Recap 4.11 True Blood “Soul of Fire”

“No one lives forever. Not even you.”

Wow. That was NOT the cliffhanger I expected. Of course I knew that Lafayette’s gift was going to be important, but this episode was so edge-of-your-seat that it completely slipped my mind until the last couple of minutes. Damn!

The Battle of the Moon Goddess Emporium

Rutina Wesley, Lauren Bowles, Anna Paquin, Nelsan Ellis and Kevin Alejandro in True Blood "Soul of Fire"When did Marnie cross the line? When she didn’t care about innocent people getting hurt at the Festival of Tolerance, or when she killed Casey and crowed about it being self-defense? Certainly long before she was actually laughing when Sookie was about to burn.

Jesus was awesome, definitely the toughest nurse in town. He went to a very dark place to save his friends, and I hope he won’t have to pay a price for that. The past few episodes have made me like Jesus, a lot. I hope that doesn’t mean he’s about to die horribly. Especially since he might be the key to de-Marnie-ing Lafayette.

Jason was also awesome. He saved Sookie’s life by standing up to Bill and company, and then he saved the vamps from being turned into bloody goo. Seeing Jason burned and lying on the street really upset me. And now he’s drunk Jessica’s blood twice. I seem to remember something about three times being important, although that might have just been in the books. Is Jason in danger of turning?

I knew someone would use the rocket launcher because you don’t introduce a rocket launcher and not use it. And honestly, I couldn’t blame Pam for disobeying Eric under the circumstances. Jessica might have done the same thing to save Bill. It’s sad that Pam can’t handle Eric’s obsession with Sookie. The Eric/Pam relationship is one of my favorite things about True Blood. Let’s hope it’s not over forever.

The best scene, without a doubt, was Eric ripping Roy’s heart out of his body and using it as a sipper cup. Badass Eric is back. I really enjoyed seeing Eric and Bill working as a team. Maybe they’ll stop trying to kill each other now.

Meanwhile, across town…

Sam defeated his own demons, and I’m glad. I wouldn’t have felt good about Sam killing Marcus in cold blood. Marcus could have walked out of there and continued to stalk Luna forever if he hadn’t gone for the gun. And hallelujah, Alcide just divorced Debbie, werewolf style. I’m sure Debbie is going to take it well.

What about the pack? Alcide just killed their leader. Will he have to leave town in a hurry?

Meanwhile, somewhere near Fort Bellefleur…

I’m not sure what to make of Andy’s sexual liaison and glowing pinkie swear with Maurella the fairy. Set-up for season five, I suppose. It was a bit out of place with all the fire and blood and violence, though.

Bits and pieces:

— Now that Marnie is dead and Antonia is gone, is Pam free of her zombie spell?

— Maybe it was the clothing or the way she was sitting, but Debbie Pelt had the broadest shoulders I’ve ever seen on a woman.

Quotes:

Jessica: “I am so sick of silvering myself all day every day. I’m pissed off all the time. This is what PMS used to feel like.”

Pam: “Let’s blow up these Wiccan dipshits already. I got a mani-pedi at four.”
Four a.m.? Really? Must be a nail shop catering to the undead, huh?

Lafayette: “Marnie just puked a bitch out.”

Alcide: “Debbie Pelt, I abjure you. I see you no longer. I hunt with you no longer. I share flesh with you no longer.” Cheaper than a lawyer.

Jessica: “I am so sick of this necromancy shit!”

Arlene: “Andy, you remember when Terry went off his meds and he was telling everybody he was King Zignats?”
Who is King Zignats?

If it weren’t for the last couple of minutes, this could have been an outstanding season finale. Sure makes me wonder what they have in store for us next week. Four out of four leather-clad vampires,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Kim O

September 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm

So, it would seem that the faeries are mating with the humans. Have they given up entirely on keeping their bloodline clean?

I’m glad Sam didn’t kill Marcus and it remained a “pack” thing.

Really liking Jesus as well. Hope he sticks around for S5.

2. Adriana

September 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

The faerie romp in the woods with Andy is a setup. I’m pretty darn sure that Maurella is Queen Mab “making love” with Andy to get the pinkie swear that he will “protect her no matter what”.

• Mystic27

September 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

Defiantly agree with you….

3. Vincent

September 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Glad to see Marnie’s spirit will return and perhaps get some justice for her murder.

