Recap 5.3 True Blood “Whatever I Am, You Made Me”

“Just imagine it’s a training bra.”

Yummy. More flashbacks.

So far this season, my favorite scenes have all been Pam in 1905. And this episode’s installment was the best so far. We not only got Bill and Lorena being very naughty with one of Pam’s girls, we also saw Eric making love with the human Pam, and the reveal that she longs to be a vampire herself because she hates her life and doesn’t want to die alone of syphilis. Slashing her wrists and arms in order to get Eric to turn her was actually quite touching.

(What fun that we also got to see Eric and Bill meeting, and clashing, for the first time. Was their relationship always combative? Eric was a much nicer and more human-friendly vamp than Bill back in the day. Bill has no excuse, other than the influence of the evil Lorena; he wasn’t a baby vamp at the time, after all.)

Of course, we’re getting these flashbacks to Pam’s beginnings because we’re now seeing Tara as a confused and violent baby vampire. (I hope we’re going to get to see Pam flashbacks as a baby vampire, too.) The opening scene with Tara experiencing her new and exciting vampire senses was, again, right out of Anne Rice; Dan even started quoting Interview with the Vampire while we were watching it. Interesting that Tara is suicidal as a vampire, while Pam was suicidal as a human, although I’m betting the tanning bed at Curl Up & Fry was more of a cry for help. After all, if a vampire is seriously suicidal, all they have to do is wait for the sun to come up, like Godric did.

Debbie Pelt’s parents have shown up and the search for Debbie is on. I was surprised and perturbed that Sookie told Alcide exactly what happened. Alcide has been somewhat blind to reality where Debbie is concerned, so what if his love for his ex kicks in and makes him do something stupid? (It was self-defense, for the most part. Sookie really should have called the cops, one of which is her brother.) At least Sookie and Lafayette are still supporting each other, although Lala is having trouble with the Debbie Pelt deception and the fact that his cousin is sleeping in the walk-in at Merlotte’s. (How were they feeding their customers without access to the walk-in?)

I was pretty unhappy to see Jesus’s demon face show up in Lafayette’s mirror image. This can’t be good. And we still don’t know where Jesus’s body is.

I liked the Guardian, Roman, a little better this time than last. And Salome is a piece of work, isn’t she? She seduced Bill and Eric and was in bed with Roman at the end of the episode. Roman was definitely walking the talk about humans and mainstreaming and Salome appears to be his secret weapon, but she has some Sanguinista leanings, doesn’t she? And what fun that she’s *the* Salome, of John the Baptist fame. Although the way she told it made it sound like she was just an abused teenager.

Finally, after running into a former teacher who was his first lover, Jason is starting to see his bed-hopping behavior as it really is — an unsuccessful attempt to fill the empty emotional holes he has inside him. A hot affair with Jessica just isn’t enough for him any more, and you know what? I like him for it. Ryan Kwanten has done such a good job with his character that it’s working for me. And I absolutely despised Jason in season one. Bravo, Ryan Kwanten.

Way too many plot lines, recapped:

— So Steve Newlin is the new Nan Flanagan. Perfect for his character. I liked Nan, but I love Steve.

— Tina Majorino from Veronica Mars works for Authority and fit Eric and Bill with their very own extremely fatal i-Stakes. Again, hilarious.

— Nora confessed to being a Sanguinista and is slated for execution. Did she do it to protect Eric?

— Terry is leaving with his war buddy Patrick and he’s not saying why. And I still don’t care.

— Andy managed to take a nude picture with a nasty caption pretty much in stride. After being such a mess for so long, he does seem to be more on top of things this season, at least so far. And he appears to be happy with Holly in spite of her horrible sons.

— Who was the male fairy who was picking up a dress for his sister at “Tracy’s Togs”? I’m betting it’s a book character named Claude.

— Wow, that’s a new look for Hoyt. The eyeliner, the desperation; he wants to be eaten. I bet Pam was thinking about her dead working girls as she was looking at Hoyt.

— Not so much as a glimpse of Russell Edgington this week. He’s probably still bingeing his way through innocent bystanders.

Other bits and pieces:

— Pam called Sookie “Tinker Bell” right before she whacked her and Sookie fairy-zapped her back. That was fun.

— Counselor Rosalyn said her maker was a pioneer and a true mainstreamer, but didn’t mention his name. Are we going to meet him?

— Miss Steeler named her cat “Prince Charming.” That’s sort of sad.

— Pam is always gorgeous (except when she was a zombie) and this week, in flashbacks *and* the present, she was even more gorgeous. Just saying.

— In this week’s hair report, Jessica, honey, the braid thing doesn’t work. Stop screwing up that glorious red hair.

