Recap 5.11 True Blood “Sunset”

Pam: “Since when did I become a halfway house for wayward baby vamps?”

Wow. Do you think there were enough stakings in this episode? It was nuts!

I’m soooooo disappointed in Bill. Eric managed to shake off the power of Lilith, and so did Nora, but Bill is turning into Lilith’s number one fan. He thinks he’s the chosen one, and since she’s recruiting pretty much everyone in the building, he is SO not. Lilith is eventually going to get some idiot to drink that blood, and when they do, wackiness will inevitably ensue. Let’s hope Bill wakes up and smells the coffee before that happens.

(What is Lilith, really? I hope they answer that. That poor actress who plays her is a trooper because standing around naked in that makeup has to be miserable. It looks like they are smearing her with tomato chutney or raspberry jam. Or possibly something even less appealing, and I’ll shut up now.)

Anyway, I hated seeing Bill treat Jessica like a possession. Or more accurately, in much the same way as her horrible, smothering, fundamentalist parents. Instead of acting out, Jessica showed bravery and smarts and managed to keep Jason from getting turned. (Awesome double wooden bullet staking.) And then she was smart enough to go to Pam. Unfortunately, that didn’t pan out and now half the cast is in the underground Authority prison, and Sam is about to be Bill’s breakfast. Will Sam be able to talk sense into Bill? I hope so, but it seems unlikely.

At least Eric, with Nora in tow, is finally out of Authority HQ. (Just as everyone else was dragged in.) They were even flying. Good times. Whatever Godric’s spirit did, it worked, and yay for that. The double staking in the car was awesome.

Finally, fairy elder? Loved her. She was freaking nuts, and reminded me of Lafayette’s mother. “John Cougar Mellencamp! For or against!” I was bummed that she was almost immediately dinner for Russell Edgington. I liked General Cavanaugh, too; he arrived at Authority HQ complete with blackmail and profuse profanity, but unfortunately, he lasted about as long as the Elder did. I bet Cavanaugh wasn’t bluffing about the military being prepared to obliterate “vampirekind”. Plus there’s his blackmail video. I somehow doubt that Eric is planning to cover up Russell’s crimes.

But wait! There’s more:

— Morella is very pregnant, and Andy refuting Morella’s “light” apparently means war. If there is also a human/vampire conflict, it’s going to be a mess.

— Jessica asked Tara if she “liked” Pam. Tara said no, but you know, I think she does. And Pam just fell on her sword to protect Tara. Tara and Pam as a couple? Now *that* would be interesting. Talk about sparks flying.

— Holly forced her sons to apologize to Andy, with mixed results. Why are teenagers such asses?

— You know, I like Alcide and he definitely should be leader of the Shreveport pack, but I really don’t care that his cheating former packleader of a dad can shoot a crossbow. Now that a lot of other plot points have been resolved, the scenes at the trailer seem pointless.

— Were Nora and Salome once lovers? It sure looked like it when they were smooching goodbye.

— Sookie thought Warlo was the shape thing she saw. Guess Warlo wasn’t Russell, after all.

Bits and pieces:

— Pam said that she and Eric have never nested. Apparently, it kept them sane, because everybody else is freaking nuts.

— Roslyn was sheriff Elijah’s maker. I wonder if all of her progeny are jerks?

— The Elder was played by Erica Gimpel, who had a continuing role on Veronica Mars.

— Love the clown mouth entrance to the fairy strip club.

— That very pink dress Anna Paquin was wearing looked like it was concealing a large baby bump. It wasn’t all that obvious until now. For me, anyway.

Quotes:

Bill: “Jason and Sookie and the inhabitants of Bon Temps are no longer a concern. They are food, and nothing more.”

Salome: “I would advise you to be … um, careful about what words you choose next.”
General Cavanaugh: “You psychotic bloodsuckers.”

Pam: “Don’t play games with me, little ginger bitch.”

Luna: “What is this place, the fucking vampire secret headquarters?”

Elder: “John Cougar Mellencamp. For or against?”
Sookie: “Against!”

Andy: “You’re so sweet you make the food here taste good.”
Awww. So much for that relationship.

Arlene: “Lafayette is a snitch.”
Lafayette: “I’m a bitch, not a snitch.”

Arlene: “And honesty. Gotta have honesty. And loyalty. You gotta know that person’s gonna be there for you thick and thin, cause you never know when some Iraqi ghost lady is gonna curse your entire family.”

Andy: “I just feel more comfortable with somebody who’s the same species.”
I don’t know why but that made me laugh out loud. Maybe it was Chris Bauer’s delivery.

Jessica: “She’s all bark, isn’t she?”
Tara: “Nah. She’s a lot of bark and a lot of bite.”

Jason: “Jesus!”
Russell: (laughs) “I actually met him. He was a boring hippie who stank of patchouli.”
Did they have patchouli back then?

Russell: “Sweet merciful fuck, that was delicious! Heaven, thy name is fairy!”

Is there really only one episode left? Where did this season go?

