SPOILERS: Stephen Moyer Teases “Upsetting” True Blood Season 5

MTV caught up with Stephen Moyer as he promoted his new film, The Caller, and begged him for some clues about True Blood season 5. He obliged with some tantalizing teases:

“Obviously I’m not going to tell you what happens at the end of this season, but it’s very much heading towards already what is going to happen in season five,” he said. “And it sounds amazing.”

Amazing because our favorite bloodsuckers, werewolves and humans will have to contend with yet another supernatural something. “I know there is going to be an omnipresent power in season five,” he hinted. “I know what it is. I think we could be heading towards an even greater season.”

And by great, he really means totally infuriating.

“If they go where they’re going, it will be amazing and upset a lot of people, which we always like.”

Ooooh! “An omnipresent power” for season 5? Who/what could that be? Watch the video interview with Stephen at MTV.com.

1. Jessica

August 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This is what irritates me about the show. Why do the writers like upsetting the fans? Does anyone else think it’s Maryanne? If so, I’ll be very, very, very disappointed.

August 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I find it amusing that they throw stuff like that out there every season, that it’s going to be “upsetting” or “controversial”, but it’s never what we think. And to be honest, I never get upset. I guess they have to keep trying! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Jessica

August 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

In general, that’s true. For example, I watch your podcasts every week, but I can’t remember if we ever figured out what the super-duper shocking scene was for this season. Remember the spoilers said there was an “audible gasp” during the script read? Was that the werepanther rape scene? Maybe I’m a creep, but for TB, that didn’t really shock me.

• Shay

August 28, 2011 at 1:20 am

Honestly, for just a second, I was totally shocked when Sookie was shot. I did not see that one coming! Ok, so i KNEW she would live, obviously….but the fact that she was shot was jaw dropping to me for sure. Then I was slightly disappointed there was less drama then I would have liked when she was “revived” with Bills blood. Hoping this at least cause some emotional drams between her and Eric. Hoping for a super sexy, high impacted return of Eric.

• LeAnne

August 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

LOL Jessica! you are not a creep! I agree….. it was kinda grose but for TB it wasn’t that far fetched……………. just sayin’ ๐Ÿ™‚

• QuinnLover

August 29, 2011 at 9:26 am

The were panther rape was the grossest thing ever.

• Kim

September 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I agree. Eeeeeuck.

• LeAnne

August 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I agree Mel! They have yet to upset me to the point that I will stop watching. I love the show and very much find that I “go with the flow”. It is meant for entertainment and to escape every day life. That is exactly what the show does for me. I just sit back and enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Kathryn

September 4, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Actually, when characters like Mantonia are on the show, harshin on my Sookie, I want to cry! I was screaming when she was killed, and now, I’m tearing up as I’m typing about it, she’s infested my baby Fett!

• LeAnne

September 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I know Kathryn! I didn’t see that one comin’!!!! I had amny an idea of who would take over LaLa, but Marnie wasn’t even on the list

• SARAH

August 29, 2011 at 10:25 am

THAT’S THE SAME THING I THOUGT

2. Laura

August 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Ok. So now I get it!

The main purpose of the show is to upset people.

And I thought it was just to entertain.

So I guess they are gonna keep turning the story up side down, thnks for letting me know, so now maybe I wonยดt watch it anymore.

August 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Suuuuuuure, Laura. We’ll remind you of that when you can’t stay away next summer. You know you’re as addicted as we are. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• LeAnne

August 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm

yes Mel….. I see alot of AB bashing every week, but from the same people! LOL….. so….. they still watch

3. Adrienne

August 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Maybe he means the introduction of Quinn!! Who should be played by Jason Momoa! It would upset a lot of Team Eric/Bill/Alcide people, which is everyone isn’t it!

• Astrid E.

August 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

JASON MOMOA !!! You are so right !! He would be perfect for that role !!! He’d have to go bald head, though, but he’s got the size and the shape. Yes ! Yes ! Let it be him !!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• LeAnne

August 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I just looked up this Jason Momoa…. wow! he is HOT! would love to see him on the show!

• QuinnLover

August 29, 2011 at 9:29 am

Please Quinn, Oh Please Quinn!!

