Inside the Season Finale of True Blood

True Blood‘s Raelle Tucker (writer) and Scott Winant (director) discuss Lafayette and Jesus and their tragedy; Jessica’s decisions; Sookie’s decision; Alcide’s offer; and the various cliffhangers we saw in this week’s finale.

1. Nicole DeZarn

September 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Ok, just has to be said that I loved Jesus and LaLa and I’m broken hearted for them. Also, as a long time Kevin Alejandro fan, I am sooooo tired of seeing him die on screen. Not that he’s not brilliant but, jeez, seriously?

2. elisabeth

September 12, 2011 at 12:20 am

I can’t help but to feel si let down that they killed off Jesus! I feel like his character was one if the few truly good & noble on the show. I love Kevin Alejandro & am just gutted that he is gone from the show. Oh how I.wish they would do some mind blowing mystical realm booggedy boo magic & bring him BACK!

3. Gracie

September 12, 2011 at 1:00 am

Eric did the same things and worse hurt her friends bill truly loves sookie so does Eric bill paid when he lost sookie the love of his life it was very mature of Alan ball showing great class to sookie’s character!

September 12, 2011 at 9:02 am

I can’t understand your sentence here Gracie, can you help me out?

• Gracie

September 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I was saying that Eric did worse to the people he loved he tortured Lafayette fed sookie to russel and was about to kill Tara before witches stopped him! Say what u want about bill he never intentionally hurt the people sookie loves!

4. yazzi

September 12, 2011 at 2:21 am

I read numerous comments and its like Alcide is invisible… Sookie and Alcide is def going to hook up next season. There were numerous seasons where it was all about Bill… then eric…. now Alcide gave her a proposition and she tells both eric and bill its over…. Oh Alcide is def going to finally get Sookie. NOT TO MENTION HE IS HOT!!! LOL

5. yazzi

September 12, 2011 at 2:22 am

BTW best episode yet!!

6. Sookieeleana

September 12, 2011 at 8:59 am

Wow – what a finale! Bad things first – ERIC – WTF – standing there being pathetic whilst Sookie knowingly breaks his heart – that is not the viking I have come to know and love – is he under some bad writing spell? No, just no. And every time Sookie sits on that damned couch I hate whatever comes out of her mouth. It’s pretty telling for me that for the first time ever in an E/S/B scene that Bill is the only one who came out of it talking sense and with his character intact.
    Kevin Alejandro was superb last night – Jesus and Tommy have broken my TB heart and I’ll miss them (Tara, Debbie & Nan not so much). Still not sure about the Jason/Jess loving – couldn’t quite go with this new side of Jess and I think as a woman I was supposed to. Intrigued with the Terry stuff?
    And the Vampire Steve – OMG – I cannot wait to see this!

September 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

What would have had Eric do or say? And I’m sorry, but I saw Eric in all his wonderful, snarky, glory many times throughout the episode. And the way he offed the Gay Storm Troopers, was that not badass Eric? And I think Sookie did a wonderful job of laying things out perfectly clear and honest for Bill and Eric; letting them both know that in spite of their faults (and her own mistakes) she loves them both. Then there’s all the fantastic lines that came out of this episode. I don’t understand your issues with “bad writing”.

• Sookieeleana

September 12, 2011 at 10:04 am

The “bad writing” was a joke about Eric in that particular scene. The way he was practically begging Sookie to choose him was quite unbecoming for a 1000 year old viking warlord and I feel completely out of character with how is he is on the show and in the books. Bill has really grown up this season and he handled the whole thing with much more dignity. And I agree Eric was more like his old self in the other scenes (although I still find it quite strange he is so accepting of Bill being king?). I am a complete Eric lover but right now I feel if he is going to be so pathetic around Sookie next season I hope they have very few scenes together!
        I’m afraid I’m with Pam on this. That little speech she gave about seducing princesses was inspired. And don’t worry I know there is lots of fantastic writing goes into the show. That is one of the reasons I love it so much.

7. smallie

September 12, 2011 at 11:29 am

I know Eric begging sookie was so unlike him. But let us not forget that it could be harder on him cuz he is or was at that moment still considering himself to be in a relationship with sookie. Bill handled it better cuz he was over with her a year ago; therefore he did not have his hope too high. Also, after everything Eric still remains the sexy badass Viking. He has a soft spot when it comes to sookie which is normal for somebody in love. So, I came to grips with his beginning because afterall love can make people do the most ridiculous things.

8. Gaelicgirl

September 12, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Great finale. Great writing, but would it hurt HBO to hire a researcher?! If they’re going to include a Celtic pagan holiday into the symbolism of the show (Samhain) at least pronounce it right! “Samma hane” is a long way from how it should sound “Sow-an”.

9. esw45

September 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I think this is the first time in Eric’s 1000 year old life he is in love….so he acts vunerable with Sookie like he probably never has before in his life. He will probably start acting less vunerable with her and more snarky….not because he is not in love with her anymore, because I think he will be in love with her for as long as he is on this show but she rejected him and he doesn’t want to be vunerable to her like that and made look like a fool again. But it is great that the writers have written him where he can be in love so hard and deep..it makes him a much more fuller character.

I think sookie will attempt to date Alcide but by the end of the season probably will want a relationship with Eric.

10. NH

September 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm

On Eric…you have to take a longer view… I have no doubt that this honest emotion and soft openness now will make it much more interesting when he is jealous and angry and probably making her jealous and angry and lustful later.

• Sookieeleana

September 13, 2011 at 3:33 am

I hope you are right 🙂
      I can see I’m in the minority about Eric in that scene so I’ll stew in silence on it for 9 months but that was just honestly how I feel – that he would not have reacted like that. He is very proud.
      Now how long is it until season 5 ………………………

• eviehellosweetheart

September 13, 2011 at 7:28 am

Sookieleana – you aren’t alone **cyber hug** there are more than a few Eric lovers who are very unhappy with that scene. I recommend the fast-forward button, it works for me every time 🙂

11. IviazingTB

September 13, 2011 at 2:48 am

I agree in some ways with the episodes with the bill and Eric, but the show is not only about them.. Is it only me that actualy thinks Sams character is great? N does he get hurt in season 5? And what about the silver chains in concrete that Alcide found.. Sound familiar.. I think russell is coming back.?!. I also believe that the bruwhoe magic from Jesus will still be living in Lafayette.. I mean that’s just kind of obvious.. N I also think that Jesse will save Jason from the preacher. I loveeee this show! The great concept and writting along with the unique cast is all epic in my book. I guess I will see in 9 months.. Blah lol

12. LeAnne

September 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

anyone know what happened to Portia? lol…. she just kinda disapeared. Did people not connect with her character? I thought she would have a bigger story line