True Blood Radio 208: You’re No Good

Who the heck is Ben? Is he connected to Warlow? What’s wrong with Jason? Are Andy’s daughters in danger? These questions and more come up in this week’s True Blood Radio, covering True Blood episode 6.03, “You’re No Good”.

Things We Mentioned:

1. Jacqueline

July 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hi Ladies! Great Pod! What I’m liking about this season is the return to the relationships and conversations. I’m too confused about Ben to decide what/who he could be. How about dubbing Ben/Warlow ‘BenWoe’, lol? Might end up being appropriate, bahaha! Whomever he is, I’d say it’s a pretty safe assumption he won’t be back next season.

July 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

Agreed on the relationships, Jacqueline! It feels like we’re being given time to really hear these characters talking to each other and see them interact with each other in deeper ways than we have for a while.

I like your ‘BenWoe’ suggestion. 🙂

2. Rina

July 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Awesome discussion, ladies.

July 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks, Rina. 🙂

3. Mary Ann

July 3, 2013 at 10:08 pm

As always, your podcast was fun to listen to. I am on the “Ben is helping Warlow” train at the moment, but I’m open to persuasion. One thing I might add (though it is against my own notion of Ben) is that the only evidence we have of Ben’s not knowing where Hot Wings was located is from Ben himself. He could have gone to Hot Wings, killed everyone, gotten the injury, gone back to be conveniently discovered by Sookie, and pretended that he didn’t know where the club was. Also, remember that Andy and the then-little-kid-fairy-halflings went to the field and Andy yelled and yelled for Maurella, who never showed. If she were already dead, she couldn’t have answered. We don’t know exactly when the club was invaded and the fairies massacred.

As an occasional writer of mysteries, I can tell you that a common device is to have a suspicious character simply lie. Then the other characters act based on that lie until the truth comes out later.

This season, by the way, is progressing much better than a couple of the earlier seasons. I, too, hope they don’t screw it up. 🙂

4. Granna

July 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Enjoyed your pod cast as always. I am also liking this season as much as any before and more than most of the others.

I’m not willing to lose any of the major characters this season so they may have to re-shoot the last couple of episodes. (as if)

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to remove LaFayette’s character. He adds a balancing dimension to the show that I think it needs. Actually, I would hate to lose any of the regulars at this point.

Hubby and I think that Sookie, Erick, Bill, and Sam must remain. We want to see Jason, LaFayette, Pam, Tara, and Jessica, stay for sure. It would be a real shame to lose Nora, Andy, Terry, Arlene, Holly, Alcide, or Emma. They all bring valuable contributions to the community of Bon Temps. (And I’m positive that I’ve left someone or two out of the please stay list.)

As to Niall – I am bothered that he told his personal story so readily and quickly to Ben, a stranger he just met, even if he is a halfling. Somehow I just didn’t picture royalty speaking so personally about “family business”. Does that not seem strange to anyone besides me? (I do love Rutger Hauer playing Niall though. He is so awesome!)

Great job, Ladies!

July 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks, Granna! Right there with you regarding losing characters…I vote for NONE OF THEM.

I think the conversation between Ben and Niall felt odd to us because we’re used to not knowing anything about supes until they tell us. Here we have evidence that just because we, the audience, don’t know something doesn’t mean that the rest of the supernatural population doesn’t. Ditto with Warlow and Nora’s knowledge of him. In Ben’s case, someone has told him that Niall is Fae royalty and he already had a passing knowledge of what happened to Niall’s family at Warlow’s hands. Or teeth.

5. Viv

July 4, 2013 at 1:04 am

Great podcast. Can’t wait to find out what Ben/Warlow is up to. I think Eric might turn Willa into a vampire to use her against her father. She may kill him for Eric or at the very least infiltrate and mess up his plans.

July 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Viv! If Eric turns Willa, Pam will be so mad! Even though he released her last season (or last week in her timeline), I don’t think she wants to share her Daddy.

6. Tigerlily_swirl

July 4, 2013 at 1:36 am

Great podcast ladies!

July 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

Thanks, Tigerlily!

