True Blood Season 6 Cut to 10 Episodes? Say It Ain’t So!

In a new interview with TV Guide, outgoing True Blood showrunner Alan Ball casually mentioned that not only will production on season 6 start in January (instead of November like it has in the past) to accommodate Anna Paquin’s pregnancy, but “there will only be 10 shows next season partly because of Anna and partly because of the economics.”

If you’re like me, you just cursed out loud.

Alan dropped a few additional nuggets about True Blood season 6, but I have a feeling they won’t get much attention:

• Steve Newlin made it out alive.
  • Anna Paquin will be back right away when production begins in January 2013.
  • Alcide may still be carrying a torch for Sookie.
  • The “parents” Jason saw in the season 5 finale are the result of being thrown across the field and hitting his head: “It shook something loose in his subconscious, which is using his parents as a way to communicate his more violent and vengeful impulses.” Expect to see them in season 6.
  • Other characters we know and love “are pursuing a less than generous agenda.”
  • We’ll find out what the Elder Faerie meant when she told Sookie, “There’s a reason you give your heart out to every fangster you meet.”

Read the full interview at TVGuide.com.

1. Dee

August 31, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Reading about them cutting down on episodes, I wonder if they’re already suffering from budget cuts or whether they’re just trying to save money to keep the show going on in the future?

• Shawn

June 7, 2013 at 3:28 am

No it’s true! I met Nelsan Ellis “Lafayette” last year and he said filming would start months later because Anna had her twins! So to answer the question about budget cuts, not true 🙂

2. dina

August 31, 2012 at 10:14 pm

They could save money by getting rid of alcide and Eric’s whole wardrobe. No one would argue

• azvarela

August 31, 2012 at 10:40 pm

nothing good came from season 5 but annoyance. Only characters i cared about were Pam and Tara. I would have paid money to see Russel stick around and kill Billith. ugh.

August 31, 2012 at 11:44 pm

“IN MY OPINION nothing good came from season 5…” There, I fixed it for you. 🙂

(Season 5 is my favorite so far.)

• vikingrl

September 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I agree, season 5 ROCKED!!

3. Dreamer

August 31, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Alan Ball also said that Warlow may or may not be someone we already know…Oh the possibilities!

4. KnitWit

August 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I disagree. I thought that this year’s season was stronger than previous years – with the exception of the fire monster PTSD story line.

I’ll watch however many episodes they make.

5. Nothinbutjoy

August 31, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Cursed out loud is right!

Bloody hell!

Bad form! 12 episodes isn’t enough! To cut it down to 10? Billith help me!

Need to trim the budget? Cut out some story lines! There’s plenty of fat to be trimmed there!

Seriously, this completely bums me out.

6. lucy

September 1, 2012 at 1:03 am

Why do they have to cut it down, regardless if they delay filming, they can simply just wrap it up two months later, really it must be budget cuts and not because of Anna. 10 episodes isn’t enough, they better make each episode run an hour in length then to make-up for the cut episodes. I hope season 7 they extend it to 15 or 16 episodes to make up for a short season 6 whos with me.

• vikingrl

September 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Or two sets of episodes for the year instead of one…

7. ART

September 1, 2012 at 4:12 am

IMO, this season was a vast improvement over season 4. I do agree that Pam and Tara were the best part of this season. Too much authority dragged the show out. Anyway, the last fours shows of the season were amazing to watch. I guess Jason is the new Tara in hating vampires. LOL! But, unlike Tara, looks like Jason wants to kill them all. I just hope with the ten show that they get back to the main characters…don’t give Terry, Andy, or Arlene a storyline.

8. ehee

September 1, 2012 at 7:06 am

How is Alan Ball commenting on the goings on of Season 6 when he won’t even be with the show? I’m guessing Season 6 is down to 10 episodes because it will be the last season. No surprise either that the secondary characters will see less screen time; it’s been rumored Mark Hudis is not a fan of all of the extraneous story lines. Guess time will tell.

September 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Alan is still an executive producer and still involved with the show, but he won’t be overseeing it like he has for the past 5 years.

• Luke

September 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Well Sookie, Eric, Bill, Tara, Jason, Layfette and Sam are the only characters who have appeared in every episode, well Eric after he is introduced. Everyone else misses episodes, so maybe saving money in the budget would be to simply downgrade people, no making people regulars for only a 5 episode arc. Like did Amy, Patrick, Roman or Dawn really need to be credited as regulars when they barely reached 5 episodes in there seasons. Thats something that can easily do to save money.

9. Kim

September 1, 2012 at 7:32 am

10 episodes? They’re not making enough money??? Come on. It has nothing to do with Anna. Like Lucy said, they could just push it out 2 weeks for her.

I still think Warlow is a hybrid vamp/fae. I want to hear what the rest of the contract stated. What was given in exchange for her .

September 1, 2012 at 10:58 am

Two weeks? She’s having twins and you want to give her two weeks for maternity leave?!?

• Kim

September 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I didn’t know when she is due?

September 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm

November, which is why production was moved to January.