He was in 4 books and he saved her life or protected her 7 times! He was the only character that didn’t use her except Sam (maybe he is her boss).

4. Redkiss

August 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Mhh I think it could be Russel – wouldn’t suprise me
    and everyone would hate it

• Adriana

August 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love Russell! I’m hoping it will be him. ๐Ÿ™‚

• edgar

September 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

it is russell. he got signed to season 5.

5. Jules

August 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Wicked fairies! Although, I don’t see them as being upsetting. Unless they really step it up and make them truly terrifying.

6. Nothinbutjoy

August 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I thought of fairies to. Maybe the omnipresent power is Niall.

I don’t see Russell as omnipresent and would love to see him back next season. He’s my favorite bad guy.

7. Daisy

August 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

It has to be faeiries and the Fae War for next season. Queen Mab is back and maybe it was Claudine’s sister that got killed and Claudine comes back. Did you guys forget that portal that is behind Sookie’s house?

8. Goldy Jean

August 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm

If Sookie’s heretofore untested powers save the day, wouldn’t that attract the faeries? Alan Ball said that Hooligans would show up next season, and I can’t imagine Hooligans without Claude. The only problem that I see is how otherworldly the TB fairies are. I always enjoyed how unapologetically trashy the books’ Claudine was.

9. Timothy

August 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm

it might be the fairies. As seen in this season (I just started watching TB), when Sookie gets back in town and is at her house, when she turned around there were three vicious looking fairies racing towards her. That then phased out and it was Tara come to say hi to Sookie. Though I wonder what will be the fate of those Wiccans this season. I thought maybe they were going to have Lafayette battling against Antonia/Marnie since they both are “harboring” spirits.

10. Kathy

August 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I’m not watching it to be shocked or for the next weird thing they can come up with. I want a cohesive story. This really makes me not want to watch next season. There’s going off the rails and having HUGE plot holes and then there’s GOING OFF THE RAILS. Glad they’re making the people who like the off the wall stuff happy.

• Jessica

August 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I agree. I think the show’s reputation for being shocking and outrageous pushes the writers to sacrifice cohesiveness and story development for the wow factor. It’s not that I hate the show or that I never want to watch it again. I just expect so much after the first 3 seasons that it’s very disappointing to see the writers mess with what I believe is the best show on TV. I know the ratings keep breaking records, but if they keep writing coo-coo crazy story lines, focusing on characters that people don’t like to see, and making the characters do complete 180’s all the time, I do think it will impact ratings in the next few years.

11. Vio

August 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

I don’t think we should take his quote so literally. They don’t set out to anger fans, but of course it’s exciting for them as writers and actors when they do evoke such a charged response from their audience. Of course they are happy when the audience is happy, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. realbutter

August 27, 2011 at 7:26 am

Well, its really easy to work out the character that comes back, that is “liked”. You can find out by looking at the Cast credits of Episode 12. But I can’t work out who the “disliked” character is, as they are not credited on Ep 12 credits as yet…

13. Bethany

August 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Wasn’t Hadley supposed to be in season 4 as a vamp???? I seem to remember spoilers back in like Feb saying as much. I don’t think she would be a beloved character or anything, but there are only a couple episodes left, and she really isn’t supposed to play out until the 5th book anyway, or rather between the 4th and 5th books to begin with.

I think very, VERY possibly they will finally give the book fans something to chew on if they speed things up and throw us a bone with Niall. Maab is my best guess for the “Big Bad” teased at for the end of season 4, and it really would open the door for the Fae war. I just feel bad that we don’t get to see Dawson yet, if ever. I mean they killed off Calvin who should have played a pivotal roll in this whole season, right? And Dawson starts off as his bodyguard, so don’t know how they would bring him into play without that.

The 5th season, considering they base each season on the books (VERY LOOSELY) should be about Sookie helping the queen and cleaning up after her cousin Hadley (Trying not to ruin anything there, so you get the point) And now there is no queen to help, but I am guessing Russell will be replacing Arkansas. and Bill replacing the queen??? (EWE) But this is where Sookie was supposed to learn that she has a dab of fairie blood, and I have no other idea what they could be doing with this season. The only option would be to skip ahead a few books and dive into Dead to Worse??? Kind of throws me off, but not that I will stop watching.

