Charlaine Harris Talks About Sookie Book 12, True Blood, Cemetary Girl

FearNet.com has a new, exclusive interview with author Charlaine Harris in which she talks about wrapping up the Sookie Stackhouse series, what her writing process is like, her daily schedule, updates on a few projects, and some thoughts on creative control. This is billed as the first of three parts to the interview, so more is coming. Here’s an excerpt where Charlaine gives us some hints about what’s coming up in Sookie Book 12, [easyazon-link asin=”1937007448″]Deadlocked[/easyazon-link]:

How far into the thirteenth Stackhouse novel are you?

Zero! [Laughs.] That’s my next project. When I get home I have to go over the copy-edited pages of Sookie 12, which will be out in May. That will freshen up my memory about what I need to do in Sookie 13, to tie everything together. A seemingly impossible task.

I’m sure you’ve been asked this before, but could you talk about what the twelfth novel will involve?

It’s calledΒ Deadlocked. It’s another extension of her adventures, moving a step forward to resolve many of the issues that are brought up in previous books. She gets kidnapped – you know, the usual mayhem. She gets kidnapped, she has to get out of it. The Fey entry into her life is pretty much wrapped up. She learns a lot more about everything really. She learns a lot in this book, the truth. So it was a challenging book to write, and I tried to keep it on track more as a mystery. But there are just so many loose ends to tie up, it’s just incredible. [Laughs.]

(read the full interview here…)

1. esw45

November 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I don’t know but I feel that CH is going to upset a big portion of her book fans…..cause I think she is moving sookie away from Eric and I am not for sure about but its just a feeling….after all the time and love she has made these two have throughout the relationship…..upsetting is a word that some fans will feel….angry is more fitting.

November 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

We actually discuss that in this week’s podcast. Anyone who has read all of Charlaine’s other works will see the pattern and not be too surprised at where Sookie ends up and who she is ultimately paired off with.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I actually read all her other series and i see absolutely not pattern here, quite the contrary dear, that all the points are for Eric and the fact that she admitted (CH) that she will never let her fans get attached to a character she knows it’s not meant to be the end game, is quite telling of her direction…this and the fact that Sam had ZERO plot with Sookie in 11 books, and we have two books left and CH explicity said that S/E will diccuss their issues till book 13. I don’t know where Sam in this LOL

November 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I guess we will have to wait and see, right dear? People will see only what they wish to see.

• Cindy lu

November 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Well dear, I guess you have never read the Aurora Teargarden series by CH because Ms Harris let the fans get pretty attached to one character……and that didn’t end so well. CH has proven she has no fear of the fans reaction. She is going to write what she wants. She made that pretty clear. I would start hitting that panic button now if you have your heart set on a particular character.

• trixie

November 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Read the rest of the thread and you’ll find a couple comments that put that into perspective.
            The Aurora case is an exception rather than the pattern for CH.
            The reason why Martin… (SPOILER)

• CassyM

November 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Don’t panic – Charlaine has to make it difficult for Sookie and Eric or there is no story. She doesn’t spring any surprises in the love department in her other books and it has always been Eric. Book Bill we know is a no goer as he was originally dead by now, Quinn had his story ended in STW, Alcide completely lost it in DR, Sam is a friend (and possibly future business partner). Eric is the man she loves (all by herself) she admitted it in DR. I am very confident about it.
      Interesting Charlaine says the fairies are wrapped up in this book – those pesky fairies worry me so hopefully we can forget about them for the final book.

• trixie

November 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

She WANTS people to feel this way and fear for the worst. She’s a mistery writer after all: misdirection and surprises are her bread and butter. But I honestly don’t think she’s gonna definitively break S and E up.
      I also think there’s big surprises in store with Sam. IMO he’s a darker character than most readers feel, and we still know suspiciously little about him. I can’t wait to finally see what he’s all about.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I completely agree, i think people who never saw the darker side of Sam will be very surprised.
        Im not worried about S/E, someone like CH who always mentioned Cat & Bones while talking about them knows what she is doing.
        She’s driving us crazy and it’s a good plan to keep the reader interested in the story.

In her other series her heroines always ended up with someone they were in desperate love (like Lily and Jake who erre there in book 11 to parallel E/S in case somoene forgot them) not some last choice like “oh i never knew i had what i wanted in front of my eyes” and the hero was alwasy someone she had a relationship with in the past, not someone knew.

