Alexander Skarsgard Being Courted for TARZAN

We’ve been seeing reports of rumors that Alexander Skarsgard was being considered for the lead role in director David Yates’ Tarzan movie recently, but we didn’t ask him about it in our recent interview because, well, rumors are just rumors. Now Variety is reporting that he’s the frontrunner for the role and it’s looking like a distinct possibility that Alex will be swinging from vines in the near future.

Per Variety, Yates’ (director of the last four Harry Potter films) is keen to land Alex as the lead for the movie, although an official offer hasn’t been presented and the movie hasn’t actually been greenlit. However, sources indicate that Warner Bros. is expected to give the go-ahead to the project by the end of the year with filming to begin in Summer 2013. If Alex does end up headlining the project, he’ll play John Clayton III, aka Tarzan. The movie is set several years after he’s reassimilated into society when Queen Victoria requests that he return to the Congo to investigate nefarious doings. Tarzan enlists the help of an ex-mercenary named George Washington Williams to save the Congo from a warlord who controls a massive diamond mine. Samuel L. Jackson is being eyed to play Williams.

What do you think about Alex taking on the role of the former jungle dweller? For my part, I’d rather he play Tarzan than Christian Grey.

1. Donna

November 15, 2012 at 5:22 am

I can picture Alex more as Tarzan than I can as Christian Grey. I have no doubt that Alex could very easily show the mood swings that CG is noted for but physically, I see CG as shorter and more muscularly developed than Alex is but Tarzan as tall and slender as Alex is.

2. Billie Doux

November 15, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’m a bit apprehensive. Tarzan has never been my favorite Edgar Rice Burroughs series, even though it was his most popular, and I’m not a fan of the character. I *am* a fan of Alexander Skarsgard’s, though. If he gets the role and the movie does well, it would be great for him and I wish him the best.

3. Helen

November 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I couldn’t really see Alex as Tarzan. Personally, I think Joe Manganiello would suit that role right to the ground!!

• trisha

November 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

Well, Tarzan in the book is the son of an english Lord and Lady so he’s supposed to look very anglosaxon. He has grey eyes and fine features and a noble demeanour yada yada yada.

The description actually fits alex rather than Joe. Plus we know he looks great in edwardian clothes LOL

4. Elisha_Q

November 16, 2012 at 7:23 am

Ha Ha Ha 😀 Alex as Tarzan. This must be a joke. LOL This role is an actors’ suicide, no creativity in it. I doubt that he is going to be interested in doing that movie.

5. Rina

November 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

It’s hard to picture Alex as Tarzan, but if it’s an older version of Tarzan who left the jungle and became a member of society, then I can kinda see it. I bet Yates saw Alex in period costume during the TB S5 flashbacks with Eric and Pam and started drooling. It would be worth it to see Alex in more period costumes. Since John Clayton is supposed to be English, does this mean Alex would have to learn to speak with an English accent?

This may all be a baseless rumor like that 50 shades of crap movie. Until Alex gets an offer, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• rosamund

November 17, 2012 at 4:43 am

The 50 Shades of Crap rumours are not even actual rumours, just chatter from fans or articles that twist AS vague answers to make it look like he absolutely wants to do it.
      Nothing of substance has ever been reported regarding casting for that film, because they’re only just starting writing it (good luck to the adaptaors LOL)

This one definitely looks like legit insider info, since it comes from Variety.

6. Madeleine

November 18, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’m seriously wondering why so many people are so opposed to Alex playing Christian Grey. It’s a multi-layered charcater and with a good script it might even be interesting.
    But Tarzan? *shudder* Why would anybody be interested in a Tarzan movie? Investigating in the Congo? Doesn’t that sound kind of ridiculous?

• rosamund

November 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Christian grey is not a “multi-layered character” really… He’s just a collection of romance novel cliches with a dash of superficial BDSM stuff thrown in to give it an “edge”.

If we’re talking ridiculous, well few things are as ridiculed as the 50 shades books and with good reason. The fact that they’re popular doesn’t mean they have merit, and nobody with half a brain, even if they enjoy them , would deny their absolute trashiness. (JMO of course lol)

Tarzan might be somewhat dated in its original form, but it’s not any dumber as a concept than your average comic book superhero. It’s all in the execution.

November 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Gotta side with Rosamund here. I see no challenge for Skarsgard in playing Christian Grey.

• Madeleine

November 19, 2012 at 12:25 am

Mel said : Gotta side with Rosamund here.
          How surprising 😉
          But yes, the Shades Trilogie is somewhat trashy, doesn’t mean the script would have to be. As far as cliches are concerned : wich movie or show or book doesn’t use them? Anyway, it’s seems you either like the books or you hate them (I see no need though to insult those who do like them).

November 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I didn’t see any insult thrown in here at all. If there had been, the comment would have been edited per our policy.

I too have to agree with Rosamund, so you won’t be surprised by that either I’m guessing. I have very negative feelings about the 50 Shades fanfiction. I have made no secret about it on our podcast. When I read the rumors that Skarsgard was being considered for the lead, I cringed and hoped that he would not really do it.

7. Kim

November 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I think it would be great to bring the negatives of mining in the Congo to the big screen. Not to mention, seeing Alex fighting the good cause. Hope it comes to fruition.