Quotes:

Roman: “I have dedicated my guardianship to the fight for coexistence, and I will not see it go swirling down the shitter because of one ancient pissed off psychopath.”

Sookie: “Eric and I… and Bill … are over.”
Funny how she mentioned both of them together. Maybe there really is a menage coming along at some point.

Pam: “Go back to dry humping each other and buying my overpriced drinks or get the fuck out!”

Steve: “Excuse me, sir, but says who? Elvis was spotted buying turkey jerky at a Seven Eleven in Yakima last Thursday, but that doesn’t mean he’s still alive.”
That had to be a little tribute to Bubba, a character in the books.

Bill: “How do you trigger these devices?”
Tina Majorino: “There’s an app for that.”

Tina Majorino: “You guys are too cute to be goo.”
I’ll second that.

Salome: “Don’t believe everything you read. The human Bible, it’s little better than Us Weekly.”

Salome: “I was just a girl with a severely fucked up family.”
Bill: “So you didn’t ask for a man’s head on a silver platter?”
Salome: “Politics.”

Three out of four San Francisco flashbacks,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Jill

June 25, 2012 at 6:00 pm

For any Mad Men fans out there (my other favorite Sunday night show), Jason’s teacher is the first Mrs. Draper, Anna.

2. Kim O

June 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I think that “Prince Charming” used to be a man. Following the books. I think it’s no coincidence his former teacher is in town. She’s more than she lets on to be.

Liked the Elvis Bubba reference as well.

LOVED Eric showing Bill his place and ordering Lorena around too.

• Jay

June 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Jason’s teacher was shown to provide some more background in what can happen when someone suffers a bit of sexual abuse when they are under aged.

That brings the running total to three people who have suffered sexual abuse of some type on the show if I recall correctly.

Sookie, Jason and Tara.

• Madeleine

June 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Should we count Salome as well? If it’s true what she told Bill and her mother handed her over…..

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Jason suffered it repeatedly- once with the teacher taking advantage of him, and then with Crystal and the were-panther women.

• k. wilson

June 25, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I was totally thinking the same thing about the cat.

• Madeleine

June 26, 2012 at 12:09 am

I found the name to be quite odd (for a cat) but now you got me thinking …. Didn’t Alan Ball say in an interview “we haven’t seen the last of witches”? Could this be another side-story turning into something?

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Curious if the teacher’s “ex-husband’s” name is Bob

June 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

I had the same thought, Kim (see this week’s podcast). It felt like they were making a point to show us the cat, even beyond the werepanther/Hotshot reference.

• robyn

June 26, 2012 at 11:44 am

I agree they definitly paid alot of attention to that cat and Im sure there is a reason. At first, I assumed the cat was detecting some were-pantherness from Jason…but after reading everyones comments the teacher and the cat could also be a revised version of Amelia and Bob

3. Thea

June 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Been reading various and sundry things all over the internet and seeing a lot os people complaining about this episode being slow.

I am not complaining, I’m thanking. I need a more restful pace after the the last two whirlwind episodes.

Still not bored but at least had a chance to digest the scenes.

What is up with Lorena and Eric? I know she is much younger and therefore she would pay deference to him, but I can’t help thinking there is more to her kowtowing to Eric that simple courtesy.

Loving Jason. I knew the boy couldn’t be that stupid forever.

Loving the whole Marshal Dillon/Miss Kitty thing. Andy and Holly, all the best.

Sookie is annoying. I’m worried about Tara and Lala.

Looking forward to next week as always 🙂

4. J

June 25, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I sure hope Pam and Eric can patch things up!! It would be heartbreaking if he completely shunned her.

5. Lola

June 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

A great episode! I felt emotionally invested in every scene

• Jay

June 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Raelle Tucker always writes great episodes.

6. Elisha_Q

June 26, 2012 at 3:52 am

The dresses in Tracy’s Togs were horrible, kind of trashy. Guess that’s what you get when you ask Ginger for fashion advice.

I liked that Jessica wanted to help Jason and just listen to him as a friend, and I hope he changes for the better and not get depressed because of that thing with his ex teacher.

Pam’s flashback was interesting but I didn’t expect her to be that desperate that she would stab herself. Oh, and Eric and Bill knowing each other for so long was a surprice.

I wonder if Salome “recruited” Steve Newlin.

• J

June 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

I was expecting Pam to be the same in the flashbacks as she is as a vampire: kind of cold, and sarcastic, but she was actually very sweet in the flashbacks. She def. changed a lot.

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Was the store really called “Tracy’s Togs”? If so, that’s def. a throwback to the books where Tara owns a store called “Tara’s Togs”

7. Sookieeleana

June 26, 2012 at 11:39 am

Best episode of the season so far.
    The Eric / Pam back-story was everything I hoped it would be and a little bit more 🙂

• esw45

June 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, Sookieleana the Eric and Pam flashback was cool and showed Eric as a caring vampire with dignity….that Eric I like…..now if they can get him and sookie back together for season 6…..

