Recap 6.9 True Blood “Life Matters”

Jason: “How dare you speak for God?”

This was the best episode of True Blood I’ve seen in years.

One of my constant complaints about this show is that they try to jam too many story threads into an episode, and end up giving full justice to none of them. Not this time. This episode centered on two and only two stories — Terry Bellefleur’s absolutely wonderful and deeply touching funeral, and the strange ascension of our favorite vampires into creatures of the light. Both storylines were about love, family and sacrifice, but in different ways.

Arlene gave her husband Terry the funeral he deserved. Lettie Mae’s husband was the perfect minister, and every eulogy and flashback got to me — Andy and Terry at Fort Bellefleur, Sam showing such kindness by hiring a strange man in camo who looked like maniac, Lafayette teaching Terry how to cook French fries.

I didn’t think it could get more touching, but it did — when Sookie “came out” as a telepath in front of everyone so that she could tell Arlene that Terry was crazy for her from the moment they met. All of these people helped Terry because he deserved help, and loved him because he was a lovable man. But I think I was touched the most by Arlene talking about how she and Terry took turns being strong for each other. That’s what a good marriage is really all about.

The other half of the story was just as good — so much so that I can’t really choose which was the A plot. Bill became the vampire Jesus, sacrificing his body and blood for his people and saving them all (although not from sin). Is it permanent? Did Bill just create a whole new breed of daywalking vampires? Wouldn’t it be awesome if he did? (I kept expecting them all to start smoking as they were drunk on the sunshine, but no.) And how lovely that James was the one who offered to save Bill. He certainly just endeared himself to Jessica forever.

And Eric, an old and powerful vampire in a state of complete rage, was awesome. He took terrible vengeance on the people who victimized the vampires, and it was practically biblical — blood and body parts everywhere. The doctor who killed Nora suffered the most; tearing off his genitals and tossing them in front of the guy? OMFreakingG. I thought Eric would be the one to save his family. And then I thought Eric would be the one to save Bill. But no. Where did Eric go at the end of the episode? Come back, Eric!

One more highlight for me — Jason was absolutely awesome. No malaprops, no comedy, he caught Sarah Newlin and told her exactly what he thought of her. I knew he wouldn’t be able to kill her. For a moment, I thought she was going to find a way to kill him. Thankfully, no.

RIP, Steve Newlin. At least he had the last word. “I love you, Jason Stackhouse!”

Bits and pieces:

– Sarah running up to the roof to expose the vamps to the sun reminded me of Godric’s death, another excellent TB episode.

– Maxine Fortenberry attended the funeral, and said that Hoyt had moved on to a human woman.

– I kept thinking about the fact that Andy just lost three daughters. No funeral for them.

– Does Lettie Mae even know that Tara is a vampire now? I honestly don’t recall.

– Lafayette’s funeral outfit was glorious. Loved the fake eyelashes with the purple tie and hat band.

– And finally, there was one more good thing about this episode. We only got about two minutes of Warlow.

Quotes:

Sookie: “Eric took our deal and fucked it in the ass.”
Seriously, Sookie?

Eric: “You’re free. Go forth and kill the humans.”

Eric: “Help me remember. Have I ever healed you before?”
Jason: “I don’t think so.”
Eric: “Well, you are in for a treat. And when you dream of me, dream of nice things.”
I want to see Jason having sex dreams about Eric. Does that make me a bad person?

Terry: “Every life matters. Throw it back.”
What a gentle soul he was.

Finn: (to Eric) “I fucked your progeny.”
Jason: “You did not just go there!”

Ginger: “Well, if it isn’t my knight in shining armor.”
Lovely. And if she screamed once, she screamed three times. Love Ginger.

Eric: (to Steve) “Every time I’ve lost someone I loved, you were there.”

Eric: “I saved the therapist for you.”
Pam: “You take such good care of me.”

Sarah: “What’ll become of your soul, Jason?”
Jason: “I don’t know. But at least I got one.”

So on the one hand, we had death. And on the other, we had death. Completely different, but both great. Four out of four catfish,

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her friends review their favorite shows at Doux Reviews.)

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Jeremy

August 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Billie Doux, where do you think Eric went at the end of the episode? The last time I remember a vamp shooting up into the sky, was when Bill did it, earlier this season.

My wife disagrees with me….obviously Bill rejected Lilith, but is it possible that Eric has somehow gone to Lilith and is taking on Bill’s role as the God vampire in some fashion?

