True Blood Radio 187: Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Or, Making a Case for Bill)

This week on True Blood Radio we tackle the issue of Bill’s loyalty (and make a case for him to be a good guy), claim a little glory for correctly predicting the identity of the Dragon, breathe a sigh of relief that the “Smoke Monster” storyline is over, and much more!

Please note: We love to have you all engage in vivacious discussion with us and with each other in the comments below, but please keep our comment guidelines in mind. We will delete inappropriate comments.

Things we mentioned:

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes or Stitcher, or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. Team Sook

August 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Ladies, Love you both. You guys are so fun to listen to. Hahah I’ve been watching this show since the day it first came on HBO back in 08 and been a True Trubie ever since. I even got my brother and my parents into too. I’m happy to hear that it is not over, not by a long shot. I hope it last for at least three more amazing seasons or maybe two more seasons and end it with three films???? (Like Sex in the city?) Ooo, that would be sooo sweet. Hahah But anyways Bravo Mel. That is a really good theory. I hope your right. Now I feel like such a foolio cuz I voted that Bill was totally off the handle. Hahaha I guess well all have to wait and see.

August 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm

We love you too Team Sook! Love your online name, by the way.

• Melissa

August 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

When you guys were talking about axine being a talker it reminded me of something. At t1he end of season t1hree we saw1 Ma1xing bu1y1ing a g1u11n in w11hat1 w1e now1 know is t1he Stake Store :). y question is that in the begining of season 4

August 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Woah Melissa, what happened to your keyboard? LOL! I don’t have my secret decoder ring with me.

• Melissa

August 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

When you guys were talking about Maxine being a talker it reminded me of something. At the end of season three we saw Maxine buying a gun in what we now know is the Stake Store :). My question is that in the begining of season 4 Jessica and Hoyt are talking about Maxine shooting or taking a shot at Jessica but we never got to see that right? Or did I miss a scene?

• Melissa

August 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Sorry about that! I not sure what happened, the screen went out for a second then came back! I was thinking, Gee I hope that doesn’t post like that! 🙂

2. Tina

August 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wow! A great episode this week. I’m still not sure if Bill is under the influence of the “tainted” blood or if he’s working a bromance plan.
    I think my theory of Joyt being turned into the Bubba character is looking more likely. Here is how I see it working out… Jessica and Jason come up with the plan to turn Hoyt since he is dying and they feek responsibe – if it worked for Tera it would work for Hoyt. Wrong… since Jessica doesn’t know how the process works everything goes wrong and viola… Bubba! Jason and Jessica could be on Hoyts grave in the clip. I would be sorry to see things go so horribly wrong for Hoyt … but I think he would make a great Bubba.

3. TrueLove

August 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I love this season too. REs accent when he was scoldingJD seemed European to me. About Bill I don’t see what you guys see but I hope you are right.

• Lizzy

August 10, 2012 at 12:09 am

I think Russell just dropped his ‘nice, fun guy’ persona when he reverted to his original accent. Kinda like, YOU challenged me?

• Elizabeth Hopkins

August 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I agee! The Mississippi accent from a 2000 + year old vamp?

4. Jen

August 8, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I was thinking Sookie had the shotgun to defend against Debbie’s parents (known or unknown). Like someone’s trying to break in and she’s checking it out. Would be a great cliffhanger to bridge to season 6. Maybe not, but it’s a thought. Luna was going into Steve Newlin’s dressing room in the preview. I don’t know if it’s to sneak out Emma or to skin walk so she can get on tv and ruin the Authority’s image. I hope she doesn’t have to die to get Emma back. Mel’s argument has me a believer about Eric and Bill. I didn’t lose complete faith in either character, but I wasn’t sure where they were gonna go with it. So happy to hear LaLa back! I missed him, he always makes me laugh and shake my head when he’s in “true form”. I hope to see more Godric too. So excited to see how it ends for this season, but I’m gonna be so sad when it’s done too!

• Melissa

August 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Im posting to see if my gravater works, lol.

• Melissa

August 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I know I usually ask about clothes on the show, but Liz your shirt is super cute! Where did you but it?

August 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That is actually a poncho that I threw over a tank top. I bought that poncho years ago at Fashion Bug and I’m wearing it there for the first time. I never seemed to remember to buy something to go underneath it until about a week ago. LOL! Anyway, the poncho is really a square piece of fabric with the cut out a mere slit cut diagonally, corner to corner. Cool huh?

• Melissa

August 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I guess today is my off topic question day! During the podcast You (Mel and Liz) Look in each others direction while talking. I was under the impression that you were in different states. I just wondered if maybe your screens were set up to the side or something. Maybe I’ m silly for asking, but oh well!
            Also thanks again, I really enjoy the site and podcasts!

August 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm

We are, in fact, about 800 miles apart! We started doing the “split screen” thing a couple of years ago on another podcast we were part of, and decided to bring it over to the True Blood podcast to make it feel a little more like a conversation and less like “talking heads”. We’re so in the habit now, that when we’re on the phone with each other (not recording), I automatically look to my right, and Liz automatically looks to her left, as though we can see each other. 😀

5. LouisianaGrl

August 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi Ladies! Just wanted to say thank you for such an insightful, non-biased perspective on what Bill is up to. Everything you said makes perfect sense and I hope to see it unfold like this in the remaining episodes. I’m Team Bill all the way so it was nice to hear a perspective that was not degrading towards him as other things I’ve read. Oh, and I also realize that I need to pay more attention during these episodes as I completely missed the nuances of the Bill/Salome love-making scene that you mentioned.

