SPOILERS: True Blood Season 5 Adds 2 New Characters

EW has the scoop on two new roles for True Blood season 5, including a sibling for one character and clarification on that character we heard about a while back. Are you ready?

Updated with additional details.

First, Eric’s getting a sister! Sort of. Nora was a gorgeous young woman when Godric turned her into a vampire, meaning she and Eric share a Maker. As if that weren’t enough, Nora is also a double-agent within the Vampire Authority. She is described as intelligent and cool under pressure. She loves Eric deeply, but has dedicated herself to a higher purpose (taking down the Authority?). Can we assume she’s Eric’s “friends in high places” mentioned last season?

Second, remember the “mysterious vampire” they sent out a casting call for back in August? Then Raelle Tucker teased that we “may have heard of her”? The vampire in question is none other than Salome, the daughter of King Herod who called for John the Baptist’s head on a silver platter in the New Testament. In the True Blood universe, she’s an ancient vampire who’s also a skilled seductress (of course) and possibly crazy (naturally). She’s incredibly powerful, but able to hide that when it suits her. The character has dark hair and dark features and is “exotic looking”.

Both of these characters sound fantastic! What do you think? Who would you cast? Sound off below!

NOTE: This is not a thread for discussing Bill/Sookie vs. Eric/Sookie. There are plenty of other places to debate the merits of both (have you been to our forum?). Please stay on topic.

1. Liz

October 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Ooh, very interesting! Sounds like the vampires are beefing up a bit. Some fallout from what we saw last season perhaps?

2. Mittie

October 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm

For Salome: Thandie Newton. Meagan Good. Megan Fox (though, if she is as much of a pain as she’s rumored to be, I don’t know if they’d want her). Zoe Saldana. Aishwarya Rai. Eden Riegel. Moon Bloodgood. Devon Aoki

• Cha

October 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Love love love Thandie!!! Also for Nora the beautiful and talented Cholë Sevigny. Other actresses that I think would make great vampires are Scarlet Johansen Maggie Gyllenhaal Angela Bassett Michelle Pfeipher Rashida Jones and Nia Long

• Cha

October 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

How could I forget Kirsten Dunst my beloved little Claudia? Katie Holmes Vanessa Williams and Nicollette Sheridan. I think an older actress with seasoned chops should do Salome.

3. Kelsey

October 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm

uhhhh!!! Eric is supposed to be with Sookie! That’s the whole point of the series…hello!!

October 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Okaaaaay…so what about the above casting upsets you? That his “sister” loves him?

• esw45

October 17, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Kelsey…Eric is in love and only wants Sookie right now….he has too many problems with the authority and Pam too be worried about messing with his sister.

• Sookieeleana

October 18, 2011 at 3:43 am

I have a feeling at least one of these will be involved with Eric. It could be to make Sookie jealous and realise she wants to be with him (we can but hope). Sookie and Eric’s relationship is no longer following the course of the books – any hope of that was taken away by the writers in the final 3 episodes of season 4. I have mixed feelings about Eric getting a new love interest, I think if he does it will mainly be about hot sex as he will still be in love with Sookie, I obviously want Sookie and Eric to be together but she was so cruel to him at the end of this seaon that I don’t want THIS Sookie to be with Eric, they have some sorting out of her character to do first, so maybe he could do with a distraction.
      As far as these 2 characters go on their own merit – I am looking forward to seeing them – I love strong female vampires so hopefully they’ll be a great addition to the show. and Thandie Newton – great call. Natalie Portman would be my dream choice but I know she wouldn’t do TV. If they can’t get the right girls they can always call me I’m sure I could be available. 🙂

• blue

October 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm

in the book eric and sookie are married

October 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Off topic!

4. trixie

October 18, 2011 at 3:55 am

mmmmh… I don’t know. These characters sound like something right out of fanfiction…
    I guess we’ll see how they’re used. TB has a great record of creating awesome characters and then not doing much with them…

5. PAW

October 18, 2011 at 5:05 am

Ooooooh! That sounds fun. Can;t wait!

