Raelle Tucker Teases True Blood Season 5 (SPOILERS)

True Blood writer Raelle Tucker (she wrote “And When I Die”) gave EW.com some scoop on season 5, including which characters are returning and some hints on new characters. Here’s the gist:

Returning

• Patrick: “His arc has to do with Terry’s past coming back to haunt Bon Temps and Arlene and their life they’re trying to set up together.”
  • Russell:  “Russell is not dead,” says Tucker. “It’s safe to assume the king of Mississippi is not gone for good.”
  • Steve:  “I will say that Steve’s reason for returning to Jason is not at all what you expect.”
  • Fairies: “Season 5 will explore more fairies, new fairies, fairies in a way you haven’t really seen fairies. We will all, as well as Sookie, come to understand fairies more than in previous seasons.”
New
  • Female Vampire: “There will be a very significant, strong, mysterious woman at the center of one of our main stories next year. That will be a very familiar and compelling character. It may be someone you’ve heard of before.”
  • Werewolf: The identity of the wolf seen growling at Sam (Sam Trammell) in the final moments will be revealed — and, according to Tucker, is “someone you have never met before.”
Raelle also teased that the consequences of Bill & Eric killing Nan will follow them into next season, and “While there will always be romance in Sookie’s life, Sookie at the moment is choosing herself over all of them.”  Is that a hint that Quinn is coming?

1. Erin N.

September 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

A new female vamp? No clue who’s story that relates to. So that wolf wasn’t marcus’ ghost as someone brilliantly guessed on the recap page, hmmm. Personally, I have zero interest in Terry’s upcoming storyline or Andy’s. Am I the only one wondering what the he’ll happened to Hotshot? Lol

• teri

September 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

i think it will be tara

• kelly

September 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

it has to be tara. i think eric or bill will have to turn her in order to save her. she did state she was coming back but wasnt sure in what form. so its definitely her!!

September 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Kelly, Mel addressed this yesterday when she said that a casting call went out for the new vampire.

• pve

September 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

It is NOT going to be Tara. In August there was a casting call for a “Female Vampire” that must be smoking hot, there will be some nudity involved.

It is stated that maybe someone we have heard of before. But who?

• amy

September 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Maybe the female vamp is Bill’s “sister”/ex lover.. the one Lorena made because she resembled his wife.
      Can’t say I’m looking forward to the Andy/fairy or Terry/Felicity guy subplots either. Love me some Arlene though.
      I hate what the writers did to Hotshot and Calvin. The Hotshot scenes on TB make me squirm, I have a feeling Crystal’s gonna show up at Jason’s front door pregnant in Season 5.
      Oh, and is anyone having a love-hate thing with Hoyte? He can say the nastiest things but pretty much hit the nail on the head on every single hate speech he gave. It’s like he pulls all of their insecurities and deepest fears (Jess & Jason) and throws it right in their face. Nothing worst than someone you trusted with your innermost feelings exposing them to hurt you. Can’t say I blame him in regards to Jason, but he was a complete jackass to Jess.

2. Sarah

September 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Quinn? Yes please. 😉

• Melanie

September 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Quinn was a weretiger…

• Sarah

September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Yes he is, and I have been waiting for them to introduce him to the show. I was very happy when they added Alcide in. I think it would be great to see Quinn too.

• Sylvia

September 13, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Since Quinn was introduced in the 5th book, he should be in the upcoming season. I suppose time will tell. I hope they have him in, I’m interested in who they would cast as him.

• Gracie

September 14, 2011 at 2:07 am

No Quinn this love triangle with bill and Eric now alcide is just plain ridiculous now adding Quinn will just be over the top!

• sophia

September 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

gracie obviously u haven’t read the books you have about 9 months……you should read em

• Sookieeleana

September 15, 2011 at 3:22 am

Reading the books won’t always help you. Tara taking a bullet for Sookie instead of Eric? Bill staking Longshadow instead of Eric? Things are so different that there is no guarantee they will use Quinn in the same way. For me in the books he was the bridge between the time Sookie and Eric spent together when he was spelled and Sookie and Eric working out their true feelings and Eric getting his memories back. Well in the show he already has his memories back and they have already said they love each other. It makes the dynamics very different. Also I think they are going to keep Bill as a viable suitor in the show, in the books he dropped out for a while and has only resurfaced recently.

• esw45

September 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I still beleive that Alcide will be used as “Quinn” and he and sookie will have a brief fling or love scene if you will….then sookie killing debbie will come out which will end that relationship.

