RECAP: True Blood 4.07 “Cold Grey Light of Dawn”

Bill: “Killing is what led us to this.”

This was another strong episode that just flew by. Maybe it was all the sex. There were people who actually complained last week that we didn’t get enough Sookie and Eric. I don’t think they can say that now. The porch, the floor, the bed…

The vampires

Are we seeing Eric’s true personality as it would have been without his privileged Viking parental rebellion and a thousand years of power and violence? Where else could this new Eric be coming from? Eric told Sookie he doesn’t want his memory back, that wants to remain who he is now. Maybe he’s just a reflection of Sookie’s love. Eric said that when he was close to Sookie, he could imagine her heartbeat was his own. How romantic.

It’s not just Eric that changed. We’re also getting a more likable Sookie. Anna Paquin has always done a great job with the character, but I haven’t felt the same affection for her that I have for book Sookie. Until now.

For that matter, I have never liked Bill more than I did in this episode. His paternal relationship with Jessica has always been the best thing about him, and his gentleness with her, his inability to put the silver around her neck was very sweet. I actually thought at first that Bill was overreacting with all that silver, but no. His love for Jessica may have just backfired on him. I refuse to believe that our baby vamp Jessica is about to die. Jason will get there on time.

Bill didn’t have to drop by and warn Eric, either. Bill may be a front for the Authority, but he’s actually a good King, and clever. He just saved nearly every vampire in the parish.

The silver chains made for some interesting depth. Bill and Jessica talked about love and goodness and their relationship as they were literally and symbolically chained by their vampire natures. Bill even admitted that what Antonia did in 1610 was justified. And I agree. Nobody deserves what happened to Antonia; Luis and his maker were evil incarnate. But who is suffering this time? Maxine’s neighbor Beulah and Jessica, the baby vamp. I really do not like the feeling that “our” vamps are in serious danger.

The Sookie, Bill and Eric love triangle is being echoed by Jessica, Hoyt and Jason. It’s so sad that Hoyt knows he’s losing Jessica; he just doesn’t know he may lose his best friend, too. Oddly, as much as I’ve always liked Jessica with Hoyt, I’m starting to see her with Jason and I’m not hating it. Jason has changed a lot, and his recent horrific experience in Hotshot has made him even more sympathetic.

Witches, mediums and possible zombies

Marnie has insisted on seeing Antonia as a poor victim who suffered for practicing their “religion,” but all we’ve seen so far is Antonia’s imprisonment and death. We don’t know what she did to get arrested in the first place. Whatever it was, I bet it wasn’t a case of mistaken identity.

I totally get why Tara felt compelled to join Antonia. And Holly was also a victim of violence — I get that, too. I just hope joining the circle won’t be the death of either of them. Well, actually, if I’m honest with myself, I’ve always liked Pam more, so if we’re going to have a Pam/Tara death match, I’m rooting for Pam. (This is hilarious — as I was typing, I mistakenly wrote “rotting for Pam” instead of “rooting”.) Poor Pam! Six shots, four times a day? And I cringed when she dropped that silver mesh over her own reconstructing face.

(Ginger riding Pam’s padded pink coffin like a mechanical bull was one of the funniest, weirdest things I’ve ever seen on this show. It was actually kind of sweet, too.)

Jesus said that Lafayette is a medium, just like Marnie. Maybe the way to stop the escalating vampire/witch insanity will involve channeling the rather cool Tio Luca, or the lovely black ghost witch who sang to Mikey in French. Or both. I may have been wrong about Jesus and his lust for supernatural power. Maybe he just needed to see Grandpa Crazy again and say no to his face.

The Shifters

If Luna weren’t a shifter, her relationship with Sam would be over. Maybe it is. How can they possibly get past this weirdness? It’s too bad, because I like Luna, and I think she’d be good for Sam. I like how she’s honest about her mistakes.

And speaking of mistakes, Tommy is now a total wild card. I simply cannot see him quietly leaving town. The number of ways he could screw up Sam’s life are practically endless: financial, personal, romantic, possibly even fatal. It pretty much depends on how good or evil Tommy actually is, and he’s not tremendously stable right now, what with killing his parents and all.

Alcide is all hang dog about Sookie, pun intended. Surprisingly, the volatile Debbie Pelt has been somewhat reasonable until now, although the jealousy she just showed didn’t bode well for their future happiness with the pack and each other. If Alcide murmurs “Sookie” in his sleep, or at the wrong intimate moment with Debbie, that’ll be all she wrote.

