Anna Paquin & Christopher Meloni Cover TV Guide for True Blood

The latest issue of TV Guide magazine features a beautiful cover photo of Anna Paquin and Christopher Meloni to promote True Blood season 5. The mag also has some scoop about the new season thanks to spending some time on the set during a vampire execution scene. Here’s an excerpt:

“When that blood hit me in the face, I went, ‘This looks awesome!'” Meloni says gleefully. It’s nearly 11pm and it took two hours to set up the shot — called a “goo drop.” A bucket of stage blood (with some latex blobs mixed in for guts) is suspended from a scaffold. Just below it hangs an empty suit of clothes matching what the actor playing the doomed vamp is wearing. As the stake goes in, the bucket empties through the garments, and the bloodsucker is no more. There’s only one chance to get it right. And Meloni nailed it.

The actor’s excitement is matched only by the seriousness of the character he plays: Roman, the 500-year-old head of the Vampire Authority with the weight of the world on his pinstripe-suited shoulders. He’s chief executive not only of the vampire government but of their religion, too. “My first day on set, I recited a prayer in Aramaic,” says Meloni. No separation of church and state here.

“Roman is a politician who has a dream,” explains executive producer Alan Ball. “He was behind the coming-out-of-the-coffin [movement], something that’s been in the works for at least a hundred years. But there are factions in the vampire community who want to go back to the Dark Ages and feed on humans. The biggest arc in Season 5 is the future of peaceful coexistence.” Adds Meloni, “Roman’s determined. He wants peace, but others have been trying to stomp out his path. Think Obama with very long incisors.”

Read the rest of the story, including how Bill and Eric fit into the Authority and what’s coming up for the Eric-Sookie-Bill triangle, on the TV Guide website and in the magazine.

1. Jessica

May 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Those are two people that I never thought I’d see working together! Much less on the same show! Haha, but I’m sure he’s going to do a fine job. I am SO PUMPED for season 5! 😀

2. venus

May 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love it!!! glad they let chris be on the cover, give him his props, I thought maybe anna and alex would be on the cover, but I love that chris is there, and I love his telling of his days on the set. First I have to get this tv guide so I can read the rest of the interview and find out more of what is going on, and second I want to see pics of him, who am I kidding.

3. venus

May 22, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I have one more thing to say I think it would have been even hotter if they had all they guys on the cover, like bill eric chris , russell, Ohh the would be really hot, but this one will do. but ladies I have to be honest I am not looking at anna.

4. Wemoonwitch

May 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

The spoilers in this article are beyond anything I’ve read before. Just thought I should warn folks. One thing that made me thrilled, seems this season will center around the vamp world and political conflicts within it. I think that’s a smart move. I felt like, even though I enjoyed the last two seasons, there were a few too many threads (the baby thing, the faeries, and sam’s family). I’d like it if the core of the series was the vamp world and all other threads were linked in some way to that. It felt a little disjointed the way it’s been. It’s not like I’m completely uninvested or uninterested in what’s going on w/ non-vamp characters, but the flow of the show could be better and more dramatic if things tied together more.

• venus

May 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

I am in 100% agreement with you. I have not enjoyed the show since season 1, and 2 3 was ok but 4 by far was not the best. What I always loved about the show was the vampires, and I wanted more about their world and wanting to be apart of human society. So this season I am excited that the attention shift back to the vampires. I never really care for the fairy world to be honest and the werewolfs were not that great either, but to me when all this other suff fairs , werewolfs witches and other ghost I lost intrest in the show ( I have to be honest) but now that the vamps are back and the vamp world Oh boy I am so ready for this season, I have not been this excited since season 2, so very much looking forward to it.

5. Oh sookie 1

May 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Where can I buy a tv guide?

May 24, 2012 at 8:49 am

At any newsstand, bookstore, and usually by the cash register at the grocery store, drug store, Target, Walmart, etc.

6. aqh45

May 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

they both look great and i enjoyed the article very much. only one complaint: tv guide photo-shopped the hell out of these pics…WHY? *sigh*

May 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Could you be more specific about the photoshopping? I don’t understand your complaint.

• aqh45

May 31, 2012 at 3:25 am

i have my copy in my lap and the photos are photo shopped. and they don’t need to be. it makes these 2 look almost plastic-like. i think both actors are attractive and talented…the photo-shopping was just not necessary. but then again-it’s tv guide. it’s a common thing with this particular publication.