Will True Blood Continue Past Season 7?

HBO has already renewed True Blood for a seventh season, and today executives told press at the TCA (Television Critics Association) summer media presentation that “there’s every chance” that True Blood will be renewed for additional seasons, according to The Huffington Post.

HBO president Michael Lombardo feels that new showrunner Brian Buckner injected “new energy” into the show this season, leaving the network very pleased with the direction the show is going.

“We’re talking to Brian [Buckner] about next year. No decision has been made at this point [about] how much longer it’s going to be running,” quotes The Futon Critic.

1. Aaron

July 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I would be ok if season 7 was the last for True Blood. After season 7 If they would continue i think they would need a very strong subject base for season 8. Something that would keep the viewers locked in. But True Blood is at a very high point right now, anything could happen. You never know what the writers will come up with for future seasons to come.

2. Doggy2Prince

July 26, 2013 at 12:33 am

I will watch True Blood season 7 only if:

1. Alcide and the Weres are gone.
    2. My favorite characters are still alive.
    3. If finale indicates a return to season 1 style of True Blood.

• Arabella

July 26, 2013 at 1:18 am

I Agree! True blood has been amazing so far but to drag the series any longer than season 7, it could be a big mistake. I need to see the show returning into a real vampire drama/romance that we had during season 1/2. And of course it’s time to bring GOOD BILL back.

3. Billie jo parks

July 26, 2013 at 2:37 am

I would love it if they had more seasons i mean afterfull they are not in sync with the books and i love this show.

4. Sookieeleana

July 26, 2013 at 3:35 am

The more the better – this season completely rocks!

5. Emma Frost

July 26, 2013 at 7:30 am

This season is a total disaster. Next season they need to end this show. They have completely gone off the books and turned something that was amazing into a complete joke. The ending of Heroes was better, and the ending of Heroes was horrible!!!

July 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

So you would rather they stick with the books completely and have the show end exactly the way the last book did? You’d be happy with that? Yay! 😀

I’m wondering why you continued to watch the show after the second season, because that’s where True Blood veered away from the books. Why would you spend so much time on a show you hate? I’m confused and would love to hear your explanation.

• Aaron

July 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Liz I just love your responses! You make my day. Lol

• Roman

July 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm

You are spot on with that comment Liz. Frost lost even more credibility with me when he/she said Heroes’ ending was better. Those last Heroes seasons were worse than this show has ever been.

• sage

July 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thank you very much for this reply. I was about the say the same thing. But I will say in my own perspective that the first 2 episodes of this season 6 was not what I was expecting but episode 3 then picked up and I’m so in love with this show

• Toni

August 13, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I would like for True Blood to be successful beyond season 7 some doors opened this season with the vampires day walking. I can honestly say season 5 was horrible but they redeemed themselves with vamp camp and Terry’s funeral. I also believed if after everything Bill and Sarah has done Steve’s life should have mattered his departure allowed new characters to be born for example, Willa, violet, what is their purpose beyond vamp camp? The vampires can day walk what is Warlow’s purpose and Bill will he face repercussions for not leaving with the sirens. The reverend in church talking about vampires was that the time jump or the rogue vampires walking through the woods? The way Sookie was portrayed and what Eric had to endure I will stay up to date with True blood via blogs and decided what episodes to watch that way.

• paris

July 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

If you don’t like then don’t watch it… And you are in a minority this season… Everyone is loving it.

• Joseph

July 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I totally agree with Liz and Paris. This season is beyond phenomenal, my favorite yet… by FAR. The writers are finally moving on from the predictably overused and overly sappy vampire/human romance storyline by paying homage to the classic vampire genre; injecting a heavy dose of well executed sci-fi/fantasy making vampires killing machines created by bram stoker, not misfits desperate to fit into a cruel and barbaric world. The characters are now much, MUCH more complex (Andy is a perfect example), and every single show ends on a cliffhanger that makes me scream at the television frantically counting down to the next.
      They then very successfully tease the build up the upcoming show with misdirection, which allows a much anticipated resolution to be delivered with unpredictable panache.

This season has moved True Blood from a sappy tween twilght romance, at times, to a full on fantasy fest with an still as yet to be revealed storyline that leaves trubies craving more… and more.. and MORE… after each and every episode.

If someone doesn’t like it, then they are truly missing out an a gem.
      Anyone who doesn’t like this season, which is the best of the lot in my humble opinion, is unfortunately missing a show crafted by pros who are at the top of their game.