By the end of the season, sookie will realize that she loves and wants a relationship with either Eric or Bill. I would like it to be Eric but its true blood and Bill never really goes away as a love interest for Sookie.

• Gracie

September 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

I have read the books I found Quinn a useless and unnecessary character they should leave him out of season 5

• Sookieeleana

September 14, 2011 at 7:13 am

I agree with Gracie – my husband and his friends actually think it is ludicrous that she already has 3 guys chasing her (and let’s face it none of them would have problems walking into a bar and picking up a date).
      Anyhow Sookie can’t choose Eric as she loves Bill and can’t choose Bill as she loves Eric so she surely can’t choose Quinn when she loves 2 other men – it would make her look quite ridiculous.

• Erin

September 15, 2011 at 5:33 am

When has ridiculous stopped them lately? The show has gotten so cheesy since season 1 and according to Alan ball bill is sookies true love so nobody else stands a chance anyway.

• Sookieeleana

September 16, 2011 at 4:55 am

Yeah, I pretty much often think like that and it’s depressing. But one day the writers have to realise that most fans seem to prefer Sookie with Eric. Recently in a poll about who she should choose he got over 60%, basically more than Bill and Alcide put together.
          It will be interesting to see how the different options do in the poll they are running on here. I think maybe Alcide will start to pick up over the coming months, if nothing else, for the fact that he’s the only one of them she now hasn’t had!

September 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

The poll is open for a couple more weeks, but already some very interesting results are showing up. I think some people will be surprised at the results on a couple questions.

• esw1966

September 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Yeah, I think you are right about Alcide will overtake Bill in the poll but overtaking Eric I am not sure sure…He just bores me to death, there is nothing exciting or interesting about him or any of the werewolves and he seems very judgemental about Sookie life in general.

I know he looks like a bodybuilder so alot of women like him for that reason but he is more of a friend type to sookie than a lover as far as I am concerned. But they will have him be a lover for her next season I am pretty sure.

• Gracie

September 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Alcide is a loser he will never ever overtake Eric especially bill in the polls remember when he saw Eric and sookie in the woods he tried to copy that sex with Debbie you know he was pretending she was sookie. Sookie is not going to stay with him for long,she’s going to realize she can do better what do u guys think?

• jacque

September 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

the on screen chemistry is so much stronger with bill & sookie
            but in the books eric & sookie smoke between the sheets

3. tlj22001

September 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

could the new female vamp be Tara?

September 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Doubtful – they sent out a casting call for that character a few weeks ago.

• esw1966

September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I still don’t believe that Quinn will be in season 5…..I know sookie killed debbie but alcide didn’t really care about debbie anyway….so I think he is going to be sookie’s romance.
        I think the vampire lady will be involved with bill next year romantically or politically.

• Sylvia

September 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

He better not be Sookie’s romance! However cutting Quinn out of it wouldn’t surprise me. They already killed off Sophie-Anne too early, which completely ruins the plots of the 6th and 7th books. I have no idea how they are going to change that up. I wish they would have stayed closer to the books. 🙁

• Kelly

September 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Ya next season will definitly be nothing like the books and I dont think their will be a Quinn.

• Cha

September 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I had that same theory I hope so. She can’t be done yet. The casting call could be a diversion to throw us off the path. Granted wasting money and time to have a fake casting call is a bit far fetched just to keep a storyline from leaking, but I was a theater major communications/film minor and I’d go to those lengths to keep my project G14 classified. Lol 🙂

• Karen

September 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I think the new female vampire will be Hadley.

4. RonnieQ

September 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Did they ever mention Sophie Ann’s maker? Perhaps that’s the new female vampire n she’ll be very mad that her child got kill by Bill. Or Lorena’s maker out for Sookie…since she’s always getting into trouble. 🙂 though I thought they said Lorena’s maker was a guy.

• Sarah

September 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oooh, I like the idea of Sophie Ann’s maker coming for revenge.

• teri

September 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

mabey it is hadely(sp)

• alcat

September 18, 2011 at 5:53 am

forgot all about hadley but what love to see tara turned and play the bubba part for sookie

• Sylvia

September 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Lorena’s maker, Solomon, wouldn’t be out for revenge for Lorena’s death because Lorena betrayed him and almost got him killed. I can’t see them bringing him in. And Sophie-Anne’s maker, Alain, is dead. He died right after turning her.
      But AB changed so much of the other vampire’s backgrounds they could easily do the same to these two.