10. TBDoll

September 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

I don’t think season 6 will be the last season. Ten episodes would not be enough to finish the show. But I do believe it has mostly to do with Anna’s babies and her wanting more time off which is understandable. Also Alan might be saying its do the economics but it’s Mark’s first season as the show runner. They probably want to test the waters first. I believe he signed on for two seasons. Just as long as we get season 7 back to 12 episode I’m fine with it.

11. Helen

September 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

What?! No! I agree with Dina, cut Alex and Joe’s wardrobe! lol I think that might be of some comfort to us! 😉 Seriously though, I am a bit disappointed as it means season 6 will just fly by that much quicker. 🙁 Fingers crossed for a 12 episode season 7!

• Maria

September 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I’d love it if they extended season 7 to 16 episodes to make-up for the cut-back in season 6. Season 8 will end with 94 episodes, If season 8 was the final season for instance, I so hope they extend it to 18 episodes so the show can end nicely on 100 episodes.

• Joy

September 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Maybe they can make the actual episodes longer – 75 minutes to 1 1/2 hour????? That would make me happy….

12. Angie

September 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Anyone betting Hoyt was cut because of budget cuts.

• EricsMoll

September 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm

If it’s all about budget cuts, Hoyt was probably cut for that & the fact that his story line was getting old & they really didn’t have much more for him!

As much as I love Christopher Meloni (no matter what he’s on/in) that was a big budget waste! Putting such big stars on for an ep or two (in Meloni’s case 4/5) is …well let’s face it -that cost a Pretty Penny…. and for that kind of $$ he was killed off WAY too soon. Yes it was plot negated, but if your gonna kill someone off that soon- why use someone who it so expensive?

Don’t like the idea of a shortened season – would be first in line to ask for a LONGER season, but if that’s all they are offering…… I’ll take it. It’s better than no True Blood!

13. Luke

September 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm

An easy way to save money for the budget with 12 episodes, is to simply stop crediting/paying people as regulars. Downgrade a few people. Like Patrick and Roman were credited as regulars in season 5, and both died well before seasons end, there’s money wasted right there.

14. Team Sook

September 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

No, no, no! They better stick with the stories lines they started in the final and nothing else. Plus more Sookie+Vamps screen time. Cuz this is really what the show is all about. Sookie dealing with vamps. Hope Sookie and Eric hook up again like in the books. From the looks of the end of the final, its a big possibly. as long as they do that and stay true to the spirit of the books like always. I’m good.

p.s, Big bad Billith is awesome. I love it when they turn a character we all know and love to the dark side. Its great character development. I’m sure Bill will be back to normal some how or he will have to be killed. Maybe they will treat him as a an anti-Christ?

15. Elisha_Q

September 2, 2012 at 4:11 am

They waste too much time while filming vamps being killed, cutting most of those out would save money and time. Killing Roman and Russel was unnecessary.

16. TBGR

September 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh no! Just cut the secondary characters, there are so many…

17. Toni

September 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

10 episodes I just hope the episodes aren’t about Eric chasing in behind Sookie while she’s chasing behind Bill after 5 seasons how much more abuse can a woman take before she allows true love to conquer and I hope she grows up in season 6 as long as she’s been dealing with vampires she knows the drill and still allows her stubbornness to put everyone in danger

September 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Gah! Punctuation is your friend, Toni! o_O

18. Lucy

September 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am interested to see what True Blood does with only ten episodes. Hopefully it gives them reason to keep the storylines focused, and limit the number of characters. A co-worker at Dish and I have been watching the previous seasons lately with Blockbuster @Home. It helps to remember how far the show has come, and it’s so easy to just order the DVDs by mail or exchange them in the store. The first couple seasons of the show were not very long, but they still managed to be some of the best. So this new format may be good for the show, so long as there aren’t any smoke monsters next season I am happy.

19. Mary

September 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I would be happy to see FULL one-hour episodes. The episodes were barely 50 minutes each week (47 minutes one night), which I’m sure was also a cost-cutting measure. It would also thrill me to pieces to see way less Arlene and (sadly) Jason, who has become more comedic relief than a serious character in the series. I can definitely see that this series is winding down.

September 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

The episodes weren’t “barely 50 minutes each week” – they range from 47-58 minutes, depending on what’s needed creatively, just like every season.

20. TrueLove

September 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

This season seemed short so I think 10 is really going to feel short. Still I’m glad at least there is another season. If the episodes are great and there is more focus I’ll have no complaints!

21. K.

September 3, 2012 at 12:33 am

I think TB will go on for a few more seasons, so I’m not worried about that. As for the 10 episodes, maybe this will actually be a good thing and force the show to tighten up on the storyline by dropping the annoying extra (unnecessary) storylines and not dragging the plot out, like the first few episodes of this past season did.

22. Alcat810

September 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I think ten episodes would b great maybe they are gonna stop dragging the show out like game of thrones did which would be a great idea try and stick more to the bOoks now and true blood will continue to be fantastic

23. Ausry

September 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

OH COMMON 10 EPISODES??????
    I WANT 12 <333
    I wish there 10 seasons -.-

24. allison

September 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

12 seasons and a movie!!!!