SPOILERS: Sneak Peek at DEAD EVER AFTER {UPDATED}

As we count down the days until the release of Dead Ever After, we’re getting antsy for news – any news! – about the book. Reader KayCee4711 was able to access the prologue and first chapter via Dutch iTunes (yay for international fans!) and shared some teasers with us.

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!

• Copley Carmichael and his chauffeur Tyrese sell their soul to the Devil. Tyrese gets what he wants, but pays a grave price. Copley gets tricked by the Devil and doesn’t get what he wants. He asked the Devil to look for the Cluviel-dor. The Devil finds it, but he cannot take it since it’s already been used by Sookie to save Sam. Copley gets mad that the Devil tricked him and asks him to get rid of Sookie. The Devil doesn’t comply and Copley gets even madder – and a certain round bellied gentleman noticed him. Maybe Mr. Cataliades?
  • There’s a short scene where a medium-sized man meets up with a certain Christian man – maybe Steve Newlin and the Devil?
  • Chapter 1 starts off with Sookie waking up and Sam lying on a chaise lounge in her backyard. He seems confused and not entirely himself. It is implied that this could be the cost of the cluviel-dor – maybe he lost a part of his personality or maybe his twoey-nature?
  • Sookie’s garden is in full bloom – hence the cover of the book. Why this is so important or relevant isn’t explained.
  • Last part of chapter one is about a red-haired female coming out of jail – Arlene? – and being approached by the medium-sized man (a.k.a. the Devil?)
  • No mention of Eric in these first bits – just this sentence “I waited to hear… from anyone. But the phone didn’t ring. I heard a lot of nothing. I had a lot of nothing.” And because Sookie’s garden is in full bloom, she put a bouquet in every room in her house, on Gran’s grave, and on Bill’s porch.

Thanks, KayCee4711! Dead Ever After arrives in bookstores Tuesday, May 7.

Updated 04.23.13: Penguin has now posted the entire prologue on their site. Proceed at your own risk!

1. Kaycee

April 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm

For more spoilers follow the thread on: http://www.amazon.com/Prologue-Chapter-1-SPOILERS/forum/FxFTJOHVZX8HP4/Tx3VGT0HOXHBW6E/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=193700788X

2. Gail

April 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I can hardly wait till the book is available, but I will probably cry at the end since it is the last Sookie Stackhouse book. :-(

3. Rebecca S

April 24, 2013 at 5:36 am

I get the impression that this last one is going to be quite angsty, with all the worms coming out of the woodwork to come and get Sookie. Also her and Eric need to get their heads out of their backsides and talk to each other.

4. debi

April 25, 2013 at 12:27 am

I heard the ending has been leaked. I am not surprised with ending…and look forward to seeing how CH gets Sookie to that point! I wish they’d just send my book now!

5. jojo

April 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

There is also a book that comes on in Oct 2013 (I believe) called After Dead – What came next in the world of Sookie Stackhouse.

Here is what Amazon has for details: Dead Ever After marked the end of the Sookie Stackhouse novels—a series that garnered millions of fans and spawned the hit HBO television show True Blood. It also stoked a hunger that will never die…a hunger to know what happened next.

With characters arranged alphabetically—from the Ancient Pythoness to Bethany Zanelli—bestselling author Charlaine Harris takes fans into the future of their favorite residents of Bon Temps and environs. You’ll learn how Michele and Jason’s marriage fared, what happened to Sookie’s cousin Hunter, and whether Tara and JB’s twins grew up to be solid citizens.

This coda provides the answers to your lingering questions—including details of Sookie’s own happily-ever-after…

The book will feature extensive interior art by acclaimed Sookie artist Lisa Desimini, including a Sookieverse Alphabet, color endpapers, and several full-page black and white interior illustrations.

April 26, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yep, we posted about that a couple months ago. Looking forward to adding it to the collection!

6. Sherrie W.

April 28, 2013 at 5:36 pm

My favorite Sookie Stackhouse book is Dead to the World. I have to confess that I would rather see Sookie with Alcede or Sam, but I did like seeing the softer side of Eric as a character, and how (I assume) he was before he was turned. I didn’t like Eric as a character before this book, and this made him tolerable (especially considering he has been Sookie’s lover through most of the books).