• Linda

September 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm

what about the other vampire Lorena made (I forgot her name), the one Sookie contacted when Bill had silver poisining…

• Kelly

September 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I think the new vampire might be the Authority

5. Dee

September 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Like one of the posters mentioned, I’m not too interested in the Terry and Patrick story line. It seems like filler to me. I’m actually glad that Alan didn’t focus too much attention on the fairies this season, as I find them a bit boring. I wonder how Sarah will feel about her husband becoming a vampire? Quinn was one of my least favorite characters in the books, but hopefully that will change should they decide to cast him.

From an article that Alan Ball did not too long ago, there’s a chance that season five might be the last one, but it’s probably not likely.

September 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

No, there’s a chance that the series may continue without Alan at the helm, is what was said. He only signed a contract for season 5. 😉

• Gracie

September 26, 2011 at 7:39 am

Alan Ball better not leave if he let’s another writer take over they are going to ruin the great job he has done and probably and put sookie with Eric because it’s the easiest and because they think thatS what everyone wants new writers will change sookie from independant to dependent sookie!

• pve

September 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Dee, if i remember the alan ball interview correctly, he said season 5 might be HIS last. Not neccesarily True Blood the series.

6. Liz

September 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I had a feeling that next season was going to deal with the faeries! I’m glad, because I think they could do a lot with that story, and virtually anyone in Bon Temps could be involved in it.

7. Angie

September 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

The new female vampire is someone we’ve seen before. I thought Tara also. I know she’s coming back, but I hope she is not a ghost. I want her to be a vamp.
    Terry and Arlene stuff can be boring. Not really interested in them.
    The faeries stuff also can be draining. I’d rather see bad ass Russell causing havoc.
    Sookie please go back to Bill. Eric and Sookie…flame went out. They were hot when they were NOT together. The tension, sexy talk, and chemistry. But, Nice Eric and Sookie didn’t work for me.
    I still love the show, but I would it more with Tara back.

September 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Raelle said that character “may be someone you’ve heard of before”, not seen. And they wouldn’t be recasting an actor because the character was turned into a vampire; the character would still look the same.

• Sookieeleana

September 14, 2011 at 7:08 am

I have to say this is really intriguing me.
        I’m trying to think of someone “we’ve heard of” and am coming up blank. Nevermind I’ve got a while to work it out.

• Gracie

September 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I never liked Eric but he and sookie made me like him but I still think bill’s the one for her!

8. Brandi

September 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Could the “new” female vamp be Hadley? Sophie-ann turned her in the books and her true death caused a lot of drama in book 6. And I’m all for Quinn coming into the picture!

• Sarah G.

September 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Mmmmmm Quinn 🙂

• jacque

September 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

you so smart! hadley was a cool charactor with a strong attachment to sookie
      not only that, but her son hunter will need protection when his “gift” is revealed

9. syb

September 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

This is my thought but how about a female Bubba? They said someone familiar but a casting call means we haven’t seen as yet. It’s already been said that they would have to pay Graceland too much so maybe an alternative.

10. Leo

September 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Faeries? Nooooo!
    More Russel, please.

11. B. Williams

September 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

My only question is who the F turned rev steve newlin. Could it be stan from S2 who killed all steves family, or nan as an agenda tool to be used if need be, or russell who had a tendency to collect people and insert himself into the affairs of man when needed and with newlin it was definitely needed cuz he badmouthed him on tv the next ep. so many ideas and then itll be someone completely different like Franklin/Sophie Ann/Chow (what ever happened to chow. did I miss the story of why he left??) or some dumb crap lmao. i love this show so much 🙂

12. StaceyJ

September 14, 2011 at 1:57 am

Alan Ball said he didn’t like the Quinn storyline.
    But who knows.. I don’t think Tara is dead. I think Eric or Bill will save her..
    I hope tht it’s Alcide and what is it with Sookie.
    Something else, Pam. Will she try to hurt Sookie or leave ERic?
    OMG! Reverend Newlin with fangs..

13. Gaelicgirl

September 14, 2011 at 2:53 am

Am I the only one who thinks Pam will come and turn Tara to a vamp/”save” Sookie’s friend to try and get back into the good books with Eric? Plus the maker-child relationship would open nicely for the promised flashbacks we’re going to see of Eric and Pam’s beginnings.
    It would also give Rutina Wesley a bit more to do than run around screaming. Imagine Tara being turned into the very creature she hates.

