Friday Five: Season 4 Fan Speculations That Came True

This week’s Friday Five is for the fans. There had been a lot of speculation here on our website as well as in our forum as to what will actually go down by season’s ending. Here are the top five that came true.
  1. Adele’s Return – When the spoiler came out that “spirits of the dead surface in Bon Temps, giving Sookie some valuable allies to combat Marnie’s newest incarnation”, almost everyone’s thoughts turned to Gran. True.
  2. Russell Edgington’s Resurrection – It was no stretch of the imagination for people to surmise that Russell would be back when we heard that “the denizens of Bon Temps brace for a new crisis with a familiar face”. Though we didn’t actually see him, there was that big old hole in the garage floor. True.
  3. Appearance by Rene – This is one I didn’t think would happen, but Truebies knew better. True.
  4. Steve Newlin is Back with a New Look – The fans certainly called this one when they saw the bit about the familiar face. There were two camps: those who thought that face belonged to Newlin and the ones who thought it belonged to Russell. Both were right. True.
  5. The End of Jesus – This was a speculation that fans were making very grudgingly. No one wanted it to happen but many expected it. True.
Talk amongst yourselves!

1. Jon

September 30, 2011 at 5:24 pm

There was a poster over on the IMDB boards that said before the season started that she expected Tara to be involved, shot, and killed in the climactic showdown before Sookie and Debbie, since we all knew that would be there. I’m still not sure on the dead part, but wow was I shocked when she was actually there and she was actually shot.

2. Sookieeleana

October 1, 2011 at 5:40 am

Yep, we pretty much got all those from spoilers except maybe Rene. Someone seeing the cast list for the finale and Gran being on it kind of gave that one away. Trubies are just far too clever and impatient not too do some detective work. And I think we all guessed Debbie was a goner.
    The biggest shock in the finale remains the pajama scene from hell – that one is going to take me a real long time to get over.

• esw1966

October 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Hey sook, like you I hated that pajama scene….I love the show but it still amazes me that they build up

• Ash

October 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’m with you on the pajama scene.

3. Nothinbutjoy

October 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Great Friday Five!

Out of all of this, what amazes me the most is even though we thought/knew it was coming, it was all done in a way that was so surprising and so fun to watch!

It’s one of the consistent things that makes True Blood such a fantastic show.

4. Simone

October 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Well, i’ve begun reading some of the books and although i like the books as well as the series, i like Eric for Sookie more than Bill because for the year she’s been gone his character has been free and kinda enjoying it.

Eric’s character is more of a leader and he don’t play when it comes to business, i would much rather see him protect and love Sookie than Bill.

• Mary

October 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Girl, this will never happen. I’m an eric fan to, but it’s obvious AB has his favorites.

• Ash

October 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

AB may have his favorites, and I agree that Bill is one of them. But I don’t see why that automatically means Sookie and Eric won’t happen.I have faith that it will.

They said they aren’t doing the one book per season format anymore, and I think they will move forward and take things from books further down the line. They already have. I think they will do elements of book 5 but also of book 7 and 8 this season.

I really think that Sookie and Eric will be together again at some point, with no amnesia this time.

I’m thinking they won’t have Quinn at all actually.

• esw1966

October 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Ash I think eric and will get together at some point too….maybe at the end of season 5…..no there will not be Quinn….alcide is going to be used as quinn basically

5. esw1966

October 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

You might be right mary….but AB might be forced into the realization that eric fits with her much because he is the most popular character on TB….but I know that AB does love bill so you never know….but you can hope!

6. Sheila

October 2, 2011 at 2:32 am

I started with the book series long ago. Love them as well as the HBO series. I like many others like the book character Eric for Sookie better than Bill. I was a little let down when I saw the lack of on screen chemistry between Anna and Alexander. I still think the show is great and would like to see I play out two or three more seasons.

• Ash

October 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I don’t know, I think they have a lot of chemistry. I think they have way MORE, however, when Eric is without the amnesia. I prefer him as the Sheriff over Amnesia Eric.

7. Bethany

October 2, 2011 at 5:22 am

I too was disappointed at how they built up the Eric/Sookie storyline. I mean as a book/series fan I understand that Sookie/Eric won’t be forever, nor will Sookie/Bill even if they stay important to one another. But this was the one season that they could really have given the fans what they were asking for, and they didn’t even get the “shower scene” right. (Grrrrr) That being said, I still LOVE the show, and am intrigued how on earth they will find one speck of Dead As A Doornail to follow. Not to mention (Oh I hope that AB or someone important reads this) I would really LOVE to see One Word Answer and Dracula Night worked in there as well. It would be so cool to have the show (like within the first few episodes) have a Dracula Night celebration. (And as they often take lines right from the books, I really want to see Pam compare Eric to Linus and the Great Pumpkin) LOL

• Ash

October 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I think they won’t follow the fifth book closely at all, except with respect to the shifters. For one, there really isn’t much plot with regard to the vampires. They are pretty much going to have to make that whole thing up. I highly doubt they are going to bring up LS’s death again four season down the line. I think that was mostly done to create Jessica.

They also aren’t sticking to the one book per season format anymore. I think they will have a Rhodes like plot, and elements from both book 7 and 8. I think that’s why they’re bringing Russell back, along with the new female vampire character.

8. esw1966

October 2, 2011 at 6:49 am

Hopefully eric and sookie will still get a chance at a having a relationship on TB and sookie and bill will become more of a friend type relationship like the books…..alcide is more like a friend to me than a love interest for sookie.

9. Jules

October 2, 2011 at 6:12 pm

The show is definitely working my nerves as well, when it comes to E/S. Of course, this is most likely what they wanted us E/S shippers to feel. Yet, I am still having trouble w/ the transition of Sookie giving herself freely to Eric, and then in a blink Bill is back and suddenly he is just as important to her. I know the blood bond is steering her, but wouldn’t Eric’s blood be stronger? Oh well, at least we know Sookie hasnt become a complete robot. She needs to swear off the blood.:)

• esw1966

October 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Jules that is just bad writing by the writers….a blood bond should be stronger btw her and eric than bill giving her his blood to save her. They just want her to be single and couldn’t come up with a more clever way to do it.

October 3, 2011 at 10:31 am

Well, with all your knowledge, wisdom and experience in television writing, why not try for a spot on the True Blood writing staff! Then you could put things exactly the way you want them to be. 😉

• esw45

October 3, 2011 at 11:06 am

Well, Liz maybe that is not such a bad idea! Lol but really I like AB and I love the show so I will still watch and enjoy the show and I will also complain if I think the writing is not making any kind of sense with the continuity of the show. It is one of the best shows on TV!

• Mischa Denmark

October 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Bad writing? IMO, True Blood has some of the best writing on TV. It’s so multi faceted and has so many possible interpretations, that’s what makes it interesting. The more general knowledge one has, the more one can see in the various storylines. I love all the small references and hints and double entendres and what’s so great is, that even if you don’t get them, there is still plenty to enjoy “on the surface” so to speak. I hope I’m not parrot phrasing! ; )