6. Bethany

October 18, 2011 at 5:26 am

** Spoiler Alert from the books** Don’t read this if you don’t want to know of the story there.

Ummmm, in the books Salome was the maker of Tara’s creapy bf (Mind blip, started with an M, and he liked to drink “Red Stuff” and hated Sookie) She is also the Sheriff of his area. Eric can’t remember anything about his 2 weeks (give or take) with Sookie, and he bargains that Sookie tell him what happened (Excelent scene in the book btw) in exchange for calling creepy-vamp off and saving Tara in the process. This is when Sookie is staying in Sam’s apartment because of the fire. (So trying not to give it all away)

So now we flip to TB… Eric didn’t kill Longshadow, and Bill made Jessica so that whole debt is settled. This meaning that Charles Twinning won’t be dropping into town to burn down Sookie’s house. So I am assuming that they are removing that aspect of the whole mess. Tara is done with Vamps, so she can’t be “Passed along” like she was in the books. So Eric has no reason to call Salome to save her. not to mention Eric knows everything that happened, so he doesn’t need Sookie to tell him about it. BUT Eric did kill Talbot, who was RE’s eternal love, so they could reroute it that way, and say Salome was HIS maker, and comes into play through that twist…. She could also play a role in the whole Athority storyline, because we all know TB likes to multitask their characters a bit.

On the “Eric gets a sister” front, is this a leap ahead to Dead in the Family???? They already re-assigned Eric’s maker so no Occela & a certain young Russian Tzarovitch, but they could make this new character be a mixture of both??? I have not decided if I like that yet or not. Hmmmm

Thanks for the update btw. I LOVE these tidbits that help me get by during my TB withdrawl. (Ok so I watch every episode like almost every single day, but who’s counting.)

7. SimzBrazil

October 18, 2011 at 5:57 am

Angela Bassett!!! I can totally see her being an all powerful, seductress like Salome. Somebody call her up!!!

8. Hekkatte

October 18, 2011 at 6:11 am

Everything is better than Eric and Sookie together. She should be with Bill, I do not like Eric when he is involved with her. He lost the edge.

• Laura

October 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

Bill came with a hidden agenda, and all his deeds got forgotten no, I don´t want to see bill and sookie together ever again…
      And so far we only have seen Amnesia eric with sookie, not normal eric with sookie, hopefully Alan ball stays at least a little bit close to the books and let it happen, I am not happy with some of the cchanges and that bill was made king, that was just a weird idea…

October 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

This is not a thread for debating Eric vs. Bill. Please stay on topic.

• CassyM

October 18, 2011 at 6:33 am

Eric and Sookie belong together, nothing the TB writers try to do will ever change that.
      End of.

October 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

This is not a thread for discussing Sookie’s love life. Please stay on topic.

• trixie

October 18, 2011 at 7:11 am

Well, she doesn’t have to be with Bill just because she’s not with Eric. How about being on her own for a while?

Also, Eric and Sookie’s stuff in season 4 didn’t really work because it was horribly written and the forced love triangle ruined any natural development of their relationship and of Sookie’s character.
      They had so much potential but it’s been buried under a pile of half- hassed writing, contrivancies and OOCness.

Sadly, Sookie’s character is the least consistent in the show and she’s not allowed any organic growth, so it’s hard at this point to succesfully pair her with anyone.

October 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

This is not a thread for discussing Bill vs. Eric. Please stay on topic.

9. CassyM

October 18, 2011 at 6:38 am

Salome was Mickey’s maker in the books and Eric spoke to her on the phone I believe? She will be real interesting to see in the flesh. I’m looking forward to seeing her.
    Nora doesn’t sound like she will be like book Eric’s brother at all, or like Bill’s sister (as I know sometimes the writers seem to get Bill and Eric muddled up). I think you are right she will be Eric’s link to higher places and he may call on her to help him out. It will be interesting to see what other type of person Godric turned, he obviously waited a long, long time to find the perfect child in Eric, let’s hope his good taste has continued.

• esw45

October 18, 2011 at 9:14 am

I think either Nora or Salome will be one of Bill’s love interest…..I don’t think Eric would be getting a love interest because he still too much in love with sookie. Bill I think has moved on from being with Sookie more than Eric. That doesn’t mean that Eric would not have sex with someone….he would do that to try to get over Sookie but we all know that won’t happen…..Eric will never be over her it took him 1000 years to fall in love.

10. Cha

October 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

I’m probably gonna get such neg feedback but this has been on my brain forever so here goes…. Why is EVERY single topic that mentions Eric a new a platform for woe is me E/S are meant to be together forever & anything else is uncivilized?! I’m paraphrasing but you all get the point.  I’m mean Really We know how you feel because it’s all you talk about. None of us know what the future seasons will bring but it’s gonna be a very long 8.5 months if that’s all we keep reading about.