Bits and pieces:

— A dozen WinnDixie roses, Holly touched Andy’s hands, and he practically started choking. Was that an actual physical reaction to Holly’s witchy power, or just V withdrawal?

— Tara broke up with her hot girlfriend. That was unselfish, as well as the right thing to do. Bon Temps is just too dangerous for the average boyfriend or girlfriend.

— Arlene told Holly that she and Terry and the kids were staying with the other Bellefleurs, and Andy was on the couch.

— Couldn’t they have thought of something less painful than all that silver? Like maybe chains around their coffins?

— Eric finally moved on to some adult clothes. Better.

— I bet Kristin Bauer has pretty much had it with the makeup department by now.

— Gold acting stars for Fiona Shaw. She went from crunchy granola to majestic and scary without breaking a sweat.

Quotes:

Bystander: “What, now there are zombies?”
Pam: “I am not a zombie!”
Actually, she is, isn’t she?

Bill: “Since when has any fanatic been held back by the improbability of their righteous mission?”

Doctor: “I can get you a bulk discount on the shots.” Shudder.

Can I pause for a moment and express my happiness with season four? So far, it’s been more cohesive plotwise, strongly romantic and dramatic, and I am really enjoying it. Four out of four truly painful anti-zombie shots,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Jessica

August 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I’ve definitely liked the last 2 episodes better than the first few, and I think the season is really heating up! LOVED the scenes with Bill and Jessica. They were so sweet. I also loved the scenes with Arlene. It seems like she’s back to being funny and spunky, and I have to admit I couldn’t take any more scenes where she just stared into her evil baby’s eyes.
    I was a little disappointed that Alcide saw Eric and Sookie together. Also, Mel was right about Sookie and Eric – the scene in the woods was just the beginning, not the end.
    My absolutely favorite part of this episode was that it looked like Pam and Tara at going to permanently be at war. Since we know they won’t kill off Pam, this may be the last season of lip-quivering, time wasting Tara! *fingers crossed*.

• Robert

August 9, 2011 at 3:25 am

I hope not. I like Tara to be there the whole run. She’s Sookie’s best friend and LaFayette’s close cousin. I don’t want either of them to be without their ‘sister’.

2. Shannon

August 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Loved Lafayette in the kitchen, playing with his fan to amuse Mikey. And the beautiful/creepy lady showing up, singing – can’t wait to see what happens with that storyline! And no one on the show makes me laugh like Hoyt’s Mama – that Dale, she’s a hoot!

• Becca

August 9, 2011 at 3:28 am

I’m watching from Australia, and spent the first few seasons thinking her name was ‘Terror-May’ because of the accent. I found out otherwise when I started reading this site! I think Terror-May suits her much better :)

August 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

Oh Becca, thank you for making me laugh to start out the day right! :D

• Danielle

August 9, 2011 at 8:05 am

Loved Lafayette too. It was like a glimpse at his old personality. I’ve definitely missed his flair this season.

3. analissa rotth

August 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm

i hate eric and sookie together………..

4. daws

August 8, 2011 at 9:13 pm

My main criticism of this season is that there isn’t enough of the witch plot. We’re only getting snippets of Fiona Shaw but she is just killing it imo. She’s right up there with Michelle Forbes (Maryann) as a kick-butt villainess. I hope they don’t take the obvious/easy route and kill Marnie off. This is the first time I’m actually rooting for a TB big bad. But I don’t see Marnie/Antonia as bad, so…

I’m sick of seeing Tara in victim mode. I love how firey her character is and seeing her get knocked around season after season is getting old. Give that woman Buffy’s strength and look out! She just needs some real power to back up her spirit.

I’m not feeling the Eric and Sookie romance either. I didn’t read the books so maybe that’s why I don’t feel as strongly (wasn’t anticipating it on the show). From what I hear the book romance was better (as books generally are).

August 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm

The narrative process requires that they build up to the action, meaning we have exposition and backstory and characterization first. Just like the Maryann plot took several episodes to build up, so does the witch plot.

5. Anne

August 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Nothing to say… it was all very well written up there, amazing episode, not disappointed so far, and I hope I won´t be =)

6. Lyonene

August 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm

The Sookie and Eric scenes are living up to the books. Thank goodness for amazing acting! Really great episode. I liked all the scenes, even Tommy’s, which is saying alot. lol

7. RonnieQ

August 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

What I really like about this episode was the conversation between Eric and Sookie. It think it really represents the kind of relationship they had in the book, and that it’s not all about sex like it was with Bill. Sookie wants Eric to have his memory back and she knows when he does it won’t be the same. Yet she still hopes she’ll feel the same way. I’m interest to see what happens on the show when Eric does regain his memory back n how their relationship will be.

