True Blood Radio 209: “At Last”

Major reveals! Sookie solving mysteries and taking charge! Jessica losing control! Weres still not being interesting! We have a lot to discuss in this week’s True Blood Radio, where we dissect True Blood episode 6.04, “At Last”, rant about some Sookie-related comments, and recklessly speculate about what’s coming up next. Join us!

Now it’s your turn: what do you think happened to Niall? Are Andy’s daughters really dead? Do you care about Alcide’s storyline?

1. Tigerlily_swirl

July 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Wonderful (and funny) podcast ladies. So far I am really enjoying this season. Love what’s going on with Sookie, all my favorite vampires, LaLa, and Sam. My only complaint is the were storyline, for some reason I just cannot get into it. I hope they wrap that story line up so that we have more screen time of Eric, Pam, Tara, Jessica, and LaLa!

July 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm

“Wonderful (and funny) podcast ladies.” Hey Liz, this is my new favorite fan!

July 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

I’m glad someone recognizes the ‘funny’! πŸ˜€

2. Doggy2Prince

July 11, 2013 at 12:09 am

I think Andy might be the big death. Andy might not be able handle the death of his daughters so he might take his own life or might do something drastic that could result in his death. Another possibility, he could go after Jessica so she could be the big death.

I care about Alcide’s storyline as much as i care about what i flush down the toilet.

3. Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 12:57 am

Great podcast πŸ˜‰ So much good stuff.
    I seem to be slow on the uptake – why again couldn’t Niall make Warlow? From the way he spoke about the murder of his family I suspected he was an eye-witness and at one point had a look at Warlow … doesn’t really matter. It was kind of disappointing though how easily Benlow got the drop on him and Jason. Niall knew Jason isn’t particularly bright, and Jason knew Niall has no interest in Jason as a person, since he doesn’t carry the fae. I mean, Niall said that to his face, would you run into a fight with such a guy?
    What was most interesting to me was the question if Bill can be considered to be Lilith’s progeny ! I think he can, Bill died and was reborn through Lilith’s blood (that’s quite similar to the turning process), and Sookie felt him dying. I doubt though he can sire hyvrids, and I wonder why Lilith didn’t sire more of them – if she wanted her children to walk in the sun she would have.
    So, is Bill misinterpreting his vision? How is daywalking going to save all Vampires anyway? Granted, they would no longer be vulnerable to sunlight, but they would still need to feed. And being less vulnerable would make them a more effective predator – more reason for humans to fear them. In this time of war that doesn’t seem like a good thing, it could reinforce the resolve of those who think Vampires are too dangerous and have to be eradicated.
    One aspect I missed was you talking about Jessica (before the spoilers) and her aiding Bill to get Andy’s kids. How awful was it of her to go ahead with Bill’s plan to abduct four innocent children to use them as lab-rats? I mean, that’s what Bill and Jessica went there for, right? I expected nothing of that sort from her (not talking about her draining the fae and feeling bad about it here).
    Regarding the spoilers – maybe Sook’s dad will possess Lala? Somebody proposed it might have been his intention to drown her, because her mom feared her. Doesn’t seem so far fetch now.
    Obviously Warlow told Sookie something, I don’t think she hit him with her light. Niall said it would kill any Vampire and she would no longer be fae. Granted, he didn’t know what Warlow was, so maybe the super-nova doesn’t work on him. But if Sook’s no longer fae she is of no use for Warlow, right?

July 11, 2013 at 9:57 am

Niall was a child when Warlow killed the rest of his family – “I couldn’t bring myself to kill a child” – and presumably didn’t assume the same appearance that he has here. Niall hasn’t actually SEEN Warlow since then, at least not to his knowledge.

Niall wants to protect Sookie; Jason wants to protect Sookie; therefore, they team up. It’s the same as Bill and Eric teaming up for the greater good, even though they don’t particularly like each other.

Re: the daywalking – if Bill synthesizes fae blood so vampires can daywalk, it will be the result of having an alternate source of food. Yes, they’ll need to feed still, but as before, they can drink Tru Blood 2.0 or whatever Bill calls it. Bill wants to provide a new source of food in order to reverse the damage he did last season and restore that uneasy balance between humans and vampires from before. Daywalking is just an added bonus, something we’ve seen vamps yearn for from the beginning of the series.

