True Blood Radio 185: Hopeless and In the Beginning

We have a double-shot of True Blood this week as we talk about episodes 5.06 and 5.07 (last week’s podcast was devoted to Comic Con). Find out what Mel & Liz think about Roman’s death and Russell’s coup, the Terry/Patrick storyline, Sookie’s desire to be human, and much more!

Things we mentioned this week:

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes or Stitcher, or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. Jessica(dragonfly)

July 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

I have to say that ‘In the Beginning” is my favorite True Blood episode so far. I mean, Alcide sweaty & shirtless is always lovely! Not a lot of Sookie, which I thought was great. Wonderful character development with Tara, and Pam.

I’m absolutely loving the “New Authority”. Russell was superbly funny with a twist of psychotic-southern charm.

I know gore isn’t for everyone, but one of the reasons I started watching True Blood was for the gore factor, and I’m so glad the show is really bringing it this season.

I’m also interested in seeing, what looks like a possible role reversal for Bill and Eric coming up. I’m hoping to see Eric save Bill for going off the deep end.

Who do you think the de facto leader of the hate group a.k.a. “The Dragon” is? My guess would be either Bud Dearborn or Mike Spencer. They both seemed quite shady in this episode. Great show as always!!!

• Elisha_Q

July 26, 2012 at 5:59 am

You are not alone, the gore factor was my reason to start watching True Blood too ( and also why Eric is my favorite character especially in seasons 2 and 3 ).

I would rather go with Bud because he has always hated vampires, but I am not sure he knows about other supes. There was casting for Sweety – angry bitten were. It would be funny if all of those guys are angry bitten weres and that is how they find their victims.

July 26, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m pretty sure The Dragon is Bud’s new hot tubbing friend, Sweetie.

2. Helen

July 26, 2012 at 4:44 am

I think the vamp that killed Sookie’s parents could be Sophie Anne. She did send Bill to “acquire” Sookie in the beginning. That’s why I think she had Hadley as her human, to gather more info on her. I could be way off but that’s just my theory.

July 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Oooh, that could pull some threads together! Good spec, Helen!

3. Christine

July 26, 2012 at 5:42 am

Fae powers with Jason never really occurred to me at least because I understood his only real power was his charm and prowess in bed.

4. TrueLove

July 26, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hiya/. Just wanted to say I don’t think sookie transferred memories. Rather, I think she “cleared” a memory block,like she did with Doug,and Tara and Eggs (re Maenad)

5. Kiki

July 26, 2012 at 11:50 am

Did Sookie transfer the memory of what happened to her and Alcide to Alcide or did she just take away the glamor?

July 26, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hmmm…good question, Kiki. She did remove mental blocks back in season 2, so that would make sense.

6. Whitney

July 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Ok Sookie recovered Alicdes memory just like she did for his worker and also for Tara when she was under MariAnn’s spell. So ya we did know some what about this trick of hers.

7. Whitney

July 26, 2012 at 7:11 pm

My question about Don Bartollo is that i get that he could easily find Jesus and sense what happend to him. But if he can sense all of that, why didn’t he see the part where Lala was possesed by another spirit? Did he choose to ignore that part?

July 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by “possessed by another spirit”. Lala is possessed by Jesus’ “brujo” spirit, which is what Don Bartollo wanted to extract and give to his unborn son.

• Whitney

July 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Nono I’m talking about how Marnie took over him to steal Jesus’s magic. Don seems to think Lala stole it for himself.

July 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oh, gotcha. I don’t think Bartollo cares HOW Lala got the spirit, just that he’s the one who has it now.

• Whitney

July 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Very true.. I had that thought too. Maybe that truely is the only way to get the magic back.. And he just decided to come at him like a physchopath lol

8. D

July 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hey i just watched/listened to your newest podcast and i thought i’d tell you guys I’m a fan and really enjoy the play by play you guys deliver. Sometimes I even talk out loud to you when you can’t remember something forsure and I happen to. Wiling you to hear me…:) Anyways i just thought you might like to know that your time is appreciated. I love your show and your commentary. Makes me wish I had someone to talk about it with like that.

July 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thanks D! We’re glad you are enjoying our podcasts, and we love hearing that you talk back to us. Your last sentence is the very reason that Mel and I started True-Blood.net. I hope to see you commenting more about the show. We’d love to hear your thoughts!

9. Emma

August 2, 2012 at 2:49 am

Personally I thought these were really good episodes. And in case anyone was wondering, the woman who plays “Lilith” is Jessica Clark. She is a British actress and model, and is also openly gay. Which I think is awesome, and I’m not surprised; because I was talking with a friend and we were kind of laughing about how it makes a lot of sense that Alan would have a gay woman play the progenitor of his vampires!
    To be honest, I have actually not seen episode 8: Somebody that I used to know, yet, but from watching episode 7, and with the fairies talking about how Sookie is “half-fae” I didn’t actually see it as them taking it literally. When they said “Sookie you’re only half-fae”, I just thought that was another way of saying partial fairy. (Not according to the books, but for the show) Sookie’s grandfather, Earl, is half-fae which was why he was in fairy-world at the beginning of season 4. Her father, Corbett, is also part fairy, but the fairy gene in him did not “activate” which is why he had no powers. Corbett passed along the gene to Sookie and Jason, but only Sookie got the “activating gene”. Whereas Jason is also carrying the gene but it’s not dominate in him. If Jason were to ever have children, they might actually get the powers like Sookie. (kind of like Hadley and her son) That kind of stuff also happens in real life. It doesn’t mean you’re not related to someone. Genetics sometimes are just funny that way. So I don’t think Jason was adopted, or him and Sookie are “half-siblings”. They have the same family, the gene just didn’t take affect inside either Jason or their father Corbett. Anyway that’s just my 2 cents. Mind you, as I said earlier I haven’t been able to see ep. 8 yet, so correct me if they have actually discussed this issue further.