RECAP: True Blood 4.06 “I Wish I Was the Moon”

Sookie: “But if you turn into a panther, won’t the handcuffs just fall off?”

It’s the full moon, and we got another cohesive and fun episode about transformation. And Sookie and Eric made love in the moonlight. About time. Did we really have to wait three and a half seasons for this?

Where was I? Oh, yes. Sookie had a point about everyone in Bon Temps changing into something else.

Eric into sweetheart

Arrogant Viking vampire Eric Northman has turned into a man that Sookie can love. And I think she does. This was by far their most romantic episode. Sookie was very protective of Eric, to the point of exchanging vicious insults with Bill. (I’m liking Sookie a lot lately.) And Eric doesn’t want to remember his past. When Eric said he would go to the true death knowing what it meant to love, I was actually freaking a bit. (After what happened to Claudine, nothing Alan Ball does with these characters can surprise me.) Thankfully, we got sex instead of death. Definitely my preference.

After lying to the Authority to get Eric condemned to death, Bill changed his mind and let him go. Maybe Bill’s full moon transformation was that he stopped being a jerk. Or maybe he’s just still in love with Sookie. Bill knew that if he killed Eric, Sookie would never forgive him. I can’t quite believe that he felt pity for Eric. Not after burying him in cement last season.

I’ll admit I want my barbarian Viking thug back. Eric has always been fun. Can’t old Eric and new Eric sort of smoosh together and become a more perfect Eric? You can’t tell me Sookie didn’t like the old Eric, too.

Jason into werepanther. Or not

Jason talked like he was terrified of transforming, but in fact, part of him was looking forward to being special, like his sister. That was actually rather sweet, and very much in character. I’m really glad the episode didn’t end with a predictable shot of Jason’s hand starting to turn into a claw or something. Instead, we got Eric and Sookie having sex by the… okay, back to the review.

It’s nice to know Jessica enjoys being a vampire, considering the circumstances under which she was turned. It’s also really nice to know that Jason is too decent to hit on Jessica, even under circumstances like these. I mean, there they were, out in the woods under a romantic full moon, and Jessica is apparently attracted to Jason. (Maybe it’s Jason’s fairy blood.) I wonder where they’re going with this one.

Tommy into Sam

Back in my review of “You Smell Like Dinner“, I said I could definitely see Tommy shifting in to Sam in order to fool around with Luna. Okay. Tommy didn’t do it deliberately, but he sure took advantage of the situation. And just when I was feeling bad for Tommy. I don’t suppose it killed him? If it didn’t, Sam may do the job when he finds out Tommy had sex with Luna and fired Sookie. If I were Tommy, I’d regain consciousness PDQ and leave town. And get some serious therapy.

Marnie into Antonia

You know, Marnie was incredibly stupid to let Antonia take over, but we all knew it was going to happen. Although I didn’t think Marnie would live through it. Maybe she won’t.

The flashbacks finally reached their conclusion, and we saw the vampire priests getting necromanced out of their coffins as Antonia burned. And boy howdy, they really deserved it. Especially Luis, who certainly deserves what he’s about to get in the present. But Bill, Eric, Pam and Jessica don’t deserve it, and they’re the Bon Temps vamps who are now in danger.

Speaking of fires (definitely another season four recurring theme), who was that beautiful black woman in the old-fashioned dress and hair who saved the Bellefleur kids? I got the feeling she was somehow attached to the doll.

Well, at least it wasn’t a bunny rabbit

Meanwhile, somewhere in Mexico, Jesus and Lafayette are sacrificing a rattlesnake so Jesus can turn himself into his evil, powerful grandfather. This is such a bad idea. Big bad brujo grandpa was actually right about Marnie inviting possession. And there’s a lot of that going around, as Lafayette transformed into Tio Luca, who looked scary was apparently a healer.

Tara transformed back into Tara Thornton, and she and her girlfriend whose name I just can’t recall may be about to turn into Pam’s dinner. And Debbie transformed back into… okay, I won’t say it. But what she wants is more important to her than Alcide is. And Alcide doesn’t like being forced into a pack. He was looking at Sookie again. This can’t end well.

Bits and pieces:

— Loved the Eric/Bill fight in the opener, mostly because Eric was tossing Bill around like stuffed animal. Because Eric is a whole lot older, of course.

— Sam Trammell did a great Marshall Allman imitation. In fact, I thought Sam Trammell did a great job, period.

— Terry and Arlene lost their house. But at least Terry saved the armadillo under the bed. Why weren’t he and Arlene looking for Cobe and Lisa? I thought I heard Terry say something about the kids when they were running for the door screaming for the baby, so I have to assume he checked and didn’t find them.

— Holly lost her home, too. And she’s apparently about to start dating Andy. Maybe she can put a spell on him and get him off V, because I’m so tired of him being an ass.

