Tonight On True Blood: Season 5 Premiere {Live Chat}

The wait is OVER! True Blood season 5 premieres tonight, after 9 long months of waiting. We’ve tried to keep you abreast of all the news about this season during the hiatus, and we hope you were at least mildly entertained by the polls, articles, and podcasts, but now…now it’s time for some fresh blood!

REMINDER: We are providing live commentary for the season 4 finale repeat airing on HBO Zone at 7/6c today. Join us on HBO Connect as we relive the final episode of season 4!

Tonight’s episode is titled “Turn! Turn! Turn!” and airs at 9/8c on HBO. Here’s the official synopsis:

Sookie and Lafayette clean up the Tara and Debbie Pelt mess; Bill and Eric are visited by the Vampire Authority; Sam and Alcide deal with an angry werewolf pack.

As always, we’ll be hosting a live chat during the episode right here at True-Blood.net. Set yourself a reminder below, then be back here at 8:45/7:45PM as we kick off our premiere party. (It’s BYOB. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

While you wait, you might want to check out these features:

NOTE: We will not provide links to watch or download online. The only legal method of watching True Blood season 5 is on HBO and HBO GO. Per our site guidelines and comment policy, any requests or posting of illegal information will be removed immediately.

1. Brianna

June 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Me and my friends are having a true blood party at my house and there’s gonna be cake with Eric’s face on it. We are so gay but I am not ashamed

• Ryan

June 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hey now gay is good thing for one I am and omg Erik is a hottie.

• KelliNorthman

June 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm

*Eric

Not that I mind Erik with a K, I’m a huge POTO fan. lol.

Anyway, I’m having a huge True Blood party tonight, my whole house is decorated in True Blood decorations, lol. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Justin

June 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Yes he is and tara is a vap !!!!

• David C

June 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Gay over here too, and YES, ERIK IS A F*****G Hottie-Po-Tot-ti

2. Emily

June 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’ve been doing a true blood marathon since midnight!!!! I have Eric pictures up all over my house, and I live in Lousiana so, extra bouns!!!!!

3. Carrie

June 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’m so excited about where the characters might go this season. I don’t like peaking ahead I like the True Blood to flow and unfold right in front of me. Happy Season Premier everyone.

4. BgInAz

June 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Its been a long 9 months. Did anybody see pics of the Red Carpet for True Blood? I think Sookie is pregnant. At least she looked like it in the pics.

June 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Actress Anna Paquin is pregnant. Sookie is not.

5. Agronyx

June 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Anyone know if HBO Go is airing the show live also?

June 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Yes, it’s streaming live on HBO GO.

6. Ken

June 10, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I can’t believe that Tara is a vampire. And she looks mad as hell, too.

• michelle

June 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I know I cant believe it and why is she mad?

• Ken

June 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Probably because she hates vampires so much, and now she’s a vampire?

7. Brooke K.

June 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Anyone know how to access the Q&A with Rutina tomorrow?

• GeeGee

June 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

8. Dawn

June 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Ok really Tara a vampire? She will be like Bubba from the book I bet.

• Rachel

June 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I thought that too! I am happy they don’t seem to be going that route… She just seems crazy (in a good way) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Brooke K.

June 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I dunno, she’s perched on Sookie’s sink like a freak. The previews don’t show her talking or interacting at all …. she looks disoriented! Like a zombie vampire. Seems like a Bubba – like Tara to me… ๐Ÿ™ I’m really pissed at Alan Ball right now!

9. tiffany

June 10, 2012 at 11:07 pm

this is gonna be the best season ever. if u think so too say fang banger V–V

10. Stephanie

June 11, 2012 at 12:06 am

Does anyone else think Eric dropping Sookie like that was fast? Obviously Bill still cares for her but Eric seems completely over it. Im so excited about Taras storyline with Pam this season, love Pam! Ooohhhh I’m so excited! Yay for season 5!