Thanks

August 11, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Eric doesn’t have a connection to Lilith – he’s never had her blood. If you watch the Inside the Episode featurette, Brian Buckner gives a little insight into what’s going on with Eric. He killed all those humans out of rage and grief, but it didn’t fill him up the way he’d hoped so he took off to do…something.

• Nothinbutjoy

August 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

He did actually have Lillith’s blood. They had it at the Authority Headquarters, got high and Eric gave Bill a piggy back ride.

That said, I don’t think he is taking taking on a Lillith-esque role. I just think he’s an awesome, ancient, hurting, TICKED OFF vampire.

August 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

That’s right, I forgot about that little taste he had. I don’t think it’s still a part of him, though.

• Nothinbutjoy

August 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What I’m reeeeally hoping is that Eric FINALLY has the chance to process everything that has happened to him since Season 4. He had his memory taken. He shared such special time with Sookie and felt real love for the first time in centuries if not millenia.

He was not the same Eric after that season, but was never given real time to show the effects. There were glimpses of it in how he and Pam just hadn’t been connecting and all that, but he’s never had the chance to figure out how he is to move on with his un-life.

He had told Pam he did not like killing/f’ing vampire he once was, so I can see where the Vamp Camp massacre didn’t satisfy him like he hoped it would.

• BillieDoux

August 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi, Jeremy — As Mel said, Eric doesn’t have a connection to Lilith. Eric has flown several times before. He’s just old and powerful. I have no idea where Eric went. I just hope he comes back soon. :)

• posh

August 12, 2013 at 12:41 am

Seriously? Am I the only viewer that was disappointed in episode 9? The funeral just felt way to drawn out, I mean this is episode 9 of 10! Maybe we all feel the “True End” of the show is lurking very close and want some MEAT with less sides. I must say Steven Newlin’s death was nice, by the hands of Eric as was Russel, which btw I feel has so far been the best bad guy of the show =)

• r&bmom

August 12, 2013 at 4:27 am

I reluctantly have to agree with you. Many touching scenes during the funeral, but I was bored. With one episode left in the season (seriously!?!), I thought it did little to advance the story lines. Lots of great insight into Terry… too bad he’s dead!

August 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

The funeral wasn’t about advancing storylines, it was about establishing characters and relationships for next season. The Vamp Camp storyline, you have to admit that had some major advancement!

• vela

August 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Totally agree, I felt I watched a real funeral, touching and all, but men, not what I want to do in a sunday night. Instead of spending all this episode saying good bye to Terry, they should had spend some time writing a meaningful storyline for him in the last season. In brief, it was boring, but at least the Vamp cam scenes were good. I am curious about what is in Eric’s mind.

• Cris Gates

August 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I don’t understand the thinking behind the comments that the time spent on Terry’s funeral and the back story of Terry was wasted time. It not only told us of how cherished Terry was to his family and friends, it gave us more insight into Sam, Lafayette and other characters who will undoubtedly have more story to tell in Season 7. I love the action and gore as much as the average Trubie but I like knowing the characters I care about are portrayed with characteristics that real people have. It’s worth the time spent to make a show with quality. As long as the writers and actors portray the surealistic world in a way relatable to my exhistence I’ll be a forever fan

• Joseph

August 12, 2013 at 3:31 am

Something much, much more sinister is lurking within Warlow.

Eric’s going to find Sooke and we will finally get to see exactly who Warlow is and learn his true motive.

He is 6000 years old.
      That’s over 2 Russel’s in terms of crazy by the way.

This show blew me freaking away.
      I really like the character of Terry now. I forgive the writers for the ifrit.
      At the very end everyone was expressing love; people were searching and needing the one that is the most to them.
      It was a show celebrating love.

Eric went for Sookie.
      I hope that they do a good job with the final Eric, Warlow, Bill stand-off.

• Lane

August 12, 2013 at 9:02 am

Eric going to Sookie may be on the right track. On the preview, you hear Sookie telling someone “I can’t bring back what you’ve lost” or something to that extent so you may be on to something. In the first episode, Nora did tell Eric that he was in love with Sookie so you never know.

• Cris Gates

August 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

I agree. I think Eric realizes that vengence goes only so far and that in the end being with and caring for the ones you love is the true way to honor those you’ve lost. He may not end up with Sookie being in love with him but by stopping her from sacrificing herself to Warlow ihe demonstrates his love for her. The BEST episode!!