I think those two more books will make us suffer but also make us very happy in sme way.

2. lulu

November 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

i cant imagine the last sookie book, even now it makes me a bit sad. my books have been re read so many times, the shows have been really good, how ever sookie ends up i want her to be happy she does deserve that, and possibly with the door left open for her, just incase CH gets a bright idea in the far off future.

3. Bethany

November 16, 2011 at 1:12 am

This post is PURELY my own personal opinion…

I am a HUGE Sookie/Eric fan. However, since the very first book I have felt that in the end, Sookie is going to end up with Sam. CH has admitted without question that Sookie will in the end get to have kids, and have something similar to a normal life. Sam is the ONLY choice that allows for that. CH has also been very clear that Eric, however important to Sookie, will NOT be her OTL. She has been old and dear friends with Sam, she is currently his business partner, and they have so much history together. We saw a small bit of the spark back in the first book, when Sam finally took a chance and asked her out. But there have been other clues that Sookie and Sam are into one another. The many hot kissing scenes, the fact that Sam took Sookie to his family wedding, and all the resulted from that. I just have no doubts that in the end Sookie will end up with Sam.

Now I wish there was some way that Sookie could have it all and still be with Eric. I mean, there is a possiblity that she got pregnate with a Fae baby, and that would give her the child she has always wanted. And triplets do run in the family (Claudette, Claudine, and Claude are her cousins) as well as twins (Her grandfather was a twin) so she could get a whole brood in one go. They said the fae troubles would be wrapped up, but maybe that is just referring to the interferance of other outside fae, and not the little part-fae children that could possibly be entering her life. There were a couple of clues that she could be pregnate in DR, and a reminder that fae could change their appearance to look like someone else (say Claude/Eric?) Huge Ewe factor to us humans, but not so much when you figure the fae way of thinking. And their intrigue could play more of a part in that whole storyline as well. We won’t know for a few more months. In my perfect Sookieverse, Eric would be rid of his vampire-bride-wanna-be, and live a long and happy life with Sookie. (I know CH has been clear that Sookie will never be turned either.) And when she dies, she will leave a thousand-something year old, young looking, hot widower, who has lots and lots of grandchildren he loves as his own.

Again, just my own personal opinion. Not fan fiction, not that I have any more inside info that anyone else. There are only the two books left to read, and (please, please, please) maybe a few more short stories. I don’t even pretend to know more than CH herself.

Thanks for posting the interview gals. I read the whole thing, and enjoyed it so much. I just love to get to know CH on a more personal level like that. I feel like I understand her writing process already, and now I feel like I know it even better. πŸ™‚

• trixie

November 16, 2011 at 1:54 am

CH has NEVER said that Sookie will definitely have kids. She’s also never said she’ll have a “normal” life.
      She’s only mentioned in the past how Sookie “would like” to have them, and of course we have Sookie herself wishing for a conventional family life in the books.

But Sookie is changing, and what she thought she wanted at the start might change as well. Also, her kids would ALWAYS be in danger. There’s no escape from that, since Sookie is never gonna leave the supe community because despite everything she loves it. It’s not like she could just get away anyway…

Lastly, CH has NEVER confirmed Eric’s out of the running. Even if he was, she’d be an idiot to give away something so big, when she perfectly knows that Sookie’s choice is the most anticipated plot point. This is the last thing she’d be “very clear” about…

• Sookieleana

November 16, 2011 at 3:11 am

Bethany I understand why you are worried but I honestly believe Eric is the HEA. CH has invested so much more into his character than Sam’s. I don’t think it would be a logical ending for Sookie to end up with one guy when she feels such passion and desire for another. I don’t think CH has ever said Sookie will have children? (I may be wrong but I’ve never seen that). Eric is the Mr Rochester character of these books, Sam is a nothing character. It would be so disappointing for Sookie to have to settle for him and I don’t believe CH would do that to Sookie. Sam is not a safe option either, he is heavily involved in the sup world himself. I think Sookie now realises that she will never go back to leading a normal life now anyway. I really think it is all about Eric. I didn’t get what you are getting from STW either. Apart from the fact that I wouldn’t want to marry a man who thinks nothing of parading a woman in front of his own mother and passing her off as his girlfriend without a shred of guilt, I saw nothing in that story that lit Sookie’s flame with regard to Sam, just more evidence that she sees him as only a friend.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:13 pm

