True Blood Radio 186: Somebody That I Used To Know

Mysterious vampires, hot werewolf sex, and ghostly ultimatums, oh my! This week on True Blood Radio, we’re talking about episode 5.08, “Somebody That I Used to Know”, directed by Stephen Moyer. Oh, and we have a mini-rant regarding Alcide. You knew it was coming.

Things we mentioned this week:

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes or Stitcher, or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. Melissa

August 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I liked the point about Alcide! I dont have a proble with hi being with Rikki, But
    I also do not think Sookie was acting slutty!
    I going to hold on to what Mel said about Bill having a plan, because I’m having a hard time seeing it. Im really thinking he is starting to believe in what the “new” authority is preaching. I think his pain over Sookie has just become too much and he is in some way trying to close the door on his humanity (and his feelings for her) by entertaining this change in beliefs.
    I also love Tara and Pam’s outfits! They are like matching dress-up, goth, vamp barbies!
    Cant believe anybody would comment about Rutinas body! How damn rude! I have always admired her total body muscle tone!

2. Jen

August 1, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I think what Eric said in the promo for ep. 9 is not “what about Sookie”, but “I want Sookie” . I wanna say that’s what I heard. Like “I’ll play ball with the Sangunistas if I get Sookie”. Salome in the promo claimed Bill as her “other” and they would” birth a new world together”. So it kinda seems that Eric is trying to get out of the way somewhat, for a price. And Caude said that faye can’t psychically connect with vamps. I think it’s Dermot, her uncle from the books. I think that would tie in with the Claudine recognition and the “elder Fairy ” reference in the casting calls (Nyall?) Sad to see Alcide get his butt handed to him. There’s some payback coming there! Wonder where Emma is? That scene with Jessica brought me back to the moment she was thrown on the ground in front of Bill the night he made her. It was “that Jessica” brought right back to us that made it so powerful. She’s kinda turned a little bad ass, and that flip right back to that teenage girl begging for her life and swearing this was the first time she’d snuck out came flooding back. And even though in real life that’s jacked up-Pam serving up Tara’s highschool tormentor is so sweet. It’s the Pam way of saying “I Love You”. Otherwise you’d never know- her “mad face” and “happy face” are the same! 😉

3. Melissa

August 2, 2012 at 12:25 am

Does anybody think the guy that pulled the gun on Hoyt (dragon) could be bud dearborn and the woman he was with in the episode?

August 2, 2012 at 12:43 am

Yeah, that’s who we were referencing as Bud’s “hot tub buddy”, Sweetie.

• Melissa

August 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Oh I didn’t hear that on the show or on the podcast, lol! Remember in the books the cook fro Merlottes shooting shifters was Sweetie des arts or something like that?

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Yep, that’s her! We haven’t been formally introduced yet, but I’m certain she’s the Dragon.

4. kesha

August 2, 2012 at 2:00 am

I think Bill figure it time to move I hate to said this but the husband and wife playing lovers on screen was damn good alot of chemistry between them. Even if she and Eric get together she always love Bill remember she was a virgin when met Bill

• debi

August 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I hate to go all bookie on ya’ll but Sookie had a strained relationship with Bill and Eric books 5 & 6. really enjoy the scenes with the 3 of them. Bill is so sincere and Eric/Sookie exchange looks after Eric’s snarky comments. Alcide is off the market unless Rikki dies (remember Alcide’s women are pretty unlucky in the books).

Spoilers show Bill/Sookie in love scene with a bite (dream?)…read a spoiler where TB cast body double for Anna and her baby bump. So B/S fans will get a thrill.

Season has lots of character evolution. Tara/Pam, Jason, so not sure if Bill is evolving or plotting. Eric is really evolving IMO.
      Anyone know why episode 11 name change from Song of the Dead Fairy?

August 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

They change episode titles at least 3 or 4 times each season. Often it has to do with being able to use the song from the title in the show/end credits. Sometimes after the episode is finished, they realize that another song/title is more appropriate, too.

5. trish

August 2, 2012 at 4:17 am

mmmmh…. I’m really not convinced that Bill is plating a game this time. It seems to me that he’s actually convinced to go along with the Sanguinistas.

It may seem weird but if you think about it it’s not that surprising: Bill’s main thing is his major self-loathing and his inability to accept his vampireness as anything other than bad.
    At the same time he clearly does have dark impulses at times and also, clearly does enjoy some of the perks of being a vampire…
    Yet he needs to feel “moral” and to justify his behaviour, and here comes along a belief system that frees him from all the self loathing and the longing for “humanity” and tells him that all the things he tried to suppress are actually good and even commanded by God. It must feel like a liberation.

Bill has always gone from one extreme to the other (from Lorena’s partner in crime to Sookie’s southern gentleman) so it’s fitting that he now flips from Mainstreaming to Sanguinist poster boy….

• esw45

August 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

I agree with your points Trish about Bill, he is not faking it …..he really believes in this is his calling not mainstreaming …kinda like he tried it and it didn’t work out and now he is a sanguinesta and now he will believe that Lillith is the vampire Christ calling on all vampires to feed on humans.

August 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

I guess time will tell!

• esw45

August 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Upcoming summeries for episode 5.11 and 5.12 seems to be pointing towards Bill evolving into a sanguinesta…..but unless its a red herring we will find out

• Schirka

August 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Will you be disappointed if he becomes a Sanguinista Mel? I think he will for a while but of course they have to make him good again at some point… It will be very interesting to see him as evil, i’m really looking forward to it actually! 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

No, I wouldn’t be disappointed. VERY surprised, but not disappointed. It would give Stephen something fresh to play, and the implications of him being a true Sanguinista would be far-reaching. How would Jessica react? When the Sanguinistas fall, and you know they will, would Bill have to go on the run?

