SPOILERS: Denis O’Hare Teases True Blood Season 5

In the latest issue of SciFiNow magazine, featuring True Blood on the cover, Denis O’Hare gives us a little tease for his return to True Blood season 5.

“I’m not going to come back to True Blood until mid-March.  I had a meeting with Alan Ball last week, and they have devised an amazing trick to allow me to be present, but not fully acting.”

Denis will be starring in an off-Broadway play that he wrote, The Iliad, running January-March, so it sounds like Alan is working with his schedule to insure the return of Russell Edgington (is he still King?). Now how could he “be present, but not fully acting”? Maybe some voiceovers? And if Denis doesn’t report to the set until mid-March, then does that mean Russell doesn’t show up until halfway through the season? So many questions!

1. embrace

January 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm

cant wait to see him back!

2. Bethany

January 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Granted I prefer the RE from the books, I can’t wait to see how they work this into the show. I love that they strive so much for the quality of the show, and still let the actors pursue their personal carears. It just goes to show how wonderful the show really is. So many other shows have gone down the path of “you work for me” and end up messing with the chemistry. True Blood holds true to what they know works, and keeping their actors happy seems to be working really well. I too can’t wait til June!!!!!

3. Cha

January 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

What the? Talk about cryptic v/o’s would be a good assumption or maybe they will shoot him by himself and then do magic editing we will be able to tell if some of his scenes are strictly cutting to the actors in close up alone rather than seeing them in frame together. I cant wait to see… With the start of 2012 I can see the light at the end of the tunnel once we get to April it’ll really fly by. It seems like just yesterday we were talking about s4 finale.

4. Sookieeleana

January 2, 2012 at 7:18 am

Wonder what he means, very intriguing. Alcide should inform Eric straight away that Russell is free but I thought we would just get them worrying about him for the first few episodes. Sounds like it won’t be as straight forward as that. I’m still putting my money on Salome being his child and setting him free.

• esw45

January 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I am not so sure Sookieleana, that Salome is the one that let him out…..I think Chris Meloni’s character might have freed him because I think he is the big bad this season.
      Alcide has issues with vampires in general and Eric in particilar so i can imagine him not running to Eric and telling him about Russell.

• Sookieeleana

January 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

You could be right but I presumed that Russell would be against the authority as he certainly didn’t respect their power in season 3. He also set back their cause by killing the guy on live TV. I don’t know why they would release him or how they would know where he is?

5. Steph from fangswandsandfairydust.com

January 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

Present but not fully acting? A few possibilities:
    Lying-in state;
    Green Screen – CGI;
    Using the method they used in the Sopranos when the actress playing Tony’s mother died but they still needed her?
    Am I the only person not thrilled by the idea of the “Return of the King?”

• Cha

January 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Yes… Lol just kidding. I’m sure you’re not alone. He scared me so badly in s3 because I felt he was a true threat to the main characters. I love to hate him and hate to love him. I just think he brings that extra umph so I’m super happy he’s back.

• Sookieeleana

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Yes I’m looking forward to him coming back, but I am concerned that his character will be watered down to keep him in the show. Basically he is the arch-enemy – he should want to kill Eric and probably Sookie as well. However I can see them teaming up to fight the authority (look how Eric and Bill are now teamed up even though Bill tried to kill Eric). It will have to be very,very, very well written for the audience to buy them all on the same side. I may be completely wrong of course and he will be the big-bad again I just have a feeling that is more going to be the authority. After the disappointment of the villain last season I would love Russell to be back and bad. Only 6 months and we’ll find out.

6. Jules

January 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Maybe they will make it seem as though he is “lurking in the shadows” ( although not RE’s style) & provide him time to recover from the cement burial ( being so old, it shouldn’t take long) & in the meantime having Salome do his bidding.

7. mike

January 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm

i’m sure there will be a path of dead bodies and destruction leading to his on-screen return