Recap 6.1 True Blood “Who Are You, Really?”

Jessica: “Is that Bill?”
Sookie: “Not any more.”

You can tell it’s a True Blood premiere. Everybody really needed a shower.

This episode had an emphasis on really strange families, or more accurately, supernatural family groups. Eric’s vampire family sort of pulled together, until they didn’t. Nora acting like a “super irritating” big sister and top sergeant didn’t endear her to anyone, and Tara wasn’t ready to say “yes, sir” and follow orders. I hope that doesn’t mean her love affair with Pam is over.

I thought at first that Eric’s family was sort of adopting the sort of orphaned Jessica, right until her heart was nearly pulled out of her. Why did Jessica stay with Bill? Is she just being smart, making him think she’s an obedient progeny and on his side because she knows he has the ultimate power over her? And what exactly is Bill? First he was the Terminator but covered with blood, and then he was like the old Bill who just accidentally acquired telekinesis and the ability to fly. I thought Bill tucking Jessica into bed was sad, like an echo of their previous relationship.

Sookie seemed to be taking the loss of Bill philosophically. But then again, she’s been through so much that she probably can’t deal with one more thing, which was undoubtedly why she rescinded Eric’s invitation right after he deeded her house back to her. (Really, Sookie. Is that Southern hospitality? What would Gran say?) At least he still loves her, and she definitely feels something if she was willing to stake Billith to save him. It would certainly be nice if the True Blood Powers That Be gave the Sookie/Eric shippers a little something this season, since we got freaking zip last summer.

The family theme continued with the wolf pack, who appear to like their new packmaster parties with some tasty cannibalism followed by an orgy. At least we got all that with some Joe Manganiello nudity. And at least Martha is still around to conveniently take custody of her werewolf granddaughter, since Luna is dead. Too bad. I liked Luna. Poor Sam.

Luna masquerading as Steve Newlin and shifting on live television just might have repercussions. Since the governor of Louisiana just pulled a Nazi Germany on the vampires, can the shifters and werewolves be far behind? Pam just lost Fangtasia. Will Sam lose Merlotte’s, too? And there’s a statewide vampire curfew. What next? Supes in concentration camps?

Finally, Jason, if you’re walking by the side of the road, and Rutger Hauer pulls over to pick you up, you don’t get in the car! I guess Bill as a wild card isn’t enough, so we now have Warlow, another weird all powerful being whose true nature is unknown. I like Rutger Hauer. He was The vampire in the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Could be fun.

Bits and pieces:

— Vampire families, wolf packs, and now we have a “litter of alien babies”. And poor Andy hasn’t taken a “poop class”. Good thing Arlene was there in a pinch.

— Sookie can apparently use her hand as a flashlight now.

— I kept thinking of the movie Kill Bill. Do you think Bill will make it through the season?

— Dan and I were talking after the episode, and we decided that if they kill off either Eric or Jessica this season, we’re dropping the show. πŸ™‚ Smilie face, but seriously.

Quotes:

Jason: “At least he’s flying over us like a naked evil Superman.”
No, not a coincidence at all, considering what opened in the movie theaters this week.

Pam: “Who the fuck is Mary Poppins, and can I please kill her?”

Pam: “I hate the beach. Fish piss and sand in your cooch.”
That reminded me of a quote by W.C. Fields. “I never drink water because of the disgusting things fish do in it.”

Pam: “Whatever Billith is, he’s not worth dying for.”

Arlene: “… and most importantly, Purell Purell Purell, before and after.”

Lafayette: “That’s the sickest thing I’ve seen in TV. And I watch Dance Moms.”
I’d never heard of Dance Moms. It’s a real show. Live and learn.

Lafayette: “You want something deep fried, dipped in sugar, and fried all over again?”
That was so sweet, pun intended. I love Lafayette. Please give him a good storyline this season?

Jason: “My sister, she’d have me hauled off to the Bunny Ranch and put in one of them strait jackets.”

Definitely a jam-packed and fun-to-watch season premiere, and probably three werewolf orgies out of four. Although, True Blood producers, can I repeat what I said about earlier about Eric and Jessica?

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and friends review a lot of their favorite shows at Doux Reviews, a community of fans who love TV.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. esw45

June 17, 2013 at 2:31 am

Hi Billie, Great recap as usual, I think we will revisit the invite to Sookie’s house by the finale and Eric will be invited in…..Billith is scary because he has powers that he can’t control and I believe actions he can’t control as well. But Bill did this to himself because he loves power and drank that blood which he shouldn’t have. I do think Niall is Warlow because I have been saying that Warlow is a hybrid of Vampire and faerie…but we will see. Tara needs to change her attitiude about Eric because he will save her next week….because he does believe in family loyalty. Nora i still don’t like or trust and her telling Eric that his weakness is Sookie could mean trouble down the line, i predict she will probably turn on Eric and use his love of Sookie against him.