• YM

August 12, 2013 at 11:53 am

Eric does not know about Sookie considering Warlow’s proposal, does he?

August 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Nope. Eric doesn’t know anything about what’s going on with Sookie and Warlow.

• Cris Gates

August 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm

True, he doesn’t know what’s going on with them but I think he realizes that Sookie is important to him and is seeking her out. He’ll become aware of her situation and try to help. I actually think it’s Violet’s arm giving Sook blood in the promo for E10.

• SouthernGirl306

August 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Totally agree – Eric is gone for Sookie…I think that he is still upset that she didn’t bring Warlow to save his sister …but in the end he will be there to save Sookie. I do NOT trust this oh so loving Warlow..he clearly has a hidden agenda..can’t wait for the finale!

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I have a theory: Eric returned to the fairy plane. There are two possibilities here. One, Eric will kill Warlow; even though Warlow’s blood is no longer needed, I think Eric would kill him to spite Bill. Two, Eric will confront and possibly try to kill Sookie in revenge for Nora’s death, even though Nora herself said that Warlow’s blood would not cure her. Who knows? Maybe he’ll go for the twofer!

2. Mel

August 11, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I’m so glad you liked this episode, Billie. It’s possibly my favorite out of a spectacular season, and definitely in my top 5 of all time.

The Terry flashbacks were lovely and effectively brought us back to season 1 True Blood, just like we’ve been promised. And I loved, loved, loved that Sookie outted herself so she could bring Arlene comfort. Terry was the source of so much love in that town.

I’m watching it again and just got to the part where Eric recognizes Ginger’s scream. They’ve used her beautifully this season. The Vamp Camp storyline was really gruesome, but I’m so glad they’re out and we’re on to the next part of the story. For the first time in a long while, I’m curious what happens next to Bill. And I’m very curious where Eric took off to – Honolulu?

• sookieeleana

August 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm

This was one of my favourite episodes ever too – please if you get the chance can you tell Brian Buckner how amazing it was!

The final scene with Eric and Pam tugged so hard at my heart-strings. I hope we see Eric in the finale (and not just in Jason’s head lol). I think Alex got some extra time off this year but I don’t think I could manage waiting for more Eric until next year!

3. Andromeda

August 11, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Lettie Mae knows Tara’s a vampire, she visited her at Fangtaisa once. I think it was right before Pam gave Tara her first human meal.

The funeral/flashbacks were so touching, and the best part was Arlene’s thoughts at the end and how she was able to find solace in it. I also enjoyed the cameo by Alcide in non-douchebag mode. The Alcide that everybody loves. “I know that scream” was great, and so was how James and Jessica went back for Bill at the end. I’m so glad he’s not dead. But the part of the episode that gave me goosebumps was the part where Big John was singing about how life matters over top of seeing Jason wrestle with himself over killing Sarah.

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Yeah, that scene with Big John’s singing over Jason’s struggle over whether or not he will kill Sarah was absolutely pitch perfect!

4. Joseph

August 12, 2013 at 12:38 am

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!

5. Danielle

August 12, 2013 at 1:07 am

Wish sarah would have died, but great episode. I loved the flashbacks. that grandma was getting on everyones nerves.

6. zachary abernathy

August 12, 2013 at 1:19 am

OMFG…….he ripped his PEE PEE OFF AND THREW IT AGAINST THE WALL!!!!!

AND THEN THEY *SHOWED* IT!!!!
    THE TIP/ HEAD AND ALL!!!!!!

EEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!

that made me scream and cry……painful to watch totally.

August 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

All the full frontal female nudity we’ve seen on this show and THAT makes you squeamish?

• Dave

August 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Why would full frontal female nudity make anyone squeamish? Not knowing the difference between that and a guy’s genitals ripped off and left to bleed out makes me afraid of you.

August 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

What I didn’t understand was the complete visual Zachary felt needed to be made. It seemed so important to him to fully describe what we all saw anyway as though that were the offense, and in all capital letters so that it was a shout. So yes, Dave, maybe you should be afraid of me. Things like that scene as well as the full frontal female nudity DO make me very uncomfortable. Be afraid Dave. Be very afraid.

