True Blood Radio 191: A Bloody Long Hiatus

True Blood season 5 is over, but True Blood Radio will be bringing you regular episodes full of news and speculation to make the hiatus as painless as possible.

This week we talk about a shortened season 6, discuss why Sookie and Alcide were a no-go, launch a new giveaway, and address a viewer comment about Bill vs. Eric.

Things we mentioned:

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes or Stitcher, or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. Kiki

September 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

Thanks ladies for the continued insight! I get where you are coming from as it relates to the Bill character. If you read the books, your expectations are much different than where his character has been taken in the show. Bill is a much more exciting and interesting character on the show. We usually want our characters to have positive growth, the self centered shallow individual learns that the world is bigger than they are and sacrifices themself for some form of love. Bill’s journey is just the opposite. The gloom yet hopeful existentialist Bill may be working toward a place where he discovers that the world/people around him is a darker place than he would like it to be. It appears that what they are saying about Bill is that he has a very dark core that he fights with and feels guilt about, his growth has meant embracing that. What will be interesting to see is if the new change (“Billith”) will result in a Bill that fully embraces the “darkness” or a Bill who will feel more comfortable with his inner dichotomy. I’m looking forward to it being taken either way. To be clear – I am not “Team Bill” but one thing I’ve discovered about the show… just because a character takes a trip on the dark side beyond where we as viewers believe they can recover, it doesn’t mean that they can’t remain a romantic option. There are no “pure” characters on this show, they all have darkness. The only character that was somewhat “pure” was Hoyt and it seems like the writers felt the need to rescue him from this world. Let’s face it, one of the reasons we love this show is because of how bleak and dangerous the world of True Blood is.

• jayjay

September 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Well stated. Kiki.

2. esw45

September 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

You are right about no pure characters on this show but I don’t think bill or billith is a romantic option for Sookie next season but maybe for season 7th …..I am not a bill fan for Sookie at all but next season they will need to explain what is he? Is he a new vampire with very powerful new abilities or not all vampire but a hybrid of something else? I think Alcide will be sniffing around Sookie but I think her and Eric will get together because he will be very protective of her with Billith and Warlow thing out there whether she wants him to be or not and his love for her whether he wants to admit or not will be shown. With only 10 episodes we will see how the writers shape it for the possiblity of a relationship between them but it should be fun to see what they come up with.

3. bytewrite (Devin)

September 14, 2012 at 4:03 am

I hope that the new season is so action packed, so fascinating and fast paced , that Sookie has no time for romance. Considering that she has “Billith” and “Warlow” to deal with, not to mention all the fallout from everything else thats happened, if they write the show how I’d love to see it there won’t be time for “hooking up” . At least not as a major arch for the character. Maybe a little bonding with someone along the way as they deal with all the problems that already exist.
    I did make the decision not to read the books till the t.v. series was over but from what I understand, they are different and people should remember that. I mean that they are two totally different sources of entertainment and the best bet would be to enjoy both of them, sperately, for what they are.
    One more quick thing…. Arent you interested and just DYING to know how or if they are going to try and redeam Bill after what he’s done? I imagine that the Bill fans are having a hard time ,now that Eric is looking like the “Good One”.
    Thanks for keeping up the ‘Cast inbetween seasons, it’s great to have a life line, like a little “FIX” of True Blood during the time the seasons on hiatus. Love ya and you do great work and it’s appreciated.:)

September 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

I lean more toward what you are saying, Devin. I’d be perfectly fine with Sookie spending another season without having to deal with the drama of a romance. I really like her on her own. As for your question about redeeming Bill next season, yes, I am absolutely interested to know how they will handle the Billith question. Mel and I talked about it in this podcast. While I can’t even come close to speculating on what they will do, I feel sure we’ll be surprised by it. Bill may not get redemption for a long time yet. I don’t think we’ll ever see the old Bill again. This experience will forever change him.

4. Kiki

September 14, 2012 at 11:36 am

Oh… don’t get me wrong. I’m perfectly fine with no romance for Sookie. Her love life is not as fascinating as other story lines. I’m just thinking that anything can happen, and I like that.

5. esw45

September 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I hear you Limo, but I would be shocked if we get another season of no romance or clarification on Sookie’s love life ….I see they took one season off of dealing with her love life but I think season 6 they will do something about it eventually.

• esw45

September 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am sorry, I meant Kiki

6. Lidia

September 15, 2012 at 12:14 am

Eric told Sookie he loved her in episode 10 of season 4.

7. Snoopy16

September 17, 2012 at 7:27 am

WOW!!!! I’ve listened to all of your shows and the one time I comment, I get mentioned on the podcast!!! I was too excited about the mention, however I was some what embarassed because I think my comment came more negatively that I meant it. Liz, I was not questioning your integrity or bias thoughout time between the characters of Eric and Bill, in the books or on the show. I was just referring to the one isolated incident where you seemed to ream Eric on the show for glamouring Alcide to stay out of Sookie’s bed and then didn’t take a hard line to Bill when he degraded Sookie on the finale show. That was the extent of my bone picking 🙂 I agree with you both more often than not, that’s why I have listened to every one of the 191 podcasts, and plan on continuing this True Blood journey with you. You brings so much insight to this wonderful show. It is true that I favor Eric over Bill for Sookie just because Eric seems to be more stronger of self than Bill. I totally agree that Eric is not perfect by a long shot except in the looks departmetnt 🙂 I love that you would both take time to address me on your show. Even though I did not mean to insult anyone, I’m glad that it sparked some discussion on the air. It’s the closest I’ve come to being an celebrity 🙂 Have a great day!!

• Emma

September 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Well at least another good thing about Bill is that he is also good to look at. LOL! Seriously, both Bill and Eric are hot! And Bill might be even hotter now that he’s on the dark side.

8. Emma

September 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I’ve actually said it before, and I kind of want to say it again. I’m all for Sookie not hooking up with any vampires, or really, for season 6 it would be nice to just see her on her own. Although I will say that even though the idea of Bill/Sookie not together for a long long time seems true. There is still some part of me that wants them together, even if it’s just very briefly. And the main reason for that is because Anna and Stephen are of course a real-life couple. And because they are a VERY cute couple together in real life; I want to see that on-screen as well. Just a little love scene would do. So the funny thing, is that it’s not necessarily because of the characters themselves that I want to see get together, I only want them together because it’s just fun seeing that naturalistic way that Anna and Stephen would handle a love scene together knowing they are a real couple. There is just something so beautiful in that, that you don’t really see with other actors doing love scenes together, who are not together in real life.

Does this make sense?

9. Emma

September 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Oh and sorry for double posting, but I forgot one other thing that I wanted to ask Mel. You said you don’t go for the “nice guys” in fiction, and that’s why you never really liked Bill, because he was always the nice guy of the show. Well, now that he’s totally on the dark side and will have a very dangerous personality, do you like him more now? Would you go for him more now? Alan Ball seems to think this will get some of the Eric fans to actually like Bill more than they did before.

And one more funny thing I’ve noticed. Ever since season 5 began, Bill/Eric slash fanfics have gotten more popular than before. I honestly think the whole thing is hilarious and I’m not surprised.