Uncategorized

Endpaper Illustration Released for DEAD EVER AFTER

We may not be getting an advance chapter from Dead Ever After this Christmas, but Charlaine Harris did release the endpaper illustration for the final Sookie novel. (The endpaper is the piece that covers the blank pages at the front and back of a book.) I think the Sookie/Eric fans are going to be pleased!

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

1. Nothinbutjoy

December 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm

*squee*

Okay, there’s Eric, but no Bill, Pam or other vampire, just bats. There’s a tiger…QUINN! WHAT!?! There’s a wolf…Alcide…most likely and a collie…Sam.

To me, it looks like they’re running around the moon, or running around in circles.

Such a TEASE!!!

Love it!

2. Elisha_Q

December 22, 2012 at 4:51 am

To me it looks like an all supes gathering during full moon. May be the one that gets killed is a supe of some kind.

3. GillD

December 22, 2012 at 4:58 am

Totally running around in circles! I have always believed that the books were about Sookie’s development as a person, and each book showed how her experiences (good and bad) impacted on her life. The image of them all chasing each others around in a circle mirrors the broad outline of the books. It depends on your perspective of who is chasing whom in this cover. Are they all chasing Sookie, or is Sookie chasing Sam, and the others are along for the ride? She has been through all the trouble and strife of the previous books, and is now back where she started, but with a lot more knowledge and experience. Where will she go from here?

Also, the Gollancz editions of the books show an interesting progression of colours. The first book (dead until Dark) is a pinkish mauve, and the colours work their way through the rainbow via blue to green to yellow, and Deadlocked is orange. I wonder if the Gollancz version of Dead Ever After will be a red cover to complete the rainbow?

Interestingly, there are 5 bats that I can see – 2 more than the front cover. I am pleased that it appears that Eric will be a major player, as there is so much storyline with Queen Freyda to be tied up. 2 bats go off in one direction, 3 go off in another – what does this mean? Is it Eric and Freyda heading in one direction with Bill, Pam and another vamp heading in another? Will Quinn be dragged in to officiate at Eric and Freyda’s wedding (using the knife that Eric stole)? Will it go ahead, or will something stop it? On the front cover there are only 3 bats heading off together. Can the front cover be seen as an analogy of the start of the book, and the back cover the end? Am I seeing what my imagination is putting there, rather than what is intended? Have I got it all wrong? I do so love speculating, and cannot wait for the book to come out!

December 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Very nice breakdown, Gill. I like how you’ve thought all this through, even speculating about the color scheme. Nicely done!

4. Sookieeleana

December 22, 2012 at 5:12 am

Oh yes I’m very pleased with that <3

Wonder if it will be split in the book – half at the front and half at the back?

So lovely to see Eric again!

5. Gracie

December 24, 2012 at 5:34 am

I hate that we don’t see Bill, he was big part of Sookie’s life! :( At least I hope Eric marries the Queen and hurts Sookie. These supes need to have self respect and move on from Sookie.

6. Jenna

December 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hooray, No Bill. Since Charlaine originally planned his death 2 books ago; that’s no surprise.Eric seems to have his hand over his heart. Sookie and Eric are “over the Moon” from each other meaning Very happy or delighted.So I think the vampire marriage survives.Pretty sure it is Victor and the Queen flying off together.Sam seems to be jumping off the moon Thinking Sam will die as you cannot cheat death. Quinn’s feet are not touching the moon, means that something happened very fast. So fast that the person’s feet did not even have time to touch the ground, So maybe Quinn dies. All of Alcide’s feet are touching maybe meaning he is grounded- sensible, realistic, and unpretentious. He becomes the Pack-master he was meant to be. In the end I believe Sookie will realize Eric loves her and follow her heart back to Eric.

7. Rina

December 30, 2012 at 12:43 am

There seems to be a lot bats in this illustration, presumably representing important vampires. Let’s see, there is Bill, Pam, Felipe, Freyda, and we are supposed to meet Eric’s other child, Karin. It looks like these vampires leave in some sort of groupings. It’s unclear who’s going with whom. But I think it’s very clear that for better or for worse, for richer or for poor, in sickness and in health, Eric will continue to chase after Sookie despite any (furry) obstacles in his path. And Sookie will continue to be involved in the supe world.