Recap 6.3 True Blood “You’re No Good”

Sookie: “You’re not God, Bill. You’re just an asshole.”

How cute was that Eric-and-Willa-in-a-kingsize-coffin scene, with the finger-sucking and all?

Maybe I don’t want Eric with Sookie after all. Maybe I just want a whole lot of Eric. And his semi-disobedient progeny, and Jessica. They’re without a doubt the best part of the series these days, and probably ever. I’m glad Eric didn’t kill Willa. He doesn’t have the best track record with things like that. (I’m talking about you, Talbot.)

The whole transparent Nazi metaphor continued. Now we have vampire death camps, which is where Bill’s precog “cylinder of death” must be. Apparently, Bill does still care about his peeps. Maybe Lillith loved all of her vampire subjects, although she did seem a bit careless about setting them against each other.

Bill bursting into flames did have its comical aspects. He does have limitations. Maybe next time he’ll listen to Jessica. I was never a big fan of Bill, and I don’t know how I feel about him any more, so maybe he should go stand in the sunlight. But if he saves all of my favorite vampires from a horrible flamey death, though, I might like him again. A little.  Synthesizing a new formula of Tru Blood from Andy’s fairy halflings, though? At least, seeing Jessica as an uber sexy undercover coed was pretty funny.

While the vampires are the highlight of this show for me, I am liking Niall more with each episode. Loved his cool speedy thing and his CSI hands. But Ben the halfling? Not so much. Sookie can “feel” Ben listening to her mind, which feels like a huge romantic turnoff to me (wasn’t that why Sookie was originally attracted to vampires in the first place, a huge plot point in the series?) but the writers are apparently pushing the Sookie/Ben thing pretty darned hard, anyway. Sorry, but it’s just never ever going to work for me. Don’t the writers know what True Blood fans really want? Seriously?

I’ve noticed how my comments about shifters and werewolves always seem to fall to the bottom of my review. (For me, it’s all about the vampires.) Nicole seems to be warm for Sam, and even though they have a tiny bit of chemistry, it doesn’t feel right to me since Luna just died and I just don’t trust Nicole’s motives. The couple I did enjoy seeing this week was Sam and Lafayette together. That scene where Lafayette talked with Sam about their working relationship was just lovely.

It was obvious that Sam was the owl, but I still enjoyed the Emma-napping scene. The werewolves confronting the cops, though? Not so much. Maybe I was wrong about Emma belonging with her grandmother and the pack. Rikki was outright mean to Emma, and when did Alcide become such an asshole? I was never a big Alcide fan, but at least I used to like him. They’d better fix this. Taking off his clothes, while undeniably enjoyable for the audience, is not enough!

Still haven’t actually seen Warlow the supervamp who can get into a fairy club somehow. Is it someone we know? Hey, what other all-powerful superfast vampire do we know? Okay, kidding, I know it’s not Billith.

Bits and pieces:

— Welcome back, Sarah Newlin! I’m suddenly worried that Steve will shortly be toast. That would be sad.

— Andy’s tween daughters still don’t have names. (Why doesn’t that surprise me?)

— I was sad that we left Fangtasia forever. Maybe it isn’t forever. But I loved seeing Ginger again. She is hilarious.

— Jason’s hallucinations and/or illness is a bit confusing. Hopefully, it will get a bit clearer as the season progresses. (If you understand exactly what’s happening to him, feel free to enlighten me in the comments!)

— Bill can’t survive the sun, but he doesn’t need invitations now. That’s an inconsistent supergift you got there, Bill.

— Fairies turn to dust in this ‘verse, and vampires don’t. That just feels unnatural for a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer like me.

— Andy still wants Holly. I think she’s too good for him.

— Steve and Sarah Newlin used to wear color-coordinated outfits. This time, she was all in red and black, and he was in black and covered with blood. Her hair was practically levitating, too. Which has nothing to do with the color coordination, but I thought it was fun.

— I’m really not into the clothes so much, but can I say how much I love Niall’s outfit? When you think about it, what would an ancient, powerful fairy king wear? That really could be it.

Quotes:

Sookie: “I take regular danger in stride. That way, I’ve still got a real healthy fear inside me for when the shit really hits the fan.”

Eric: “It’s just a bar, Pam.”
Pam: “Not even you believe that.”

Lafayette: “Before you turn into a snake or bear or some shit that I can’t have a conversation with, what insane plan you got cooking in that pretty little head of yours?”