• Livml

August 14, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Lmao

• Andromeda

August 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I’m gonna have to agree with Dave and Zachary on this one. I don’t bat an eye at the naked girls, but seeing a guy get his junk ripped off (and then having it lay on the floor next to him) was a new level of twisted. It made me cringe, and I’m not even a guy!!!

• Tracy

August 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

That was some hard core gore.

• Livml

August 14, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Yes, and why didn’t he lie to Bill about Jess? That was also gruesome

August 14, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Because he wanted to die and he knew that would encourage Bill to do the deed quickly.

7. vaddict76

August 12, 2013 at 4:46 am

Wow! I just watched this episode in a dark corner at work( had to sneak as I knew it would include some glorious blood and nudity)Thank Goddess for HBO go. I was expecting Terry’s funeral to bore me but I was very surprised. What a touching tribute from big John! I teared up listening to his beautiful song and voice for that matter. What was with Lettie Mae and the reverend. He gave her a strange look when she spoke to
    Arlene. Hope she’s not hittin the bottle again. I never expected to see Sookie’s head on Alcide’s shoulder this season. Mama like! The vampires escape and subsequent revenge on those nasty humans was great to see! I like how Eric took the head shrinker to Pam for her to “take care of “. I was sad to see Sara escape but I’m sure she will get hers in the end. The short scene with Warlow led me to believe that he knows
    Sookie does not really want to be with him. I think he will let her go. Eric flying away? I think he needs some time to clear his head. He certainly did not want to join Bill’s entourage of sunlight-high frolicking vamps. I sure hope we get to see James in some regular clothes ( or without any at all) he is hot! Can’t wait for the season finale!!!

• Vampiremaniac

August 12, 2013 at 6:17 am

I don’t think Ben who was waiting Sookie for 5500 years will let her go. Actually, she will force her to be his in my opinion. I am extremely worried about Andy since it seems his daughter will become a meal yet again. And I think Eric went on a killing and f!#%g rampage to defuse his rage. That’s so sad since I believe he will unleash this rage on innocent humans.

8. Vampiremaniac

August 12, 2013 at 5:34 am

Yes, it was a very good episode.

1) Is there anyone else wondering what happened to the other imprisoned doners besides Ginger? Why do I have the feeling they killed them?

2) How “selfish” of all these vamps to leave Bill on the floor dying when he saved them, dah! Thank god he has a progeny. And I am pretty sure that Bill has still Lilith inside him.

3) I was expecting Sarah to survive, Jason wouldn’t kill her. I hope she regroups, she makes the perfect human villain.

4) We see that TRU BLOOD is already distributed, I think it might be too late.

5) The scene where Eric smashes his cage was totally unnecessary, they just showed us how easily it was to smash it and yet he didn’t when he should.

6) Where the heck Eric’s going? Why do I have a very bad feeling about this?

August 12, 2013 at 11:14 am

5) If only Eric hadn’t been shackled inside that cage, and had a large bed to throw at it from inside. ;) The point of that scene was to remind us WHY Eric was on a rampage.

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Elsewhere, people have been asking how those vampires who hijacked the TruBlood truck knew the blood was contaminated? I had an unpleasant thought; they didn’t. They were just so desperate for the product that they would willingly kill for it. Don’t forget, the minister who provided at Terry’s funeral talks about sick vampires looking for victims in the previews for the season finale. Hooboy!

9. Lisa

August 12, 2013 at 8:32 am

I think Eric smashing the cage was supposed to show us that he was still enraged about Nora’s death(because that is where she was injected with the Hep V) and that freeing the vamps and Killing the humans had not satisfied him.
    I also think that Eric realized after losing Nora what is important to him, his family and Sookie. He saved his vamp family and now he is off to save Sookie from becoming a fairy vampire bride. I remember a few seasons back where Pam had a similar reaction to Eric’s feelings for Sookie, where she was crying on the floor, and had to be comforted by Ginger. I love it when Pam shows emotion, I’d cry if Eric kept leaving me too!

• Jesse

August 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

Actually Bill saved his family as Eric arrived too late to save them from the Sun. I think that is one of the reasons Eric isn’t satisfied with what went down. He got the killing in and saved a bunch of random vampires but the truly important ones, Pam and Willa, he didn’t get to save himself as Bill beat him to it.

August 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

I don’t think Eric cares one way or another about Bill right now. He’s still rage-grieving over Nora. It’s not about Bill or saving the girls at this moment, it’s about what he lost and the fact that he was powerless to stop it.

