Charlaine Harris Reveals Plans for AFTER DEAD, Coda to DEAD EVER AFTER

Charlaine Harris previously mentioned that she was working on a coda to the Sookie Stackhouse novels, After Dead, a shorter book wrapping up a few storylines that she couldn’t fit into Dead Ever After. Today she posted more information on her official site (see post #3809 by Maker):

I hope a lot of you read this thread today, because I’ve chosen it to make a little announcement. I just saw the cover for “After Dead,” which is the coda to the Sookie books. My publisher decided to publish it before Christmas in a separate volume. It will be a slim book containing what happens AFTER “DEA” to many of the characters I’ve created over the years. And Lisa is drawing a Sookie alphabet for the book. There are several other features under consideration for this volume, which is intended as a stocking stuffer. I’ll post more when I know it.

Charlaine Harris

Amazon has the on-sale date listed as October 29, 2013, with a retail price of $17 (currently reduced to $11.56 for pre-orders). The full title of the book is After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse.

1. Gill Davies

February 14, 2013 at 9:28 am

What excellent news, and a really clever way of giving the fans more information (and “closure”) after the excitement of reading ‘Dead Ever After’ starts to fade. Some fans (including me) will find it hard to let go of the series and characters, and will feel a sense of loss, almost grief, knowing that there will be no more – almost as if the characters are no more. I believe that setting a coda after the events of the last book, that ties up many loose ends, shows that Charlaine Harris understands this, and wants to do right by her many loyal fans.

Not many authors show that much respect for their readers, and I will continue to follow what CH does with great interest.

2. krtmd

February 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

Just a tip, the post #s at the CH forum are not the same for everyone, because PMs between registered members are also assigned a number.

3. Helen

February 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I’ll be adding that to my Christmas list! :)

4. Tracy

February 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I’m surprised that Quinn is so important now, at the end of the series. (the Tiger on the cover.) I noticed on the DEA bookcover, that all the “Obvious” SookieSooters are pictured, ie Sam/dog, Quinn/tiger tail, Alicide/wolf, and the bats (Bill.) THis cover shows Eric tho, the coda-book. I wonder if Sookie might just end up in the situation that she was in, at the end of season 4 of HBO’s true blood, ie, without ANY beaux. Maybe she had enough heartache, and just stays by herself. Stranger things have happened.

February 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

You’re referring to the image at the top of the article? That’s not the cover for AFTER DEAD, it’s the end paper for DEAD EVER AFTER. The cover art for AFTER DEAD hasn’t been released yet (too spoilery, perhaps?). Sorry for the confusion!

5. blomman

February 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

Great news !!! :) thanks for posting !!

6. Laney

February 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I think Sookie is going to wind up with Eric and I do hope that CH leaves the door open so that she can come out with another book in the future if she so chooses….