CH said that Sookie might ened up having kids but not her own.
        It’s an interview she did almost 2 years ago. She said Sookie wantes a traditional marriage and kids, but she will probably end up not having exactly this and if Sam is the end game i don’t see the reason for CH to say this.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm

sorry for the mistakes i meant *end up* and *wants*

4. Goldy Jean

November 16, 2011 at 7:19 am

Let’s hope Eric doesn’t have to wind up blind with one arm to be with Sookie. πŸ™‚

• Sookieeleana

November 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

LOL Don’t worry I’m sure he will stay in his current state of physical perfection πŸ™‚
      Shall we do the Mr Darcy comparison instead?

• esw45

November 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I am glad to hear you Sook and Trixie say the positive vibes about Sookie and Eric that you both feel because to me why would CH invest so much of the fans interest and time into their romance to just end it and have Sookie end up with Sam or anyone else that she really doesn’t have that connection of love and passion with Eric……i know most bookies wouldnt understand why…..

5. Bethany

November 17, 2011 at 2:36 am

WOW! I had not expected such response.

Firstly, yes, CH mentioned in several interviews that she sees Sookie having kids and what not (otherwise described as a normal life) to the best of her ability. I also agree that she has stated that Sookie longs for these things as well. In interviews done around the release of DR CH explained that it was the beginning of the wrap up of the Eric storyline, and that Sookie would be moving on. (not in exactly those words, but you get the gist.) Now that being said, CH has also mentioned that she knows her characters so well, that she sort of lets the story be told as she writes it. There are 2 books left, and who knows how many short stories left to cover the ground nessisary to wrap up the series. It is more than possible that CH’s vision is headed in a different direction than where she started out aiming. She always finds ways to suprise us no matter what she picks.

Now on the Sam front, he is always there somewhere. He has always come through for Sookie, protected her, forgiven her, loved her, etc. Yes, Eric and Sookie will always have something special, but the CD is going to be coming into play in the next book, and I personally think that her choice of who to use it for will spell out much more for us all.

It is still my fondest wish that Sookie end up with Eric, but remember what she said after the coup at Fangtasia, about what she knew she could and could not live with. I see that as a HUGE hint that Eric is not going to be the one she picks in the end. Even if she will always love him, that just might not be enough. And since she will NEVER be turned vampire, and she knows that vampire relationships don’t last very long either way, I thinks she sees a different future for herself.

Please remember that I have only stated my personal opinion based on the information I have read a few thousand times in the books. I just don’t understand how CH could keep bringing up that spark between Sam and Sookie if it was never meant to go anywhere. But that is just me, and I am more than happy to accept everyone else’s opinion as well. For all we know, we could all be off the mark. CH always has a suprise or two up her sleave, and I am never truly disappointed in them.

• trixie

November 17, 2011 at 6:47 am

Sorry but again I must repeat that CH has never said she was wrapping up the Eric storyline, nor that Sookie would be “moving on” from him. She never even suggested it. Of course she’s always vague and twisty and very seldom makes definite statements so it’s hard to interpret sometimes…
      I mean at this point she’s starting to wrap up Sookie’s story in general anyway, and Eric is still pretty much at the center of the main plot which definitely won’t be done with till the last book.
      Also, what CH HAS actually said, is that she’s known since book 2 how the story’s gonna end and has never changed her mind. And to me that’s clear in the planning of the structure of the series.

The thing about Sam is, yeah he’s always there, but he’s just “there”. His character doesn’t have an actual arc of personal development, and his relationship with Sookie is pretty much static throughout the books. There’s no growth or change or complexity there, and we don’t have any particular insight in his inner workings, and desires.

All of this has been reserved for Eric, who is so loved because the reader slowly gets to know him and empathize with him and follow his growth while discovering his many layers. His relationship with Sookie is, likewise, emotionally complex and full of struggles. It unfolds gradually and gets richer and richer with every book.

If Sam was Sookie’s intended then why do so little with him in terms of relevance and dynamicity? Clearly CH doesn’t find that interesting or needed for the story.
      Which makes me think: Why would she put by far the most effort into a character and a relationship who are ultimately not gonna be “it” for Sookie, and at the same time give so little time and care to her final choice? From a narrative standpoint, it makes zero sense.