• Astrid E.

August 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You’re right. Up to now, and particularly in season 4, the book story has changed so much that I hardly can see how they will be able to play out book 5… I think bookies will have to lower their expectations and enjoy the show as a totally different story LOOSELY based on CH’s work.

14. Gracie

August 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

I want sookie to end up with Bill at the end but I get the feeling she’s going to stay with Eric I hope in season 5 she realizes she wants Bill!

• tlj22001

August 31, 2011 at 1:22 am

Are you kidding me? She is most certainly going to end up with Bill. Everything is being geared up for that since the beginning of the season. Don’t get angry (and no, I am not Team Eric nor team Bill for that matter) but I like Bill away from Sookie better. He is a so much more layered character and interesting. Stephen is doing a fantastic job.

15. Kumpiric

August 29, 2011 at 11:13 am

Do as you wish, but please, don’t kill any vampires!

16. lulu

August 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

well yes the books are looking like being mixed up for season 5,but so what, it will be great whatever happens.Russell come back all is forgiven,and quinn ooh who will that be, cant wait.

17. Patrick

August 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

This makes me very excited. I would expect True Blood fans to want a push. Safety is boring. Embrace the uncertainty!!!

18. Ashley

August 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm

As a book fan, I love the show. And at Comic Con, I believe it was said after this season they won’t follow the one book per season format anymore.

I see that as a good thing. They have more material to work with that way and they aren’t going to have 13 seasons.

I personally think the “omnipresent” power SM is referring to is the Authority.

We’ve seen a glimpse of them in Season 3 and you know that’s going to come back up eventually. Plus with all this talk of “factions” arising from within the system in this last episode, I definitely think it’s them. And I think Russell will be involved with one of the factions actually. The faction that wants to subjugate humans.

19. Melva

September 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I have read all the books and I sometimes get frustrated with the tv series. I think the presence will be a were creature and I think Jason will finally turn into a half man half were panther.

20. Anja

September 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Argh, there’s a new preview out. And I’m pretty sure now it’s Maryanne who’s back…meh :-/

21. Sookieeleana

September 4, 2011 at 6:46 am

I agree with the poster about the “authority” – I think vampire politics will come very much into the mix.

General season 5 thoughts:

Well they can miss out Quinn and go straight into Sookie/Eric relationship as he got his memories back straight away.

I’m liking King Bill (if he manages to keep his throne through the end of the season). They could even do some kind of Rhodes scenario with him?

And I really think the fairies are coming – big time!

22. peygan

September 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Speculating I wondered why Ball just kind of left the Fairy angle and Maeve (sp?) hanging in midair it was a dominant an significant event in the books as well as an important part of we and Sookie learning who and what her potential is.. So either I’m giving Ball too much credit or none..

We know they are casting for a seductive other worldly woman.

The portal between worlds isnt as closed as we or Sookie thought.

We have been told its someone we have seen before. Stephen Moyer said that it is a other worldly being.

Some how the character Eric eatting Sookie’s fairy godmother seems a little too easy and one big dangling plot thread that went no where. Honestly its really that easy to end them actively seeking to recover Sookie? Eat Claudine… Maeve is that forgiving of Sookie handing her a @itch slap?

Maybe they are finally going to address the Fairy Wars and we know Maeve on one side wanted the portals closed and a return of those Fairy related beings. I cant believe that would be the end of it or what a waste. This is a significant point emphasized about the main character the series is created around her growing other-ness. And still don’t know much about the other side.

Just a thought

September 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Interesting theory, but the character they’re casting is a vampire so no way it’s someone Queen Mab sent over from Faery land. I do think we haven’t seen the last of the fae, though.

23. Joanne

September 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I don’t know why they want to upset the fans of the show; that’s a weird goal. I want Eric to get a new love interest; the love triangle between Sookie, Bill and Eric has been drawn out. I also don’t think that we need to see Quinn. There are enough characters on the show and plenty of hot guys.