TEAM BILL! ALWAYS.

6. Elle

July 26, 2013 at 8:44 am

I’m really glad that they don’t stick to books. I really like the whole series (well, not WHOLE, you know what I mean…) but it’s cool to watch a different storyline on TV. At least it can be surprising, it kinds sucks, when from the episode1 I know what’s going to happen. Love the show, love the direction it’s going!

7. susinnebraska

July 26, 2013 at 11:25 am

I hope TRUE BLOOD goes to season 10 at least. I love everything about the show.

8. kim

July 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Carry on, TB! Like that it’s different than the books. Like the surprises.

9. Vampiremaniac

July 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Season 6 proves without doubt that the show is recovering from the “10-completely-different-sub-plots-happening-together-in-1-show” that seasons 4 and especially 5 have been. Don’t misunderstand me, I enjoyed them but not as much I am enjoying season 6 or season 1-3. I am surprised at how they connected Terry’s storyline with the basic storyline. It was good. The new season also introduces new elements like traditonal-horror and traditional-vampire scenery (like Eric and Willa scenes in the coffin and when he turned her). The storyline is accelerating and sub plots like Alcide’s and Sam’s are minimum but yet boring. The question “will the show continue past season 7” could only be answered if we knew how season 6 ends. As said by Aaron, to continue the series they will need something really strong to come. For example, if season 6 ends with the Sanguinista dream coming true, an official world war between vampires and humans, you can’t possibly end the series with just one more season. This plot could drag the show for at least 2 more seasons or maybe 3, making it have 8 or 9 seasons in total, which is the number I think this show deserves, since even the most sucessful series almost never have more than 10 seasons. On the other hand, if things get back to normal, focusing on Sookie and her vagina and her small little town, that could mean that season 7 could be the end. This return to the original routes could please some of the past-fans of the show but I doubt if that will make them return or if the writers will know what else to bring to the show to keep it up for season 8.
    Nevertheless, TRUE BLOOD continues to be No1 at ratings for the cable TV at Sunday nights and continues to be the No2 show (after Game of Thrones) for HBO. That being said, I would be surprised and extremely dissappointed (since this show is like a drug to me) if season 7 turned out to be the final season of the show. I am crossing fingers that next year I will be commenting here with all of you, dear fellow Trubies, a post with the title “TRUE BLOOD is renewed for Season 8”.

PS1. I have never read the books and I never will since from their synopsis is clear that after Book 4 thing get boring. I am glad that the show is not using them anymore.

PS2. Even after the show ends, I will be really happy if we get to have a spin-off series. An awesome one would be the Eric’s chronicles with Godric through the centuries (including flashbacks with Godric’s chronicles). Another one could be the fae world. Another the Fangtasia chronicles. What do you say?

• Elle

September 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

Tbh I think first 4 books are the best. After that we have a really big spotlight in the series which is the book nr. 7. The rest is more and more focusing on Sookie. I still like the tho, it’s still my favourite book series, but reading, especially books 8-13 (that horrible ending…), was not as exciting as it used to be before.

September 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

The books are from Sookie’s point of view, so of course they focus on her. The book series has always been Sookie’s story, not Eric’s.

• Elle

September 16, 2013 at 8:55 am

I know, but in some point I feel like we miss the real action and turn the Southern Vampire Mysteries into Sookie’s Heart Problems. I’m not talking here about Eric. I just miss the action a little bit.

10. Roman

July 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm

To me, this season is an improvement from the horrible season 5 and even season 4. It’s still not up there with the glory days of True Blood, but Buckner sounds like he has good intentions on where he wants the show to go with it, unlike Alan Ball. I think it is ultimately going to depend on how season 7 turns out to see if the show needs to go on any longer.

• sage

July 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Yeah. That’s very true roman season 7 will determine this shows future. Still loving the show

11. Vampiremaniac

July 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Is there someting wrong with the comment function? I commented hours ago but my comment never appeared. I tried to re-comment but a notification says that I am posting the same comment… WTF?

July 27, 2013 at 10:21 am

Nothing’s wrong with the comment function – your comment was so long, and you’d been posting a few others in a short span of time, that one was flagged as possible spam. Because Liz & I have lives, neither of us had a chance to review and approve comments until now.

• Vampiremaniac

July 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Ok, thank you, Mel! 🙂 I used to run a blog and I had problems with comments as well so I understand you completely!

July 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm

They can be a pain in the derriere, but a necessary pain!