November 17, 2011 at 11:08 am

Trixie, I disagree with you about Sam being “just there” in the last couple of books and short stories. He does have an arc of personal growth, although it’s not nearly as obvious as Sookie’s since the books are solely from her point of view. Her attention has been turned on Sam more and more lately, revealing their deep friendship (especially in DR and STW) and Sookie’s own surprise that her feelings might be moving beyond friendship.

As far as Charlaine’s motives, I would encourage you to read some of her other series, particularly the Aurora mysteries and Harper books. She has an obvious pattern when it comes to her heroine’s love lives, and that, more than personal preference, is what has Liz and I so confident that it will be Sookie and Sam in the end. But hey, she could break her pattern and surprise us!

• trixie

November 17, 2011 at 11:50 am

The books being from Sookie’s point of view hasn’t stopped Eric from getting TONS more character development than Sam. So his lack of development is not a necessity but a precise narrative choice.

I actually find Sam’s character to be quite unreadable and suspicious. He knows way more than he tells Sookie and his position in the supe community has yet to be made clear. IMO he’s a classic mistery book character in that the narrator never draws attention to him so he’s dismissed as harmless until the final revelation, and then you see the previous clues…

I’ve thought since early on in my reading that he was meant to be the last “competition” for Eric (we have a saying in Italy that goes “there’s no two without three”) and I’m pretty sure that’s where things are heading.

I DID read some of CH’s other series but I wasn’t in any way surprised by the way they ended, it felt right and I saw it coming. IDK, to me her works are each different and have to be analyzed according to their internal parameters…

November 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm

That’s the thing about literature, each reader has a different experience with it. When I was working on my Master’s in English Lit, I took a literary theory course where we read a single work and each person in the class applied a different theoretical perspective to it and presented to the class. It was a powerful exercise in showing how one piece of literature could be interpreted in a dozen different ways. Obviously Charlaine Harris is going to write the ending she desires, and we’re just along for the ride. In the meantime, it’s fun to speculate based on our perceptions of the books and short stories so far.

• Sookieeleana

November 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’ve read all of Charlaine’s other books and I still think it will be Eric πŸ™‚

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Me too, it’s quite abvious if you read her other stories.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I confirm what Trizie said, CH NEVER said something like that. She said Sookie wants a traditional marriage and kids but she won’t probably have what she want, not in her way and she said that Sookie might end up having kids but not her own.

November 17, 2011 at 11:02 am

Well said, Sookieeleana. Liz and I made some of those same points in this week’s podcast, with the added evidence of Charlaine’s other novels and her pattern for the heroine’s ultimate romance. I’ve made no secret that I’m a Sam fan and have been rooting for them to be together in the end, but I still think it’s been valuable for Sookie to have had these relationships with Eric, Bill and Alcide. (Not sure about Quinn…that guy never felt right, you know?)

• esw45

November 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Myself I hope she does and be different instead of following this pattern……sam is okay but he is not for sookie….he is not her hearts desire….and she should never settle.

• Sookieeleana

November 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

esw45 I’ve read the other books and I don’t see an obviously Sam ending from them. All I see is Sookie loves Eric and Eric loves Sookie ( just like Harper loved Tolliver and Tolliver loved Harper) and there is nothing Sam can do about that.
          Charlaine has spent so much time focusing on this relationship and making her readers so enamored with it all it would be extremely disappointing from the literary point of view for poor Sookie to accept a HEA with anyone else. She kept Sookie and Eric apart for as long as she could without it getting silly,first there was Bill then Quinn, the latter I view as purely filler to get to the the 10 book mark. It was book 9 when Sookie and Eric became the hottest couple in modern literature and as Charlaine was persuaded to extend the series to 13 books we’ll have to hang in there a bit longer yet.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Bravo πŸ™‚ i really loved Lily and Harper series, imo they were really good and Tolliver and Jake are definitely nothing like Sam, i mean Lily and Jake were in DR for a reason and Sookie said something important when she saw the pasison the had, she thought about her and Eric’s passion, she thought about how Lily fought hard for Jake, how she would even kill for the man she loves….important stuff here guys, and Sookie would do and did those things for Eric not someone else.