Ginger: “Does mean we’re not fucking?”
Eric: “Sadly, Ginger, no, we will not be fucking on this occasion. However, the night will come when we do, I promise you.”
It’d be fun to see that, and not in a prurient way.  They’re so funny together.

Jason: “The hallucinations are gone. I think.”
Sookie: “You were hallucinating?”
Jason: “Like a motherfucker!”

Jason: “You didn’t wonder why I was acting all crazy and more racist than usual?”

Andy: “Dammit, girls, how many times do I have to tell you? Hand lasers off!”

Sarah: “The truth is, if you really want to do God’s work, you have to be in politics.”

Eric: “It’s okay, Ginger. I understand. You’re stupid.”

I did enjoy this one. What did y’all think?

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and friends review a lot of their favorite shows at Doux Reviews, a community of fans who love TV.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Martin

July 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Could Jason be turning into a panther?

July 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Alcide told Sookie that weres are born, they cannot be made. However, Jason was blasted by the fairies when Russell killed the Fairy Eldar, so I’m sure there are some side effects from that.

• Nothinbutjoy

July 1, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I was just noticing something along this line. Maybe Jason is suffering from fairy light overdose. I’m watching the episode again & noticed the more Sookie practices her Super Nova light ball & Niall zips around, the more pain Jason appears to suffer.

• Madeleine

July 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I don’t think so, it was a while ago that he was bitten, and being a were of any kind is genetic.
      Maybe he just got an overdose of faery light and it doesn’t agree with him, since the gene skipped him.

• Martin

July 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

or the blast of light could be turning him into fae? since he is from the royal bloodline an all. could have triggered something in him. maybe jason could turn out to be a “late bloomer”

• Madeleine

July 2, 2013 at 12:37 am

Without the gene? Seems unlikely (to me). But your observation about Jason being in more pain when Niall uses his power is interesting. In the preview Niall says something about Sookie carrying the fae and therefore being the one who has to be protected.
          That makes me think, Niall is pretty old, this isn’t his realm. What if him using his powers here has a negative effect on related non-fae?

2. CindyJo

July 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I was hoping Eric would get his father’s crown out of Fangtasia, but they didn’t make a point of showing it. Maybe he has it stashed in his cubby at Sookie’s house. Did the governor take all of Pam’s clothes? That’s sad…I liked all her pink stuff.
    I was pleased that Eric did not let Willa taste his blood….he was doing everything he could to get Sookie to ingest it in the past, so that scene helped make the point of how special he thinks she is.
    And Ben could not find the fairy club in time to get slaughtered? Please….I think he led Warlow there. I do not trust Ben at all. And I guess Morella is dead too…sad for the fairy girls, but it doesn’t look like she was going to be a big part of their lives anyway. Nice that they saved Sookie’s part of the family….Hadley and Hunter…..I guess they are royal as well. Well, Hunter anyway. I think the gene skipped Hadley too!
    Even though Bill was horrible to Sookie and Jason in this episode, at least he did not force her to go with him. He let her make the choice, even though he was desperate to have her blood. He showed a good bit of restraint there, and he immediately removed his hands when she said he was hurting her. He was pretty scary and creepy in this episode though.
    I am thinking they may let Nora work with them to get Warlow. It looked like Niall was chasing after her when she took off.
    They are making it look like it will be Jason who dies, but then again they could be leading us down a false path and then shock us.
    I enjoyed Ginger, but is this the first episode in which she has not screamed??

3. Sookieeleana

July 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Great review and I pretty much feel exactly how you do about just about every aspect of the show.

Eric completely ruled the school last night – he is such an amazingly complex character, you can just tell both the writers and Alexander Skarsgard love working with him. I do hope we get to see him back on this throne at Fangtasia one day though 🙁

4. Mel

July 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I think whatever is happening to Jason goes back to when he got zapped outside of Hot Wings at the end of last season, when Russell was killed. Now he’s sensitive to Faerie magic. Even when Sookie was up in her room practicing, he got a headache downstairs.

• Martin

July 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

well ive heard rumors of a main character being killed off this season! If jason is sensitive to sookies magic. And sookie only gets one shot to use her new unique power to kill one vampire. What will happen when she uses it? .. would it end up killing jason too? I mean she has been in some way tied to the death of all her other family members. Is jason next?

• Nothinbutjoy

July 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I agree. I’m thinking he’s suffering from an OD of fairy light.