• esw45

June 11, 2012 at 12:24 am

I don’t believe that Eric really is over her but he is going to act like he has moved on …..Alan Ball always likes to make Eric the bad one compared to Bill which is ridiculous to me.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Eric is not over Sookie, he’s trying to act like he is and move on. He just told her he loved her in ep. 10 last season. He’s obviously not over her. He’s hurt, pissed, and probably trying to keep his distance, both emotionally and physically. Nora is part of that. Guaranteed it won’t last, he’s not going to be able to pretend forever.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Wanted to add that in the show’s timeline, only one day ago Eric was hoping to be with Sookie so his feelings obviously didn’t change that quickly. He’s just putting up his guard now that he was rejected and I’m sure we’ll see him try to keep it there for a while. I feel that’s very in character for Eric. He feels like (right now) that he finally opened up, truly to someone, and loved them and it only got him hurt.

• Mary

June 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I think that the directors and producers of the show are continuing to portray these characters in an atypical fashion from the books (yes, I know–countless people have said this). I thought Eric’s behavior was not typical of the Eric in the books, so once again Eric has been remade to be a much different Eric than we are accustomed to and one I might add who lacks any depth to his personality. Book Eric is so much more interesting. That said, I still found his behavior of having rather enthusiastic sex with another woman a bit off-putting. Here he professes to love Sookie but not 24-48 hours later he has sex with another woman? If he loved Sookie so much, why would he do that? I think the powers that be have decided that Eric is moving on whether the fans want it or not. Any hope for a Sookie/Eric hookup is gone in my opinion and I have to say I’m a bit disappointed in the show for that reason. My enthusiasm for True Blood has waned quite a bit, but I will continue to watch for the other storylines i.e., what kind of vampire Tara will turn out to be with Pam for a mommy.

11. Christina

June 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

I don’t think Eric is over Sookie at all. In fact, it is in character for him to be doing the stuff we saw in 5×01. He opened himself completely to Sookie, something he never does, and he got rejected. So now he is lashing out.

But at the same time, I think this show always goes way far out of its way to make Eric look bad and Bill look good.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I think that it’s in character for Bill to go running like that, and for Eric to be upset about what happened with Sookie. Bill always tries to play the hero, but the show has made sure to paint his character with shades of grey. We often don’t know his true motivations or intentions, we’ve seen that he has a habit of lying to Sookie, or saying things to manipulate her (see season 3 finale, ep. 4.05, ep. 4.06, 4.12). Even the first time he told Sookie he loved her was to get her to forget about him killing her Uncle Bartlett. The difference between Bill and Eric (on the show) is Eric is in your face honest about his motivations and intentions (whether good or bad) and will admit and own up to them, and won’t try to emotionally manipulate Sookie to get her on his side by making sure to play hero in front of her or use flowery words. Bill will. Bill is always concerned by how it will look to Sookie, so he makes sure to put on a good face for her or hide his actions. That’s just what I’ve seen clearly from the show’s portrayal of his character.

June 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

But how much of that characterization can also be ascribed to the way they were raised when they were human? That was Liz’s original point, that Eric was born and raised a Viking warrior in a harsh, unforgiving, often violent feudal society. Bill was raised as a Southern gentleman in a much more genteel society. Eric has learned to temper his Viking tendencies, to adapt, after a millennium of being undead, but he’s still as much a Viking prince as Bill is a Southern gentleman. IMO, both of them are behaving as their characters should based on their personalities as shaped by their experiences.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I agree to a certain extent, that the way they were raised as humans shaped who they are today. We got a tast of that in Bill’s human civil war flashback and Eric’s Viking flashback. We got to see Eric being a playboy, but then later assuming his responsibilities to his father and growing up and becoming a warrior, and we got to see Bill wanting to shoot that dying soldier to shut him up (in the show). But I also think the years they’ve lived since have had just as much of a role in who they became today, as did who their makers were, and just the fundamental core aspects of Eric and Bill’s personalities.

