Charlaine Harris Doesn’t Want to Spoil You!

Charlaine Harris explained her reasons for not scheduling a tour for her final Sookie Stackhouse novel, Dead Ever After, coming out in May. According to her Facebook page:

I made the difficult decision not to tour with the last Sookie novel for several reasons. I have an important family event at that time. And I thought that at every event some people would have already read the book, and in answering their questions the ending might be revealed to people who hadn’t read it yet. To my Kentucky readers, I signed in Kentucky last year and had a wonderful event. I hope I get to sign in many places in coming years and to meet many of you personally.

So she’s got your best interests at heart, Truebies! 😉

1. Sookieeleana

January 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I can certainly understand the family reasons – family always comes first.

I think it will be almost impossible for anyone not to find out how the books end after May 7th. You would have to stay off the internet for one thing. I know I wouldn’t be strong willed enough for that.

I hope you ladies still might manage to get a little interview about the final book some time 🙂

January 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

You’re right about the spoilers, Sookieeleana, and I believe that Charlaine knows that too. However, she will not be the one to spoil it for anyone. What goes on among the readers obviously she has no control over.

I hope we can get one final interview with her as well. We’ll certainly try! It’s become a tradition around here.

January 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I was telling Liz this morning that it always surprises me how many people don’t read the Sookie books the day they come out. For example, Charlaine came to my area during her Book 11 tour, and of course I went to see her. During the Q&A, I started to ask a question about the gift Sookie received from her “godfather”, but Charlaine held up her hand and asked to ask her in private when I came up to get my book signed so as not to spoil it for others who hadn’t read the book yet. Sure enough, I looked around and at least half the people in that standing-room-only bookstore looked panicked that I was about to spoil them. This was 2 or 3 weeks after the book had been released!

The moral of the story is that not everyone is as voracious about reading the new book as we are. It’s easy to forget that those of us who talk about it online aren’t “everyone”!

• Sookieeleana

January 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I completely get what you are saying but I think whoever ends up being Sooke’s HEA will not just be available on book sites or TB sites, I think it will become known more widely on entertainment / literature sites and maybe even in magazines etc. I think a person will have to try really, really hard not to hear or read who it is.

But Ms Harris is absolutely right – why she chose the HEA would be a major discussion at any event she attends so that would suck for anyone who was there and hadn’t read it yet.

• Debi

January 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Mel, you are so right about the books signings! We are a bit rabid on the books. It was my first book signing and what a mix of folks read these books! Many drive hours, so it might get ugly if you spoiled the ending! The ending of this book will be a big deal…not “Who Shot JR” news, but still. (did I date myself with the Dallas reference?)

I did your offer on Audible so I could get the book same day it was released! Not sure I moved until I got through it! I would have burst if I had to wait weeks for her signing…I bought a copy for her to sign.

2. Jana

January 15, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I can understand why she’s doing this. Besides, Dead Ever After is the swan song for Sookie and Bon Temps so even though Charlaine is done, it’s got to be somewhat bittersweet.

3. Rina

January 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm

This will be the final book, and a very important book, to wrap up the series, and CH doesn’t want to spoil it for the fans. I have no problems with that. I plan on getting the book from my local library and probably won’t get to read it the day it comes out either, so I definitely will stay away from spoilers.