Sookie Stackhouse Book Trailer & Interview with Charlaine Harris

With the final Sookie novel due in just a couple of months, promotion is beginning with a trailer that features each of the 13 book covers in a beautiful, haunting setting. Watch it at EW.com. EW also has an exclusive interview with Charlaine Harris, discussing finishing the series, owning her characters, and what’s next:

Are you satisfied with the ending?
It’s the ending I had planned all along, maybe from like the second book on. There will be people who are super happy and there will be people who will not be happy, but you have to stay true to your own vision.

So you never felt the urge to change anything in the series based on the readers’ feedback?
No. I’m sorry, this is the universe I’m the queen of. The readers can get pretty angry and tell me I’m writing the characters wrong. I hardly see how that could be possible. They’re my characters! [Laughs]

(read the full interview here…)

1. Natalie

March 12, 2013 at 11:10 am

The last few books have given many sad situations for Sookie, Eric, and their relationship. But i’m sure i’ll be one of the many, many super happy fans in the end. 😉

2. Natalie

March 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

Eric and Sookie all the way!

3. Sookieeleana

March 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

I agree – it will be Eric & Sookie 🙂

I really can’t wait to read it and I love the little advert featuring Lisa D’s artwork.

4. Elisha_Q

March 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I think that she and Sam will get together now that he is finally not her boss.Or atleast it’s a 50/50 chance between Sam and Eric. I love Eric but he is proud, and after Sookie saved Sam, I don’t think there is a way he could forgive her. Sam has always been there for Sookie, she’s always been there for him, they have had a crush on each other for years, they almost did it once – all of this points to Sam.
    I don’t know, may be I think so because I’ve been rereading the whole searies again and it seams there are all these little hints.
    I would be really happy if it’s Eric, cause of all the male characters he is my favourite.

• Jana

March 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I agree. I could see an epilogue where we see Sookie and Sam sitting on her front porch watching their grandchildren while Eric looks on from the shadows but who knows? I love book Eric so much but Sookie will never be a vampire and a truly happy HEA for her would be a long life and a family with someone.

March 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

That’s been my vision of Sookie’s future pretty much from the beginning.

• rosmunda

March 14, 2013 at 7:09 am

But Sookie hasn’t mentioned or even hinted at ANY non-platonic feelings for Sam in a long time now. It seems way too late now (even disregarding the fact that the last few books wre basically a big build up to the “how will sookie and Eric manage to solve this mess” final show-down)

Also CH said:
      ” I’m not saying that “happily ever afters” are a bad thing, and I’m not saying Sookie will never be happy … but she’s not going to settle down and start a family and have the white picket fence”
      That really doesn’t sound like a Sam ending to me…

March 14, 2013 at 9:54 am

If you re-read the last 2 books and pay close attention to the Sookie/Sam interaction, I think you’ll see what we’re seeing.

• rosmunda

March 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Oh I have paid attention, but I just see a bit of intentional misdirection, that’s it. Nothing of substance.
          Bottom line, she’s still deeply and vocally in love with Eric with only the final book to go.
          In all honesty, there’s no way CH could sell her falling out of love with Eric, fully getting over it, and realizing her burning love for Sam,plus aaall the final plot resolution which is mostly connected to Eric-vamps, all in the space of one book.
          That would feel entirely unearned and make zero narrative sense.

• Elisha_Q

March 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

Read the side stories, too, especially “If I had a hammer”.

• Sookieeleana

March 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

IIHAH is set after DEA right? And Sookie describes Sam as her friend in that story, if I remember correctly.

Eric will still be her lover at the end, Sam is very special to her, but he’s not the one, he never has been 🙂

• rosmunda

March 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

YEP, she calls him her FRIEND, and then also her BOSS. Nothing else.
            How is that supposed t support her ending up with Sam romantically?? If anithing, it confirms she doesn’t.

March 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm

He’s not her BOSS anymore. 😉

• rosmunda

March 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm

OH and yes, CH has confirmed IIHAH takes place after DEA.

• Elisha_Q

March 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Well, Tara’s babies need a new room, and in the beginning of Deadlocked they are still not born so I’m thinking that it’s after that. Of course I could be seeing what I want to see, which is other characters sensing something between Sam and Sookie.

May is not that far away, we’ll see 🙂

• krtmd

March 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

Sam is still her boss – they aren’t equal partners in Merlotte’s. He owns 2/3 to her 1/3. She’s part owner, but it’s still primarily Sam’s business.

And who calls her lover her “boss” or her “friend”?