24. Blomman

September 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

My vote are on Godric , miss him soo .

25. Louise

September 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

As long as Eric doesn’t die, I won’t be upset.

26. Dawnieangel76

September 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

The more I read these comments, comparing TV show to book, the more glad I am that I never even HEARD of the series before the announcement of the show! Everything I see on here is brand-new, and I’ve yet to be upset by anything that’s happened.

Quite the opposite of another vampire show on TV these days, geared towards teenagers, which is barely recognizable from the original books from a generation ago….

27. Patrick

September 6, 2011 at 12:09 am

I’m glad Russell is coming back! The vampires of Louisiana need an ass kicking and a true leader who doesn’t hesitate, for better or worse! Hmm….maybe I’m getting into this series a tad too much?

28. lesa lane

September 6, 2011 at 7:29 am

I think Bill and Sookey should get back together, after all Bill suposildly betrayed her but she did not really love him that much as she just jumped to another man almost the next week. I think this thing with Eric is wearing thin. I think with all of Bills blood in Sookey now she would be pulled back to him and with Eric getting his memory back he is not really the lovey dovey vampire now!! Eric needs a new interest!!!! Sookey and Bill have a very large history together and they are good together as a team!! I also think there are too many WEREs on that show and it is getting too silly. Werepanthers,Weretigers,Werewolves it is just too much and silly now. I like Alecid but not with Debbie she ruins his character!! He needs another interest also!!! The shw right now is too mushy!! In the beginning there was much more action and not so much sex, now sex is just about all that is on the show!!! TOO MUCH!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 9:33 am

1. You must have forgotten that Bill has had sex with at least 2 other women in the year Sookie was gone. Let’s not be hypocritical because Sookie decided to move on after walking in on Bill banging his employee.

2. Sookie and Bill’s history is almost as long as Sookie and Eric’s history, and at this point I would argue that she’s shared about as much true intimacy with each of them.

3. True Blood is based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries novels which contain all kinds of weres and shifters.

4. Well, Alcide abjured Debbie in this week’s, so I guess you get that wish.

5. Do you realize we’ve only had 2 sex scenes in the past 3 episodes? Jessica/Jason and Andy/Maurella are the only ones who’ve had the time to get it on what with all the non-sex action happening. You know: the witch war, Tommy’s death, Andy dealing with his V addiction, etc.

29. jake

September 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

i know in the books after the 4th one, sophie-anne was still alive and she had like demons working for her…they are not a huge part in the books but one does come to bontemps looking for his neice (who died, and he had to burn the body because they dont decompose)… they could really work with the demon thing. it would be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

30. jake

September 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

P.S. i desperatly wanted to see sookie shoot debbie with a shotgun, like in the books ๐Ÿ™‚ but i do kinda like debbie around.

31. Bethany

September 6, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I have to agree with Vio. I think that SM is referring to making the fans sit on the edge of their seats, not ticking them off.

I can only think that the omnipresence will be the fae. Maab doesn’t exist in the books, and I have an idea that to play out what should be in the books at all, they will kill her off and bring in Niall and Breandon who war over how to handle the part fae left in this world. We already saw that they were battling about this in the first episode or two. So this would allow them to follow some semblance of the books without following it completely, as they have already strayed so far.

I would not be suprised to find Russel has teamed up with Breandon, or whoever they have representing him to seek his revenge on Eric, Bill, and of course Sookie. We know he is coming back next season so it would make sense for him to side with the fae, with an alterior motive of draining the oposing fae to bring back Talbot with a little help from the witches maybe??? Not that it could happen, but I could see him thinking it could. He is a tad INSANE afterall. LOL

32. TruBloodQueen

September 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm

One question??? When will season 5 show? Please say soon!!!

Absolutely LOVES this show… I’m sad that season 4 is coming to an end…

ALREADY SOOOO READY FOR SEASON 5… CANT WAIT

September 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Season 5 will most likely premiere in June 2012.

33. KB

September 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I would really love to see Sookie with Eric. I am SO over Sookie and Bill. I can’t even watch there ups and downs and story after story anymore. Sookie and Eric are amazing together and hopefully will be together so people can keep watching the show.