14. Erin N.

September 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

I’m pretty sure Pam would need Eric’s (or maybe King Bill’s) permission to make her own vamp. Also, she would have no way of knowing Sookie was in trouble bc she doesn’t drink her blood. I enjoyed the Quinn storyline in the books – especially the wrap up in the most recent companion novel – but it’s true, he’s not needed in the TV show. Even as a book reader and kinda knowing the back story so to speak, Sookie fell too hard n too fast for Eric on TB. We know Alcide’s added to the mix next hear so one more is just overboard. I love the books but I think AB made some great changes. Making the fairies secretly ugly and killing Claudine was great – I can’t imagine where the storyline will go from here w them!
    I hope Tara isn’t gone. Yea she’s hopeless but she’s hilarious and rude and I love it! She can’t be a vamp bc we already have one fabulously bitchy one – Pam! So maybe a lil V and she’ll be saved.

15. auraeulogia

September 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’m interested in Pam -Eric storyline , Alcide -Sookie , and Russell; but please less Faeries,or AVL bull**.
    I don’t think a fourth contender to Sookie’s heart will add anything but more disgression and less time to more interesting storylines.
    Couldn’t care less about Terry, Andy’s storyline.
    Now Bill to me has no point to me but I know that’s important to many people , I think he will be doing what he do best .( political manouvers to earn more power over everybody.)
    And please give Sam a good season !!

• Heva

September 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

Why not the faeries? In the books the fairies were pretty intense and I think we are going to see a lot more of them in season 5.
      Sam! Sam is booring.
      Everybody keeps saying Hadley will be the vampire, but again….casting call? they wouldn’t need to cast Hadley since she’s already been in it. I can’t stand Russell, not looking forward to his part in this.
      I don’t think there will be a Quinn, his part seems too miniscule. I think this will be a sookie/alcide season.

16. auraeulogia

September 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

I forgot about Lafayette! Bring back funny over the top Laffy ,hope he won’t be depressed all season.

• Cha

September 15, 2011 at 12:38 am

I know you can say that again!! I miss him shaking his @$$ in front of the camera. Lol 🙂 I hope he goes back to himself, but honestly it’s not likely, Jesus was all we know to be his True first love it’s kinda hard to bounce right back after losing that. Maybe if they picked the storyline up a year or two later we’d have a better chance to see the old la-la. Vegas baby Vegas baby Vegas lol!! Then again since he found out he’s a medium now, he’s been getting his grown-man on. So who knows. Is it June 2012 yet?? Urgh.

17. Jules

September 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

The new female vampire “may be someone you have heard of before”, is probably a character from the book series. So if you’ve read the books, you would have heard of this vampire before( there, no spoilage). Also, I hope they show us how wickedly secretive the fairies can be, ( I’d love for them to be really scary). Don’t get me wrong I love TB, but “fairyland” felt a bit like I was watching an old episode of “Land of The Lost”. Hoping that will come across better in season 5.

September 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’m thinking that if the faeiries are going to take center stage next season, they’ll be doing a better job on that. By the way, Jules, the “no spoilage” thing was so funny! LOL!

• Jules

September 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Liz , It’s not always easy,but I’m trying to be good. LOL! 😉

• Merisha

September 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I have to agree with you about her being a character from one of the books, but there are just so many and none of them really play a major role, but I’m leaning towards one and it would be awesome if it is her ( not giving away anything) . Since AB changed up Marnie’s character so much from the book it is a possibility.

Really looking forward to next season!

• Heva

September 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’ve read all the books, and I just can’t think of whom it might be?

18. sophia

September 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

they need to bring bubba in i loved him in the books

September 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm

It’s been said by Alan Ball many, many, many times, that Bubba will not be on the show.

19. ARH

September 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I’m glad there won’t be a Bubba. I always thought that character was a little too cheesy/gimmicky. I would bet that one of the AVL “factions” dug up Russell and also turned Newlin. I actually enjoy the politics so I hope there’s more in season 5.

• Heva

September 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

No way, pam dug up Russell to get rid of sookie

20. RusselKing

September 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Alan Ball and Writers do not have to follow the books completely… Let’s get over it! So, from here on out.. I expect a few characters and storylines to follow the books, but many many many storylines will be new as it should be… No need to follow the books… Otherwise you end up with a soap opera… AB and his crew are doing great!!!

21. EnterTheGecko

September 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Hello everyone. My first time posting here. Been watching the show since S1. I just wanted to throw out this idea about Steve Newlin coming back. Maybe he is going to every home in Bon Temp, and glamouring people into being more anti-vampire. Him showing up at Jason’s house could have been incidental. That would be the reason I consider to expect the least.

September 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Hi Gecko, welcome to the site! Interesting theory, but what would Steve’s motivation be? Now that he’s a vampire, is he still anti-vampire?

