Marshall Allman: Saying Goodbye to Tommy

Tommy Mickens’ death was not really a surprise, but for me it was pretty sad. I held out hope for that kid that maybe Sam could turn his life around for good and all. Or maybe Alcide would have had a hand in directing the boy to better choices. If you’ve been following our podcasts this season, you’ll know that while many didn’t favor Tommy (fans reflecting characters, perhaps?), I just couldn’t turn my back on him.

In a recent interview, Marshall Allman talks about Tommy and what might have been. “Tommy’s inception was always to serve Sam’s storyline. So at the end of the day, while I was like, Oh man, we’re just kind of moving on — my main thought was, I hope the fans don’t just forget about me.”

Well, this fan won’t forget about Tommy. You can read the entire interview HERE.

1. Jules

August 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Idk maybe I have an evil streak, but I was cheering when he died. Says something for the actor though, I was getting stressed out w/ that guy!

• summer

August 30, 2011 at 7:42 am

I felt sad for him when he died. When he was with Sam, he tried to do the right thing (as he thought). He had a short/bad temper when things didn’t go his way, but who can blame him? The people he was supposed to trust the most (mom/dad), are the ones who threw him to the cages. Tommy did make a bad choice when he accidentally turned into Sam and sleep with Luna, but he was on a high, and didn’t have good reasoning to begin with. In the end, when he turned into Sam the second time and went to Marcus, he knew he was going to get his butt kicked. That was Tommie’s apology to to Sam (he took a beating), and that he was ready to give up his life, because he felt he really couldn’t add to the world. Also, he had a lot of regret for the murder of his mom/dad.

R.I.P Tommy

2. Sunday Bloody Sunday

August 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

I cannot believe Tommy is gone. Because I guess I was always hoping things would turn around from him, that once he got away from his abusive and greedy parents and had someone that loved him that he might grow and become a better person. Yes, he was a complete ass at times, but all he’s ever experienced in his relationships was people taking what they wanted from him. Marshall did an incredible job of making Tommy a character that fans could sympathise for, despite his faults and sometimes his absolute lack of morals whatsoever that made you really want to kick his ass. It’s a shame that this character, that grabbed viewers so strongly in their hearts, was only seen as a plot twist for Sam’s story arc. I honestly do not see what purpose Tommy’s death had for the show, this situation is hardly comparable to Godric’s dignified departure from the show. Tommy deserved better than that, by no fault of the great work Marshall brought to the table.

• Kim O

August 30, 2011 at 10:11 am

I think his death is one of the catalysts that will pit Alcide against Marcus in a possible upcoming pack master fight.It also might be a way to get Sam involved in the were politics as well.

August 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

That’s what Liz and I were speculating in this week’s podcast (posting soon). It was sad to see him go, but it sure looks like his death will move those storylines forward.

• Gina Lee

September 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Do you think Luna will hate Sam if he kills her baby-daddy?

3. Jessica

August 30, 2011 at 7:03 am

I was also very moved by Tommy’s death. I did cry–not as much as I did with Lafeyette and Mavis last week–but I did cry. I thought Tommy’s intentions were honorable, he tried to do right by Sam even if he put himself in a dangerous situation. I remember watching and cheering him on as he killed Jo Lee and Melinda–they were rotten to the core. I really hoped in the end he and Sam would come together. Let’s face it. Sam needed him as much as Tommy needed Sam. And I was even hoping he and Jessica may get together for a little while. She needs someone like Tommy to let her wild child out.

He could have used a little more time to reach his full potential, but maybe we’ll see him some more in flashbacks or as Sam’s conscience or something. You never know what the writers will do.

• LeAnne

August 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

let’s hope so Jessica…. I have liked Marshall since Prison Break and was excited to see that he was cast as Sam’s brother! 🙂

4. steph at fangs wands and fairy dust

August 30, 2011 at 7:20 am

I was sad when he died but the story line showing us Sam’s bad side made its point and petered out. How sad that there are real kids who have parents as bad as the Mickens were in many ways I think that the story line showed how hard it is to get away from our pasts, how deep childhood programming goes and how Tommy, even as she was trying to kill him loved his mother, and wanted to try so much to help Sam by taking the beating for him by going to Marcus’ that night.

While kids with bad parents aren’t forced to dog fight in reality, they have situations as bad as that. Sometimes the story line does more than skim the surface. I am involved with a children’s charity and see that with commitment and early intervention change is possible.

5. LeAnne

August 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

I also think that it was sad (Tommy’s death) the actor brought so much to the character. showing his inner struggles. He really did love Sam in his own way. He was afraid to be too close to anyone after his parents ( the few people in the world who are suppose to love and protect you) treated him like a pet or hired help. He was truly sad about killing his parents. I do hope they find a way to bring him back somehow. Love the actor! Maybe he will be one of the spirits to show up in the comming battle! 😉

• Gracie

August 31, 2011 at 3:15 am

I don’t know when Tommy was “dying” he kept saying he wished he could disappear and remember he stole Maxine thortenberry’s money I think he’s faking his death to start a new life somewhere

August 31, 2011 at 10:29 am

That death rattle sounded pretty legit to me. And how could he fake it with two witnesses?

• Gracie

September 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I don’t know maybe I’m in denial remember when he stole hoyt’s mothers money and this thing with Marcus it’s just to convenient for me I don’t know

6. lulu

August 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I think it would have been quite comedic if tommy had stayed in the show and had various shifts into other characters, they should have done more with him.As sam he was really good.

7. Gina Lee

September 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I would have really liked to see Tommy’s life change for the better. He was a great charecter, and when Sam played Tommy it was histerical! But since he had to die, I do think the writers did a great job of giving him that last bit of dignity in the end to choose his time to die. Since Tommy makes “one bad decision or two for every good one, ” it was touching to see him choose to die when it was all said and done.

Sam is so pissed! “Marcus is a dead wolf!” haah! I wonder if Sam really does kill Marcus, will Luna hate him for killing her baby-daddy? Thoughts anyone?