Friday Five: Mythological Creatures Suggested for Season 5, 6, Etc.

The idea for this week’s Friday Five comes from Dee, one our forum members. (I’m telling you guys, you should join us over there! We’re having a great time!) Dee wants to speculate on what kind of mythological creatures yet to be explored in Alan Ball‘s Bon Temps. We’ve seen a demon, faeries, vampires, a maenad, werewolves, shapeshifters and ghosts. Here’s five I wouldn’t mind seeing.

1. Elf – Any kind will do. There are quite a few different ones.
  2. Troll – Usually hideously ugly and mean.
  3. Nymph – There are also a few different kinds of these, so again any one will do.
  4. Reaper – Don’t you think it’s about time?
  5. Goblin – OK, I know this is not Middle Earth, but it can happen, right?
There are a wide variety of mythical creatures that have been written into stories, songs and poetry. What are some of your favorites and which ones would you like to see in coming seasons of True Blood?

1. Naty

October 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Who was the demon on the show?

October 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Jesus had a demon in him.

2. Cha

October 7, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oooh me likey this five let me see now, a sorcerer, a voodoo priestess and a unicorn I know I know guys it’s super corny but I love ’em I had an imaginary one(unicorn) for a friend from ages 3-7. Not sure what role they’d play maybe the unicorn could help Sookie find her way from time to time since her FGM was sucked to dust by Eric idk I know I’m reaching but I love ’em. Lol ok I’m done. Let the mockery begin.

• Cha

October 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Now that I think about it a sorcerer could be considered to be a witch depending on who you’re talking to and which day of the week it is. So I like mermaids too.

• Naty

October 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ok when you say demon i had the demons from the books in mind. I loved Mr. Catalides I thought I had missed him on the show somehow!

3. fsanchez

October 8, 2011 at 12:30 am

What about introducing REAL werewolves into the show and not bunch of poser Wolf-shifters.

October 8, 2011 at 10:33 am

Maybe because there’s no such thing as REAL werwolves.

• Cha

October 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

Lmao!! Weren’t warewolves always human by day and beast @night? So technically they are “shifters” thus portrayed correctly on TB. Idk I’m just saying…

• fsanchez

October 9, 2011 at 10:51 pm

True Blood has the most lamest, horrible, portrayal of werewolves; their normal human beings that turn into normal wolves. They are shifters, but with ability to turn into one animal instead of many. Real werewolves are suppose to be monsters with supernatural abilities; not normal human beings that turn into normal wolves.

October 10, 2011 at 9:17 am

Um, the werewolves on True Blood are humans who shift into wolves. Have you watch the show this season?

• Fsanchez

October 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

TB Weres are pathetic and boring as hell on the show.

October 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

OK Mr. Troll, this is the only thing you ever post on this site and we are now bored as hell with you. Good bye!

4. HarpyieSelena

October 8, 2011 at 6:23 am

Since we already have faeries : why not sprites? A ghoul? Wendigo? As long as there are no Zombies, Unicorns or Meermaids I’m all in.

5. Mark

October 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

seriously?

call me crazy but maybe the fact that Charlaine Harris regrets introducing the Fae into the novels might be a hint that we should just stick with the few Faires we have. Cataliades would be an interesting way if they used him more in True Blood as the supernatural lawyer, and a bigger role as Sookie’s sponsor. And this season we get the Weretiger!

October 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Where did she say she regretted introducing the fae in her books, Mark?

6. Nothinbutjoy

October 9, 2011 at 11:58 am

There are so many to choose from, but I think those that would be difficult to translate onto the small screen will not make it. My choices are:

Elves

Sirens

Banshees (Excellent choice Liz. Did they not make your final 5 because they are Fairies?)

Supernatural creatures from mythologies not yet represented (as far as I know because I am in no way any sort of expert in mythology) such as Chinese or Babylonian.

So, I don’t have 5, but the possibilities are endless, especially with writers as imaginative as those at True Blood.

October 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, I was trying to be as diverse as possible. Even at that, I think Nymphs are a type of faerie too.

7. Mark

October 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm

WERETIGER, make it happen. Keep the Fae limited to what we see in the books. we don’t need anything else.

8. Bethany

October 10, 2011 at 5:54 am

I personally think that the perfect venue for the different supes would be if they could (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) cover Dracula Night during season 5. I mean in the story there were some unexplained supes mentioned (one sounded an aweful lot like some versions of a nymph. And in TB fashion they could incorporate the elves, and other forms of Fae mentioned in other short stories at the party so that Fangtasia is wall to wall Supes. LOL

In response to the “real werewolf” question, CH explained that in the books. She said that the Weres we have come to know are acutally “bitten weres” where they turn into 1/2 man 1/2 wolf hybrids. But it is my understanding that AB thought that was making a mockery of a very cool species. Sadly, the CH versions were mostly upper-middle class citizens, who got all dressed to the nines for all wolf ceremonies. The TB versions all seem to be thugs of one sort or another. They heal faster than normal people, and have heightened senses, so I would say that would cover “cool super powers” but maybe I am wrong. I guess everyone is able to smell out a dead body, know weather it is fresh or old, and all from several feet under the ground. Huh, I know I can’t do that.

9. Nichole

October 10, 2011 at 11:21 am

I think we need to see the demon creatures that covered in Charlaine’s books. I know there are only a few but that woudl be cool and what about the big sumit? There were a ton of creatures there. I would also like to see more of what is going on behind the scenes of the “Authority” now that Nan is gone. So many possibilities.

10. Natasha

October 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

Why hasn’t any suggested semi-demons? I know thats later in the books, but by the way Alan Ball is introducing stories into the television series, I’m guessing the either Lafayette can’t cope with the fact that Tara is dead and tries to bring her back but he accidently possess her body with a demon instead. I think that will be a really scary and challenging creature that will be in the next season of True Blood! Semi-demons…..

11. Jesse

October 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm

What about Jinn? like in the Clash of the Titans remake. In Islamic Mythology they’re pretty powerful, like the Genie in Aladin but scarier.

• Cha

October 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Jinn are basically demons made of fire they do Shaitaan’s (devil) bidding.

• Cha

October 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Oh yeah also not all Jinn are evil… I guess that would be like Jesus.

12. Goldy Jean

October 11, 2011 at 9:41 am

I think it would be really cool to explore 1) shape changing vampire ( i just rewatched episode 2 where Bill said some vampires could change shape; and 2) some regional differences in vampire abilility. Scandinavian vampires traditionally had powers as sorcerers. It would be great if Eric had been hiding unique abililities instead of just additional political allies.