• Aussie

September 15, 2011 at 12:38 am

Hi, I haven’t posted before either but maybe Gecko is onto something. I don’t want to spoil it for the people that haven’t read the books so I’ll be vague 🙂 Maybe Steve is going to be like the Were character that was found in Hadley’s apartment…….That might work if they don’t follow the Quinn story line.

• EnterTheGecko

September 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Now that you mention that. That could be where this storyline is headed. It doesn’t strike me that Steve would ever come to terms with who/what he is now? The only solace he could ever achieve would be to cause as much pain and discontent among those around him.

22. Jessica(Dragonfly)

September 15, 2011 at 12:32 am

Come with me here people on my journey of pure speculation. The new female Vampire could be…a long lost child of Russell Edgington! He released her years ago, but she found him and dug him up….and she’s a member of the Authority. That would be Epic! Thoughts?

23. mystic27

September 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

Well, my thought is perhaps they are moving forward past the next few book and jumping into the fairy showdown, and also incorporate the whole packmaster thing, but with alcide and the mysterious wolf seen at the end of the show with Sam?…thoughts?

• Erin N.

September 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I didn’t enjoy one bit of the fairy showdown in the books. Woohoo I cheered when Claudine got killed off this season. Seems like that wasn’t the end of this plot one though 🙁 boohoo lol
      I really liked the marnie character this season but in the books the witches were also weeds and on V so they just seemed more powerful or at least stronger and a better physical match up to the vamps. Oh well I love everything AB does. Oh wait cept Andy, Terry, and Hot Shot BS. Lol

24. Erin N.

September 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Weeds lol AUTO CORRECT FAIL! I meant weres

September 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hee hee! 🙂

25. StaceyJ

September 17, 2011 at 2:21 am

I was thinking.. That the wolf in S4 finale that was growling at Sam was the new guy.
    What if Patrick Devins is a werewolf..
    I don’t think they will bring Quinn. I really don’t.. I couldn’t stand him in the books.

26. checkered

September 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I haven’t read the books but on wikipedia there is a female vamp that we haven’t seen, Thalia

27. smokeybear2269

September 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I’d really,really like to see Quinn in the show but I honestly don’t see where they could throw him in the story line…But Im wondering…Why hasnt anyone mentioned Amelia? Like Amelia,Bob and Quinn were my 3 fav characters from the books that I wanted to see on the show..Havent heard anyone talking about Amelia!! Oh and Claude, what a dissapointment if that was you bro in the first episode in S4 talking about ‘my sister’ in referennce to Claudine…I had high,high expectations from Claude,and if thats him, what a let down.. Really..And Tara,could care less if she were dead but obviously shes staying..I hope to god shes not a vampire..Lesbian life does not suit her…Although now Im seeing people talk about Pam making her? Wtf if they have a lesbian relationship?? Wow..

28. Laura

September 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm

In the books there was an ancient greek prophetess who had been turned into a vampire and who was essentially the judge at trials involving vampires. The ancient pythoness will probably turn up at some point.

Maybe Bill and Eric will be on trial for killing Nan–or for putting Russell in cement.

Since Sophie isn’t around any more to be on trial at the Rhodes convention, maybe it’s them.

I’d love to see the Rhodes story line–that’s where Sookie does good things to save Eric and Pam, and where Eric has to establish the blood bond.

29. John Cifarelli

September 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I was just wondering what the hell is up with Andy and this Fairy?

30. John Cifarelli

September 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Plus since Russell is coming back, what role is he going to play when he returns?

• Cha

September 23, 2011 at 1:27 am

A super mad @$$ bad @$$ million year old vampire with a grudge. When they did a 1/2@$$ job at getting rid of him he was on his mission to take over essentially the world. I think he’ll seek a bit… Oh who am I kidding a Sugar Honey Ice Tea load if revenge then back to taking over the world. Muuuaaaah ha haaaaa!

31. allie

September 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I have a feeling that Lafayette will be the one to bring Tara back somehow. For one, he’s sleeping right upstairs from where Tara was shot. Also, when Lafayette saw Jesus’s spirit (or whatever that was), Jesus said to him that things weren’t permanent, or temporary. Maybe he’ll use Jesus’s magic that he got thanks to Marnie

• Heva

September 23, 2011 at 11:08 am

I was thinking that too! That it will be lafayette

32. Dustin levi

September 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm

i got a feeling that there gonna get more into the “authority” . i actually even thought they would get more into it in season 4.. and they was nan was talking about them and these “factions” before she was killed… i hope they do!