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Cindy

August 21, 2012 at 1:07 am

I was also very upset to see Bill treating Jessica that way. And shocked when he killed his fellow Chancellor. I think Sam will have to shift to get away from Bill…. maybe a fly again.
    The Fairy Elder seemed so shocked to hear that Russell was alive – is he the vampire they fear most? And since Russell is 3000 years old, how come he didn’t believe that fairies existed until he met Sookie in season 3? It seems odd that he would not know about them. Even Nan figured out what Sookie was. Russell never knew until he was told, even after Sookie told him she could read minds and he saw her throw Cooter across the room. I just find it odd that he is so old and just now finding out about the fairies.
    And what is with the Lillith hallucinations? Or is she real? I really hope they explain all that. If she is real, why would she be saying the same thing to all of them? Is there fairy blood in that Lillith vial….are the fairies causing all the turmoil in the Authority? Making them kill each other off….I don’t know, I’m at a loss about what is happening with the Authority.
    So Nora can fly too….I wonder how old you have to be to fly?

• Raina

August 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I’m a little late with this, I switched my cable providers and the forgot to add HBO, however, Russell (and pretty much all the vampires) acutally DID know about the Faeries. When Bill told Sookie what she was, he mentioned that there had been RUMORS or stories of the Fae hence his original mission from Sophie Ann who suspected that Sookie was something other than human. Those rumors were unfounded until he sent Franklin to check out Bill and Sophie Ann and also Sookie. Bill still hadn’t confirmed rumors until Tara and Alcide helped them escape from Russell’s and Bill drank from Sookie, lost control, and Tara kicked him out of Alcide’s truck into the light, and he didn’t burn immediately.

2. Scott

August 21, 2012 at 1:44 am

I reckon Russell did know about the fairys but got glimmered by his marker or someone more powerful because he was going on a rampage killing them all,like he is about to do now…so someone more powerful made him forget so they didnt become extinct so they could still enjoy the fruits of the fairys as well

• Cindy

August 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Vampires can’t glamour each other on True Blood, you must be thinking of Vampire Diaries.
      It would be nice to know who Russel’s maker is though….he said he was older than anyone at the Authority.

August 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’m sure Scott was referring to the way a maker can command his/her progeny. It’s not glamour but they can compel them.

• Cindy

August 22, 2012 at 1:43 am

The glamouring made me think about Sookie….what if she has pretty much used up her fairy powers? Would she then be susceptible to glamouring? I would think so. If she becomes human, then she would also be able to be turned into a vampire. She can’t be turned as long as she is fairy, right? Just wondering if they plan to make her totally human. I have not read any of the books, so I don’t know what happens. From what I have heard, they don’t really go by the books anyway.

3. Truebie

August 21, 2012 at 1:54 am

Lilith is the Devil, not God…

4. Eva

August 21, 2012 at 4:30 am

Billie this season went by so fast with nothing memorable because of all the BS storylines. Like Lafayette and the demon we never got a clear answer if he still has it. Just like the Jason and hotshot stories, pointless and a total waste of time that could be spent on someone else who is a main character. Having said that episode 11 of this season is one I finally enjoyed. Russell is a great villain, he’s bat sh*t crazy and delivers funny lines and I love that he’s ruthless. I like Andy and Holly too bad it looks like it won’t end well. I read before that faeries are born in litters I wonder if Maurella is carrying more than one I hope we get to find out next week. Also now that the elder is gone who is going to let Sookie know who Warlow is? Perhaps since Eric is 1,000 years old he might have heard of him. Well my fellow truebies til next week.

• Vamp_luvah

August 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I cannot believe that Jason got raped by like 20 hotshot weirdos and that story went noooooowhere! How is that even possible?! I LOVE Alcide but even I glazed over his scenes. There’s no time for bs when there’s only one more amazing episode left!!!!

5. Rebecca

August 21, 2012 at 8:03 am

Thanks for the recap. I think that Pam went to the Authority as a away to help Eric. I’m not sure it was totally for Tara. I was bummed about the Elder. She seemed too flaky and strange for the Fae to follow, much less go into battle for. Why bring the Elder into the storyline if you’re just going to kill her off immediately. Seemed silly and waste. I have truly loved Jason this year. He is such an excellent actor. My thought is that Warlow will come to save Sookie before Russell can get to her. Who knows though what will really happen. Someone is behind the Lillith blood hallucinations. Maybe the blood they ingested formed a link with someone, or something else,and it is controllng the hallucintions.

6. Toxic

August 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

The Norah & Eric story is the best and more interesting subplot of this season.

7. Dee

August 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Are we going to have a Nora/Eric/Sookie triangle?

8. Dee

August 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m not entirely convinced that Warlow is a vamp.

Also… could Emma be a shifter instead of werewolf? Maybe just being a wolf out of fear?

9. Daws

August 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Loved the cooky Elder Faerie. Her confrontation with Russell was such a letdown. She seemed to know what she was doing though so maybe she knew that she had to sacrifice herself to save the others. Maybe her blood turns out to be too much for Russell or it’s bewitched or something. It’d be cool if Elder Fae blood is too strong and it burns them alive or something. Faeries need something going for them cause on this show they’re about as worthless as werewolves. They all just get steamrolled by vampires.