• Sookieeleana

June 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I’m just not sure anymore if the show will go that way and have Eric and Sookie as a couple. We can but hope and cross our fingers.. Meanwhile I just hope that Eric and Pam make up next week when he visits Fangtasia and he doesn’t release her.

• robyn

June 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I have an interesting theory about that…when pam tells eric to say the words :As your maker I release you” I think she may accidently release Tara….just a theory not really sure what will happen

• esw45

June 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I think Eric and Pam will make up next week and Pam will do right by Tara starting next week…..my expectations for Eric and Sookie are that she gets with real Eric at least one more time…..i would like to see that ….them being a couple like you I am not sure about that ever happening on True Blood, sadly.

8. Joy

June 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Raelle Tucker is the best writer they have. I always enjoy her episodes!!!!

9. tina

June 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I really doubt Eric and sookie Will be a couple, am guessing buddies. Sookie doesn’t need a boyfriend, she needs a life. Really enjoying Pam ( hope her and tara get a relationship like pam and Eric, before last season incident)

• Madeleine

June 27, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hmm, I don’t think Sookie’s the kind of girl for such an arrangement. But I agree, at this point I don’t see how they could go back to being a couple. So far Sookie’s relationships ended kind of messy and caused a lot of heartache, she’ll need some time to work it all out. And I can’t see a guy like Eric crawling back, he’s too proud for that.

• esw45

June 27, 2012 at 11:23 am

Eric won’t crawl back she will have to come to him it anything happens again between them.

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

At least you’d hope so. Eric has been somewhat out of character for me for most of this season.

10. Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

What is bothering me about this episode is the Bill / Lorena flashback. Remember back in Season 2 when Eric and Lorena met at Fangtasia (Eric had arranged for Lorena to go to Bill’s hotel room in Dallas)? Am I wrong – or was this their first time meeting? If so, then this Eric / Bill / Lorena scene from the 1900’s was a total afterthought.

• Madeleine

June 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

It seems I’ve missed that meeting at Fangtasia, wich episode was that?
      First time I recall seeing Lorena was at the end of episode 4, walking the hallway.

• Mandy B

June 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm

@Medeleine – Sorry, it may not have been Fangtasia – it may have been a bar in Dallas. I can’t remember for sure. But it was Season 2, Episode 6.

• Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm

If you refer to the scene starting with Eric draining that donor who calls him “baby” (and I guess you do) I think that was the bar on the ground level of Hotel Carmilla. To me it seemed Eric and Lorena knew each other (in fact I was wondering from where), since Eric invited her and knew her name. What I didn’t get was how Bill could’ve missed Lorena walking by in front of his door, maybe he was just too distracted 😉

• Mandy B

July 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Yep, that’s the scene I’m referring to. I’ll have to take a look back at that scene. I really thought that was their first meeting.

11. Liz

June 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hey Mandy B, is there anything you did like about the episode?

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hey Liz. Oh yeah, definitely. The episodes this season are just a little disjointed for me (too many story lines). I am very anxious to see what Alcide does now that Sookie confessed about Debbie Pelt. I am enjoying the Eric / Pam flashbacks as well, and am getting into Tara’s storyline a little bit more. I can hardly wait for Russel to re-emerge.

June 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, I really think this is going to be the season that True Blood fans will fall in love with again. I get what you’re saying about the disjointed feel, but I think that each episode has begun to flow more smoothly and I expect that to continue as the various storylines fall out.

• Mandy B

June 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I agree. I think Russel will tie a lot of story-lines together for the main characters too – Eric / Bill / the Authority / Pam / Sookie. I think the back-story with Jason is interesting too, but hopefully will take the back burner for awhile. I am not at all into the Terry / Arlene story-line.

12. Sammy

June 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Loved Arlene’s blinged-out fanny pack.
    Wondering if anyone in Fangtasia caught Sookie’s lightning fingers on tape? that could cause some problems…
    The Authority stuff is interesting, but a bit overwhelming. I’m gonna need Cliff notes.

Really happy with this season so far…looking forward to Russell coming back!

• J

June 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I was wondering that too. Sookie caused quite a scene with her lightening fingers…

• Madeleine

June 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm

On tape? Didn’t Jessica mention to Bill phones or cameras are no longer allowed inside and have to be handed over at the entrance? You know, when she admits feeding of another guy and seeks for his advice.

• J

June 28, 2012 at 12:48 am

True. I’m just thinking some curious vampire might want to capture her or something after seeing that lol I dunno that could be way far fetched, but anyway she’s definitely not hiding her powers 🙂

• Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 1:21 am

“I’m just thinking some curious vampire might want to capture her or something after seeing that”

Another one? LOL
          Now that you mention it, there are quite a few people meanwhile who witnessed Sookie’s ability…..