— Shifters can’t be made, they can only be born. Good to know.

— You know, the goat didn’t exactly come to Jesus when he was little. It was tied up.

— Poor Pam can feel herself rotting. Fortunately, she’s still funny.

Quotes:

Eric: “You’re the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.”
Sookie: “Only because you can’t remember anything else.”

Pam: “Let me tell you a little something about ‘King Bill’. He’s a self-loathing, power-hungry pompous little dork, and you hate his guts.”

Pam: “You are a Viking vampire god, and you bow to no one. If someone crosses you, you rip out their liver with one fang.” Love the imagery.

Sam: “At least you all are okay. That’s what matters, right?”
Arlene: “Yeah, okay. The ghost of my serial-killing ex-fiance just tried to murder us in our sleep. We’re just peachy.”

Sam: “I don’t know what’s going on with you, but if you don’t shut the fuck up and stop fucking with me, I’m gonna turn into a Doberman and chew off your goddam face.”
Andy: “Then I will call animal control and have you put to sleep.”

Lala: “Goat tongue for breakfast. Wow. It smells… well done. Yummy.”

Jason: “It’s like a werewolf except it’s a big ass cat.”

Jason: “The second I start sprouting fur, I want you to shoot me right in the head.”
Sookie: “I’m not gonna shoot you.”
Jason: “But you promised.”
Sookie: “I promised I take care of you.”
Jason: “What you think that meant? Change my kitty litter?”

Sookie: “I thought witches were just in fairy tales.”
Jason: “Or that goth store at the mall buying pentagram stretch pants. Scary.”

Jason: “I’m a police officer and a were panther! Back off!”

Sookie: “You’ve already helped me more than you know. Go shed, kill stuff, do whatever werewolves do. I got this.”

Eric: “Sookie. Tell her I was born the night she found me. And because of her, I went to my true death knowing what it means to love.” Awww. You know, it’s not easy pulling off a line like this. Skarsgard is doing such a terrific job with amnesiac Eric.

Any episode that begins *and* ends with Sookie and Eric making passionate love gets four out of four sacrificed rattlesnakes,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. ebjork

August 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

THANK YOU Alan Ball!!!! Last night’s episode was awesome!
    Thank you to the cast and crew for bringing Charlaine’s Harris’ characters to life!
    Did I mention I loved last night’s episode! :)

2. Jessica

August 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

LOVED the fact that Eric and Sookie finally got together and the fact that Jason didn’t turn into a werepanther. Jason is back to his hilarious, charming self and that’s cause for celebration. Also, based on this episode and the previews to come, it looks like Tara is going to cross the point of no return in terms of her war with vampires (and maybe even Sookie). Could this mean this is her last season?! If so, I’d do a back flip right now.
    Didn’t love the fact that the hook up was so short and dark. Remember when Sookie and Bill hooked up? It was well lit, sexy, beautiful, and lasted 2 episodes! Fingers crossed that they take a shower after rolling in the dirt!!!! :)

• summer

August 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

I think they emphasized on Bill/Sookie, because that was Sookie’s first time. Not only was it her first time, but it was with a Vampire. Sookie and Eric was more spontaneous, which usually means they are either really lusting over each other or really do like each other.

3. summer

August 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I was underwhelmed with Sookie and Eric’s love scene. It could have been more passionate. Also, they filmed it from far away, so you couldn’t really see much. And it was very short. When they were kissing, the camera kept showing Sookie’s back of the head. It felt like they were holding back and it was frustrating. Sookie and Bill’s love scenes lasted longer, I think it has to do with Anna and Stephen being married; but if that will be a continuing issue, I think it will be dissapointing for Sookie/Eric fans.

• Robyn

August 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I was underwhelmed by the love scene too. Last week we learned Sookie was falling in love and this week we heard Eric say he loved her but their interaction so far haven’t been meaningful enough for me to believe it. I think if the build up had been deeper I would have not been so underwhelmed

August 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I saw Eric’s naked back and butt, Sookie’s face and breasts…what more do you want? It was a relief to me that the scene was tender and (by True Blood standards) rather modest. Instead of animal passion, it was real intimacy.

• BillieDoux

August 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Three seasons isn’t enough build-up???

August 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

It was for me!

• summer

August 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

I agree. As long as Sookie isn’t with Bill, I’m happy. I think AB is doing a good job with Eric/Sookie plot.

• Ebjork

August 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm

It was perfect! So tender, so loving, so romantic… It was true love.
        Not animalistic sex… this was a love scene not sex flick.

Kudos to Alan Ball and the writers… it was beautiful… beautiful setting, beautiful music… It was perfect!

Remember, Sookie fell for Bill because he feed her his blood… at this point Sookie is actually falling in love with Eric for who he is and not because of the blood… the same is true for Eric.

