Recap 5.4 True Blood “We’ll Meet Again”

Pam: “I made her while you were gone. Congratulations, you’re a grandfather.”

Surprise. I’m finally on board with Tara as a vampire. Maybe I’d just had enough of the old Tara; making her a vampire might be the re-set the character needed. I loved the way she finally said she’d had enough of dying for Sookie.

True Blood episode 504 We'll Meet Again - Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman

Of course, the best part of her revamping was tying her to Pam, a character that I love very, very much. In fact, the real strength in the series these days are the vampire stories and relationships. The best scenes in this episode by far were Pam swearing she was loyal to Eric, and Eric releasing Pam from her fealty to him. Pam is Eric’s only vampire child, and he loves her. He let her go to protect her, and she allowed it out of respect and love for him. That second, quiet scene in the basement at Fangtasia actually brought tears to my eyes.

The Bill/Jessica relationship is also just lovely, and I thought it was sweet that their scenes reflected Eric/Pam to some extent. Bill didn’t release Jessica or say goodbye, but he praised her, treated her like an adult, and allowed her to make her own choices. Jessica is a good vampire; she’s even being a good friend to Jason. Bill raised her well.

There were some good character moments for Sookie, too. I enjoyed seeing her melt down and get stinking drunk; it’s not surprising that she’s finally had enough death and mayhem and couldn’t bounce back from this one. I didn’t hate seeing her smooch with Alcide, either, which surprised me. Maybe it was because Alcide made points with me by managing to deflect the Pelts without betraying Sookie. And maybe it’s because I’m enjoying this Bill/Eric bromance. They’re bonding so beautifully over shared deadly danger from Authority and shared rejection by Sookie, and I’m loving it.

The other interesting part of the episode (for me, anyway) was the interdimensional fairy strip club. What the frilly heck is going on there? I thought at first that they’d be distributing light fruit Jason shouldn’t eat and that Jason and Andy could be gone for a year, but the Judge said he went to the club every weekend, so that’s out. Morella, the fairy that seduced Andy, was there. Cousin Hadley was there. Lots of very strange dancers were there. I’ll admit that I was intrigued; I have no idea where they’re going with this one. Especially with that parting shot that vampires killed Sookie and Jason’s parents. Gee, do you think it’ll be someone we know?

(If Hadley and her son Hunter are living there, are there apartments? How much for a two bedroom in a fairy dimension?)

Meanwhile back at Authority headquarters, Nora is now praying? I’m still confused about what’s going on with Nora and where her allegiances lie. Was she guessing about another chancellor being a traitor? The wild-eyed Roman staking the kid chancellor was actually fun. So much for the kid. I don’t think I even got his name.

Salome said that she and Nora had been friends for a long, long time. Somehow, I don’t think Nora can trust Salome. You know, I bet Salome is the big traitor, the secret leader of the sanguinistas, the one who let Russell out. It fits somehow.

Way too many plot lines, recapped:

— Lafayette’s inner monster just tried again to deep six Sookie. So much for Sookie’s yellow banana car.

— What happened to Sam’s two shifter friends, “Barack and Hillary”? Who shot them? Angry werewolves?

— Jessica glamored Andy to forget the Pelt case. Now that Alcide has shifted the blame to the late, unlamented Marcus, I wonder if the Pelts are gone for good? (I doubt it, somehow.)

— Bill thinks that there might be a bug in his office, and that’s how someone (at Authority? Salome, maybe?) knew about Russell. Makes sense.

— Terry and his buddy are in South Dakota looking for their scary third buddy, and they found him. And we got flashbacks to Iraq. Is it wrong of me to prefer 1905 San Francisco?

— The last shot was Andy and Jason getting fairy zapped. Are they dead? I doubt it, somehow.

Other bits and pieces:

— They seem to be retconning exactly how dead Tara was in the season finale. As far as I’m concerned, if her brains were on the floor, she was dead dead deader than dead.

— A Judas tree stake? Really?

— Sookie drunk and singing a vampire version of the pina colada song was funny.

— While bartending at Merlotte’s, Tara invented a drink called the “orange marzipan”. Gag.

— Roman pulled off the face completely covered with blood look. Not everyone can.

— I love Pam’s clothes. That black purple leather lacy thing was spectacular. And she sleeps in a pink track suit that goes with her pink coffin. Love it.

Quotes:

Pam: “As your maker, I command you. Do not try it again. Ever.”
Tara: “Goddammit.”
And Tara had to obey. Too funny.

Sookie: “If you do the right thing, it’ll be okay.”
Lafayette: “Oh, yeah, baby. You survive. You always do. But goddam you leave a trail of bodies behind. You know what? You the fuckin angel of death.”

Eric: (looking at his own iStake) “Well, apart from these, your escape ploy worked brilliantly.”

Sookie: “I’m turning myself in.”
Jason: “Into what?”
Hilarious.

Tara: “How many of us have nearly died just to save her sorry ass? Well, I did them all one better.”
Tara finally seemed like Tara. Only with even less of a filter than ever.