2. Eva

June 17, 2013 at 7:05 am

I hope that Bill is the person they kill off this season. I hate the “Billith” story line. I agree if they kill Eric off I will no longer be watching its the only reason I stick around. Warlow Lillith’s progeny really?! Nora got a little too excited about learning that Eric loves her I know down the season that will cause trouble. True Blood writers please listen to the fans make this season eerie and creepy like season 1 and 2 and please please give us some Sookie and Eric. Oh and please bring Luna back!

3. Tigerlily_swirl

June 17, 2013 at 9:22 am

I enjoyed last night’s premiere, however, I am scared to watch the rest of the season since I (we, my BF and I) seriously believe that they may kill Jessica off. I’m praying that it doesn’t happen, but when they showed snippets from the rest of the season (after S6E1) I am worried that Jess may die because of she has something to do with harming Andy’s half-Fae daughters. I hope I am wrong about this, but I guess I will have to wait and see. If they kill off Eric, Pam, Tara, Lala, Sam, or Jess I will most likely stop watching (prob only at first, lol).

Please someone disagree with what I said, you know, to put my mind at ease!!!!

4. megan

June 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

I loved this episode. Stephen did a great job directing it. It was a good start to the season also. My favorite part about this episode had to have been when Eric was walking Sookie home though. It was so sweet, especially when he said, ” you’ll still just be the girl in the white dress that walked into my bar “. I hated how she recinded his invite though. He seemed to understand though and still love her. Great episode though. I hope that they don’t kill him off! He’s my favorite character. I don’t know if I could continue watching without seeing Eric on the show.

5. Madeleine

June 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

Great recap (as usual) how I missed that πŸ˜‰ Thank you!

But giving Jason advise seems kind of futile … honestly, will he ever get a clue?
    I don’t like Billith (I’m sorry, Stephen is a great guy, but Billith? I mean, unstake-able – really?), I wouldn’t mind losing the crazy goddess-gone-male.
    Good to see Pam still has her punch (love her), as well as Lafayette. Hopefully they will get some air-time this year, as much as they deserve tht is.
    Luna – kind of anticipated her death, she was in such a bad shape last time.
    A crazy governor, Billith, Warlow, Luna outed the Shifters, baby-alarm … all in one episode, and we haven’t seen anything of the good old reverent – how are they going to pack that all into just nine remaining episodes?

• Madeleine

June 17, 2013 at 10:44 am

Oh and – did anybody wonder what Eric needed light for? Shouldn’t he be perfectly capable to see in the dark? Just wondering ….

June 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Not the pitch dark. I think vampires can see in the dark a little better than humans, but still need ambient light (moon, stars). There was no light penetrating that elevator once the power went out.

• Madeleine

June 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Hmmm, how do they get around in a moonless night, when the stars are hidden behind a thick layer of clouds?

June 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

There’s still ambient light from civilization, etc. Or maybe in this case, he wanted Sookie to feel more comfortable so he pretended like he needed the light. Not sure why it matters.

• Elisha_Q

June 18, 2013 at 3:38 am

I think it was more to show that Sookie can control her microwave fingers.

• Madeleine

June 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

I think so too πŸ˜‰ I just would’ve preferred that demonstration in a different context (you know what I mean?)

• Elisha_Q

June 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

Like trying to microwave Bill / Billith? : )

June 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

Why? To what purpose? What does it matter? Of all the things to discuss from the first episode of the season, you land on that?

6. Rina

June 17, 2013 at 11:20 am

Great recap, Billie.

7. Nightstalker

June 17, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Sookie-Eric. Seriously ? Is that all TB’s about ? And what’s this hate about Billith ? They had to keep the ball rolling and if it takes a “crazy goddess-gone-male” as a governor so be it. Besides it makes for an “interesting” Bill as opposed to the earlier “brooding Mr.Compton” who could do nothing but whine. The fact that he worked his way to power reveals his dirty side.

He’s a schemer. He’s also a God. Simply put, that’s scary. Bill is smart. He is a greater threat than Russell who once acknowledged, “Either Mr.Compton is a gentleman or he is very very smart”. An irritating enemy like Mary-Ann or Marnie.