March 19, 2013 at 10:37 pm

They aren’t lovers…yet. 😉

• krtmd

March 20, 2013 at 11:03 am

But if IIHAH is set *after* DEA (where we know the HEA will be settled) then her referring to Sam as her “boss” and her “friend” seems a bit off, don’t you think?

March 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Sorry, but IIHAH is before Dead Ever After, not after.

March 21, 2013 at 2:16 am

IIHAH is set between DEADLOCKED and DEAD EVER AFTER, but it was released before DEADLOCKED (I don’t remember why). Remember that the reason they needed the hammer in the first place is because Sookie and Sam were helping get the nursery ready for Tara’s babies, who are born in DEA.

• krtmd

March 21, 2013 at 6:55 am

No, IIHAH is set *after* DEA. Ms. Harris confirmed this on her forum several weeks ago.

• krtmd

March 21, 2013 at 7:25 am

Here you go:

1777 Maker 2013-01-29 09:58
            “If I Had a Hammer” and “Playing Possum” both take place after DEAD EVER AFTER.

So there.

Charlaine Harris

March 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

Huh. I hadn’t seen that information from Charlaine before. As I recall, she explained back when IIHAH was released that it took place after DEADLOCKED, even though it was released before – although I guess technically that is correct. 😀

As far as Sookie calling Sam “boss” and “friend” in that short story…that’s still not enough to convince me that they aren’t together in the end since Charlaine hadn’t written DEA yet. She (Charlaine) may have used those words so as not to tip us off to what transpires in a book released nearly 2 years later, or that’s really how Sookie sees him. I have to say, though, the way she (Sookie) thinks about Sam in that story is what got me to seriously speculating that they would end up together. Only about 6 more weeks until we know!

• Nymerias

March 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I don’t think so because in IIHAH she describes Sam as her boss, so that does not indicate to me that they will be together. You are right in that she had not written DEA yet when she wrote IIHAH but all that says to me is that she already knew her ending for DEA and that is why she had Sookie refer to Sam as her ‘boss’ and ‘friend’. I have never felt that Sookie and Sam had any chemistry whatsoever.

March 22, 2013 at 12:55 am

I’ve felt sparks between them since Book 1. 🙂

March 22, 2013 at 10:09 am

I felt it too immediately but I was so taken with Bill When he entered the picture that Sam flew out of my head. But the chemistry between Sam and Sookie has always been there. Sam always turned Sookie on but she was uncomfortable with that because he was her boss. Becoming more of a business partner when she bought into Merlotte’s removes that issue.

But Sookie’s HEA could very well be that she lives a very happily without any romance with Bill, Eric, Sam or anyone else! 😀

• krtmd

March 26, 2013 at 8:24 am

except for the fact that CH has said Sookie will definitely have a life partner

March 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm

And that life partner could be a dog or another cat for all we know.

5. Rebecca S

March 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I get the feeling that she is leaning towards Sam, but I really hope that she isn’t because I don’t think after 13 books she should/could end one relationship and start a new one in the last book and do it justice. Also there has been sad times for Sookie and Eric but they are IN love with each other and I think they just need to both get their heads out of their backsides and TALK TO EACH OTHER which they have needed to do for the last 4 books……rant over.No not over….one more thing, Sam never told Sookie what he was despite knowing that she felt isolated and like a freak. He had years to tell her and make her feel less wierd but didn’t and never made a move till other people showed an interest! Rant now over.

6. Rina

March 13, 2013 at 12:25 am

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine what CH intends as a fitting ending for the Sookie Stackhouse books. It’s as frustrating as trying to figure out what TB will do with Billith and Warlow. LOL

7. esw45

March 13, 2013 at 7:49 am

I think Sookie and Eric will find a way to be together in the end…..they have gone thru so much to be with each other and they really are a great love story so I don’t see how we have so many books of their love story to just end it with her being with Sam at the endof it which would be disappointing to me and a lot of fans.

8. KCScout

April 3, 2013 at 10:51 am

I think team “Anybody but Eric’ is going to be disappointed in their hopes. If IIHAH takes place after DEA, then Sam is still Sookie’s friend and boss. Ms. Harris has steadfastly told us Sookie’s HEA will be revealed in DEA so if it’s not Sam, it has to be Eric. Eric, who was her vampire husband in DR and the person she told everyone in the story she loved and desperately wants in her private thoughts. If DEA was nto the last book, maybe Sam would have a chance, but there was nothing on Sookie’s part in STW or DL or DR — she only wants Eric.