Dieter: “Wake up, sister. It’s just a book. I know the guy who wrote it, and he was high the whole time.”
He’s definitely my favorite chancellor. Okay, I’m partial to the actor because he’s been in everything, but still.

Andy: “They wouldn’t be telling me to call off the dogs unless them dogs smelled a rat.”
Jason: “What if there is no rat? What if the dogs are just tired of looking?”
Andy: “I’m the dog in this analogy. I ain’t tired of looking for a rat ’cause I know something’s fishy.”
Hilarious again. Mixed metaphors, with fish.

Lafayette: “Your car is wrapped around a pole like a giant banana split and you got no airbags. What the hell happened?”

Sookie: “The bar’s open. And it’s fruity.”

Tara: “Who’s she?”
Pam: “Nothing. And Melanie. She’s here because someone needs to feed. (to Melanie) Seriously. Three days old and she has an eating disorder. Why me.”

Congratulations to True Blood which just got renewed for a sixth season!

Three out of four pina colada songs,

Billie

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. lo

July 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Couldn’t a vampire’s child find that vampire, even buried in concrete? If yes, could a child of Russell have found him? As old as he is, surely he made more than 1 child. And could it be Salome? I’ve been suspicious of her from the beginning. She obviously has secrets. Why didn’t she release him right away? Maybe it wasn’t to her benefit before. Maybe she was initially anti-Sanguinista and she’s now pro, and she is planning a coup against Roman.

Just typing out loud. In the past, whenever I’ve tried to guess what would happen, I’ve usually been wrong–even with spoilers. lol

For what it’s worth.

• robyn

July 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Good idea if they didnt know that godric was Nora and Erics maker maybe they dont kno that Salome was made by russell

• Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 2:58 am

If Russell had another child, why did it take a year for him to summon him or her to dig him out? Unless like you said it was Salome and she was unsure what to do about it since shes in pretty tight with Roman now.

July 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

Salome does not strike me as the kind of person who does anything without a plan or purpose. That woman is not unsure about anything. If she did indeed release Russell, she did it for a definite reason.

• Madeleine

July 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

“Couldn’t a vampire’s child find that vampire, even buried in concrete?”
      Definitely, Pam was summond by Eric after Bill had seized the oppotunity (if I recall correctly).
      I think the question is over what kind of distance can this sense be helpful?
      Now, we had the idea with a second child earlier and now your post makes me wonder. Salome sure has a hidden agenda but I think she being Russell’s child is a bit too obvious.
      And then I remembered what the kid said before he was ended, he was in Scandinavia for a while to promote some laws, would the bond work over such a distance?
      One more thing I find to be peculiar is that Newlin disappeared once more, had he reason to be in Bon Temps? Right around the time Russell was freed?

• Mandy B

July 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Good point, but why did it take so long to get him out?

• Madeleine

July 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm

If I recall correctly Pam was summond by Eric when he was burried by Bill. Maybe this connection doesn’t work over greater distances (otherwise Eric would’ve known where Godric was, right?).
      What did the kid say before Roman ended him? Wasn’t he in Scandinavia?
      And did anybody every wonder why Newlin’s no longer in town? Had he reason to be there to begine with? Was right around the time Russell was freed, peculiar timing….

• TrueLove

July 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I think Eric didn’t know where Godric was, because Godric didn’t want or need help and didn’t call for him

• Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 3:03 am

Godric didnt want Eric around because Godric knew Eric wouldnt understand him and his change of heart concerning humans and vampires.
          In the end, Eric still didnt understand.

2. Madeleine

July 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

“He let her go to protect her”

The whole time I’ve been wondering if that’s really the reason. Have we ever seen a child punished alongside his/her maker? Have we ever heard of it? Pam is still Eric’s child, bond or not, how would a third person even know about this release? (other than being told by maker or child wich could by just a lie, you get the idea).
    And if this renounciation is so important to protect Pam why didn’t Bill release Jessica? Sure he wants her to be safe as well.

• Billie Doux

July 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I get the feeling that it was more of an emotional “you’re a maker now and I’m probably going to die and I don’t want you to die too defending me” thing. Bill probably didn’t feel the same need because he can tell Jessica to stay out of it, or just not tell her, and she’ll obey him. He’s also not as close to Jessica (two years together?) as Eric is to Pam (100 years together).

• Madeleine

July 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm

“I get the feeling that it was more of an emotional “you’re a maker now and I’m probably going to die and I don’t want you to die too defending me” thing.”

Then why didn’t Eric just say : you’re a maker now, your obligation is to take care of your child to keep our bloodline going?
        I think Pam would’ve understood, as maker he could have commanded her to do so (yeah, I still remember Pam disobeyed once, but only once, and I don’t think she would do that again), so wasn’t this a bit premature?

• Mandy B

July 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I think Eric has a better understanding of what a child will do to protect his/her maker than Bill does, just because his relationship with Godric was so close and intense. Pam and Eric’s relationship is much the same way.