Mr.Compton may be a smartass but Eric is one hell of a badass viking πŸ˜€

8. Elisha_Q

June 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Sookie should’ve asked more questions about what was the role of Warlow in the vamp bible, and how stupid was Jason to tell all to a complete stranger.

9. hello

June 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

You guys are going to hate me for saying that i did not like the episode I think true blood needs Alan Ball back. The three way that was pointless i know True Blood is about vampires and wolfs which will bound to lead to sex but that scene was just showing me a sex scene with no point to it. I love True Blood and always will but they need to get rid of their newest writers and if they kill Eric or Pam or Jason then I think there will be little reason to do another season.

this is my opinion and I know people will hate me so sorry x

• Elisha_Q

June 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

Cause there were zero pointless sex scenes in previous seasons ? πŸ˜€ Oh, and who would hate you for expressing your opinion πŸ™‚

June 18, 2013 at 11:17 am

The point of that threesome was Alcide’s power as Packmaster + endorphins from the coup that had just taken place.

June 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

This is a no hate zone so no worries! As a matter of fact the showrunners did change hands once again after the first three episodes.

• hello

June 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

thank you Liz. I know the sex scene was about power but the bj was what was pointless to me.

10. Madeleine

June 18, 2013 at 12:01 pm

@Liz : What’s wrong with landing on that? Did I do something to offend anybody?
    I was just wondering if it wouldn’t make more sense to be the flashlight for a human? Considering Vampires have been around since looong before electricity provided ambient light? It’s just a thought I’m expressing, others like to talk threesomes and the value of such a scene.

• T

June 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Madeleine. I’ve visited this site for some time now (though I’ve never posted a comment) and I’ve always noticed that the moderators tend to get snarky if they don’t agree with your viewpoint or feel like it’s irrelevant. That shouldn’t matter — we’re here to discuss anything and everything, no matter how minute. πŸ™‚

June 20, 2013 at 6:52 am

This is what you unlurked for? C’mon T, join the discussion with something relevant! What did you think about the episode?

11. Nightstalker

June 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm

“In season six, actor Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) will play Sookie and Jason’s great-grandfather and the fairy prince, Niall Brigant.”

(source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/true-blood-season-6-photos-520744#17-niall-brigant)

So, Warlow is a vamp and NOT a faerie right ? :S

June 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

We still don’t know if Warlow and Niall are one and the same.

12. Will

June 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I really enjoyed the episode and like that there are three unknown, potential big bads shaping up: the Governor, Bill, and Warlow. Although, of those three, Warlow is the only one I’m dying to find out about. I have to imagine there is going to be a showdown between him and Bill. I am interested to see how Andy and his fairy brood is going to turn out too.

On the negative side, Nora is super annoying. I don’t like her at all. The werewolves are…boring to be honest. I wish there was more to them like some could turn into wolf monsters instead of just plain old wolves. Anywho, looking forward to the rest of the season.

13. Georgina Alana Smith

June 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I just watched the first episode and I have to say it was everything I was wanting and more…I found Warlow really creepy and I hope Jason’s ok….I hate to say it as I know I will probably get a lot of slack but I’m glad that Luna isn’t around anymore, I never found the relationship between her and Sam believable….I was shocked by Alcide’s behaviour, when did he turn into a cheating douchebag?! I was urging Sookie and Eric to kiss at the end but it never happened….And as for Bill…Well, I REALLY don’t know what’s going on there at all….Needless to say I can’t wait for the next episode….Great recap! πŸ™‚ x

14. CindyJo

June 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I was delighted to see that Bill had washed up, but I wondered where his huge fangs went? They didn’t look as big as they did when he first rose out of the blood. And what made him calm down? He seemed to be out of control, destroying the vampire headquarters, then suddenly he is very calm, sitting on his porch. Not used to him overpowering Eric like that, that will take some getting used to.
    Very nice scene with Sookie and Eric at her house, but I was very surprised when she rescinded her invitation. And it appears from previews that Bill can enter her house, whether she likes it or not.
    I have loved Rutger Hauer since Nighthawks in the 80s, so I will greatly enjoy seeing him this season. In the live show, 15 minutes before the episode, did anyone else hear the cast say that it is a human who dies…..the major character we lose this season is a human, or maybe I heard that wrong. Is there any way to watch that again?
    I loved the episode and can’t wait for more.

• CindyJo

June 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm

OK – I watched the live show again on demand and when they are talking about which scenes made you cry, they say that this season takes a big toll on the humans, and one actor cried during a reading of the script, and then the other actors started crying. So maybe that is a clue that it is a human we lose this season.