6. esw45

November 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Well Sookieleana, me and you both love Eric/sookie together…..I don’t understand, Mel grouping Eric in the same vain as Bill, Alcide her relationship with Eric has been much deeper than all of these other suitors combined…the deep love between them has made them so popular as a couple I don’t see how CH could explain to the majority of her book fans which are Eric and sookie lovers from what I have seen, that this deep connection these two have for one another is over….if she can do it without some backlash then she is an even greater writer than most.

• Sookieeleana

November 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

OMG she would not be able to do it without blacklash – there are many, many very eric-obsessed fans out there. I’m actually quite a normal one (well maybe) but it will not come to that I’m sure. Charlaine made us all fall for Eric for good reason. And you’re right we can’t put him in the same band as Bill or particularly Alcide – Sookie has never even had sex with Alcide – and boy has she had sex with Eric πŸ™‚

November 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

It wouldn’t be the first time Charlaine has had to deal with backlash over how she wrote her stories. Anyone who has read her Aurora Teagarden series knows exactly what I mean. πŸ˜‰

• trixie

November 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Oh yes I think I know what you’re referring to. Though in that case that character was meant to… ehrm… leave the narrative (I’m afraid to spoil it for anyone) way earlier than he did. CH then expressed regret over her decision to keep him in the story as her editor insisted she did. As a result many people had become more emotionally invested than she had originally intended. She vowed never to make the same mistake again.

Personally I liked the guy she ended up with, he was my favourite anyway. But usually I’m pretty damn good at predicting this stuff, and I’ve never felt disappointed by CH’s endings in her other series. I feel they’re always consistent with the protagonist’s journey.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This is what CH said about (character):
            (SPOILERS)

She said in another interview that letting her fans get too attached to somene who wasn’t the HEA was a mistake she wouldn’t do again….

So 11 books with building up S/E for nothing? i don’t think so, actually the opposite.

7. Bethany

November 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I certainly hope that at least one point you have drawn from my posts is that I am totally a Sookie/Eric fan. I state very clearly that in my perfect Sookieverse they would end up happy together, somehow both living their own perfect lives.

I just think that the context clues have always pointed to a Sam/Sookie pairing. Especially when Sookie starts to doubt weather she and Eric have a future when she considers “…what she can and can’t live with.” in DR. And so many other clues dropped in STW about how comfortable and normal it feels to be with Sam/his family. She learns so much about love/life/and herself through her other relationships with Bill/Eric/Alcide/Quinn (I do lump him in because she learned something about herself through that brief affair) But Sam and Sookie know each other in a way that nobody else in the books does. It isn’t because she can read his mind, or because he has Supe powers to know what she is feeling. It isn’t because he wants to control her (and I know Eric says he doesn’t, but he sure is controling at times, as he is used to getting his way) It is just natural, and more human than any of her other relationships. I have read the books honestly thousands of times, along with the short stories and interviews, and even more visits to her website than to this one. This is what I have gleaned from everything I have read.

I by no means have to prove myself right. As a matter of fact, I would be so happily suprised if Eric and Sookie could spend the rest of their lives together HEA and all. I am just enjoying seeing everyone’s passion for who they are rooting for posted here. My opinion may differ from my desire, but it is simply that. And I feel that we all have the right to our opinions on whatever subject we want to. Weather there is substance behind that opinion or not. I feel I have made my case for what I THINK CH is aiming at. And I can see clearly that both I am not alone, and that I do not share this opinion with everyone. But at the same time, what I see more clearly is the passion that CH’s characters and excelent writing brings out in all of us. Who knew that simply stating what I think might be ahead for the books has sparked such a debate.

Honestly, I just can’t wait to see what will really happen. And I am sure that no matter how it ends, I will be happy. And I will always hope that CH will add a short story or two down the road when she is feeling nostalgic. he he he

• trixie

November 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm

See, I really don’t think Sookie and Sam know each other like nobody else does. I think there’s A LOT Sookie (and thus the reader) doesn’t know about Sam, and Sam doesn’t really get Sookie. He’s also pretty judjmental of her choices and in the last 2 books I found his general behaviour increasngly shifty. He’s hiding something I tell ya!

Sookie has always doubted her future with Eric, that’s not news but rather a major thing throughout the books. There’s still a lot to be addressed and resolved in their relationship, that’s part of why I just don’t see the time to convincingly establish another one.