Eric can be selfish, proud, harsh etc. amongst his good qualities, but from what I’ve seen the show has shown a great deal of darkneess is just innate in Bill, along with the tendency to try and convince himself and others that he’s a better guy than he is, and that’s why I have a hard time referring to him as a southern gentleman, even though yes some of those oldfashioned “damsel in distress” tendencies were obviously instilled in him during that time period he lived as a human.But it’s not what defines him as a character to me, not on the show.

12. Liz

June 11, 2012 at 10:13 am

You know, truth be told, Eric’s character wasn’t all that great in the books either. He always looked out for number one. To be fair though, he was a Viking warrior. They were a very proud people. It’s part of who Eric is and trying to paint him any different is what’s ridiculous. He is who he is, and Bill was a Southern gentleman. That’s who he is. like it or not.

• esw45

June 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

Bill is about as much of a gentleman as no body please ….gimme a break …..as a black man I don’t think much about southern gentleman same people that owned slaves and were part of the KKK so I don’t think much of southern gentleman…..Eric has his weak points but still he was better than bill in the books ….Bill who cheated and raped Sookie …..Alan Ball on true blood has taken liberties and decided to make Bill more than he was in the books and taken some of Eric’s moments with Sookie and given them to Bill ….this is a just a fact so I just accepting that True Blood has some characters names from CH books but that’s all they have in common because its Alan Ball’s fan fiction and that’s true.
      Eric is a very good character but I don’t want them the writers to revert him back to season 1 version of Eric which is a non feeling, don’t give a damn vampire …..he has grown every season and that is what has made him the most interesting and popular character on true blood to me in particular.

June 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion Eric, and I am entitled to disagree with your assessment. You said Bill “is” as much of a gentleman as nobody, but I was talking about where his history lay; Eric’s as well. I was not referring to what he is in the present day. So you have misunderstood me and immediately went on the defense. You are also stuck in that same old cry about what Bill did to Sookie, never even mentioning what Eric has done to her, or his complete selfishness. I am not a hater of either of these characters, but I can at least be honest and see them as who they were created to be. I thought I was pretty fair in my analysis of both characters, admitting the good and the bad in them, and I’ve always done so on this site. So please, step back from my face a tad?

• esw45

June 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I am not in your face …..if you believe I am that’s your issue not mine ….I am stating are facts about the true blood and the books.

June 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Eric, you’re stating your opinion of the show and the books. The way characters are portrayed is often subjective. We interpret actions, motives, and emotions differently, so while you’re interpretation is valid, so is Liz’s.

June 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

No, you’re stating your own personal interpretation of the show and the books. Rather strongly too. I get it True Blood fans are a passionate lot! Including moi.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I agree that Eric can be selfish, but so can Bill and the show has shown that many times. Bill also manipulates Sookie by saying things he know will sway her or make her sympathize with him. He even stole Eric’s words to Bill from ep. 6 and said them to Sookie, or he’ll do things to try and play the hero and get into Sookie’s good graces. Eric doesn’t need to do those things. He doesn’t care about getting credit for his actions, he just does them. Bill does care about getting credit.

As far as the show, Bill is a MUCH darker character on the show than in the books, so I don’t get why people always say his actions are being glossed over.

Yes, they seem to go out of their way to show Bill always tries to be the hero, but then we see his motivations are always questionable or suspect or he does things and lies about things that completely shade his character.

• Ashley

June 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm

When I said ep. 6, I mean ep. 4.06.

13. logic

June 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm

i am a lil sad that it looks like they are closing the book on sookie and eric ๐Ÿ™ they will definitely be in each others lives. The fairies are coming back and he did kill sookies fairy godmother, so i can see her trying to save him but as far as getting together, i’m not very hopeful…

14. kiki t.

June 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m thinking Sookie & Alcide are going to get closer. Just a guess…