5. Elle

July 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I’m liking the vampire stuff going on, I’m kind of over the fairy storyline…especially sookie/Ben. Sookies character is kind of ticking me off…when she didn’t help bill I found that crazy especially since she tried to stake him and always uses the “if I meant anything to you” line . It will be interesting to see where this goes. But I really would like bill and sookie together again but I don’t think that’s going to happen

6. rachael

July 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

the whole sookie not being scared about warlow bit made me think about the way Eric could soothe sookie’s emotions in the book. Maybe hes sending her calming, protective thoughts every now and then since she told him she wanted to become that girl again. Sighhhh, I love Eric.

July 2, 2013 at 10:00 am

But she is afraid. She explained all of that to Niall when he asked her why she’s not more afraid of Warlow. Eric is a bit busy right now and I’m sure that Sookie is not even remotely on his mind. It’s a nice sentiment though Rachael! I’m sure we’ll see more of the pair together but this really isn’t a romance show. Romance is part of some of the stories but it’s really not the main focus this season.

7. Granna

July 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I think that just because Alcide says that weres are born and not made, it doesn’t make it so for all weres. That’s just his experience and legends/history he has learned. I would maybe leave that door open just a bit.

It seems to me that, even with all his problems and faults, Sam would be a better parent for Emma than Martha and the pack. Lala is right. Emma does have a “special spirit”. And I have a problem with Martha’s apparent lack of parenting skills.

Ginger was a hoot last night! “Come on in you big bad vampire!” My hubby and I were rolling in the floor laughing at that one. And CindyJo, you’re right. This is also the first episode I remember with Ginger when she did not scream.

Quote of the night for me was Sarah Newlin’s ““The truth is, if you really want to do God’s work, you have to be in politics.” Sadly, I fear too many in politics today think just that very thing!

I also liked Holly’s comeback when Number 3 asked Andy if he wanted to know what Holly was thinking, she replied, without losing a beat, “Get out of my head Number 3”. She sure took it all in stride. Along with Jason’s, “It’s the strangest thing I’ve seen in Bon Temps and I’ve seen some strange things in this town.” (not exactly the direct quote) observation about Niall, the writers were hot when they wrote this episode!

Good job, Billie, on your recap.

Granna

8. Nothinbutjoy

July 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm

What’s the consensus on the identity of the male Fae that Niall “sent home”? To some degree he looks like Claude, but then again he doesn’t.

Some of my favorite lines of the night, that haven’t already been mentioned:

Lafayette- “Erase”

Andy- “They’re growing up so fast. So f@*%’ing fast.”

Andy- “These go with it.”
    Kevin- “Pretty.”

July 2, 2013 at 9:47 am

I think that was a random fairy dude. It wasn’t Claude, but I’m curious to know where Claude is. Was he there and among the casualties? Did he leave with Hadley and Hunter? We don’t know for sure.

July 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

I thought that WAS Claude. It sounded like him (the second Claude, not the one we met in Faerie with Queen Mab).

• Lou

July 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

I had the closed caption on last night when I watched Sunday’s episode again… the caption identified him as Claude. 🙁

• Syrah

July 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

that WAS totally Claude. He was such a waste of screen time.

July 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I thought it was just some random fairy. Didn’t recognize him as Claude at all.

• Granna

July 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I also had closed captioning on and he was identified as Claude. Also, that “ultimate gift of kindness” sure must not have felt very good. He sounded and looked like he was in agony when Niall “sent” him home.

9. Eva

July 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I love your recaps! I hate the wolves we need to see less of them. Please True Blood writers enough of Billith kill him off already. I enjoyed last nights episode especially all of Eric’s scenes. I have a feeling Ben is Warlow, he came through the portal and then the next morning Ben was in the woods. Also only faeries can enter the club so how would Warlow get in if he’s only a vampire. There has to be more to this Ben and Warlow either he is working with Warlow or he is Warlow.

July 2, 2013 at 9:46 am

Remember that the dying fairie told Niall that the vampire that came to the club was a very powerful one. The fae weren’t prepared for him at all. It was a surprise attack. If Warlow is that powerful (and we can assume that he is, being that he’s Lilith’s progeny), he can get into the fairy nightclub.