• Jesse

August 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I don’t think he cares for Bill either, but it is a very shallow feeling to set out to rescue a Lady (or three in this case) and to see a rival beat you to it.
          That and the group was way too happy for Eric at that time with Nora having just gone. There are times when it is better to be alone by yourself than alone in a group.

• Tracy

August 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I think that is it – he doesn’t feel like celebrating and maybe doesn’t want to bring them down.

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Let’s not forget; Bill is the prophet for Lilith the great and powerful. So far as he was concerned, it was his responsibility to rescue the vamps in the sun room. It was, in essence, a race to see who would be the hero; Bill couldn’t afford to let Eric cut in on his action!

10. Kim

August 12, 2013 at 9:12 am

Maybe Eric is going to some of the locations where the TB is being distributed to try to stop some of it? Did they destroy the Hep-V containers?

August 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

That was my spec, Kim. We saw contaminated Tru Blood delivered to vamps in Honolulu for a reason.

• Buckspa

August 14, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I think Eric is going back to warlow as a means to use him to help save the rest of vampires from hepV. Eric knows it will be an epidemic, guess he figures warlow is the man( vampire/fairy) to fix it. He will inadvertently happen upon him and sookie getting married.

11. Lisa

August 12, 2013 at 9:22 am

I dont think Eric would need to go to the distribution locations. It appeared that the vamps in Honolulu were already aware that the blood was poisoned as the vamp was attacking the driver. I think word travels fast in the vamp community.

• Jesse

August 12, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am wondering about that. We didn’t see then destroy it like they did at the camp, they ran off with it intact. That might have been just a good old fashioned heist so those vampires didn’t have to share it with the rest. This might be why there are roaming hungry Vampire packs, they won’t trust true blood to drink anymore.

August 12, 2013 at 11:21 am

The vamps in Vamp Camp hadn’t been released yet when the Tru Blood arrived in Honolulu, so how could word have spread? I think the Hawaiian vampires just killed the driver because they could.

• Jesse

August 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Eric knew when he escaped with Nora, and while Nora was very much his priority (as she should have been) Eric was a sheriff and would have known how to contact other Kings/Queens and/or sheriffs to let them know what was happening.
          Alternately after Eric showed up at Bill’s with Nora and Bill found out what was up, as a (current? Former?) King he would have had the connections to spread the word.
          This would have occurred off camera as it wasn’t truly vital to see it to understand that could have occurred. If the Hawaii vamps had destroyed the product I would assume they had gotten word from Eric/Bill but they took the product intact which is why I am wondering if they knew or not.

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm

That bugs me; how could they have possibly known, since those who did know were imprisoned in the vamp camp? Who told them?

August 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm

The vamps in Honolulu DIDN’T know about the tainted Tru Blood. That, and other distribution points, will be the source of the HepV infected vampires we saw in the preview for the next episode.

12. Sara

August 12, 2013 at 11:08 am

I agree that the funeral was a little too drawn out. Not to say Terry wasn’t important, but to have half of an episode, 5% of the entire season, dedicated to his funeral? A little excessive. How much time would they have to dedicate to a primary character’s death?

Also, don’t hate on me for saying this, but the vampires are a tad hypocritical. We’re supposed to value the life of each vampire in Vamp Camp, but the viewers are seemingly expected to cheer when Eric and company viciously murder all those humans? Sure, they weren’t innocent, but neither are a lot of the vampires.

Finally – anyone else notice there was a bug crawling on Sookie’s leg during her first conversation with Alcide at the funeral? Teehee

August 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

The purpose of Terry’s funeral was to honor the character, yes, but it was also to bring the characters back together and give us a chance to reconnect with them a la season 1. It’s setting up season 7.

• Livml

August 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I loved the funeral being throughout the whole episode. Big John’s singing made me cry. Arlene said he would’ve wanted the black minister, and you know what? Can’t have that without also having singing at a funeral! For weeks people have been complaining about not seeing everyone in Bon Temps. Well now he have it. Terry was great and I think he was a main character! He’s been around since the beginning for crying out loud.

I think Eric flew out to find the tainted TB. He was in the room when they were shipping them out. He knows his job isn’t over yet. The other vamps don’t know that.

13. Tracy

August 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm

How did Bill finally know where the white room was?

