Putting a Stake in the Eric Northman Death Rumors

Yesterday afternoon, with his usual flair for stirring the fandom pot, Michael Ausiello from TVLine dropped a hint that rocked the Eric Northman fans to their core when he said this:

Question: There are rumors that True Blood is going to kill off the gorgeous and sexy Eric Northam! Please tell me this isn’t true. He is one of the main reasons I watch. —Kelly
Ausiello: I can neither confirm or deny the rumors, but I can offer you two pieces of evidence that suggest such a twist is in the realm of possibility. The first one comes care of Joe Manganiello, who tells TVLine, “We’re getting to the point in the season now where people are starting to die. The table reads are starting to get smaller, and I’m sure they will continue to do that.” Exhibit B, meanwhile, arrives in the form of Episode 7′s title — “The Funeral.” Sorry I don’t have better news for you Kelly.

To even remotely suggest that Eric might be one of the dead undead is proof positive that ol’ Mike loves to cause trouble, leaving us to calm the waters.

Alexander Skarsgard is bound by a seven year contract with HBO and the show, as are the other leads. Given that this is only year 6, I think it’s safe to say that our favorite Viking vamp will be around at the close of season 6. Also, the showrunners are fully aware that Eric is a huge fan favorite and a lead character, none of which have bit the dust so far. Eric Northman is also a main character in all of the books which True Blood is based on and plays an important part in the developing story on the show.

If you read the answer carefully, you’ll see that the quote from Joe simply says that “people are starting to die”. No, really? On True Blood? While you recover from that supposed bombshell, consider this: nowhere does Joe say a main character is on the chopping block. Instead, remember the pattern of this series – to introduce new characters at the beginning of a season, then they start dropping like flies by the middle of the season (what they’re filming now). Also keep in mind that every. single. year. we get the supposedly stunning scoop that “someone important will die”, and it’s never been a lead character. Ever.

Please don’t let one link bait-y non-answer ruffle your feathers, Truebies! All is well in Northman-land.

1. Lin

April 17, 2013 at 8:13 am

All of the main actors that started with the show are signed to a 7 year contract, yet we’ve seen the deaths or departures of several recurring cast members over the years. No one is safe from being killed off or leaving the show, so to say that Skarsgard will not be killed off just because of his contract is misleading to the viewers. It depends more on the storyline and whether the writers/producers see a reason to write a character out of the show.

April 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

Then it’s a good thing I didn’t say that the contract was the ONLY issue, right? Also, a recurring character is not the same as a lead character.

We’re not out to mislead our readers, we’ll leave that to Ausiello. ;-)

• scribeninja

April 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

It’s also clear that who dies and lives in the books doesn’t matter at all on the show. They aren’t following them anymore anyway. That said, I don’t believe they will be killing him off. Just not for the reasons in this post.

April 17, 2013 at 8:44 am

None of the actors who signed 7-year contracts have been written off the show – Anna, Stephen, Alex, Rutina, Nelsan (his original contract was extended), Ryan, and Sam. Michael Raymond James (Rene) had a 1-year contract; the rest of the leads are still the leads.

• scribeninja

April 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Yes, but the characters can still be killed off at any time. Having a contract for that long doesn’t mean it will last that long. All it illustrates is that he is considered a main character. But again, I don’t think the writers are stupid enough to kill off a massive fan favorite. I also believe all this rumor crap originated from an April Fool’s joke.

April 17, 2013 at 9:03 am

No, a contract doesn’t 100% mean a character is safe for the term of the contract, but it’s a contract for a reason: there is a significant cost involved if a series terminates a contract before it expires. I’d say we can be 99.99% certain Eric is safe.

2. Carrie

April 17, 2013 at 8:21 am

Lin has a good point about the contract. That said, producers DO take popularity of characters into account. Sylar on Heroes was supposed to die at the end of season 1, but was so popular the writers didn’t want to risk alienating the fan base. I see the same thing happening here. The only way I see him meeting the True Death would be either in the series finale, or in the episodes leading up to that.

