Recap 5.2 True Blood: Authority Always Wins

“Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Sanguinista movement?”

Puppy werewolf in jammies! Sooo cute!

But Lord and Lilith, the original vampires, hidden behind doors? The council itself? The child vampire? Someone has been reading a whole lot of Anne Rice. Doesn’t mean it won’t be fun. But it did mean that there was this uncomfortable feeling of familiarity for me when I was expecting something more original. At least the Vampire Authority Council was chock full of good character actors. I was especially happy to see Christopher Heyerdahl, who turns up in all my favorite shows, each time with a different accent. I’m not a fan of Christopher Meloni as boss vamp (whatever he’s in that has made him a star, I don’t watch it) and to be honest, he didn’t seem all that vampire-like. Not yet, anyway. We shall see.

I did like the idea of a vampire Bible (the Original Testament) and the communion scene. If their testament said Adam and Eve were created to feed vampires, though, then isn’t mainstreaming antithetical to the holy book that the Authority reveres? It doesn’t make sense that they’ve prioritized mainstreaming to the point of executing any vampire who strays. Oh, well. Maybe it’ll make more sense as the season progresses.

We finally got a glimpse of Russell, who is running through victims and still not looking his best. I’m just happy he’s back. And I’m assuming he’s going to be the poster child of the Sanguinista movement, the vamps who are anti-mainstreaming? I’m also enjoying Steve Newlin as a gay vampire so very, very much. Especially his scenes with Jessica. Steve trying to buy Jason from Jessica was way funny. I also thought it was interesting that Steve knew something about what was going on in New Orleans. Somebody we haven’t seen let Russell out, and somebody is feeding him. Is it Steve? Too obvious?

Gee. Do you think Tara may be having adjustment issues? I wonder if it’s just too late for me to truly like Tara again. At least I can definitely say that this might be the most interesting thing they’ve done with her character, and I want her to figure out how to handle it, mostly for Lafayette’s sake.

I am definitely enjoying Bill and Eric as best buds, and I’m glad Authority wasn’t
able to turn them against each other, even with ultraviolet and silver IV torture. (The IV was reminiscent of lethal injection, which I’m sure was deliberate.) Bill was actually acting like a king should, taking responsibility for everything (Eric looked shocked). His final Russell Edgington gambit is obviously what is going to get them out of there. I think.

Also really loved the Pam flashbacks. 1905 San Francisco! Even though they were so not what we got about Pam’s past in the books, seeing Pam as a human and meeting Eric for the first time (when he saved her from the local Jack the Ripper, no less) was great fun with period costumes. That red dress of hers was something special, and I’m not really into clothes.

And Alcide continued to be cool. I’m actually liking him more as the series progresses, and I was never a fan of book Alcide. He’d make a great packmaster. But Grandma Martha creeps me the heck out. She wants to see Emma? Where was she when her son Marcus was terrorizing his family? And Luna really ticked me off by dumping Sam, right after he went off to endure torture and die for her and her daughter. Bad Luna, no biscuit. Especially since Sam turned out to be correct. Emma’s a puppy werewolf. Sooooo cute!

Bits and pieces:

— Absolutely loved the “Stake House” with the anti-vampire weapons. I especially loved the silver nail polish.

— What ancient language was the script on the wall? Who was in the painting?

— Why didn’t the Authority prisoners get under their beds to shield themselves from the UV rays?

— Andy found Debbie Pelt’s car. Not good. But he managed to resist the V. Very good. Maybe Holly is good for him. Jason obviously is.

— Hoyt moved back in with Mama. His attitude has adjusted radically, though. And Maxine was so thrilled that Jason took Jessica away from Hoyt that she was ready to bake Jason a pie.

— I don’t know what’s going on with Terry and the veteran/fire subplot, and I still don’t care. Although I like Arlene’s loyalty to Terry, and her determination to figure out what was going on.

Quotes:

Lafayette: “Do something!”
Pam: “I am. I’m laughing.”

Jason: “That’s getting to eat the pie without paying for the cow. Win win.”

Steve: (on camera) “I’m here to tell ya, Jesus loves vampires.”

Eric: “A lady should be more careful.”
Pam: “If I meet a lady, I’ll let her know.”

Salome: “It’s wonderful to be a vampire, isn’t it?”
Eric: “Generally, yes. Right now? Not so much.”

Girl: “Can I say, before you became a vampire, you were a massive dick.”
Steve: “I know!”

I certainly enjoyed it, although a couple of times I felt like there was too much going on (a common reaction I have to True Blood). Three out of four bottles of silver nail polish,

Billie

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Madeleine

June 19, 2012 at 10:30 am

Billie asked : If their testament said Adam and Eve were created to feed vampires, though, then isn’t mainstreaming antithetical to the holy book that the Authority reveres?