• Schirka

August 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hi Trish I also agree with you, I don’t think Bill is faking it, I think that he switched sides and now he’s on the Sanguinista team. Specially after your dissection of the facts, I’m more and more convinced. Also on Alan Ball’s interview, he said about Eric, Bill and Sookie, “there is someone in the triangle that thinks the they can reach a person to avoid them to do something insane but that it isn’t the case anymore because some people change big. ”

Well this to me sounds like Bill has changed and Sookie tries to convince him to be himself again and not do something insane (like go around killing everyone) but that she doesn’t succeed because he’s changed big… Even though I agree with the girls when they did the podcast in that this wouldn’t be Bill, I have to admit that it would give the story a nice twist. It would be fun to se Bill play on the evil side for a while, even if he ends up being good again at the end.

Also about who killed the Sookie’s parents, I really don’t think it’s Bill or Russell or any of the vampires that we know, I don’t even think it’s vampire… I think it is one of the mean fae which would explain why she could see through his eyes and communicate with him and why the other faery knew him… but on the other hand it wouldn’t make sense that he was smelling her blood… We’ll see…

6. GeeGee

August 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I really enjoyed this episode, Stephen Moyer did a great job directing and Sam T as Luna was hilarious (especially when he sashayed down the hospital hall). Also, I did call Alcide a slut while watching the episode with my BF and friends, we all started laughing.

BTW: Is it me or has anyone else noticed the theme of the color purple in each episode? In every episode, someone is wearing purple (Lala’s scarf and shirt, Jessica’s shoes, Tara’s bustier, Sam’s plaid shirt, and so forth), I was just wondering if there was a reason behind that.

7. Goldie Jean

August 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I have hopes that Eric will puzzle it all out and Sookie won’t get victimized again. The sex scene in the preview between Bill and Sookie has that low-light dreamy quality about it.

8. Steph

August 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I think I know who pulled the gun on Hoyt! I just re-watched the episode and the previews for the next episodes!!! I think it is Steve Newman! Remember, the Authority sent him to get humans to feed on. Well, Hoyt would not know he is Vamp, so if he saw the “preatcher” he would think it is a friendly face! That’s my prediction! What do ya’all think?

9. TrueLove

August 3, 2012 at 1:02 am

I loved the episode too. I think bill is genuinely conflicted and may have killed sooks parents.

One small thing that bothered me, why didn’t Bill know Jess needed help?

• Gail

August 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Good point. As her maker I would think Bill would have heard her cry for help. A maker and his offsring have a psychic connection. Could be the Lilith blood which I suspect has been laced with fairy blood, has somehow blocked this connection.

• Emma

August 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I don’t think Bill killed Sookie’s parents though. If you remember in the episode, Claudine called the vampire “Worlow”, and faeries do not associate with vampires at all. So for Claudine to actually know the “vampire’s” name (if it is a vampire) is very strange. Not only that, but Sookie’s parents died in the 1990’s? We have to presume. That was around the time that Bill was really into mainstreaming, and wanting to co-exist peacefully with humans. He wouldn’t have been a “crazy killer” at that time. And Claudine would have called him Bill not Worlow. As a matter of fact, when Bill saw Claudine in that vision of his back in season three, she would have called him that, but she didn’t. She acted like they never met, and so did he. AND, Worlow had a very demonic voice… so I really doubt it’s Bill.

10. Gail

August 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm

My guess is that the large woman who Luna “Sam” scented in the hideout room where Jessica was held is Hoyt’s mom Maxine. I think Maxine has enough hate for all Supes, especially Jessica, to launch this kind of hate/attack group. After all, Hoyt is her “baby boy” and I think she would do anything for revenge, and in hopes of having him back home with her. I think she is “Dragon”.

• Emma

August 4, 2012 at 2:45 am

Oh my god! If Maxine turns out to be “Dragon” that would be a crazy twist! Although, I wouldn’t know what to think about it…

11. Emma

August 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Also, I wanted to say that personally I think this whole Bill/Sookie and Eric/Sookie thing is kind of ridiculous. Not that you prefer one couple over the other, that’s fine. What I do find ridiculous is this idea for some people that if you like one couple then you should dislike the other person. But who says you have to? You can be a fan of Bill/Sookie and still like the character of Eric. Just like you can be a fan of Eric/Sookie and still like Bill. I’m a big fan of Bill/Sookie and I prefer them, but Eric is still one of my favorite characters. A very good friend of mine is a very big fan of Eric/Sookie but, Bill is still one of her favorite characters, she really likes him, she finds him a very complex and fascinating character. Really, no matter what, you can like specific pairings, but still love all of the characters, even as stand-alones.

Sorry, just had to say all of that, because this whole “TeamBill!” vs. “TeamEric!” is getting annoying. This is not Twilight people. And I really don’t see why some people think the “Worlow” character is Bill. How could it? When Sookie could get into his mind, and psychically connect with him. Normal vampires are dead, she can’t read their minds. Not to mention the voice of ‘Worlow’ was very deep and demonic sounding. Very creepy. And he came to her in the bathroom. What the heck by the way? That was disturbing….. Anyway, I don’t think they’ll make it Bill, since he’s one of the male leads, that would probably just upset a HUGE load of fans anyway.

So yeah, I agree that Worlow is either one of the evil fairies, or some other kind of Vampire. ….. Possibly a Vampire, that was never human? (that voice was very demonic sounding)…

Oh, one more thing I wanted to say that I don’t think has been discussed for a while. And something that I’m curious about; Andy and Terry, as far as I can tell, still don’t know they are direct descendants of Bill. Are they ever going to find out? I think that would be very interesting to see played out.