7. Madeleine

July 4, 2013 at 1:59 am

I agree with Liz, it’s great to see Eric taking the lead. I’m pretty sure Pam would go along with his plans if Tara wouldn’t try to drive a wedge between them all the time.
    Every time when Eric tells Pam what to do, she’s like : are you just taking that? he released you, so why do you still listen? – What is Tara doing that for? Of course Pam still listens, he is her maker (Tara should be able to get what that implies about now).
    And even she has to admit Eric’s the most experienced one, he welcomed her into the family, specifically told Nora to be nice to Tara, and this is what he gets in return?
    What you said about the Gov not caring too much about Willa reinforces my belief Willa might not be so innocent. Willa is clever, she keeps her cool in a difficult situation, she does everything to prevent any harm coming to her. Taking into account the Governor planned this for quite a while he might have prepared her for such a situation and knows she can handle it.
    Besides, not to step on anybody’s toes : if she’s so unhappy living with her dad why doesn’t she leave? She has enough to extort a nice apartment and monthly apanage. I don’t see her being stuck.
    Liz’ comment if Ben might be Warlow made me think (again) : I’m wondering for how long the blood of a couple of faeries would last. I don’t think he can drain more than one or two, and draining one doesn’t last for a whole day.
    Also, Eric got drunk when he drained Claudine. And finally : Niall has tracked / hunted Warlow for a long time, he has encountered him, but he doesn’t recognize him?
    And where would Warlow get a private stack of faeries? He was stuck in a dark realm, he just recently broke free. Makes it also unlikely (to me) that Warlow captured Ben. How could he?
    I’m not on board with the hybrid thing, can a fae even be turned into a Vampire? You have to die to become a Vampire, when a fae dies he / she turns into dust.
    And first of all : would LIlith have tried? What for? If you have a feary at hand and it allows you to spend a few minutes in the sun every now and then wouldn’t you keep that one around? And didn’t Lilith (according to the Vampire bible) consider fae to be an abomination? Would she make such a creature her progeny?
    Maybe the blood Niall collected is from someone else entirely, someone we haven’t met yet. You have to allow for really everything with this show, right? 😉
    Spoilers : Jessica being on the same page will Bill – agreeing to help him capture Andy’s kids! – was shocking. It seems a bit out of character, is she losing her compassion? Don’t like where that is going ….

July 4, 2013 at 8:30 am

What if Warlow has his own stock of faery blood? As in, he killed all the faeries in Hot Wings and drained their blood into bottles so he can drink as needed. (I’m totally grossing myself out now.) Either that, or he takes a sip of Ben when he needs a fix. Unless he IS Ben. AGH!

• Madeleine

July 4, 2013 at 8:51 am

Hmmm, where is he keeping that? Totally impractical to always carry around some bottles. Ben isn’t carrying anything (not even a bag with spare clothes, curious), and I’m still wondering how and when Warlow could’ve met Ben … oh! wait! What if Ben’s a bad little faery and was exiled too? And Warlow took him with when he escaped?
        Then again, wouldn’t the King of the fearies know about it?

8. anja

July 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm

hey, great podcast.
    so I just wanted to say that what Nora said abouth Lilith and Warlow could be understood as that Jessica beeing the proginy of Bill could be the only one to kill him. have you considered that?
    greeting from europe:)

9. Devin in Phoenix

July 5, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Ben cannot ‘BE’ Warlow. They were both at/near Sookie’s house at th same time. They also showed Warlow ‘come through’ the portal & he looked toall different plus Ben was already around by that time. Ben may very well be ‘working’ for Warlow. He could have gotten him into the Fey club with his own blood.
    Nora was looking for Warlow to help destroy ‘Billith’. 🙂 Thats what she said anyway. Nora said that ‘Lillith was Warlows Maker’ and could be the only one that might destroy Bill now that he’s full of Lillith’s blood.
    I had been wondering hw they would attempt to ‘redeem’ Bill after everrything he did last season. I like how they managed to start that process with him still caring for Jessica and his apparent future helping all the other vampires, possibly being the only thing that may save all of them.
    Great start to the season. I’m totally back into the show ! 🙂

10. Devi

July 7, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Can someone fill me in on something please? In the 3rd episode when Niall brought up Sookie with Ben and he said that they didn’t leave off on such a good footing, what was that about? I even went back to the last episode and they parted ways amicably enough so I feel like there’s a gap somewhere. So confused. Please help. :-/

July 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Ben asked her out on the way to the meadow where the portal to Hot Wings is, and she turned him down. She told him, “It’s not you. I just shouldn’t be taking walks with handsome strangers. It never ends well.” Then she rushed off and left Ben there.

11. pncxngfsvnatyku

July 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers
    however this post is genuinely a good piece of writing,
    keep it up.