10. Betty

July 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I’m sad that Sookie & Eric are over! I love Eric.
    Alcide has turned into an ass. I used to like him, now I wish he would go away.
    I’m not digging Ben. There’s no chemistry between Ben & Sookie. I keep hoping that we’ll meet Quin, but the writers don’t seem interested it that story line.
    Niall looks nothing like he’s described. Very disappointing.
    I’m glad the old Lala is coming back. I missed him!
    I’m also really bored with Billith!

11. Jesse

July 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Well the political activists showed they had no common sense. With the Governor’s attacks on Vampire you want to trick others into revealing themselves? I wonder how many of her friends Nicole just killed?

Seems to me Billith is nothing more than Russell 2.0 from last season. Worrying over Fairy blood and the Sun. That said I am extremely worried over Andy’s daughters. I am not sure if anyone has fully explained to him the issues they would have with Vampires. I have always liked the Bill character, but the children will likely turn me against him. Seriously hope Jessica doesn’t do it.

And if Eric wants to hurt the Governor by using his daughter, you don’t kill her, you turn her into a vampire. I wonder if that might be in his plans. It would seriously piss Pam off.

12. Michele

July 1, 2013 at 9:53 pm

My only gripe about the episode is I just wish the writers would stop using this line with Sookie every time she addresses Bill when she’s upset “If I ever meant anything to you…….” she said those words in Season 3, Season 4, Season 5 and now Season 6. OK I get it he had real feelings for her, lets move on. Other than that, loved the scene with Eric in the coffin.

• Delorise

July 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Michele, I totally agree, the “if we ever meant anything” card is getting really old! Maybe it was used again to reinforce how much they cared about each other since he might be the one to die this season…?

• Granna

July 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I agree! I am sick of hearing that every time they have a “showdown” of some sort. Once, O.K. Twice, maybe, under the right circumstances. But not every season. Not over and over! They (the writers) need to be REALLY finished with that phrase!

13. Jayne

July 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm

ANY IDEAS ON WHO WARLOW IS EVERYONE???
    I think it’s Ben! I don’t trust him… Niall said that Warlow is extremely powerful so I would think he could pretend to be a fairy kin and read minds, maybe that’s why Sookie can sense Ben in her head, because he’s a not a fairy & infact Warlow in disguise!!! And I read recently that Bill and Warlow have a connection, so is Bill involved somehow? If Warlow isn’t Ben is he Bill or looks just like Bill maybe? When Warlow landed on the bridge I did think immediately that what you could see of his face was like Bill! I CAN’T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHO WARLOW IS!!
    Also I am loving Rutger Hauer as Niall, favourite character at the moment, I can’t wait til he meets Eric & Bill, finally someone who can stand up to the Vamps, lol!!!

July 2, 2013 at 9:51 am

The connection between Bill and Warlow is Lilith.

• Lou

July 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

Ohh, I just had a thought. Remember last season when Bill and Salome were in bed and Salome turned from herself to Lillith to Sookie? Perhaps Warlow CAN shapeshift into anyone? Makes me wonder, if Ben is Warlow, he is looking to impregnant Sookie? Just a thought…

14. LiaNorthman

July 2, 2013 at 12:22 am

Loved the recap and I’ve seen some great insight and theories about where the show is heading! I’ve really enjoyed all the Eric scenes and I’m so rooting for him and Sookie to find their way back to each other<3 Wishing he just killed Willa, I like Ben thoe(: Warlow being connected to killing Billith? Genius. So excited for the upcoming episodes(: Any other theories, comments, or insight on how the Eric/Sookie vs. Ben/Sookie contingent might go or would be greatly appreciated!

• Sookieeleana

July 2, 2013 at 2:11 am

No idea about Sookie/Eric – although I would love that to happen – they both seem far too busy elsewhere again this season. Maybe we’ll get a couple of scenes in the finale again to tease us and give us hope for next year! As for Sookie/Ben – I really don’t expect that to end well. I think he’s either Warlow or some other bad guy.

15. Vampiremaniac

July 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Good catch the previous comments about Jason being sensitive to fae powers.

As for Warlow I think he is just working with Ben. Unless Warlow is mind manipulator and make others see him as Ben who’s wounds don’t close fast, etc. But what about the Sun? And Sookie didn’t invite him. And Niall said Warlow’s blood is special. Maybe Lilith turned vampire an original Fae and now he is hybrid? And a frenzy-ed one of that, since he is so animalistic all the time… I don’t know…

I so enjoyed Eric and Willa scene in the coffin. I think I want to see them together. Sookie made pretty clear that because she loves both Eric and Bill should stay away from both of them and that’s the right think to do. I don’t want to see Eric with Sookie, despite both of them are my favorite characters of the show. In fact, I find Sookie the most descent woman ever caught in a love triangle after rejecting them both. I don’t wnat to review that.

