HBO Boss Says True Blood Will Keep Going For Foreseeable Future

HBO had the stage today at the Television Critics Association (TCA) summer press tour where Programming president Michael Lombardo was asked about the future of True Blood:

“The show is obviously doing well,” Lombardo says. “This coming year will be the first year [creator] Alan Ball is taking a little bit of a step back I think creatively, they’re still engaged, still excited by the storytelling, and as long as it continues to perform with the consumer, but more importantly, exciting the storytellers, I think we’re there.”

The same mentality applies to Game of Thrones which Lombardo anticipates continuing on for several more seasons. He also announced that Alan Ball’s next project, Banshee, will premiere on Cinemax in January 2013.

(Source)

1. Doris

August 2, 2012 at 5:42 am

Great News!!!!!! 🙂

2. mark hartshorn

August 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

look i am not happy that true blood has been given a sixth season it has lost it’s charm and wit the only good thing about the show is eric northman i feel the show has gone off the books.

• Victoria P

August 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

the books only from sookie pov and it would be boring. i like books to, I also like the show. If don’t like don’t watch it.

August 2, 2012 at 10:10 am

Those of us who do still enjoy watching the show are happy with this news. 🙂

• Jay

August 2, 2012 at 10:55 am

So you would find happiness in the show going off the air while there are still people who would enjoy watching it for a longer period of time?

Don’t you think that’s just a little bit selfish? If you don’t like it you don’t have to watch anymore, or you can air your opinions on why you don’t like it and maybe hope for changes. Going so far as to say the show should be off the air because you don’t like it is selfish and simply mean.

• Madeleine

August 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm

The show never stuck to the books in the first place, and that’s perfectly fine, so we can enjoy both without getting bored. And as much as I like Eric Northman : there are many great characters and actors on the show …..

3. Wendy

August 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love the books and the T.V. show. But I’m so tired of people complaining that the show is not like the books. The show is loosely based on the books! Enjoy both of them!

4. Tigerlily_swirl

August 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

1) This is good news; I cannot wait to see what the future seasons have in store for us.
    2) I recently had a discussion with a co-worker who complains about the show. She constantly complains about Trueblood (and another show that we watch) and how it does not follow the books. Normally, I would not say much but that day I could not take it anymore and had to school her. While I know everyone is entitled to his or her opinions, the complaints about the show have become a bit redundant. I told her (and a few online) if you do not like the direction of the show or that it does not follow the book, stop watching the show and go back to reading the books. This way you will be satisfied with the way things are.

I mean the show is called Trueblood and not The Southern Vampire Mysteries because it is BASED on the books and not a scene for scene reproduction of the book. Frankly, I really like the differences between the book and TV series. I believe it puts a twist on many of the characters, storylines, and they keep us guessing. I am happy they plan to continue on with the series until they end it, which I am sure won’t be due to viewers complaining it doesn’t follow the book.

5. ASfandancer

August 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

While there are many parts of the show that I find completely boring, overall I enjoy it and always look forward to Sunday night during True Blood season so am happy to hear this. As for following the books, I got over that three seasons ago and understand that TB is an entity of its own that simply uses some names and ideas from the SVM series. That being said, I would at some point in the future love to see someone else do a show more closely; not totally and does not have to necessarily be from Sookie’s POV; following the essence of the books. Contrary to what the skeptics say it would certainly not be boring because there is so much material in the books that for many is much more interesting then what TB offers. There are sometimes scenes in TB that are thrown in simply for shock value and in my opinion that tends to cheapen the show (same for Game of Thornes but not as much.) Also it is not my place to tell anyone that if they don’t like the show don’t watch it. People have the right to watch and criticize all the want.

• Rina

August 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

You don’t seriously think that someone someday is going to remake the show and will follow the books scene by scene? Do you not understand that the books basically take place all in Sookie’s head? The books are 75% Sookie’s thoughts and 25% action. And did you notice how much of the books are just menial tasks like Sookie brushing her hair, cooking, cleaning, driving around to the post office and grocery store? Plus how many scenes take place in Sookie’s house? Nothing ever happens until someone drops by Sookie’s place or attacks Merlotte’s. Do you realize how boring it would be to spend an hour each week listening to Sookie’s thoughts and watching her do laundry until someone drop by and has a long conversation in her kitchen? Plus we would see characters outside of Merlotte’s like Bill, Eric, Pam, and Alcide maybe 2-3 times a season because that’s how often they appear in a book. TB took the books and gave us an entire world not just Sookie’s head.

August 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

“People have the right to watch and criticize all the want.”

However, since we started this site to support the show, we’d rather they go someplace else and “criticize all they want”.

6. Bethany

August 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

In a perfect world this show (and the books) would go on forever and ever. Also in that perfect world (A Sfandancer) there would be a series (tv, movies, or miniseries?) that would follow the books more closely (However Alexander Skarsgard and the rest of the cast would have to never age and be open to doing them all. he he) That being said, I could see this show going for the full 13 years at least. And as long as the actors stick with the show it will continue to be the best show to be on the air in the history of television. Well, that is my opinion. (If they ever did do a series exactly like the books, that would beat TB out, but only IF they didn’t vary at all.)