That said, I still think that whole “Eric Northman dying” rumor is out of the blue and so far nothing that has been suggested plot-wise would point to his True Death. If anything, the one I think is up for that is Bill. I guess we’ll find out either way soon enough!

April 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

Plus we get this “OMG someone will DIE!!!!!” “scoop” every season. And they do, just not the leads.

3. Mani

April 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

Joe Said” People will die” but Eric is not “people” he is vampire. For me the word people in this show refer to humans.

• Daniela

April 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Maybe will be Sam…

4. Sarah

April 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

I rolled my eyes so hard when I read that article. Thanks for this, hopefully lots of worried people will see it !

5. Niecey

April 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

If the vampire Viking god goes, so do I.

• Kathryn

June 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I totally agree he is the only reason why i watch true blood

6. Ka

April 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I think it’s jason.He may be turned into a vampire

7. Sookieeleana

April 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I live in the UK so I hadn’t even seen this story. Maybe the guy just needs more hits on his site.

I am as confident as I can be that Eric will survive both the TV series and the books :)

8. Shalini

April 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Just to play devil’s advocate, what is stopping them from killing Eric off and just using him in dreams, flashbacks or as a hallucination in the 7th season.

It’s not like he hasn’t been used in that context before…

9. missericlover

April 17, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Cant be true! he loves the show. plus he so valuable to the series. I wont be believe it thank you for putting my mind to ease. as said above if he goes i go. he & sookie together are the only reason to watch the show.
    oh just a thought. Eric Northman, the spin off.

10. Betty

April 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

The only reason Eric could probly be killed off is if Alex left the show and he has said he really loves it. The cast and crew are like family. If Eric died that would pretty much be the end of True Blood.

11. Debi

April 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I read somewhere that Anna Camp was saying there are some tears at the table reads. Makes me wonder who could cause such a sad departure. Maybe a lead is ready to move on…Alex’s movie career is doing well. Joe’s doing a lot of talking about TB…packmasters don’t last too long either. Might not be a lead, but remember how sad it was when Hoyt left. Besides, would a vamp get a funeral…makes me think of Russell and his compote of goo.

I could not take the final Sookie book and the death of Eric in the span of a few months!

12. brandon

April 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm

better not kill my lala either, I might sound silly hear but I kinda want some sort of redemption for bill…

13. morin

April 18, 2013 at 1:48 am

Thanks gor the information although im worry and got the feel that Eric storyline will be very small this season cause Alex was Barely on the set…

• media_savant

April 18, 2013 at 8:19 am

Are you someone that works or worked on set this season?

April 18, 2013 at 9:39 am

Huh? Alex has been working regularly on set.

14. Jenn

April 18, 2013 at 8:22 am

I wonder if Bill will get killed off and Stephen Moyer stays with the show as a director…just a thought!

15. theladykt

April 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Huge fan Favorite is an understatment. Eric is the main reason MOST of us watch it. The show would surely die without him.

16. Whitney

April 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Ok that headline on your site gave my heart a jump start. That’s just not right to toy with Eric Northman fans. Tvline not you guys, to clarify. Thank u for clearing that up!

17. TeaAna

April 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Haha- what a huge jump to turn that “evidence” into Eric dying. Since Joe said it and is highly into his were plot line right now… His table read mates could easily die off without disturbing any of the main characters.

Hehe – someone up there mentioned a possible April Fool’s joke… I don’t believe that it was (it was done to get the attention, of course) BUT – it should have been… it would have been hilarious!

18. morin

April 19, 2013 at 1:29 am

At list i hope hell be major part of this season…with sookie or without her

19. Holly

April 20, 2013 at 3:58 am

I love Eric. I really hope the rumor is BS. I can’t stand Bill. I’d be perfectly fine with him being killed off. :)

• Morin

April 20, 2013 at 5:23 am

I liked Bill at the begining of season 5 but most of the seasons (especially on s2) i couldnt stand him…As i said before i hope that well get a good Eric and Sokkie story line. maybe hell finde a new love

20. eloradannen

April 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’m not tryin to argue or anything, but are you sure Alex had a 7 year contract? Because I had always heard he had a 6 year contract which would mean it was up this year.