8. esw45

November 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Bethany, I aprreciate your opinion and your might very well have a correct assumption…..I still just can’t believe that CH would not realize how much love for Eric/Sookie that there is out here like me and you who loves them as a couple……but I have been on plenty of other sites…..they really love them together so CH might not care about the reaction it would cause if she puts sookie with Sam but it would be an outrage for some diehard book followers.

• Bethany

November 18, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I personally will be rather upset if they don’t end up together. I have loved the idea of Eric since book one. I just have that gut feeling, and reading the context clues in each book, I just see hints dropped everywhere that make it seem that Sam will be CH’s choice. That is all I have been saying all along. If I were the one creative enough to write such amazing books, I would find a way that Sookie and Eric could have their own HEA, and still be the strong indipendent people (characters of course) that they are individually. But I am not CH, and she kind of loves to go against the grain, and sometimes simply not do what the readers “want” or “expect” just to throw in a curve ball. She has stated that sometimes she even rewrites a portion of her books/short stories because there is so much assumption by the readers. (that was in a couple of her blog posts over the past year, you can look back at them, but I don’t feel like digging up a quote tonight.) I don’t think she thinks that it is as fun for her to write what the reader is expecting.

Also, regarding the HEA romance novel vs mystery concept… I think that who her HEA is going to be is one of the best played, and most well thought out mystries of the whole series. I mean what I have picked up from the books, and what I expect to see coming (I totally called DR & STW btw) is not exactly what others gleen from the same material. (As is evident by the responses to my other posts.) I think it adds an element of the fun that I associate with reading CH’s works.

And most of all I absolutely LOVE that my opinion has sparked so much passion in the other readers on this site. WTG everyone for sticking to their guns and not being afraid to speak their minds on the subject.

• Mony

November 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Don’t fret, she said it few times that she knows the majority of her readers ship them together πŸ˜‰

9. Irina

November 18, 2011 at 2:31 am

I read all the books and don’t see any romantic developments between Sam and Sookie. It’s true that in DR Sookie’s relationship with Eric is being tested. I don’t know how he’ll get out from his obligations to the Queen of Oklahoma. Personally, I don’t think Sookie will end up with anyone at the end of Book 13. As CH pointed out, the books are not romance novels but mystery/adventure stories. Is there really a need for a HEA? Why do we assume that the only proper conclusion for such an extraordinary young woman is to become a wife and a mother? Sookie has lots of adventures ahead of her. They will just have to happen in our imaginations.

• trixie

November 18, 2011 at 3:23 am

Sookie will have a partner at the end of the books. It’s confirmed by the author.

I totally agree with you that a conventional family life is most likely not on the cards for Sookie. Even CH commented that she’s not gonna have a traditional “white picket fence” HEA. I’m not even sure that’s what Sookie really wants…

But that doesn’t mean she can’t be in a stable fulfilling relationship and have a companion for her adventures.

10. CassyM

November 18, 2011 at 6:36 am

Yes, I believe CH has said Sookie will be with someone at the end. I’m not sure we will get a huge Bill type revelation about Sam or he’s just a total bore zzzzzzzzzz
    CH has said there will be more about the money Sookie lent Sam in the next book and I feel she may become his business partner – which would be great for her to be an owner of Merlotte’s. She and Eric would have one bar each then and could try to outdo each other πŸ™‚
    Also with regard to the short stories, since the whole WTF when did Sookie meet QSA? outcry I believe that CH said that nothing too important to the main story would happen in future short stories (as not everyone reads them or reads them in the correct order). So there you go – Sam features a lot in short stories – not important. Eric hardly ever features in short stories – is saved for the main event – important.

• Bethany

November 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Sam does feature a lot on the short stories, and I know that CH has decided not to write pivotol plots into the short stories that can’t be spelled out in the main books. (When I started reading the books, I got a copy that had One Word Answer in the back, then I lost that copy and was like “hey, I know the story, but where did it go, and how would I know it if I never read it?” LOL) But in every single book there is always something about how much Sookie trusts Sam, values his opinion, how well he just knows her, and accepts her for her. No they are not chapter after chapter of such things, but she is never without him on her mind, even in the background. They are friends first, and wanna-be lovers (they keep getting close without success, over and over) sort-of. She can’t read his mind as well as regular humans, and she doesn’t have to deal with the whole power struggle put in place with Eric and the whole Vamp comminity, or the Were community. He doesn’t feel the need to “expand the pack” if it runs thin either. There is no possible way for Sookie to lead a “normal life” but with Sam, she could come as close as possible, and not lose her connection to the Supe community that she has grown to love either.