• jan o

August 4, 2011 at 2:43 am

ditto that. it was pure love.

4. Becca

August 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Glad I wasn’t the only one underwhelmed. I was wondering if Stephen Moyer was watching in the wings during this scene. I would have taken Anna’s place in a heartbeat!

August 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

You do remember that these are professional actors, right?

• summer

August 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

I read some where that Stephen Moyer was not on set during those scenes, so he would make Anna or Alex feel uncomfortable.

5. Holly

August 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm

The “kitty litter” quote was my favorite thus far this season. Ryan really nailed the delivery. Kudos to the writers on this episode.

6. daws

August 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm

How do you figure that Eric and Pam don’t deserve Marnie/Antonia’s retribution? Marnie was attacked by Eric and would have been killed if Tara didn’t intervene, Tara would have been killed by Eric if Antonia didn’t intervene, and Marnie was about to get attacked by Pam if Antonia didn’t again intervene.

Jessica and Bill are okay. Bill could have killed Marnie but didn’t and Jessica is totally innocent in this. Marnie/Antonia are the first TB big bad that aren’t actually bad imo. Antonia was imprisoned, tortured, raped, and burned alive by vampires. Marnie has been bullied, attacked, and imprisoned. I’m rooting for them to show the vampires some humility. Also, I hope that Lafayette becomes empowered by his newfound witchness. I don’t like that he’s always so terrified and mousy around the vampires (although he has good reason to be).

• BillieDoux

August 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Bill as King sent Eric the sheriff to stop the necromancers led by Marnie because necromancers kill vampires.

August 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

I totally forgot that aspect, Billie! It WAS Eric’s job to go and take care of the witches in his area!

7. K

August 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

* AS is really showing nice range as an actor this season.

* Ditto for Sam Trammell. He rocked as the Tommy version of his character! Very nicely done!
    * Fiona Shaw has been completely convincing in her transformation from regular Marnie to possessed Marnie. As far as I’m concerned, she’s been a really good addition to the cast.

* Poor Jason. Given his perspective on it, it seems unfair for him to have suffered all that torture and not at least get something out of it.

* I have to agree with Summer and Robyn: the actors appeared to be holding back in the final scene. It’s understandable, given the off-screen situation! I’m not blaming them, and, hey, nakey love scenes can be awkward at the best of times under all those lights and cameras. However, it does kind of impact the characters they’re portraying. Just speaking for myself, I found that particular bit somewhat disappointing.

• Nicole

August 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

don’t forget… he’s potentially getting Jessica/Hoyt love triangle!

8. Danielle

August 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I so loved sam in this episode too. He’s amazing!

The sookie/eric scenes were definitely to short but maybe we will get more next week.

9. Linda

August 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

All of the performances were outstanding… it aught to be interesting to see what develops between Jason and Jessica, as they have already started to lay the seeds, one can only imagine (ok maybe not..)
    Loved that Eric and Sookie FINALLY got together.. agreed, it could have been a little bit more passionate, (hopefully this isn’t the only love making scene they have).
    Looking forward to seeing the consequences of some of the scenerios this episode. How will Sam react, how will Luna react? The upcoming spoilers, seem to have people getting shot or meeting the sun all over the place.. can’t wait, but then again don’t want it to end…

10. Danielle

August 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I think sam was my favorite in this episode…he’s amazing. Definitely think he is underrated by some people.

Can’t wait til sunday!

. I think sookie’s quote to alcide and debbie was “go shift” not go shed

11. Danielle

August 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Sorry for the double post guys

12. Janine Du Jour

August 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

Before offering my two cents on the Sookie/Eric love scene, can I just say that Sam Tramell was the standout performer in this episode (for me anyway). Wow! Such a convincing turn as skinwalker Tommy being Sam. He had Tommy’s walk, cadence, demeanor and general attitude down pat and I really must congratulate Tramell for his efforts. He’s a talented actor and I think he gets too few opportunities to show his true chops. Well done, sir.

Moving on… I can understand why some Eric/Sookie shippers were underwhelmed by the love scene, but I really liked it. Alan Ball could have taken it in such a different direction – but would a fiery, frenzied coupling in the dirt have done justice to the tender relationship these characters have been exploring since the start of Eric’s amnesia? Eric has essentially been transformed into his emotionally naked human-esque self from yesteryear, and Sookie is still raw from her Season 3 betrayal by Bill, so I’m glad that Alan Ball decided to make their first sexual encounter an intimate one. I think it fits with where Sookie and Eric are now.

As for the cinematography of the scene itself, I’ve seen so many complaints about the lack of close-ups, especially in light of the graphic nature of the Sookie/Bill scenes of the past. But I suppose Alan Ball and the crew had a certain amount of freedom because Anna and Stephen have said (numerous times in public) that their on-screen sex scenes are made easier by the fact that they’re lovers in real life.