But anyway I am not too worried about the rumor. The only way I can see it happening is that if he wants to leave and we haven’t seen anything yet that tells us that. He is too popular, they just wouldn’t kill him off for no reason.

21. Nicole

April 21, 2013 at 5:23 am

I’m sorry for asking but does a 7 year contract mean 7 seasons? Thanks for this post. I hope Alex loves True Blood enough to stay for awhile.

April 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

A 7 year contract means that if HBO orders 7 seasons of the show, then those actors who have contracts for that length of time are contracted to work on those seasons.

• rosmunda

April 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm

To be precise, it means the actors have to be available to work on those seasons if the script requires them to.. But the show can hypotetically decide to write out an actor even if the contract hasn’t run out. Not that I think they’d ever get rid of Eric, but just saying.

Also, to my knowledge the standard 7 year contract actually translates into 6 seasons because it covers all the production time before the forst season etc. That’s what I read, but I’m not sure 100%…

April 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Yes, the actors have to be available to work – i.e. they have jobs for those seasons and are paid accordingly. If a show decides to write someone out before their contract expires, financial compensation is required and there’s a possibility of a breach of contract lawsuit (see Charlie Sheen vs. Two and a Half Men).

• trish

April 22, 2013 at 3:56 am

The Charlie Sheen thing was different because he had just renegotiated his contract for a specific number of episodes, and also, he sued because he claimed the reasons weren’t fair and he was being denied royalties etc… so not a standard case.

For normal seven years contracts, yep they CAN drop you if they want.
            See here:

22. Rina

April 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Since a show like True Blood would plan to write out characters alll the time, I’m sure the actors’ contracts include a clause for that. Frankly, I don’t think TV actors are ever guaranteed a job. Their character could be killed off at any time for the sake of the story. Also the show can be canceled at any time if the network decides to dump it, and then everyone involved with the show is out of a job. It’s a risky business. However, I don’t think TB will be killing off Eric Northman any time soon. He’s too important to the story. If Alex’s contract expires before the show ends, I’m sure they’ll offer him more money rather than lose him.

23. Hlyustov Evgenii

April 23, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Look as managed with Eric’s father. To the last series it appeared spirit. And still him again killed. As it isn’t ridiculous, but the vampire died two times.

24. Miranda

May 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I think this whole Eric rumour was just to get attention. They can’t be that stupid to kill Eric off. He is one of the most important characters and the most popular of the show. If he dies they will definitely be losing fans. Hope it’s not Jason but considering that he’s on a mission to kill Warlow and sees the ghosts of his parents makes me wonder where they are going with his story this season. His death would definitely be a very sad loss of a main character.

25. Jelica

May 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Well, put it this way: IF they DO ”kill” Eric, they’ll lose money (if you know what I mean). I read somewhere before the fifth season started that Alex signed 6 season contract and the final season will be season 7 but . . . with True Blood, you never know. I do believe in this season at least two characters from the first season will be ”killed” and my assumption is Jason and Pam (Oh God, please don’t).

26. Lynna

May 20, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I read in several interviews with him that he signed a six year contract. Fingers crossed that they extended it! I can’t imagine that they would kill off such a fan favorite, but I guess we never really know. There will be a lot of people biting their nails during the sixth episode, without a doubt.

27. mandyren

June 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm

If the vampire Viking god goes, so do I.
    Eric Northman is so important in TB, lots of funs would leave if he died.
    He must live untill the end of TB.
    Maybe it sounds resonable that Bill will die in S06.
    Never mind, just kidding.

28. PolishPeasant

June 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm

So, this was reassuring in April, but recent reports have quotes from castmembers about crying at the table reads and a MAJOR player dying off–Chris Bauer says something along the lines of “working with someone for so long”…Any reassuring words to make me feel better that it ISN’T Eric on the chopping block?

June 14, 2013 at 5:24 pm

He was still working on set, as Eric, during filming of the final episode of the season. Does that help?

29. Elizabeth

August 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hmmm so now that eric caught fire and is not seen in the six month after math…wonder if he is or is not dead and his contract will cover flash backs