• J

June 28, 2012 at 3:50 am

Lol 🙂

Gosh, now looking back, there were quite a few scenes in which Sookie revealed her telepathy powers to a wide variety of people left and right. I dunno, I mean obviously sometimes she couldn’t help it, and it would be hard, but I feel like she was a tad careless. I’d wanna try to keep that a secret from as many people as possible and use it as an advantage in as discreet a manner as possible. The less people know about it the better chance she has of creeping into their thoughts and catching them off guard. And now with the lightening fingers…But again if I had kick-butt powers like that, I’d wanna show them off and be like hey don’t mess with me. Lol 🙂

13. Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 4:12 am

“but I feel like she was a tad careless. I’d wanna try to keep that a secret from as many people as possible”

That’s exactly what I thought when Sookie admitted her telepathic abilities in front of Isabel and Stan, and that was way back!
    I’m also curious why Holly never asked her about it, even if she had been glamoured after Bill killed Marnie, she witnessed Sookie zapping Lafayette (possessed by Marnie) on Bill’s front lawn and nobody payed any attention to it.
    And now that I write this : why didn’t she just zap Debbie?

• robyn

June 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

When did she zapp lala…i dont remember that

• Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

In the last episode of season 4. Right after Marnie lights up the stake Sookie zaps him (Tara tries to stop her pointing out she might hurt Lafayette’s body) , Holly’s just finished pouring the salt on the ground and then Holly, Tara and Sookie join hands and summon their ancestors, including Antonia and Gran

• J

June 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm

“And now that I write this : why didn’t she just zap Debbie?”

I didn’t even think about that! Yes, why didn’t she?? Surely Tara in danger would make her angry enough for her fingers to come to life…

June 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I think that with Debbie, Sookie had just had enough of her. This was not the first time she had threatened Sookie, and it’s not the first time those two fought each other. I think Sookie wanted to kill Debbie, not just stop her.

14. Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

“I think that with Debbie, Sookie had just had enough of her.”

Entirely possible, I just kind of see that reaction being more a subconscious act, almost like a reflex, so it would’ve been a nice defence the second Debbie pointed the gun at her (but then of course the story line would be a complete different one). It happened quite a few times, with Mary-Ann, when Cooter grabbed her, at the Dorchester and also at Moongoddess. It’s only lately that Sookie seems able to use it at will.
    Perhaps it all just went down too fast and Sookie was too confused, didn’t even have time to summon the amount of whatever emotion triggers it.

• Mandy B

June 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

All good points. I think I would have found it more believable if Sookie had at least made some attempt to zap Debbie – even if it was too late. Also, I really expected Alcide to be more upset when Sookie told him what happened. Maybe he will be once it sinks in.

June 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I think Alcide was very visibly upset with Sookie. I mean, I think telling her, “Don’t say another word!” and then walking away from her didn’t show me a very calm Alcide.

• Madeleine

June 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The way Alcide clenched his fists clearly stated how hard at was for him to keep it together, and who can blame him? I’m curious what Debbie’s parents will do….

• J

June 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I think Alcide was inwardly totally conflicted for several reasons:

1) I think that no matter how much Debbie had hurt him and how mad he was at her, he’s upset that the last time he saw her he shunned her: they parted forever on bad terms and he can’t get that moment back, he can’t get a d0-over. 2) I think he’s also plain sad that someone who was at one point his true love is now gone forever. 3) I also believe he feels guilty for not being more upset because I think that secretly, part of him is relieved that she is gone and that she can no longer torment him, betray him, and play with his emotions.

15. Madeleine

June 29, 2012 at 12:39 am

@ J : all very plausible. Part of Alcide may even feel guilty that it was the abjuration that drove Debbie mad and pushed her over the edge. Sookie’s intention to conceal the whole matter must hurt as well, she had no reason to distrust him.

• J

June 29, 2012 at 1:19 am

“Sookie’s intention to conceal the whole matter must hurt as well, she had no reason to distrust him.”

Yes, especially since he’s had her back from the first day they met. I dunno, maybe she thought that if he knew she would lose him and she really needs him right now….

• Madeleine

June 29, 2012 at 2:37 am

“especially since he’s had her back from the first day they met”

When you think about it : that attitude gets everybody into trouble, all the time, if Sookie even realizes it?

• Elisha_Q

June 29, 2012 at 9:24 am

I think that she would have told him in the first episode while it was still fresh and she hadn’t had time to think about it, but then she thought about it and got scared by his reaction. Debbie was looking for it, but even so as you pointed out he still has feeling for her. Sookie is real short on friends right now.