BTW Alex was seen on Ventura blv walking his dog here’s the pic.
    ***Response from a E/S forever fan****
    Yeah and that further proves him and Sookie belong together more than B/S!!! Lol see how ridiculous it is?
    I’m just sayin’

• Cha

October 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

I thought we were suppose to be talking which actresses would be good for our two new vampires?

• esw45

October 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

Your right Cha but True blood fandom are passionate or obsessed whatever you want to call it over this subject.

For Nora I would to see Katherine heigle from Grey’s anatomy….Salome thandie newton would do a good job.

• Sookieeleana

October 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

Cha – Eric fans get narky because in general we feel that he is often badly done to on the show and by bringing the matter up constantly we hope eventually someone from TB will actually listen to our concerns. We are basically fighting for our man, hopefully in an appropriate way.

Mel – apologies – I just wanted to answer Cha.

Back on topic – I had forgotten about Salome being Mickey’s maker. Was she mentioned at the Rhodes Summit, I don’t recall. She could have known TB Godric as he was around at the time of Jesus (but he missed him LOL). Or Russell could have turned her – he would be old enough. It could be Salome who answered Russell’s call and dug him out of the cement.

• esw45

October 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Sooki….i love all our passion and concern about this…and believe me Alan Ball and HBO enjoys it as well.

11. Jules

October 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Good point, Sookieeleana! Russell has been around 3000 yrs, he must have some children out there. Salome sounds like a perfect choice since we know Russell has an affinity for collecting beautiful pieces, ( people too, perhaps?). Although he prefers to surround himself w/ men this would be interesting!

• Nikki

October 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm

The 2 new characters sound awesome…..but I really want to know if Quinn will be cast this season! Come on already!!

• esw45

October 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I believe alcide is being,used as quinn….so I would be surprised if we ever see Quinn.

• Sookieeleana

October 20, 2011 at 3:18 am

Salome must have some connection with someone to be brought into the story and Russell would be the obvious one. Besides who would not love watching Russell and his mad temptress daughter going up against the authority. I think that Russell and Salome will end up siding with Bill and Eric and fighting the powers that be. I will no doubt be proved completely wrong about it though. I usually am with TB.

12. Sissy Bee

October 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Hope the new gorgeous vampire is for Bill – he deserves a mature, up to speed gorgeous woman.

• Sookieeleana

October 20, 2011 at 3:23 am

How about Nora – she sounds a strong, intelligent woman. And Bill with Eric’s sister would be a very intersting dynamic.

• esw45

October 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

Yes Nora hooking up with Bill would be an interesting dynamic…..being Eric’s sister and probably not being a fan of Sookie as well.

October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That would be hilarious! Think of the dialog between Bill and Eric that could come from that. I would love that scenario.

13. sofia

October 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Diane Kruger for Nora

Monica Bellucci for Salome

14. Cat

October 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I am new here, but I kinda think Uma Thurman would be perfect to play Nora. If she was made for Eric, shouldn’t she have some shared background that could have drawn their maker to pick her? Like having roots from the same part of the world? Just a thought. 🙂

15. Luciana

October 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Regardless, all I wanted to know when season 5 starts????

October 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

June 2012

16. murf

October 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm

howdy,
    huge fan of the books and the show and I think they should put sara michelle gellar as nora. I mean she played a slayer for 10 yrs wouldnt it be a wet dream to see her as a fanger. now for the other one salome she must be a damn devil but with an angels face so I would have to go with alysa duchoe, alyissa malaone, charisma carpenter, nicki cox, jennie mckarthey. I dont get these new actresses they are all 2 damn skinny I want to move to LA and start a charity for feeding these starving actesses.
    ps.
    I hope Terra is ok watching her head get blown messed me up, but maybe pam or eric could save her or turn her. I hope sam is ok he looked like he was introuble when a werewolf was setting on his front pourch. Also Denis ohare is a great great vilan and him and that reverend guy steve newland should totally hook up to get over talbot. Lala should become a big bad voodoo daddy and how about some new supes like demons, elves, and tigers oh my. Anywho thank god for walking dead and american horror, cant wait for new game of thrones but none of these shows hold a candle to my passion for trueblood. thankyou allan ball and charellene harris. yall make stuff that gets me!

17. TL

October 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm

These new vampires sound great! Maybe Nora was the one that turned Steve Newlin.