Why Didn’t Sookie & Alcide Do More Than Make Out?

TVLine has an article asking that question of Alan Ball today, and, well, it seemed obvious to me what was going on, but here’s Alan’s official answer:

“The decision to not do it this season [came about because] every single season, it’s been all about Sookie falling in love with this person or that person,” exiting showrunner Alan Ball tells TVLine. “It seemed like she had enough on her plate this season to not just [say], ‘Okay, now Sookie’s gonna fall in love with Alcide!’”

So…basically for the same reason Sookie wasn’t really seeing anyone in [easyazon-link asin=”B000O76OP4″]Book 5[/easyazon-link]? Go figure. Alan did say that the possibility of a Sookie/Alcide romance isn’t out of the question, although he has competition:

“All of these supernatural guys in town carry a big torch for Sookie – even Eric, who doesn’t want to admit it.”

Again, following the pattern set by the books. Maybe I should cut Ausiello some slack; he clearly hasn’t read the source material.

1. Devon

September 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This is crap. Sookie can’t have sex without falling in love? Sexist. Sookie has too much on her plate and can’t follow up with the drunken make out? Fine. But it doesn’t explain Alcide’s chaotic character development AT ALL. We all know he has feelings for Sookie. One second he’s proclaiming he’s wanted her for a long time and then he disappears and is with another woman and in a new relationship almost a day later? It’s not as if Sookie wrote him off or they fought or whatever. They just dropped it; which is completely out of character for Alcide.

Seems to me that both characters had a lot on their plate and the writers couldn’t address it this season, but an Alcide sex scene was demanded and the writers had to give in despite what it would do to Alcide’s character.

Sookie can’t have meaningless sex but ALL the male characters on the show can?

September 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

See my comment to esw45 below: Sookie’s character is well-established as not being one to have sex without love or at least great affection (she wasn’t actually in love with Eric last season).

• Sookieeleana

September 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

Didn’t Sookie say she loved Eric at the end of last season? – her reason for not being with either him or Bill was because she loved them both. I know at this point in the books Sookie & Eric weren’t actually totally in love with each other but I’ve got the impression from the narrative of the show that they are both admitting their love a lot sooner here.

In Alcide’s defence – Eric did glamour him not to find Sookie attractive 🙂
        Also I think it did Sookie a lot of good as a character to stay single this season.

September 6, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’ll have to go back and rewatch that scene. I remember her saying she enjoyed their time together, and that she was attracted to both Amnesia Eric and Fully Possessed of His Faculties Eric, but I didn’t remember her saying she loved him quite yet.

• esw45

September 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

Yes in episode 4.10 she did say that she loved him and Bill too and Eric told her that he loved her as well.

• Sookieeleana

September 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

You’re right esw45 – I had forgotten about that. In ep.10 she actually says “I love you” to Eric after the spell is broken. Then in ep.12 she says that “no matter what I do somebody I love gets hurt” implying one of Bill or Eric.

I like it that Sookie only sleeps with men she loves. We do view her differently to all the other characters on the show and expect her to behave better. But also we expect the other characters to behave in a better way towards her, it is always more upsetting for the audience if something bad happens to Sookie, and more shocking if the violence or cruelty is towards her. She’s the moral center of the show and that’s how it should be.

2. esw45

September 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Yes Devon, you make a good point….Sookie having sex doesn’t have to always be about being in love but in true blood their version of sookie has it where she has to be in love to have sex with another person.
    I don’t think her and Alcide will ever really get together, I think Eric will try to stay away from her and not admit to being on love with her but the Billith and Warlow stuff will force him to admit his feelings and she will have to address her feeling for him as well …..I feel like Alcide has feelings for her and will be trying to get with her but her and Eric will give in to their feelings sometime next season, whether it leads to them having a relationship not sure but probably will.

September 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Like I said, this storyline is running right along with the one in the books. In books 4-6, Sookie and Alcide do share a mutual attraction, but there’s always something preventing them from getting together – Debbie Pelt, were politics, Eric, vampire politics. I would be shocked if they actually hooked up on the show.

Also, Sookie isn’t a person who can just have sex; that’s an established part of her character so to have her do so, even with the “excuse” of being drunk, is out of character. We already know Alcide (and Bill and Eric and Jason and Tara and Arlene and pretty much everyone else on the show) can.

• esw45

September 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Yes, Mel you have been right about this because I wasn’t a fan of sookie and Alcide getting together…let alone having sex ….I truthfully see him as more of a very good friend than love interest but he is the Quinn type character on this show. I just wanted to state that you have been spot on your prediction of Sookie and Alcide probably never really getting together on the show.

3. Adriana

September 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I was quite happy to have Sookie on her own this season. She had so much to deal with that to top it off with yet another suitor would have been too much.

4. K

September 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Sorry, Alan — I do hear what you’re saying, but I still want some hot Alcide/Sookie action. That substitute were didn’t cut it for me. 😉

5. StaceyJ

September 6, 2012 at 1:06 am

Well, I hope they do next season.. But, if they don’t I’ll make out with Alcide..

September 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Your willingness to sacrifice yourself for the cause is duly noted, Stacey. 😉