Is [SPOILER] Really Gone from True Blood?

In last night’s episode of True Blood, Jason and Jessica said goodbye to Hoyt after he decided to move on with his life…literally. He took a job in Alaska, asked Jess to glamour him into forgetting her and Jason (what a heartbreaking scene), and said goodbye to his Mama. But is Hoyt really gone?

Jim Parrack says goodbye to True BloodJim Parrack posted the following tribute on his Facebook page after the episode aired which certainly sounds like a final farewell:

Well gang, I am so overwhelmed with gratitude. True Blood has been a blessing from the moment I heard Alan was gonna take a chance on me through all the years and people I got to work with and come to love, to this night where we say goodbye to Hoyt. It was my challenge and privilege and pleasure to bring this character to life. Our writers were always so generous to me in giving Hoyt meaningful stories and scenes and moments to act. If we started all over tomorrow and someone said “which true blood character do you want to play”, I would not hesitate to chose Hoyt. He is made up of our writers’ imagination and insight and my castmates’ generosity and my heart. It’s been an honor. I love my True Blood family and thank the Lord literally and very often for this blessing to be a part of it all. And if the Good Lord’s willing and the creeks dont rise, I’ll get to do something this wonderful and play a part this moving and rare and work with this pedigree of human beings and creative people again sometime. All of my love gang. Thanks for all the love y’all have invested
God Bless

TV Guide also has an interview with Jim about Hoyt’s final episode in which he talks about leaving behind the friends he made, Hoyt’s character development, and what Jim is doing next.

Let’s talk about filming the glamouring scene, as well as the scene where Hoyt doesn’t remember Jason. How hard was that for not only you, but for Deborah and Ryan?
Parrack:
Β It was tough for all of us. Those were my two best friends on the show. When I found out, when Alan called me to tell me what was going to happen, I didn’t want to tell everybody right off. I pulled Ryan and Deborah aside and they both got emotional and I got emotional. The day that we shot the scene, which I haven’t seen it yet, it felt good. I think it was easy enough for all of us because there were parallels there. What was happening in the imaginary situation was us saying goodbye and the three of us were also saying goodbye.

Do you think this was the most-fitting ending for him? Are you glad they didn’t kill him off?
Parrack:Β
Oh, yeah. The writers have always been so good and so in touch with the actors. What I do like best is I didn’t end up stepping on a land mine, or a vampire didn’t fall out of a tree and snap my neck or something. It was this progression to this choice being made. The character had experience. He was now going to make a choice and I like that. I like when you see people making choices because change has happened in their life. So I’m glad Hoyt’s still alive and I like that it was his choice. He says, “I’m going to go.”

(Read the full interview here…)

We had the opportunity to interview Jim during season 2, and were immediately drawn to his warmth, humbleness, and sweetness. If this is really the end of the road for Hoyt, he will be missed.

1. Jules

August 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

That was a great scene. Made me realize how attatched I am to these characters. He is definitely a “grown-@## man” who will be missed πŸ™ I assume this is the end for Maxine as well? πŸ™

2. Sherria

August 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

It was a very touching scene. I didnt see that coming at all. I am glad they didnt kill Hoyt. Jason and Jessica is going to be lost without him.

3. Fabio Y B

August 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

I dont think Hoyt has gone for good !!! Most probably he’ll return as a vampire and get his remembers back !!! What a mess to Jessica and Jason

4. Helen

August 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

I thought all of his scenes last night were emotional, definitely got me all choked up! I’m glad Hoyt had a “happy” ending though.

5. K.

August 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

I’m glad they didn’t kill Hoyt off. I guess they thought his storyline had run out of steam, but I can think of some other things for the character to get into. As for Maxine, she’s too good to waste. She’d be hilarious if they’d turn her and have her work as Eric’s enforcer since the other was killed by Pam.

6. Liz

August 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

I am so happy they didn’t kill Hoyt off. I think they gave him a very good “goodbye” and one that fits the character well.