September 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

Justice? After she caused the death of several innocent humans at the Festival of Tolerance?

4. Jules

September 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

My favorite recap this season (so far), you put into words everything I felt about episode 11. Just want to echo that Eric/Pam relationship is one of my favorite things about the show. The way things are playing out has me concerned.

• BillieDoux

September 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much, Jules. What a lovely comment.

• Mystic27

September 6, 2011 at 9:33 am

Defiantly a great recap…made me giggle…so glad Roy is gone…he so got on my nerves….

5. Anne

September 5, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I actually liked this episode, but I’m a little bit worry about the season finale, I really don´t wanna be upset by the end of the season :S

6. Samantha

September 5, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I too am worried about Jesus next episode. I pray he sticks around. That ending was so spooky. Fiona Shaw sure knows how to play creepy! I gasped so loud I startled my dogs!

• Sookieeleana

September 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

We all seem to have a bad feeling about Jesus. He rocked this episode, let’s hope it wasn’t him going out with a bang!

7. Jessica

September 6, 2011 at 12:07 am

It was a great episode, and I agree with everything Billie said. I’m especially glad Alcide divorced Debbie and that Sam didn’t kill Marcus. I like Jesus, but I am hoping he’s one of the characters who dies in the finale. I think the Lafayette/Jesus relationship is very sweet, but it takes away too much screen time from the Eric/Sookie/Bill/Alcide relationships.

• Susan Openshaw

September 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love Lafayette and Jesus! We can take only so much of Sookie/Eric/Bill/whoever- It spices things up. Lafayette died in book one and I am so happy Alan B. has made him and Tara such complex characters. Lafayette has some of the best lines this season “Marnie just puked a bitch up,” enough said…

8. Jessh915

September 6, 2011 at 12:11 am

Billie you always do such a great recap!! Jesus has become one of my favs now, he has really stepped up his game. I was honestly upset as well when jason was burned on the sidewalk. I love the jason and jessica story line too. This episode was amazing I can’t wait for next week!

9. Nadine

September 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

I am a die hard fan of TB and this episode surprised me! Jesus is stepping up alot, although it is a nice get away from Sookie. Always nice to broaden the horizon of different characters in the show. How many episodes are left of this season??

10. Michelle

September 6, 2011 at 1:08 am

This is just an aside but after Marnie was killed and Sookie was contemplating Eric and Bill, the music in the background seemed to be that which was played in the first season during Sookie/Bill love scenes. Foreshadowing maybe?

• Mystic27

September 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

Nooooooo!lol…I want more Sookie and Eric, but I am sure Alan has her being away from both for awhile…I am thinking the Alcide thing will be explored, with 5 tying in him bc leader of the pack…

• Sookieeleana

September 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Crap – you are too observant. I really didn’t want to know that.
      If she turns Eric down again he seriously needs to move on – it’s not like he can’t get a date – I really want them to be together but I’m starting to feel that the TB writers aren’t planning it that way. If that is the case I’d rather he got his story-lines and cool stuff to do rather than mooning around after Sookie. Oh well I’m still crossing my fingers for the finale.

11. HarpyieSelena

September 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

I can’t wait for the season finale, though I’m torn between excitement and sadness, but I don’t like Bill’s and Eric’s obsession with Sookie, they should care more about themselves/ their own kind, how can they be so blind? And how can Sookie just forgive Tara like that and hug her/ join the hands with Marnie after what she witnessed?

• Gina Lee

September 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I agree. Eric and Bill need to let go, and Alcide needs to step it up with Sookie now that he “divorced Debbie wolf-style” (haha). I really want to see Alcide and Sookie give it a go.

I was thinking the same thing. Tara showed up at the graveyard to kill the people important in Sookie’s life! How can that simply be forgiven, even if after the fact Tara was bwing held against her will by Mantonia. Weird. But Marnie pretty much told Sookie in a nice way that she would kill her if she didnt hold hands so that I understand.

Sookie sure has been using her hand-light fairy powers a lot lately. Now that the fairy story-line is reappearing with Andy and Marella in the woods, I’m sure they will find a way to try to capture Sookie again.

• Gracie

September 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I don’t want her to be with that pathetic wolf he will always be second place to bill and Eric so even if they do get together they won’t last! If sookie tries to start a relationship with that pathetic wolf she’s not the woman I thought she was!