8. Kivitt

August 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

It is true that Bon Temps is NO place for an average girlfriend/boyfriend… But I thought Naomi (Tara’s now-ex-girlfriend) was characterized as a were?? Is that still happening?

9. summer

August 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

My two cents: I think Jessica will meet the sun, as she says, ” I see the sun!” However, I don’t think she will meet her true death by the sun. If you rewind, Jason tumbles with Bill’s security and a gun is pointed at Jason. Right before Jessica opens the front door, you hear “Bang” in the background. A gun did go off, as I made sure I played that scene over a couple of times. So, I think Jessica has time to see the sun, but not burn in the sun, as Jason will save her. Jessica saved Jason’s life, and Jason will do the same for her. If Jason did in fact kill that security guard to save Jessica, he is truly bonded to Jessica. Jason threw out to Protect and to Serve breathing human beings, and saved a dead one instead. Yes, Jason is hooked on Jessica.

10. Kat

August 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

I echo the thoughts of Bill being great this season! I never disliked him but he’s really stepped up in many ways, finally! I love Jessica and Bill scenes. Speaking of Jessica, as much as I love Hoyt I’m not so sure about the 2 of them anymore… We’ll see though.

Also, I don’t want Tara, Lafayette or any vampires to die!

11. Jennifer

August 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Does anyone know the song that lady was singing in the kitchen to Arlene’s baby Mickey?

• Jen

August 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

See my comment below… it’s a French lullaby, in this case, Cajun French.

12. Blom

August 11, 2011 at 4:45 am

I´m not feeling Eric and Sookie , i have read the book´s .. but i gess i find Sookie way to facke and ten times bigger hipocrite in the show then in the book´s . I think she think more of getting her house back in the end of all .

I have also have to give it up to Pam . I think her scene´s have been the best in the latest ep´s , love her .

ps , Anyone come and think of a total ” Mognolia ” ripoff during ” the “Eric and Sookie scene .

13. Jen

August 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

@Jennifer: The song is a French lullaby – in this case, sung in Cajun French. She has a beautiful voice.

Fais do do, mon petit frere
    Fais do do, t’auras du lolo.
    Maman est en haut,
    Elle fait des gateaux
    Papa est en bas,
    Il fait du chocolat.
    Fais do do, mon petit frere
    Fais do do, t’auras du lolo.

Go to sleep, my little brother,
    Go to sleep, and you’ll have a treat.
    Mama is upstairs making cakes,
    Papa is downstairs making chocolate.
    Go to sleep, my little brother,
    Go to sleep, and you’ll have a treat.

• BillieDoux

August 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Jen, this is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Would it be all right if I posted it as a comment on my site, as well? I mean here:

• Jen

August 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Absolutely. My husband is from South Louisiana, and I recognized the opening line immediately. Google did the rest.

It’s funny that they bring in elements of south Louisiana’s Cajun culture into True Blood. In reality, north Louisiana, where Shreveport and “Bon Temps” are located, tries like heck to pretend that everything south of Alexandria is invisible. To me, there’s nothing north of Alexandria that’s even interesting… :-) Guess that’s Hollywood for you.

BTW – I always enjoy your recaps…

• Jennifer

August 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Thank You so much! I have been looking for this song since I first heard it in this episode! I thought it was an french lullaby. Since I do not know french it has been very difficult to find. She does have a beautiful voice and I hope that they include it in the soundtrack!

Jennifer

14. Chelsea

August 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

During the scene in Bill’s basement when Jessica had escaped from her chains and pushed open the jail door, Bill used the “AS YOUR MAKER I COMMAND YOU” bit but didn’t he release Jessica last season? I know it didn’t work anyway and maybe Bill only said it because he was so desperate to get out of his chains and into the sunlight. I just thought it was weird that they brought in the dialogue.

15. Ashley

August 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm

This LAst episode was soooo good. Im much happier with Sookie with Eric now on the show. I was getting tired of her and Bill. Even though I know their married in real life. Im wondering though what will happen when or if Eric gets his memory back whats going to happen cause sookie can be so fickle sometimes. I hope they stay together because I know Eric truly does love her even before……what do you guys think??

16. CR

August 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I think Sookie and Eric would be better if he were his old self. This would be more of a challenge for her and fun to watch.