15. debbie

June 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Is it just me, or anyone else having difficulty reading the comments with the red background and black print? I wonder if I can change it somehow.

• Velvet

June 18, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Yes, I can’t see anything at all! I just went to highlight all (ctrl + a).

June 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm

It’s not just you. We’re aware of the issue and are trying to figure out what changed and how to fix it. Until then, try Velvet’s solution of Ctrl + A to highlight the text.

• debbie

June 19, 2013 at 11:53 am

Thanks so much for changing it. I absolutely loved the episode. I think the Billith story line is really interesting and its fun to watch him be the villain for a change. One of the future episode descriptions talks about Bill wanting to synthesize a new type of blood and I wonder if somehow this is linked to his ability to walk in the sun (or so it seems by the clips), and maybe the new blood will let all vamps do the same. I know I’m jumping out on a limb, but just a thought!

16. Traci West

June 18, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I think Lillith is alive. Why?

Bill drank only a small amount of Lillith’s blood-the equivalent of, perhaps, a quarter can of soda-and is impervious to death by stake and fire (and sunlight, if the teaser at the end of the episode is any indication). Now, Bill is a comparatively young vampire; if it has just become exponentially more difficult to kill him, how can Lillith be dead? Granted, I doubt any vampire would survive being decapitated, but I also doubt that Lillith would have allowed anyone that close, even in ancient times.

Also I recall reading (in TV Guide, I believe) that Bill is not a god; rather, he is a prophet. A prophet has two functions: he speaks for his deity, as with the Old Testament prophets; or he prepares the way for the coming of his deity, as with John the Baptist and Jesus. We know that Lillith can, for lack of a better term, astrally project herself and communicate; the way in which she appears to the members of the Authority, both individually and as a group, seems to bear this out.

This is my theory: that in the far-distant past, Lillith became grievously wounded; so much so, that her primitive enemies thought they had killed her. After being transported to a place of safety by one of her progeny (Warlow, perhaps?), but before sinking into a state of torpor, she instructed him to take and preserve some of her blood. With the powers I’ve mentioned above, this would give her a chance to watch and wait for the best opportunity to return. So she is most likely awake, but too weak to leave her tomb or whatever she’s imprisoned in.

And what does she want? I think she wants for vampires to rule the world, the way they used to. Humans will hold no kind of power; they will be farmed for sustenance by their vampire masters. Since we now have almost 7 billion humans on the planet, there is no real chance that the blood would run out if the vampires are smart. This season, for Bill at least, is Lillith doing her best to twist his mind so her plan sounds “faaaanTASTIC!” (Sorry, Russell Edginton fans!)

So, what do you think? If you think I’m full of it, please say so kindly! πŸ˜‰

• Madeleine

June 19, 2013 at 12:13 am

I think it’s a very interesting theory. πŸ˜‰
      But being wounded doesn’t affect Vampires much, or better they recover pretty quickly from pretty gruesome injuries.
      Considering Lilith is the first, therefore oldest and strongest Vampire I’m thinking along the line of ‘hybernation’ of sorts.
      Maybe she got tired of humanity (after a few thousand years) and entombed herself, leaving Warlow with her blood to wake her.
      Then he was banned (to wherever) and could not fulfil his duty. Bill drinking her blood could have that effect, maybe it’s even related to Warlow breaking free.
      If Lilith indeed would be alive she could summon Bill, strip him of his new powers, or the effect of her blood could wear of …. so many possibilities, I like that.

17. Dia

June 19, 2013 at 3:36 pm

We’re my eyes deceiving me, or did I see 3 different Liliths take over Bill at the very end?

June 20, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yes! What was that all about? I don’t really think there were three different Liliths. Perhaps three images that she projected? That might be an explanation, right?

• Madeleine

June 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

Maybe it was a illustration of three new abilities Bill gained with drinking her blood :
        – visions
        – telekinesis
        – “daywalking” (perhaps)
        or something along the line, to visualize his change.

• Madeleine

June 20, 2013 at 9:40 am

Sorry, I forgot :
          Didn’t Bill mention in his first interview with Dieter Braun the Vampires believe God was a Vampire? So maybe it’s a reference to the Holy Trinity?

June 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Yes, according to the vampire Bible, God was/is a vampire. (That got some fans pretty upset last season!) Lilith projecting herself 3 times could be a reference to the Trinity, but I think she was just screwing with Bill’s mind. And ours.