• Jeff

August 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I agree. If its really the end for him, I’m really glad they didn’t kill him off. Jason’s crying was tough to watch after Hoyt didn’t remember him. How sad πŸ™

• Melissa

August 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I started crying when Jason did! Hoyt is one of my favorite characters, if he is really gone for good, which it looks like he is, I will definitely miss him!

7. Doris

August 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

This was one of the Moments when i wished it was so Easy in Real Life too! πŸ˜‰
    I’ll Miss Hoyt! Maybe he will come back soon, cause Alaska Is pretty cold especially for a southern

8. Doris

August 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

Boy! πŸ™‚
    (Sorry pressed the publish Button to early damn cellphone)

9. Dee

August 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

I love how they’ve left this storyline. It leaves room for so many future things to happen should they choose to more. It also leaves so much for Jason and Jessica to process and deal with, which will make for great scenes later.

I love Jim Parrack and his portrayal of Hoyt Fortenberry. I’m so happy that this role has opened such great professional doors for him.

Jim Parrack is a class act and I wish him much happiness and success in the future!

10. Passa

August 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love Hoyt, going to miss him. He was and still is one of my favorite characters on True Blood. Definitely happy they didn’t kill him off and instead gave him a fitting ending. I wish Jim all the best on his future projects. I will surely keep on the look out of those projects too. πŸ™‚

God bless him too.

11. Jamie

August 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I think he’ll be back either as a vampire or a vampire slayer. There has to be a reason he was sent to Alaska with its three months of constant daylight and two months of continual darkness. Either season would give him plenty of time to become one or the other. If he wanted to work on an oil rig, he could do so in the Gulf of Mexico, which is much closer to home. If I can come up with this idea, I’m certain the very talented writers on TB can come up with something just as good or better.

August 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Well the actor himself said goodbye, so…

• Jamie

August 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

And here’s a quote from his interview in TV Guide:

I mean, the real honesty is that I don’t know. I know that [executive producer] Alan Ball told me that they didn’t want to kill him, that Hoyt’s going away because Hoyt’s had enough. But Alan was adamant that one of the reasons they wanted to do that was to leave him the option to have a return.

August 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

I never once said he couldn’t make a cameo appearance on the show, just like Gran and Rene and Godric. But Hoyt’s story is complete and that is what the actor is saying both in that interview you are quoting from and his own Facebook page.

August 14, 2012 at 12:23 am

Hoyt’s Mama, Maxine, asked him why he didn’t take a job on a rig in the Gulf of Mexico, and he explained that he needs to strike out on his own. After 30 years in Bon Temps, he needs a fresh start.

• Jamie

August 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Sam and Luna figured Bon Temps is five hours from New Orleans, which is on the Gulf of Mexico. That would’ve given Hoyt enough space between him and his old life. I still think the reason he was sent to Alaska has to do with the seasons of constant light and dark, just in case they want to bring him back.

• Jamie

August 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Also I just re- watched the scene where Maxine is driving Hoyt home from the hospital, and Maxine said nothing about the Gulf of Mexico

12. Nokturhn

August 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Well, on one hand I’m happy they didn’t kill Hoyt hey didn’t kill Hoyt. On the other hand, I’m sad to see him go, It was one of my favorite characters and a funny one too. That scence when Jessica and Jason said goodbye to Hoyt it was heart-breaking, I will never forget that scene. And the other scene when Hoyt doesn’t remember Jason it was … I actually shed a tear. πŸ™‚ Hope he is happy !

13. Whitney

August 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Awe good bye Hoyt you will be missed, the character that everyone loves! Glad he left with dignity and as a fully developed character. The emotion was very real I love cathartic scenes like that!

14. TrueLove

August 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Congratulations to Jim P for the wonderful job of playing Hoyt. It was a fitting and touching end.

15. kelly

August 14, 2012 at 4:07 am

a very fitting end for hoyt. i cried when he was glamoured and i cryed even harder seeing jasons reaction with sookie in the cop car. we have all grown with these characters and so it is truly sad to see the go. goodluck jim thanks for being part of this family.

16. Rina

August 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Good luck to Jim Parrack with his current projects. We’ll miss you, Hoyt.

17. Lou

April 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Ι ԁo not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your blog. It appears like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had thіs happen prеviouѕly.