• Jesse

August 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

He found a temporarily surviving guard in one of the Gen-Pop rooms and forced him to take him there. What ever happened to said guard was shown on camera unless there was a body laying off to the side somewhere I didn’t pay attention to.

14. Tracy

August 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I loved the episode for the most part. I really wanted Sarah to die, but it’s good that she’s still alive, because she’s so good at being bad.

• Andromeda

August 12, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I totally agree with this. It’s the same reason that I’m bummed that Steve’s dead. I get why Eric killed him, but his patheticness this season has been a riot to watch.

15. Rebecca

August 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I think Eric took off to be alone as some have suggested and not to go to Sookie.
    The preview where Sookie says “I can’t return to you what you’ve lost” may have been Sookie speaking to
    Bill (about his humanity), to Benlow (about 6000 years waiting for someone he didn’t know),
    to Alcide (about Debbie), or Eric (about Nora). There isn’t just one person she could’ve been speaking to.
    That’s what makes those darn previews so great…they’re so vague.
    I thought Terry’s funeral was amazing. Everyone sharing their memories of Terry. It does endear us to the characters as a lead in for Season 7.

16. Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

It was hysterical to watch Steve Newlin trying to get to Bill to drink his blood, only to have the others blocking him. It reminds me of the little kid on the school playground wanting in on the fun, but the big kids won’t let him play.

• Grannie_4_7

August 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

Traci West, “Absolutely THE best episode of the season! It was beautifully paced, with the scenes from funeral/flashbacks interspersed with the raid on the camp. The memories of Terry began with him being in the grip of PTSD, and progress through his healing process, ending with him content with Arlene and their newborn. Very effective! One of the best moments was Big John singing while Jason struggles with the notion of killing Sarah Newlin.”

I absolutely agree, Traci. Well said. I thought the timing of Big John’s song and Jason’s struggle to kill or not to kill Sarah was absolutely masterful! Well done, writers and directors and everyone else involved!

I absolutely loved Jason’s character in this episode! In so many ways he is such a pure soul. Ryan Kwanten has played him superbly from episode 1 Season 1, right through this last episode.

I loved, Loved, LOVED this episode!

17. Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Something is bugging me. We’ve seen Eric drain a full-blooded fairy dry (Claudine), but the effects only lasted until maybe midday, which is only a matter of hours. Yet, we’ve seen Bill drink perhaps the equivalent of a quarter can of soda of Warlow’s blood, and if I judge the way time passes on the show correctly, he is on at least Day Two of being able to walk in daytime. How is that possible? One would think that Warlow’s vampire nature would mitigate the effects of fae blood on vampires. If Bill could last for two days on such a small amount of blood, how long will Eric be able to walk in daytime, since he almost drained Warlow dry?

August 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm

It’s been established over and over that Warlow’s blood is “special”. As a faerie/vampire hybrid, he is impervious to the sun, thus those who drink his blood are as well. It’s not the same thing as drinking Claudine’s blood. That said, I’m also curious how long the effect will last, and what the vampires will do to get it back.

• Traci West

August 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I posted this same question on HuffPost, and the person who replied brought up an interesting point. Dr. Takahashi told Bill that he couldn’t synthesize fae blood because it breaks down almost as soon as it leaves the body. The reply hypothesized that the healing properties of Warlow’s vampire blood would stabilize the fae blood, which would make the effects last much longer than they would under normal circumstances.

18. SouthernGirl306

August 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Does anyone know how long Warlow’s blood effect is suppose to last? Will the vampires continue to walk in the sun? Bill seem to be walking about for days and days only after having one small vial.

19. Traci West

August 14, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I’ve just realized something. Nobody who was part of the Sanguinista storyline last season brought up a very fundamental point: everything that has happened with the vampires this season is Bill’s fault. Why? Because he was the one who suggested destroying the TruBlood factories. Gov. Burrell himself said he couldn’t have enacted his anti-vampire agenda without the destruction of the TruBlood factories. So, the loss of vampire civil rights, the imprisonment and torture of vampires in Vamp Camp, Nora’s death, the beginning of the Hep-V plague; all of that is on Bill. Yet, no one has confronted him about this. Even Lilith doesn’t tell him that it was his suggestion to destroy TruBlood that brings about the vampire crisis. The only person who comes close is when Pam is arguing about it with Nora early in the season. Even Eric doesn’t confront Bill about his responsibility. I wonder if anyone will? Bill’s no hero; he just had to clean up the mess he made.