• Madeleine

July 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Don’t get me wrong, but Pam is still his child, she could still decide to help Eric, just like he went looking for Godric after being released and not seeing him for seventy years.

• Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 3:06 am

Didnt Godric and Eric spend time together in WWII?
            If it wasnt a writers glitch, then for what ever reason, Eric lied about that to Lorena.

• Billie Doux

July 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Maybe deep down Eric believes he’s going to die and Bill thinks he’ll live through the situation somehow, no matter how bad it looks. I really think it was to keep Pam from fighting and dying alongside him. Hey, I don’t know. It’s hard to apply logic to emotional moments with our families.

• TBG

July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

My friend, Bill has already released Jessica. Since Season 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZ99U3Jw8A

• Madeleine

July 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

True, but Pam accepted and Jessica refused.

July 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm

“Have we ever seen a child punished alongside his/her maker? Have we ever heard of it?”
      The Magister used torture on Pam to get Eric to do his bidding. Roman could do a whole lot worse to her.

• Madeleine

July 4, 2012 at 12:07 am

But he was also trying to get information. And I don’t think he would have reacted otherwise if Eric had released Pam prior to that. How would the magister have known of a broken bond? And broken bond or not, a maker stays a maker. Besides, it’s seems the connection and affection of maker and child is not ending with releasing the child, Eric went to find Godric and hadn’t seen him in seventy years.

• Morgan

July 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Bill already released Jessica, in season 3 🙂 She stayed with him, because she didn’t want to be alone!

• Alissa

July 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I said that in Live Chat and some folks swore me down it didn’t happen. I don’t know if the releasing took since it appears they have to accept but he most certainly did say the words.

• Madeleine

July 4, 2012 at 2:29 am

Just found a statement of Alexander Woo. A child has to agree to be released, so Jessica is still bonded with Bill.

• robyn

July 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Alexander woo said that Bill and jessicas scene paralells Pam and Erics scene Bill doesnt release her but…
            I dont think he is saying Jessica isnt released I just think he is comparing the scenes but saying that Bill doesnt release Jessica in that scene however it is still similar to P & E becuase Bill is realizing Jessica is his legacy and his blood line will continue.

• Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 3:11 am

@ robyn
            I dont think Bill cares at all for bloodlines. That was only mentioned by Eric.
            Bill cares first for Jessicas safety.
            Bill thinks he did well teaching her to be more than just a vampire.
            Thats a good mainstreaming maker.

• Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 3:16 am

“Mainstreaming maker”

haha, now thats a contradiction.

• Thea

July 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think Bill isn’t planning on dying and therefore sees no need to release Jessica.

3. Tara

July 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I have a question: Is Tara Pam’s first and only “child”? I’m so confused.

1. In one of the Blue Ray DVDs, Pam mentions that a year after she was made, she turned a man named Colin, but ended up releasing him.
    2. Season 3, Eric told Pam that it was her time to be a Maker.
    3. While Sookie and Lala were burying Tara, Pam told them that she “has done this before” and it didn’t turn out well. What did that mean? Did she try to turn someone and it didn’t work?
    4. Sunday’s episode, Eric told Pam that she was a Maker NOW, which to me, means she wasn’t one ever before.

What the heck? Am I missing something? Is it inconsistency in writing? Does Eric not know about Pam’s other child? Or Eric force Pam to release Colin because she wasn’t ready to be a Maker? Are the writers planning a big reveal? Am I the only one that cares?

July 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Maybe over-thinking just a little?

• Madeleine

July 4, 2012 at 12:15 am

I’m not sure where you see the inconsistency. Where did you get Tara is Pam’s only child? Could you confuse that with Pam being Eric’s only child?
      Pam told Sookie and Lafayette she had tried before and I think that’s referring to this Colin. He might be dead, he might be released, in both ways he’s no longer her responsibility. So maybe this only child means Tara is the only one Pam has to take care of.
      The time Eric told Pam it was time for her to be a maker he planned to die alongside Russell, so I think he wanted her to go on, keep the bloodline going just as he told her in the last episode. So it would go nicely together.

• Tara

July 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

haha maybe I am over-thinking it, Liz! 🙂

Madeleine – I’m not getting that Tara is Pam’s only child, I’m asking. It just seems to me, by Eric’s choice of words that that’s the case. Oh well…guess it doesn’t matter.

4. Madeleine

July 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm

@robyn : I wasn’t referring to ‘Inside the episode’, I read that in some article (sorry, I should have mentioned that) it was a summary of a clip, apparently the question is Jessica released or not occured even prior to this season.

• robyn

July 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

Do you have the link…Ive heard a few people talk about it but just assumed the were talking about inside the episode

• Madeleine

July 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

I’ve been searching for a couple of hours now, so far I couldn’t find it again, but as soon as I do I’ll post it.

5. Carina T

July 5, 2012 at 3:14 am

This was a pretty good episode overall.
    B and E are trying to find out who dug up Russell.

Im trying to think of who the leak could be. If not Bill, Eric or Pam. could Alcide have let it slip to someone?