I think this is a reference to religion in general, there alaways are those who take a text literally and those who interpret it, and I think Dieter even mentioned that briefly during the interrogation of Bill.
    The Sanguinista movement takes the text literally, like religious fundamentalists take the old testament literally. The authority interprets it like we usually do with the bible today.
    To me that makes sense, considering that some people still quote the bible to justify their prejudice against gay people, or believe they will rewarded if they bomb all non-believers to bits and pieces. (and didn’t we have something similar already?) It would certainly fit into the tenor of some aspects of the show.

2. Mexton

June 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

There was a lot going on and after reading the spoilers it’s going to be a lot going on for the rest of the season.

3. Christine

June 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

“That red dress of hers was something special, and I’m not really into clothes.”
    So, do you go around naked? Heh heh heh…sorry, I just had to say it.

4. Kathy

June 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Chris Meloni naked is a very good thing–and having watched him on 2 series, he’ll live up to the hype as an actor as well!

5. Eva

June 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

So far I am not enjoying the whole Tara is now a vampire. I find myself getting lost in what’s going on because again there are too many story lines. The only thing I am interested in is who released Russell and the authority. I was hoping they would take it back to the book and have long shadows boyfriend who released Russell to get revenge on Sookie. Well we will see.

June 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Multiple storylines have been the makeup of True Blood since season 1. Going into its fifth season and looking forward to a sixth, you may want to finally get used to this blueprint.

• Symone

June 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I agree with Eva, there are too many different storylines. They don’t have to show all those small storylines on every episode. They should change some of the main cast members into guest stars. I hope the next season will be better since Alan Ball wont be around. He messed a lot of storylines from the book that really pissed me off.

June 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Well you’ll be unhappy to learn that though Alan stepped down the writing staff remains in tact and they were all hand picked by Alan and have been working with him all this time. So I guess this mean you won’t be around next season?

• Stephy B

June 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

What’s the fun in watching a show that is exactly like the books? The show is INSPIRED by the books, not a page for page enactment. The show would be a bore because you would already know what happened.

• Mexton

June 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I agree with you Symone too many story lines and the series is really getting from the heart of why it was created in the first place. Why can’t Sookie and Pam feel there is something wrong when Eric was being tortured? I can see if the story picked up with a gap in time and the blood wore off but it picked up the same night. Sookie learning more about her blood line should be a good story line. I guess Sookie having to fend for herself will make her a lot tougher and prepared for the life she is going to have as Eric’s bonded. I hope the fight with Russell will start to turn the story line focus back to the heart of the series.

6. Rebecca

June 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I too am loving the dynamic between Eric and Bill. They are so good together. I actually like them better without the Sookie factor.

My feeling is that the Authority wants to keep the vast majority of vampires in line, while they, live out their vampire God fantasy. If they let their true agenda be known, well, then the humans would destroy them. Not good.

Absolutely loved the Pam and Eric flashback. I loved that Tux (is that what it’s called) on Eric. He looked magnificent.

I hope the writer’s stick to the main plots that we all care about, and not get too involved in the other sideshow story lines.

Thanks for the recap.

• Madeleine

June 20, 2012 at 12:17 am

There’s one thing I really don’t get : why on earth is Eric suddenly so companionable towards Bill? It’s not like he owees him or needs him or whatever. He could’ve left Bill behind, even sell him out and yet he didn’t. I find that to be odd, I’m curios what his motives are.

June 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

It’s not “sudden”. When Sookie came back from Faerieland at the beginning of season 4, it was obvious that Eric and Bill had found a way to work together in the intervening year. They were also doing pretty well working together during season 4 when Eric wasn’t under Marnie’s spell. Eric respects that Bill is (was?) King and behaved accordingly. Not always cheerfully, but then who would expect that? 😉

• Madeleine

June 20, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Curious, I had the strong impression Eric was quite pissed that he had to show Bill respect and when he did it came across as sarcasm.
          Not to forget that Bill was eager to get Eric sentenced to death, it seemed quite personal to me when he conferred with Nan.
          Anyway, now that Bill’s no longer King why show him respect?

June 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

I did not see anger from Eric at all. I saw him smirk and then go right into sarcasm, but no anger at all. I think we all know what angry Eric looks like.

“Anyway, now that Bill’s no longer King why show him respect?”
            At this point he is not showing respect but a united front because he and Bill have gotten themselves into a mess together and now need to get out of it together if they have any hopes of going up against Russell. Or any hopes of surviving, period. Also, did you not see the part where Bill offered up himself to the Authority if they would let Eric go? Did you miss the part last season when Bill told Sookie he would not come between them if Eric was who she wanted? I think by now Eric recognizes a comrade in Bill and he needs that right now.

7. LottieD

June 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Really enjoyed your recap and it’s been great fun checking out your back pages!

