New True Blood Showrunner Says Season 6 Will Tell More Human Stories

Rolling Stone has a Q&A with True Blood executive producer, writer, and new showrunner Brian Buckner about what to expect from season 6, premiering June 16. He reveals that the show will tell the human side of stories and teases the death of a principal character, a more mature Sookie, shifting character relationships, redemption, and appreciating Alan Ball. It’s really a terrific read. Here’s an excerpt:

Without giving away any spoilers, what secrets of the new season can you reveal?
I can tell you, because I believe it’s already out there, that you will see both Steve and Sarah Newlin, in a meaningful way. [Pauses] One of our principal characters will not make it all the way through the season. In television, because of the pace of what we do, who these actors are, they inform the characters that they’re playing. Because Anna [Paquin, who plays Sookie Stackhouse] is changing in her life – because she’s a mother now – we’re trying to make a more grown-up Sookie, a less naive Sookie. A Sookie who knows when she needs help and isn’t always saying, “I can do it myself.” And a darker Sookie, honestly. Someone who’s a little bit more eyes-open to the world and self-aware.

[Read the full interview here…]

1. Rina

June 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Great interview. Thanks.

2. Jacqueline

June 10, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Okay kids, so who’s going to go? Who might he be referring to? My guesses are Arlene, Terry, Jason, Andy….. (I think it’s a given Luna won’t make it into ep. 2, if you read between the lines of the brief spoilers, and her interview a while back,) But none of them are really principals… What about Jessica? Hummm… Now there’s a thought. Maybe that will begin to restore Bill’s humanity? (Okay, I’m calling that one now!) Possibly Alcide, but that’s kind of a long shot with the emphasis on the weres… Let the guessing begin!

3. Jacqueline

June 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

On second thought, I’m starting to think Pam, maybe Tara…

4. Roman

June 11, 2013 at 3:11 am

I’m already bummed. This looks interesting but Dan Fienberg, a credible tv critic, has already trashed the first three episodes and said they’re awful. If I’m not mistaken, Mark was the showrunner for the first three episodes, then Brian took over after that. I wonder if there will be a change?

June 11, 2013 at 9:48 am

On the other hand, Variety’s critic says this season is “bolstered” and on “surer footing” than in seasons past. It’s all subjective. *shrug*

• Roman

June 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I probably shouldn’t have posted that here. Dan is a guy who has always kind of hated the show. He put the first season number one on his list of worst shows of 2008. The only season he liked was the second. We’ll just see for ourselves how it is.

• susbraska

June 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

Feh to “critics”. I am certain ‘True Blood’ will be fantastic, as usual. Superior writers, directors, music and cast! Period.

5. Liz

June 11, 2013 at 9:19 am

I tend to not listen to so called “credible tv critics”. Most of the time I don’t agree with them so I’ve learned to just make up my own mind about a show. Many that critics have praised have been rather sour for me.

That being said, it sounds to me like this is going to be a very interesting season and a great one. I’m very excited to see what Brian brings to the show as showrunner. As much as I love Alan Ball and admire his work, I’m looking forward to something fresh.

• Tigerlily_swirl

June 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

Liz, I agree 100%! I couldn’t care less what critics or anyone else says about a movie, TV series, book, or anything else. I like to check things out for myself, either I love it, think it’s okay, or hate it. Regardless of what I think, I am the one who dictates how I feel and not some person who just wants to be heard or feel important.

I plan to watch this season with an open mind, like I have with past seasons. Sunday is not coming fast enough, I am really looking forward to S6.

6. Jacqueline

June 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Worst /funniest review I ever read? Some guy from EW said that Rock Star with Tom Cruise was ‘Oscar Worthy’…. Huh. ‘Nuff said. (That movie was so bad, it made Ed Woods Plan 9 From Outer Space look like a work of Shakesphere.)

7. Sookieeleana

June 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Nice to hear from the new show-runner. I see that he has written episode 9. Liz/Mel is there any word yet on who has written the finale?

Interesting that when asked a question about Bill/Sookie/Eric he doesn’t mention Eric in his response. I guess that could mean 1 of 2 things. Either Eric and Sookie will be together at some point this season and its top secret, or the writers want us to forget about Eric and Sookie and they are going to be heading their separate ways. So not very helpful really lol.

8. Sookieeleana

June 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’m sorry – it might be just me – but I can’t really read the comments anymore due to the background color. Can we make all the comments on a white background????

• esw45

June 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Sookieleana I have the same problem reading the comments on this background color….it needs to be white or a lighter color. I read tbe same thing about Buckner not saying anything about bill/Sooki/eric and I still believe sookie and “real” Eric will get together because I still find it hard to fathom that Sookie’s only boyfriend ever would be just Bill on true blood. We will find out

June 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm

The comments are on a light background on my computer. It’s the same color as the article background above, sort of a beige.

• Sookieeleana

June 12, 2013 at 2:17 am

For me the comments are written really thinly in black on the red background that covers the whole blog. It just changed to this, I used to be able to read them ok 🙁

June 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’ve looked at the comments on two different browsers and I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, Sookieeleana. I’ve got black text on a light background, like it’s always been.

• Sher

June 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I get the red background when I try and read them on the phone. When on the website – it’s good.

9. laney

June 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I’m thinking the death will be Luna for sure. I can’t really imagine that any of the principals who have been part of the show since the beginning will be killed off….. Can you imagine True Blood without Eric? Or Bill, etc….etc… And since Martha will be pressuring Sam and NOT Luna about Emma’s future, that seems the most likely. Also, if one of the principals like Eric or Bill etc were to bite the dust, it would be kept SO under wraps for sure.

10. Melissa

June 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I would say Luna for sure, if she lives that would completely be a surprise. I really don’t think they will kill off Eric. I really can’t see that happening. That would be a major blow to the show and for many of the fans it would affect their viewership. I hate to say it, but I’m afraid its going to be Jessica, especially with the trailers we have seen for this season. And I hate to see that happen. I always enjoyed the Bill and Jessica scenes so much. For that matter, I hate to think of them killing off any major characters, because they bring their own charm to the show.

• Jacqueline

June 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I agree. We watched her ‘grow up’, and have an attachment to her. But it might be the catalyst to bring Bill back around. I’m thinking either her, Tara or Pam.

• Jacqueline

June 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I really, really hope it isn’t Lafeyette…. THAT might impact my viewership, lol!

11. Rina

June 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

With so many principal characters, it’s hard to decide who will be killed off. It can be a human character. Also I don’t ever pay attention to TV critics. Most of them are not fans of the show and don’t watch it consistently. They just skim thru the first 3 episodes of TB when HBO sends them out for reviews and vomit up their first reaction online. Nothing they ever wrote helped me understand the show.