I think Anna and Alex did a commendable job. True Blood is known for its in-your-face-sex-and-violence, but this time, I’m glad the nudity wasn’t front and centre, so to speak… It gave Sookie and Eric’s union a degree of privacy, a degree of intimacy, and even sweetness, which I believe was meant to highlight the fact that these two have a real emotional connection, as well as a physical one.

• jan o

August 4, 2011 at 2:50 am

I love Eric and Sookie. I felt their unspoken love for each other. I felt bill finally accepted defeat and realuzed that eric is a beteer man for sookie than he. So, he let go.

13. Shannon

August 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Not enough Lafayette in this episode, but you can’t please all the peoeple all the time, I guess. And am I the only one who thought Tara’s scene w/her GF at Merlotte’s was so very funny even though it was short? LOVED it. The smack on the butt, and Rutina’s delivery of that line when Jessica ran away made me LOL. I would SO watch “The Tara & LaLa Show”. Those 2 gifted actors always surprise me, and I’m so tickled with how much they can do with their (normally) limited screen time.

• jan o

August 4, 2011 at 2:57 am

I hate Tara. Tommy should have killed her already. She is trouble. Love Lafayette less his BF who is boring!

14. Hollie

August 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I always thought that Sookie and Eric had a lot of chemistry and their relationship was very sexy. But after the dissapointing love scene, I totally changed my mind regarding their relationship. Now I think that the best thing would be for Sookie to get back with Bill, since their love scenes definitely did not lack passion, because they were married. Eric should get a new love interest because he is so hot! I want to see a passionate Eric love scene!

• Robyn

August 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I agree….as a book fan Ive been waiting for this season just to see the Sookie/ Eric relationshipbut now I kinda miss Sookie and Bill. Last season when Eric told Sookie that if he met the true death his biggest regret would be that he never kissed her, that kiss was more exciting for me than their love scene this season. However, I don’t think it because Anna is married to Stephen. Maybe the writers dnt want us to get too attached to our new couple since it wont last. Other than that still love the show and can’t wait till next week.

15. glamoured

August 4, 2011 at 12:20 am

I noticed in your recap that you wondered why Terry didn’t go looking for the kids. Actually, that was what he did when he left the room, calling their names. Then he came back for Arlene. Though I wondered how Felix was rescued since the house blew up right after that. Maybe Felix sleeps under the Coby’s bed now that he lives with Arlene and the kids brought him out. Hmmm…

BTW, I thought that Sam Trammell was outstanding as Tommy pretending to be Sam. It was priceless.

16. jan o

August 4, 2011 at 2:39 am

For those underwhelmers of Eric & Sookie, don’t be. Let’s analyze, shall we? What is true love? Isn’t it putting the other person’s priority & well-being ahead of yours? Bill did his job & seduced Sookie. Eventhough he eventually fell in love for who she is and not for what she is, he kept secrets from her. Eric even reminded to come clean and be honest to her. Sookie knows now that he always will. She will not accept that. To earn her love, you have to be honest with her and put her first. That is how she love. Eric truly cares for her, risked his life a few times to save her and for those that he cares about. He loves Sookie, as she him, because they have the same principal. Regardless of anything, they will protect those they love and care about. Most of all, he treats Sookie as his equal, respect, and he trust her completely. He wants to protect her not because she’s weak, but because he can provide his stength to assure her safety. Most vampires will automatically be drawn to her due to part fairy. He is the only one with strength to protect her as she has only limited fairy power. Watching them growing closer with the unspoken love and trust only they both can understand brings tears of joy into my life. It is pure love. Eric already knew and acknowledged how she brought love into his life. That alone completes him and he was willing to die knowing what love is. That alone is selfless. In the end, Eric, Bill, and Sookie learned humility. Bill is certain now that Eric truly loves Sookie and will protect her better than he can. He had to let go. Sookie now knows the feeling of love. She chose to be with Eric by choice. Likewise for Eric. Sookie loves him. That alone completes our beautiful Eric Northman. Ep 6 was puuuurrrrrfect! i felt the love from all three of them. Amazing!

17. Sookieeleana

August 6, 2011 at 8:19 am

With regard to the Sookie/Eric love scene – the problem with it was that it was way TOO SHORT. I’m not a mad sex freak or anything like that but after 3 and 1/2 seasons of build up it should have been a longer scene. I’m still hopeful of a shower scene but this was the first time True Blood S/E made love, a very big event in Sookie’s life, and it should have been more of a big deal screen time wise. I’m sure the initial love scenes that Sookie/Bill had seemed to last much longer. The setting, the timing, the music, etc. of this E/S love scene were all perfectly done – just needed to be at least a minute or two longer. Maybe it will continue next episode? (If anyone interrupts them again I’ll scream!)