I Loved seeing more of Pam’s background. The Jessica & Steve N. scene was hysterical! He’s gonna be a fun vamp. The Authority scenes were ok, but a little slow moving, and the w-wolves still need some work to keep me interested at all, …but I did love the little pup scene. Will be great to see how Luna deals with that cute little ball of fur! So, was the whole “ritual” thing with Martha in some way responsible for little Emma’s first transformation into a wolf pup? Maybe by ritualizing the death of her son that way, she somehow opened the door for the next generation? Is that why Martha came to Luna’s house, but wasn’t given a chance to explain?

June 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

Remember that Emma is the child of a were and a shifter. This may effect how soon she transformed.

8. Nathan

June 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Well, I like this season’s Arlene alot more. She seems a stronger, less comedy relief character. I think Tampire will finally make Tara interesting again. I love Rutina and they haven’t given her much since Lettie May and Eggs.

One pet peeve: rule one is establish the rules of the TB universe and stick with them. Season one/two Eric was powerful and frightening. 1000 years of cunning and cleverness. When he was on screen I knew something surprising was going to happen last few seasons he seems really no more powerful or smarter than Bill. He’s a freaking 1000 year old Viking God, yet ge gets captured easily by (I’m assuming) much younger camps with guns? The guy can fly for cripes sake!

June 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

I think Eric picks his battles. He took out Nan’s gay stormtroopers with ease, but faced with a phalanx of Authority guards and weighted down by a silver net burning his skin? That’s not the best time to try escaping.

June 20, 2012 at 10:37 am

Eric is 1000 years old but he’s dealing with vampires that are much, much older than he is. They are more cunning than Eric and have been able to catch him off guard. And they are following pretty close to the books with his character. He lost all of his influence when older and stronger vampires came to town.

9. B. Williams

June 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm

the man in the framed photo is christopher meloni with facial hair (from before he was turned??) but either way he seems to be the boss and that just makes sense for his picture to be in the lobby. Loving the season so far and its expected that russell remain hidden for now. he just got out like 2 nights ago jeez give a king a break 🙂

10. Michele W.

June 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Liked the recap. I think season 5 is off to a great start. I’m liking that some of the supportive characters are being allowed to have their roles expanded upon. I love the Steve Newlin / Jessica interactions. Sookie took a bit of a backseat in this episode, which although I love seeing her, sometimes all that lovers’ angst and ‘damsel in distress’ stuff gets a little tiring. The Terry /Arlene situation is getting interesting, and I’m glad that Sheriff Andy is finally finding some happiness of his own. Bill and Eric’s ‘bromance’ is fun to watch, but I think that they’re using this opportunity of solidarity to their advantage right now. I’m pretty sure it’s not going to last. And poor Tara – one of my favorite characters – I see her come on screen, and just wait for the next wise-ass remark to come out of her mouth. It’ll be good to see how she and the other characters react to her new status as vampire. And Russell Edgington – his unique blend of funny/crazy/evil has been missed. That final scene from a previous season’s show where he crashed the tv station, yanked the heart out of the newscaster, made his speech, and turned to the camera and said in deadpan tone (pardon the pun) “And now, Tiffany, with the weather” all happened so fast, I was so surprised – I laughed right out loud in amusement and horror. Keep an eye out for Russell – he’ll be out for revenge, and you know Sookie, Bill and Eric will be in direct line of fire.
    It’s great seeing Christopher Meloni’s return to HBO. I loved him as a cop for all those years on SVU, and he played a great bad guy / and not-so bad guy inmate on ‘OZ’. He should be a great addition as the HVIC (head vamp in charge)! Just one more thing – who took Jesus’s body? He told Lafayette that ‘nothing is ‘permanent’. Guess we’ll just have to hang in there and see…

• robyn

June 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I believe Laffy mom broke out of the nursing home and took cleaned up the body but i guess we will have to see.

• Mandy B

June 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

That’s a good guess. I hadn’t thought of her.

• vikingrl

June 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m wondering if Jesus’ Uncle comes up from Mexico and works some magic with him that maybe brings him back. Remember in some of the spoiler scenes we see Jesus’ demon. So if its not Jesus, who would it be? Lala? I know Marnie took the blood, (and the power?) last season…
        Guess we’ll have to wait to find out…

• Mandy B

June 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I’m pretty sure the demon is in Lafayette now since Marnie was in his body when she took Jesus’ powers. Jesus apologized to Lafayette. I think that was why.

June 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Nice viewpoints there Michele! That’s pretty much what I’m hearing about this season so far too.

11. robyn

June 21, 2012 at 8:06 am

I rewatched the episode last night and I know Im pretty sure is the one that freed Russell and she is part of the sanguista movement…what do u guys think

12. DebG.

June 25, 2012 at 5:29 am

Who do you think is the one that freed Russell?

13. Sammy

June 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m wondering if Emma is a shifter, and happened to shift into a wolf at the time? Great cliff hanger, and they haven’t really answered this yet