Anyways, so excited for the next episode!

• Vampiremaniac

July 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh, I want to add that I just love Niall and the Governor more with each episode. Niall’s teleportation and super photokinetic hands are so cool! And the Governor is just so steady and uncompromising!

But, I have been worrying about the show’s future. It is like a drug to me and I can’t bare watching the viewers dropping with each episode of this season. Episode 1- 4.52m, episode 2- 4.08m, episode 3- 3.93m. Where is the 5.3m+ the show used to have in season 3?
      Well, yes, it changed but it was necessary since Sookie rejected them both and the love triangle broke and Bill needed to become evil. Personally, I can’t think a better way to make him evil by making him the incarnation of the original vampire.

• Madeleine

July 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm

The show is still on top of the cabel ratings, I think that’s reassuring. 😉
        But I have to disagree with you when it comes to the Gov (no offense). I think he’s a sadistic whacko. He wants to eradicate a whole race, how sick is it to use people as lab-rats and torture them?

July 3, 2013 at 10:20 am

Don’t worry, we’ll get a seventh season. Look for the official announcement from HBO soon. 🙂

16. Nightstalker

July 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Let the games begin 😀

17. vaddict76

July 3, 2013 at 1:49 am

What an awesome and entertaining recap Billie! In regard to the comments about a main character leaving- wouldn’t that be Luna? I have a feeling that Luna might not be dead, maybe she is being held at that camp. I am also wondering if Niall is Warlow. He is so powerful and where is his proof of who he really is? Why do Sookie and Jason just take his word for it that he is their fairy grandfather. Nialls original name was to be Macklyn. Could the M. Warlow stand for Macklyn Warlow? Intriguing things happening indeed. Can’t wait until Sunday!!

• Madeleine

July 3, 2013 at 2:03 am

The main character who will be killed off is apparently one of those who around from the very beginning (season one), so I think Luna is an unlikely bet.
      Just as I read your comment about Niall probably being Warlow I remembered another thing that makes it improbable Warlow might be able of daywalking : do you recall how fast Godric went up in flames? Much faster than for example Maxine’s neighbour. Could it be that with age not only the Vampire grows stronger but gets more sensitive to sunlight?
      And, the first time warlow tried to break through it was day, did he retreat because of the light shining in through bathroom window? Just a thought …

• Madeleine

July 3, 2013 at 2:55 am

Strike the second thought, it was night when Warlow appeared in the bathroom. It was the evening after Sookie, Jason, Claude and the rest went to the bridge. Reviewing that made me think : maybe Jason got his overdose of faery light as early as then, and the blast outside the club just made it worse.
        And has it ever been mentioned why Warlow didn’t make it through right then and there?

July 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

I wonder if Warlow needed to gather additional strength to punch through from his dimension. Maybe Bill drinking Lilith’s blood did it somehow? Or he had to take another drink of Ben?

• Madeleine

July 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

I was wondering if he had to gather strength as well, but it’s only been a few days and he’s been stuck for years. So, what has changed in those few days that could’ve invigorated him?
            Maybe he just chose the wronh place, he did succeed when he tried on the bridge, same place he’d left. Could it be Sookie and the faeries summoning the memory did not only alert Warlow but also weakened the barrier?

July 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ooooh, yeah, that could be it. I hope we get an explanation on the show so we don’t have to keep guessing.

18. Jayne

July 3, 2013 at 2:16 am

Is Warlow a Doppelgänger to Jason or Bill???
    Also with Ben, there is talk that he has been sent to keep an eye on Sookie from her fairy Queen.. The one in the book..

19. Nothinbutjoy

July 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I was watching the episode again and put together something I hadn’t before.

When Sookie brought Ben home, she was cleaning his wound. When she touched his arm it glowed. Later, when Niall had come back from Hooligans (I can’t remember what it’s called on the show, Cahoots?) he had that vial of blood that glowed just like Ben’s arm did when Sookie touched him.

So, Ben is either Warlow or in league with him. Maybe Ben is Warlow’s progeny so he has Warlow’s blood in his veins.

• Nothinbutjoy