Official True Blood Cookbook Coming This Fall

Chronicle Books and HBO just announced that The True Blood Cookbook is coming this Fall. You may recall that Liz and I were co-authoring an unofficial True Blood cookbook, announced last year. Well, that project was nixed by both HBO and Penguin for intellectual property reasons. Looks like someone thought it was a good idea, though! The True Blood Cookbook is an official publication coming from Alan Ball (with Karen Sommer Shallett and Marcelle Bienvenu). Here’s the full press release:

CHRONICLE BOOKS TO PUBLISH OFFICIAL COMPANION COOKBOOK TO SMASH-HIT HBO® SERIES TRUE BLOOD®

Take a Bite Out of the Bayou in Fall 2012

SAN FRANCISCO – March 13, 2012 – Chronicle Books and HBO are pleased to announce the forthcoming publication of The True Blood Cookbook, by series creator Alan Ball (with Karen Sommer Shallett and Marcelle Bienvenu), expected in Fall 2012. The True Blood Cookbook will be filled with photos from the show’s four seasons, side stories, and authentic southern recipes for the local fare of the insatiable world of Bon Temps.

“Millions of fans agree there’s nothing more exciting on television than True Blood, and much of that fun comes from the witty and delicious symbolism food and drink brings to so many scenes,” said Christine Carswell, Chronicle Books’ Publisher. “The True Blood Cookbook will relish the flavors of the True Blood universe with plenty of authentic dish—both on the plate, and behind-the-scenes.”

“This book will be substantial, with recipes that capture the unique ambiance, dark humor, and complexity of characters that make up the magical and offbeat world of True Blood,” states Ball. “In other words, it will be a worthy of ‘Trubies’ everywhere.”

Mixing romance, suspense, mystery and humor, the True Blood takes place in Louisiana in the not-too-distant future, when vampires have come out of the coffin, thanks to the invention of mass-produced synthetic blood that means they no longer need humans as a nutritional source. The show follows the romance between waitress Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), who can hear people’s thoughts, and her soul mate, 173-year-old vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer). Alan Ball (creator of the Emmy®- winning HBO series Six Feet Under®) created and executive produces the show, which is based on the best-selling Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris.

NOTE: This thread is about the forthcoming cookbook, not the outdated description of the show or who is who’s soulmate. Please stay on topic.

1. Sookieeleana

March 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Bill is NOT Sookie’s soul mate. Seriously I wish they would update this type of stuff.
    Do they purposefully try to agitate a huge proportion of their audience?

• Bethany

March 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I totally agree, but then I reread the whole thing and saw that their “other words” used poor grammar in an official press release??? I might not use the best grammar on here, but I am not paid to post either. LOL My guess is whoever wrote that was reading the first season description of the show, where that is all we knew at the time. I just hope that Caroline Belfluer’s Famouse Chocolate Cake is something other than using a box mix. LOL (Like they did in the Sookie Stackhouse Companion)

• esw45

March 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Sookieleana That is horrible that they haven’t updated this stuff……the cookbook might be interesting?

• Millarca

March 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

The cookbook sounds interesting and I’d love a copy, but I won’t be buying it until they issue an updated version which consigns the myth that Sookie and Bill are soulmates to history. The show might have been based on Charlaine Harris’ books, but it went off on a frolic of its own fairly quickly and the characters and main thems differ so much from the creator’s model that they are hardly recognisable. True Blood Bill stood by and watched Sookie get bashed to near death so he could get his blood into her to manipulate her for his own purposes and he continued to lie to her about it until Eric forced his hand. Bill does not love and respect Sookie for who she is, but for who he wants her to be. I’m not sure “soulmate” is an appropriate word for anyone, but if Sookie has one it’s Eric; he’s the one who bought and lovingly restored her treasured home so it would be ready for her when she returned, because he never gave up hope.

2. Bethany

March 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

So I have every single Sookie book, short story compilation, etc. And I do love to cook. Even with the terrible promotional write up (Is it just me, or does the writing publication industry need to hire better proof readers?) I will be running out to pick up this cookbook the second it hits shelves. If it is only sold on HBO.com I will even buy it there, but would rather pick it up so I can start making the dishes inside right away.

3. Susanna Adams

March 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I thought Eric was Sookie’s soulmate…He’s the one that really gets me”

4. HelenaHandbasket

March 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I would have bought your cookbook, Mel & Liz!
    And, I enjoyed the recipes in the “Sookie Companion.”

But this? From Alan “Spirit of the books” Ball?… Ummmm…NO. Never.

I will never buy anything that man tries to sell, again. Ever.
    Onscreen or off.
    And if the pages are laden with pictures of TB’s supposed “Soul mates” then maybe it would make a good diet aid. Bon appetite? I think not.

5. Rina

March 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I hope they don’t put this soulmate nonsense into the cookbook, or I am not buying it. There is no such thing as soulmates. Charlaine Harris never said that anyone was Sookie’s soulmate, and Alan Ball is just blowing smoke up all our asses.

Liz and Mel, I hope you are getting some credit for the idea of a True Blood Cookbook. It should be interesting to see what HBO comes up with. Most of their merchandise is crap and out of touch with the majority of TB viewers.

• esw45

March 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I hope that soulmates stuff is not in the cookbook either…..I wouldn’t buy it either way…..but your opinion is just that your opinion…..but other truebies has opinions that sookie has a soulmate…..or who they want her to be with….its all good to me that everyone should have an opinion put it out ….I like her with Eric myself but hey that’s just my opinion…..

• Sookieeleana

March 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Whatever our opinions are it is a fact that TB is no longer about Sookie and Bill’s romance. It hasn’t been for over a season now and if they they keep their word a keep to “the spirit of the books” the show will not be about their romance again. I know you are just being polite esw45 🙂 I’m afraid I’m not so polite.

6. esw45

March 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hey Sookieleana, I am glad your putting your opinions our here……I am in total agreement with you! Staying on subject…..hopefully there so.e good recipes in this cook book.

7. Mel

March 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

8. skargasmic

March 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Why Alan Ball and the powers that be at HBO can’t come up with their own original ideas is beyond me. This is already been done in the Sookie Stackhouse Companion, there were some recipes. I really wish Alan would use his own supposed genius and coming up with his own original ideas, instead of riding Charlaine’s coattails!

March 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

To be fair, it’s not like this will be the only True Blood inspired cookbook published. HBO owns the rights to the show and can produce whatever they wish, just like the items in their shop. As for Alan Ball not having his own ideas, True Blood is his original idea, based on Charlaine Harris’ novels. Not to mention his other ideas that have been very successful, one even winning him an Oscar. It’s quite off the mark to think that Alan is riding anyone’s coattails.

9. May

March 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Guess I’ll wait and see what the Official cookbook looks like. I loooooove what I can see of the Unofficial TB Cookbook, though! The recipe names are inspired. I particularly enjoyed the Alcide list but that’s just my punny side dogging me. HA!

10. Ally

March 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

This is just more disrespect to the source material and the fans of the show and the books alike. I won’t be buying this product for sure. Anyways, it sounds like a knock off of the recipes in the Sookie Companion. Not interested.

11. Goldie Jean

March 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Have we really ever seen any human cooking on the show? All I can think of in terms of food was Russel’s partner saying, “I have to go drain the next course.” Eww.

March 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

You mean besides Lafayette, Terry, Jason, and Gran? You said “human”, but I think we could count Sookie and Sam, too.