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Please don’t get me wrong, but if a child witnesses his family getting murdered that image would forever be etched into his / her mind, would it not? Niall just seemed so utterly clueless and unsuspecting, he opened up to Ben. And he chased this creature for like ever.
        We’ll see (hopefully).
        I get daywalking is a “holy grail” for most Vampires, I just don’t understand how creating a new type is more important tham rebuilding the factories. The new type has to be manufacture as well, so the facilities are needed. Wouldn’t it make more sense to rebuild first, feed your people and then focus on the new, better, more tasty stuff with a bonus? All the more since Bill himself had not much luck with staying out in the sun for long after enjoying part-fae blood. It seems he’s staking it all on one card, he has to be aware that failure would be epic and quite devastating. Yet it appears he doesn’t even consider it. Given what’s at stake that seems odd to me. But what do I know? I’m merely human πŸ˜‰

July 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

“Please don’t get me wrong, but if a child witnesses his family getting murdered that image would forever be etched into his / her mind, would it not? ”

No, not necessarily. It’s rare that a person, child especially, who witnesses something as horrifying and tragic as the complete slaughter of his entire family, would actually remember the scene. Very often these people are so traumatized by the event that they cannot remember much of what they saw. I’m not surprised at all that Niall couldn’t recall seeing Warlow.

July 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yeah, what Liz said. πŸ™‚ On top of that, if Warlow was zip zip zipping around at super fast vampire speed (remember, he was still a new vamp), Niall may not have had a good look at him. And, again, I highly doubt that Warlow looks like Ben in the Faery world where this all happened. Even if child Niall DID get a good look at Warlow’s face, and remembered it after millenia, Warlow isn’t presenting himself in that same image in the human world. If anything, I’d have thought Niall would be able to smell the difference in Ben/Warlow, but since he was expecting a vampire, not a Fae, and apparently Ben smells Fae, then he managed to slip under the radar.

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

“Very often these people are so traumatized by the event that they cannot remember much of what they saw”

Happens very often, but then most of those victims don’t remember the whole incident. Niall has some memory, so this would be a kind of ‘selective amnesia’ (in lack of a better term)? Never heard of that, but as Eric once said everything’s possible.

July 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

No, in fact some people can lose only part of the memory of the tragic event witnessed. Plenty of information on that online.

• Rina

July 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Niall explained in a previous episode that his mom hid him during Warlow’s attack, and he never saw what Warlow looked like. That’s why he didn’t immediately recognize Ben as Warlow.

• Granna

July 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

In one episode, I don’t remember specifically which one, Niall was telling Jason and Sookie about the attack on his village/settlement. He said that his Mother told him to hide and he did so, therefore never seeing Warlow’s face. He heard what was happening but did not see it happening and Warlow had already left by the time he came out of hiding.

Just FYI, I watch the episodes over and over throughout the week, picking up something every time I watch that I missed before. Also, I have closed captioning on because I’m deaf in right ear and hard of hearing in the left ear. That helps me pick up things I missed in previous viewings.

• jg6864

July 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

I like your theory that Bill is actually Lillith’s progeny…didn’t think of it like that before. That would make he and Warlow siblings in a sense. I also think that LaLa will be possessed by Sookie’s father who either tries to kill her or maybe tries to Baptize the “evil” out of her?? I remember when her parents were killed – Sookie was not in the car and then Claudine Zapped him – perhaps they went too far and Warlow was trying to protect her. Maybe Claudine misunderstood what was going on. There has been some foreshadowing – Jason only seeing hateful comments from them when he was hallucinating them, his conversation with Sookie about them last episode. Perhaps they were very narrow-minded people? Just pure speculation on my part.

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

“or maybe tries to Baptize the β€œevil” out of her?? ”

Good point, I could see that, especially since religion and taking religious beliefs too far has always been an issue on this how. And you’re right, Jason’s episodes could be a foreshadowing. I’m careful putting those vision, trances and such into context though, most of the times there’re not very accurate.

July 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Your theory makes sense given the evidence, but what a crushing blow for Sookie if it’s true!

• jg6864

July 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I absolutely agree with you – how horrible!!! At least the parents would have to take some of the responsibility for their own demise – they were not innocents in the situation, then.

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm

It would certainly be a shock for Sookie, but she got really strong this season (like her so much for taking action, relying on herself rather than on others). And she would no longer have to blame herself. So far she felt some guilt for her parents death, the summoned memory showed Warlow being attracted to her blood. She could let go of that now.

4. Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

@ Mel : when you say “I doubt that Warlow looks like Ben in the Faery world where this all happened” are you thinking about the way the fae with Queen Mab looked like (pointy ears and sutff) ? That’s an interesting theory. Kind of makes me wonder if Lilith turned Warlow for that reason. You know, him being able to enter faery, remain undetected, providing her with fae to drain ….

• jg6864

July 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

good thinking! By the way (this has been in the back of my mind) – since Sookie is only a tiny bit Fairy, how was she able to zap a Queen fairy so powerfully?

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

Maybe because she’s a descendant of a royal family. The super-nova thingy is a special feature of this lineage (according to Niall) and her faery great-grandfather advised Sookie to put all her emotions into her blast. I think Sook did that automatically (to a point) when she faced Queen Mab, she felt threatened, caught a glimpse behind the curtain, that might have been enough to create such a forceful blow. And Mab didn’t expect resistance, so the element of surprise worked to Sook’s favour as well.

• jg6864

July 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

makes sense!!!

July 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

Exactly. It’s well-established on True Blood that the Fae take on a human appearance so as not to scare us. The creepy old dude we know as Warlow is probably his TRUE appearance, and the one Niall might remember, not young handsome Ben.

5. Vampiremaniac

July 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

3 days now I can’t understand how Ben’s wounds were open for Sookie to take care of them… That was one main fact that made us believe Ben wasn’t Warlow. But then, I remembered Eric feeding Lafayette his blood at S2. His bite on his wrist was open as long as he wanted. Same goes when he fed Willa. Normally, in both cases, the wounds should close in a sec. It seems elder vampires can control their healing ability. That’s how Ben kept his wounds open… What do you say?

• Madeleine

July 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hmm, with Lafayette and Willa there was someone feeding of the Vampire, I think that’s why the wounds didn’t close. Can Vampires control how fast they heal? Interesting question. I think Warlow reopened his wounds at Sook’s house (when she went to get the water and supplies). And remember how Eric’s wounds from the chains didn’t heal because he hadn’t fed? Warlow was banned, there was probably not much food in the realm he was exiled to. Since he planned all this he could’ve waived a feeding before he injured himself.

• Granna

July 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Oh, I think Benlow “fed’ just fine when he killed all the faeries at Hot Wings, before Sookie even told him about the “safe” place for faeries. Then he injured himself. His wounds were well within the frame of the body to be self-inflicted.

• Vampiremaniac

July 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Well, Willa and Lafayette weren’t biting the wound, there were nothing to prevent it from closing. So I guess my guess about controlling healing pace has a base…

• Rina

July 11, 2013 at 6:52 pm

It’s possible that Warlow CAN control the rate of his healing. It may be one of Lilith’s abilities, or has to do with his fairy blood. Maybe he doesn’t heal as quick as an ordinary vampire. Also it’s possible that fairy blood is not as good for vampire healing as human blood. After all, human blood is nourishment, while fairy blood is basically ecstasy.

6. Viv

July 13, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Totally called it last week about Eric turning Wila to help the vamps! Hasn’t turned out well though. Think Sookie may find out something unpleasant about her parents from Warlow and that’s why she asks Layette to help her discover the truth. Warlow might have been protecting Sookie from them in some way perhaps. He can read minds too so maybe they couldn’t handle her mind reading or something. Was interested that Sookie told Jason that their parents weren’t perfect and their mother was afraid of her in a previous episode too. Really enjoying this season so far and, of course, it’s great to hear both your thoughts on the episodes.

7. Buckspa

July 13, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Bill wants to synthesize fairy blood because ( whie on histamce) he had vision of his friend vampires( Eric, Tara, Pam, etc) in the concentration camp, thy were about to all be destroyed via sunlight ( sliding roof to let sunshine in). He wants to save them, and change the future outcome of this vision by giving them fairy blood so they may survive that event.

• Viv

July 14, 2013 at 5:05 am

Definitely. He doesn’t want it just because he misses the sun. It’s to make it even harder to kill vamps and this is Bill’s attempt to stop his vision coming true. I can kind of understand why he is so angry that Sookie won’t help as it effects many vampires she cares about. He must think it’s like her saying I don’t care if you all die. It must seem incredibly selfish to him, although he went about it the wrong way and didn’t really explain himself to her. She has zero reason to trust him.