Sookie has now had a couple of years of living the exciting life with the Vamps and Weres, and weres. (not to mention the Fae, and a few mostly demons sprinkled here and there. LOL) Somehow she keeps getting beat up, shot, kidnapped, or in some way nearly killed. She has lost so many people/Supes that she has grown to care about, and I think she is interested in something a little less hands-on-y with them.

I personally think the use of the Cluvel D’or will spell out a LOT. I mean it can only be used on someone she loves, and she would not use it willy nilly or why bother making it such a big deal. There are obviously a few men she could use it on, or maybe even Hunter (which would really mess with the masses) She might use it to help Sam, Eric, Bill, or who knows. But I just have a gut feeling that whoever she uses it on will be her HEA, or take her HEA out of the running completely. (far reaching consiquenses you know.)

11. Lyta

November 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm

why all the debate about Sookie HEA starts with who is more “appropriate” for her, who loves her more? as if she could turn her feelings on and off whenever you wish?
    not true, unfortunately I know, but for me the main thing is who would actually love Sookie? Who or what she wants? worth fighting for? or to conform and be with someone more suitable? this is one of the issues of books, in my opinion.
    I do not think Sam will have a revelation or something tricky hidden, for me it will always be the same Sam. But he is far from perfect, he judges the choices of Sookie and tries to give opinions about your life that are a bit intrusive IMO, friend or not, but he is a bit hypocritical if I were Jannalyn and thought that my boyfriend, the guy I love, was ashamed of me and tried to hide me from his family, I would be very hurt. No matter we may think about her, the fact is that she is the Sam’s girlfriend. What he did was wrong.
    Besides the fact that everyone says that Sam loves Sookie, but I never saw the confession to her, or do more than one or two small trials to be with her because when she broke up with Bill, and there was none, he not come to her and said I wanted to stay with her, he loved her and wanted to try? I have too much trouble for someone who is expecting his “beloved” to fall in your lap like a ripe fruit. LOL.
    I think Sam wants someone like Sookie, but she really likes women more ahhamm …. wild (given their preliminary choices for girlfriends).
    I also have a serious problem with the notion (especially from other women) that any man, friend or former boyfriend or whatever, “allows” his beloved has other relationships, only the person, whether male or female, must decide who has a relationship or not, and not need the “permission” of anyone. This infers that the person can “prohibit” the other person to love someone.

• Irina

November 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I haven’t read any of the short stories that feature Sam, but I haven’t really felt any heat between him and Sookie since Book 1. Sam and Sookie are friends, and there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, she had always thought he was attractive, but she thought Bill and Alcide were attractive too, and she had no problem kicking them to the curb. I don’t think that Sam really understands or appreciates Sookie anymore than Bill or Alcide ever did. All he does is judge her and tries to tell her what to do. I always felt that Eric was the only one who ever truly understood or accepted her for who and what she was. Even when he didn’t like her choices, he didn’t judge her for them. He protected her despite himself, not because he thought she was too stupid or weak to take care of herself. I don’t know what CH is planning for Book 13, but I will learn to live with it. I find I am not as invested in the books today as I am in the TV show True Blood.

12. HelenaHandbasket

November 21, 2011 at 11:13 am

CH: I don’t write absolutes. I don’t write the kind of “happily ever after” that romance readers enjoy. I’m not saying that “happily ever afters” are a bad thing, and I’m not saying Sookie will never be happy … but she’s ”not going to settle down and start a family” and have the white picket fence.

• Sookieleana

November 22, 2011 at 3:26 am

Thanks for posting that πŸ™‚

• HelenaHandbasket

November 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

You’re welcome πŸ™‚

• Sookieleana

November 23, 2011 at 3:23 am

Hopefully Bethany has seen it and it might put her mind at rest over the kids issue.

13. Liz

November 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Out of respect for those who have not read Charlaine’s other books, please keep spoilers out of the comments here. I have already had to edit a few comments.

• trixie

November 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Sorry! you’re right I should have known better.