran told Sookie to stay away fron Eric. I don’t think he is evil, especially to Sookie, but I am suprised to see the overwhelming Sookie/Bill support on the internet. To me Eric has proven to have real feelings for Sookie and he never would harm her. Of course Tara would be mad at Eric, but she attacked him first with a wooden cross. Anyway, Sookie and Eric’s kiss was cut way too soon. I am starting to doubt if we will actually get to see more of their romance before Bill interrupts them in the next episode.

• summer

July 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

Either way, Sookie now see’s the TRUE Eric before he had to endure a 1000 years of killing/wars/losing loved ones; not the old “sarcastic ass”. I think, if they do not go further with the Eric/Sookie romance, their current romance serves as a purpose. This brief romance encounter will allow Sookie to trust Eric no matter what, maybe even more than Bill in the end (although Bill has more show time). Bill has always been deceitful or has withheld important information from her, like being a spy! Don’t get me wrong, he has hid pertinent info on Sookie from Nan and others, but for his own selfish reasons. Eric has always been truthful to Sookie when he was confronted. Eric has always been attracted to Sookie from the first time he laid eyes on her. Eric may end up all goo-goo-ga-ga over Sookie after his amnesia, but in the end Sookie will make the ultimate decision on who she wants to be with.

4. Katharina

July 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I think ‘krokodiler’ is more like the crocodile, but I am actually not sure if the alligator is different to the crocodile? ôo
    Well in German it’s Krokodil so I see similarities 😀

5. Namz

July 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

I love the Eric Sookie story line….dont care for Bill at all.

• summer

July 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

I hit rewind like four times to see the Sookie/Eric kiss. Alex is playing Eric so well! The wait was well worth it! Oh, and Anna is doing a great job too!

• Janine Du Jour

July 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

Hi Namz and Summer… Am in total agreement about the Sookie/Eric smooch, although I think we were deprived a bit… Would it have killed Alan Ball to give us a scene that lasted more than five seconds?! It was the first time Sookie had willingly initiated such intimacy with the Viking, after all.

But I love the fact that Nathan Barr is making these moments so much more evocative with his amazing score… What I’ve come to call the Sookie/Eric love theme is becoming more commonplace and the beautiful string arrangements are entirely different to the piano-heavy melody we saw when the romance was between Sookie/Bill. Barr seems to be building on the tune he first used in Season 2 (specifically the dream sequence where Sookie goes to comfort Eric after Godric meets the sun and he’s bleeding tears). Take a listen to “Eric’s Grief and The Bleeds” on the Season 2 original score CD and then watch Me And The Devil again – you’ll hear the same arrangements! *sigh*

Kudos to Alex and Anna for great performances in this episode, and to Stephen, who imbued Bill with the necessary shock/pain/anger when Pam told him where Eric was hiding. Episode 6 is going to be awesome!

6. Emily

July 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

“…No wonder Marnie is freaking the vamps.”
    I hope you mean freaking out the vamps? Haha

7. Astrid E.

July 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Loved everything (almost) about this episode !!

But am I the only one sick of Tara ? She’s about to turn into a kind of Buffy the vampire slayer (as seen in the previews). Bleh… Always angry, always yelling insults, never trying to understand what goes on around her. I liked her in the first season, but now, I just see her as if she finds everybody stupid and wants to kill everyone. LAME !!!! Can’t she get over it, already ?!! I know, she had a terrible life, blablabla… But a few characters in the show also went through some pretty hard stuff in their lives and they don’t go berserk each time a fly passes by…

8. Jesse

July 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

I was wondering if you ever had in regard to the “Evil baby” plot considered that up until Jessica gave baby Mikey the burned and ruined doll that most of the strange going ons had been entirely in Arlene’s head and after the gift of the doll they aren’t in Arlene’s head?

Given that magic is the major theme of the season it should stand to reason that a “cursed item” plotline isn’t out of the question.

Jessica and Hoyt couldn’t get rid of the doll until they gave it away to another, a common theme with cursed items. When all the strange (out of Arlene’s head) happenings occur there is a breif glance of the doll at or near the start of the scene, then it is out of sight the rest of the time.

9. BillieDoux

July 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

viggolover1 , I’m really sorry, but I had to delete your comment. It had pretty serious book spoilers. You’re very welcome to repost your comment without the spoilers.