6. Lizzy

August 10, 2012 at 12:44 am

I really can’t see how Bill would turn completely around on mainstreaming so your theory makes some sense, Mel… but I have one question. How do you think Eric could be in on it? You said since the camera wasn’t turned off during their conversation about escaping it was for the cameras (I’m paraphrasing.). I agree with Show, don’t tell, so I can see how you come to that.

But when would they have had the ability to have a private conversation to plan this out then? I believe they were in Salome’s room, and Eric said there were no cameras, and I think I remember Salome saying she has her room checked for bugs. Why check for bugs if a camera was there? I just can’t see where they’d have an opportunity to have an unmonitored conversation.

All I can think is both Bill and Eric are working towards the same goal from different angles, with Bill’s being silent. Or, I kill Bill. =)

7. Emma

August 10, 2012 at 2:52 am

Wow, I never really thought that Bill AND Eric would be in on it. I have always had a feeling that Bill was just playing, but I never really thought about Eric being in on it as well. That’s really interesting. And you guys make very good points. And good grief those crazy fans. lol! Like I said before, on another post. Who says that you can only be fans of one person over the other? This whole Bill fans vs. Eric fans is ridiculous. Honestly, there are lot’s of people who are fans of BOTH Bill and Eric. So this whole vs. with other people is quite frustrating. This isn’t suppose to be a contest. We should all respect and care about ALL of the characters. And I agree, some fans are taking this WAY too seriously. It’s just a show. Enjoy it. Oh and another reason why I agree, is because of Alan Ball. He is still in charge of this season, and he has said many times that Bill is one of his favorite characters. And from the television stand-point, he actually admitted that he loved Sookie with Bill the most. Which I thought was interesting.

And you know, I’m actually going to admit, I never really understood why there are some Bill haters out there to begin with. Considering the fact that throughout the entire show, he was ALWAYS the good guy, he has always been the kind of vampire that wants to live peacefully with humans, stop violence and has always shown deep love and care for Sookie. Whereas Eric on the other hand has always been selfish, cold, and seemed to treat Sookie more like property than a real lover. So that’s always been just odd to me.

And OMG Mel, your family story! Sheesh! I can’t believe they would do that. I had the same reaction as Liz, I kind of had to recover from the story as well! lol!! That is crazy.

• Madeleine

August 12, 2012 at 1:39 am

Bill was not always the good guy, he had a phase during wich he enjoyed killing and making fun of his victims. As for Sookie : he didn’t love her when he payed the Rattrays to beat her half to death, that was a calculated action for no other reason than to gain her trust, find out what she is and procure her. He turned more than once on others, for very selfish reasons.
      There is no such thing than all good or all bad. And Eric was not always cold and selfish, he cared for his family, saved Pam and so on. So both are capable of good and bad deeds, there’s no way you can just label them with “good guy” and “selfish guy”.

8. Christie

August 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Just to comment on the bloodlines drawn comment in the podcast – something to think about. The description for episode 11, has the comment…Sookie meets the faerie elder. I wonder if they will pull from the book and it will be Naill? Or even better blend it in with the storyline in the book of the Uncle who is the “Jason look alike” and Ryan Kwanten plays the faerie elder with his Ausie accent. That would be so cool!!!

• Elizabeth Hopkins

August 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That would be a really great twist to the story!

9. Viv

August 11, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hi Ladies, interesting theory about Bill and Eric. Sounds like a good theory too. There is just one thing that makes me doubt that they are both in on it and that is Eric asking Bill if Sookie is just food to him now. I don’t think he would mention her at all if they were playing to the cameras, as they want to keep her away from the authority’s attention. Perhaps that scene happened before the discussion with Molly though, I can’t remember.

• Viv

August 11, 2012 at 4:03 am

Ooh, just thought, Eric and Bill know Russell will go after Sookie – whether he has a hankering for a tasty fairy snack or a stroll in the sunshine – so she isn’t safe anyway. Russell has to die for Sookie to continue living.

10. Jeff

August 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

As usual… Love you guys lol. You rock 🙂

August 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Jeff!

11. Whitney

August 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Ok when you guys were talkin I just made a connection that I didn’t see before. Godric and “Lillith” together in the same scene. What if that is really not Lillith at all and she is just Salome’s maker? Salome was manipulated by her maker and is now using her blood line to manipulate everyone else? That has to b a possibility too! What do u guys think?

12. Whitney

August 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Also btw Mel I love your theory about Eric and Bill! Really hope you’re right!

13. Laney

August 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Where is the podcast for last week’s Gone, Gone, Gone?

August 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

It was delayed, but it’s coming!

14. HelenaHandbasket

August 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm

So…have y’all changed your mind about Bill having a grand plan and that it was all a ploy?

August 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

You’ll have to wait for this week’s podcast to find out. 😉