12. Erin N.

September 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

Edge of my seat the entire time! Great episode!!

13. Vida

September 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Seriously, this whole season has been the Marnie season, and I was so happy when she was finally done away with, then ticked off when she was back in the form of Lafayette. Would like nothing better than to see her gone in the final episode, but have a feeling she will end up in season 5. There are so many other exciting things that could be explored instead of the witch / vampire war. Haven’t seen Fangtasia in a long time.

14. Shelby

September 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I felt this season flew by, I didn’t feel like we got to the core of each character like seasons’ past. Sookie and Eric seemed to just go bam were in love…I’d have liked to see her explain more in depth why Eric was her choice and not him. I am not sure what to make of Andy and the Fairy chic except it will be neat to see how it affects him next season. I am SUPER glad Debbie is gone…I hope she stays gone…I want Sookie to get with Alcide for a bit…have a more “human” love interest…and to see him naked..yummy…. I love Pam and her oneliners…i live for them…but to see what she does with eric being mad at her, I see some grovelling in her future…LET THE FINALE BEGIN…and here’s to the next season not taking forever to get here…..

• esw45

September 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Hi Shelby,

Personally, I like Alcide but as more of a friend to Sookie….but I think they will try to hook him up with her next season. Based upon Alexander Woo’s comments and knowing how TB loves triangles, I believe that she will still be in love with Eric and it will not last with Alcide. Bill will probably be in the picture in some capacity as well, wether he should be or not we can agreee or disagree about that. I think Alcide being the pack master will start to change him some what wether he will become more arrogant or controlling….we will see which would doom the relationship with sookie right there. Romantically, we know that vampires will always be linked with Sookie and it looks like TB are transitioning over to her and Eric having a Love/hate bonding now and Bill being a confidant more than a love interest.

It is just my observation, but we will see what they are going to be setting up for next season.

15. Gina Lee

September 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Speaking of Debbie’s broad sholders…What is up with Too-Skinny-Sookie! All I see now are her hip bones and what used to be boobs.

16. BillieDoux

September 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I’m really enjoying all the comments. And I very much agree about Lafayette and Jesus. They’re terrific characters and I love them both. I very much want them both around after the finale.

17. Robert

September 7, 2011 at 12:11 am

Great episode! Awesome show! Best show in network TV today!!! Every week is nerve racking for everyone… Awesome!!!

Folks… There is a reason why directors and producers do not always follow books all the time. You have to produce a show that will cater to the masses and all kinds of audiences. You cannot simply have Sookie and Eric, or Sookie and Bill all day long playing love scenes, and showcasing their love… It will be boring to a lot of people. Hence, why you introduce other characters and give them important roles… and create a lot of tension and unpredictability on the show.

I would not be surprised to see Eric, Bill and other super-naturals eventually fall into the sunset (meet a true death) at the end of the entire HBO series (a few years from now) … AB is notorious for leaving things up to the audience’s interpretation… It will simply be that way in a world where several super-natural creatures cannot control themselves and death is always revolving around the main characters…. That is the life of vampires, weres, witches, etc…

• Samantha

September 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

“Folks… There is a reason why directors and producers do not always follow books all the time. You have to produce a show that will cater to the masses and all kinds of audiences. You cannot simply have Sookie and Eric, or Sookie and Bill all day long playing love scenes, and showcasing their love… It will be boring to a lot of people.”

AMEN!! THANK YOU!! 🙂

• al

September 12, 2011 at 10:00 am

i’m sorry, but i respectively disagree. I wouldn’t mind if the writers got all harlequin on us… Eric + Sookie + crazy love scenes… amazing…. S5 better not disappoint!!!

18. Nata

September 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I agree with most of the comments. I believe sookie realized that Eric and Bill are dangerous, no matter how much she care for them, so she will try to stay away from them and will hook up with Alcides. I believe Jesus is going to die at the end, sad becuase I love his character. I think next season will deal with the war between the faries that want to harvest people and those which want to keep the communication with the human world, and sookie will be drawn somehow in the mix.

I can not say that this season has been the best, somehow I expected a little bit more of the Eric/Sookie relationship, I know the books and the show should be different, but this time the books were much better in managing this topic. I think this season was a little bit cheese.